Code of Conduct

Question Extrait dabbing techniques - suggestions sought, please!

Thanks to the encouragement of several kind BN'ers, especially Larimar, I now have several extraits in split form. I love them passionately and don't want them to spoil, neither could I bear to waste any! So, what do you think are the best ways to dab?
    I read somewhere that just upending the phial on to your finger, and then dabbing the juice on your pulse spots, which is what I generally do, means that skin cells go back into the phial and spoil the frag. Is this true? What about using the dropper itself as dabber? But then, skin cells go back on to the dropper. I wipe the dropper on my clothes before putting it back, but even so, various bits of debris - human, fibre, etc.! - must surely go back into the bottle?
    Help! Desperately seeking ideas! What works for you? Am I just being neurotic?

Default Re: Extrait dabbing techniques - suggestions sought, please!

Cotton wool?

Blog Entries

Transfer the contents to tiny (1ml) rollerballs. Yes, skin cells will go in but you will probably use up the small amount in there before spoilage can happen. You can clean the rollerball before refilling with the same scent.

If you worry about soiling the extrait, why not use a pipette (one specifically designated to one extrait). I have that for some old treasures, but mostly I don't care, if the amount of jus is less or equal 1 oz./30 ml and I expect to use the perfume.
    I am so glad the splits worked out for you, redrose!

I simply touch the bottle directly to my neck/ear/pulse without any fear.

Blog Entries

A while ago, one of the perfumers of the House of Guerlain made a presentation in Saks Fifth Ave. Department Store in New York. This question came up, that skin cells will travel back into the bottle when dabbing directly. So, he said, "after dabbing directly on the skin, be sure to finish with the last dab on a piece of your clothing. Fibers that may get in that way also, are far less detrimental than human skin cells."

I have occasionally used a Q-tip ... dipping it into the extract, soak up enough, and then paint with it, your pulse points, your skin. Save that Q-tip in your scarves, and eventually toss it.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I once spoke to James from Les Senteurs about being paranoid about getting skin etc in to the extracts. He said, its your skin so why are you worried. Just dab with the stopper or your finger as long as they are clean and no hand cream on when dabbing. Its light, heat and air which are the things to worry about.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    I simply touch the bottle directly to my neck/ear/pulse without any fear.
    Probably what I would wind up doing also.

Basenotes Institution

I buy those small 1 ml glass screw top bottles and decant extrait via a pipette . It keeps the original bottle clean and I can carry my extrait in my purse too .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thank you for some very good suggestions here. I'm a lot less worried now, especially after your report, Donna, on what the wonderful James at Les Senteurs told you. And my extraits are quite small, anyway. But 30roses, your idea about rollerballs is interesting; I've never tried this, but will check it out. When I used the stopper to dab on my frag, I did finish by wiping it on an old silk scarf, Ursula, and the scarf now smells incredible!
    And Mimi Gardenia, I do like the idea of decanting with a pipette and then carrying around very small amounts of my scent in my purse. Kind of like the rollerball idea. I'll try each and see what happens.
    Mr Reasonable, yesterday I did try dabbing on a small cotton wool pad (it was my N'Aimez Que Moi extrait I used), and then tucked the pad into my bra, just like Mum and Grandma used to do. The scent did stay fresh all day and wafted up to my nostrils tantalisingly. On a busy day this may be the best bet.
    And Larimar, yes, the splits worked out very well, and now I'm becoming an extrait addict!

BTW, a bit off-thread, but I was really surprised at how different the extraits are from the EdP's in many frags. I think the extrait is probably what the creator aimed at. Well worth saving up for!
    Last edited by redrose; 3rd May 2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: taking out superfluous stuff

Basenotes Institution

Redrose- yes, extrait can be surprising different from EDP or EDT . I think you caught the 'extrait bug' like me !
    Re. rollerballs- I find it hard to control the amount coming out of roller balls- it drives me crazy with Child perfume oil and Kai perfume oil which come in a roller ball topped bottles. There always seems to be wastage on the roller ball and a bit of leakage. I can't afford to waste a drop of extrait so I use those cute tiny screw top dab bottles.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm all with Mimi here. I hate rollerballs. You cannot control, you cannot distribute everywhere. Yes to dab, such as the Arabian style bottles with a little plastic stick to dab.

cacio

I use coffee stirs for my Bois des Iles parfum.

Surely even Extrait are based on alcohol/oil and the alcohol will sterilize any bugs and will the tiny bit of oil from skin make any difference to the smell?

As for coming into contact with skin cells-we exchange them with humanity all the time. No one lives in a bubble unless in a reverse barrier nursing side room in hospital