Code of Conduct

Default Beginner Question (Help)

Hello Everyone,

I would like to make eau de toilette samples to go along with my jewelry. I have started researching methods. Please excuse any questions that may sound ignorant. Please correct me if Im wrong. To my understanding, the scent has to sit for at least 4-6 weeks once alcohol is added. If so, would it be better to make perfume with jojoba base? I am trying not to get overwhelmed thinking of not being able to supply the demand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Beginner Question (Help)

There is a lot of unhelpful advice out there, which seems to result in people arriving here with the same questions time and again. Using jojoba wonít help with causing your fragrance to mature faster, but it will cause it to go rancid eventually because jojoba goes off. Ethanol does not go off and that is one of several reasons itís the top choice as a perfume base.

Also you can make an oil based perfume with jojoba (or better with an oil that does not go off such as DPG, or fractionated coconut oil) but it wonít make an Eau de Toilette - the effect is quite different.

The best way to improved the speed with which you can produce a fragrance is to pre-dilute your ingredients in ethanol and blend them that way. Youíll still find the resulting blend improves over the first few days and weeks, but the biggest change takes only 24 hours or so.

Final thought: the questions you are asking suggest that you may not be ready to start making a commercial product - the regulatory and safety issues you need to understand are way more complex than anything weíre talking about here - rather than try to learn to be a perfumer yourself in a short time, why not collaborate with a perfumer to make the Eau de Toilette for you to go with your jewellery?

Over time you might learn to make it yourself if you are keen to do that, but if you want something now I think you need some professional or at least semi-professional help.

Hope that helps
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    There is a lot of unhelpful advice out there, which seems to result in people arriving here with the same questions time and again. Using jojoba wonít help with causing your fragrance to mature faster, but it will cause it to go rancid eventually because jojoba goes off. Ethanol does not go off and that is one of several reasons itís the top choice as a perfume base.

Also you can make an oil based perfume with jojoba (or better with an oil that does not go off such as DPG, or fractionated coconut oil) but it wonít make an Eau de Toilette - the effect is quite different.

The best way to improved the speed with which you can produce a fragrance is to pre-dilute your ingredients in ethanol and blend them that way. Youíll still find the resulting blend improves over the first few days and weeks, but the biggest change takes only 24 hours or so.

Final thought: the questions you are asking suggest that you may not be ready to start making a commercial product - the regulatory and safety issues you need to understand are way more complex than anything weíre talking about here - rather than try to learn to be a perfumer yourself in a short time, why not collaborate with a perfumer to make the Eau de Toilette for you to go with your jewellery?

Over time you might learn to make it yourself if you are keen to do that, but if you want something now I think you need some professional or at least semi-professional help.

Hope that helps

Thank you so much Chris for all the helpful info. I agree about so much to know about the regulations. I would rather collaborate with a perfumer because I assumed it might be expensive and I did not want the product to be more than $25. However, this seems to make more sense. Thank you.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arielle123 View Post
    Thank you so much Chris for all the helpful info. I agree about so much to know about the regulations. I would rather collaborate with a perfumer because I assumed it might be expensive and I did not want the product to be more than $25. However, this seems to make more sense. Thank you.
    Happy to help - a collaboration does not have to make it expensive - perfumers work with clients on several different cost bases according to their needs. In my case I often design but then the client does the manufacturing themselves (this is particularly practical where clients are international) some have the product manufactured by the perfume company or a third party, some pay for concentrate and do their own dilution and there are different models for charging that can be used too: Which works best for you will depend on who you want to work with, how much control you want over the scent, what your anticipated volumes are and what facilities you have for making things yourself.

Drop me a message if you want to talk about it or just shop around for a local perfumer to work with: there are quite a few of us around the world who do this kind of work.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.