Code of Conduct

Default Advice on buying from Hong Kong

Hey all, my friend is traveling to Hong Kong in 2 weeks , i asked if he can get me these 2 so far

Bois des Iles - from Chanel boutique

Chanel Egoiste

Guerlain L'instant Extreme

Anyone with experience with Hong Kong, will these be easy to find? prices will be cheap? Any of other recommendations into what i should get

He will be staying around Harbour City i think, if that helps

Default Re: Advice on buying from Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by kandiman View Post
    Bois des Iles - from Chanel boutique

Chanel flagship stores carry Les Exclusifs. Try the Chanel GF IFC Mall - beside Star Ferry on HK Island or Chanel Boutique in Princes Building, Central

Chanel Egoiste

Any Chanel counter in the major malls. Harvey Nichols in The Landmark, Central or Pacific Place.

Guerlain L'instant Extreme

Not available in HK
    Have a look thru the Threads in the HK City forum for other info.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 4th May 2012 at 04:41 AM.

I bought some Chanel exclusives in Hong Kong. They are about 20% cheaper than in France because of the VAT.

thanks for the replies, baiyouli may i ask where you bought your exclusives? were they hard to find?

I bought mine in Prince building but I saw them afterwards in several places like IFC. Hong Kong is simply amazing in terms of shopping outlets for any kind of luxury goods. It's easier to buy French luxury goods in HK than even in Paris sometimes!
    I'll be going end of July please tell me about your visit. i wonder if the new Amouage Beloved is already available as the prices for Amouage are also very good in HK!

Awesome, well i'm not going, my friend is, i'm just trying to make his life easier to track down the items i want. I think he will be near IFC so that would be good

How much were the exclusives?

How much cheaper for Amouage?

Well it was two years ago but I think I paid about 1.100 HKD for the 200 ml exclusives bottle and about 1.000 HKD for the Gold Travel set.

Those prices sound pretty good, is Amouage easy to find and prices decent? Looking for he Jubilation.

Amouage is carried by Lane Crawford IFC.

You can email or call them for prices - just google Lane Crawford.

Most brands availability are covered in the Niche and 2011 Threads.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 4th May 2012 at 06:49 AM.

I have a queston ,too Mr Reasonable. Do you think Chanel carries the extrait de parfum versions of the exclusives in Princes Building?

Yes they do but no guarantee they will have stock at any given time. I bought Cuir de Russie in Princes Bldg. and Bois des Iles at IFC. Given that Chanel IFC is purely about fragrance and cosmetics I think they are a safer bet for being stocked up with the Extraits. There's another smaller Chanel cosmetics store carrying Les Exclusifs in Yun Ping Road - just along from Lee Garden, which is actually quite cool - much less attitude and way less precious about giving you a sample if you are genuinely interested in something.

Great! Thanks for letting me know so I won't have to buy it in Paris. If you think there is attitude in Princes building you should see Rue Montaigne! I'm looking forward to discovering Yun Ping Road!

Sent an email to Lane Crawford, prices look good

The Amouage Jubilation XXV (For Men) is HKD$1,200/ 50ml.
    Jubilation 25 (For Woman) is HKD$1,400/ 50ml; $1,700/ 100ml.

100ml Amouage Jubilation XXV not available at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by baiyouli View Post
    I bought some Chanel exclusives in Hong Kong. They are about 20% cheaper than in France because of the VAT.
    Ha! didn't know that. The other goods like purses/bag/clothing are the opposite about 30% cheaper in France after VAT.

@OP, They only sell L'instant de Guerlain EDT here at the counters. If you wanted the extreme version, it would be much easier to find it online.

Thanks kandiman! That's 30% cheaper for me than in France. Do you think they have the Attars?

You have to pre-order the Attars, baiyouli - they are not stocked here. It took a few weeks for my Tribute to arrive. BTW I was in today and they tell me Opus IV is due to arrive shortly.

I'll be in HK for the art fair. I remember the perfume section at Lane Crawford, but now I understand it's gone. You mentioned that there are shops in the IFC (International Financial Centre). Do you mean that each brand has its own outlet? They are not grouped together?

I am particularly interested in
    Tom Ford
    Le Labo - Rose 31
    Andy Tauer - l'air du Desert Marocaine
    Montale - Black Oud
    Muscs - Kublai Khan

Thanks alot for any advice 😊
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Only 2 you mention are available in HK.

Tom Ford Store Level 2 IFC & Lutens in Shiseido G/F Harvey Nichols Landmark, Central.

Worth looking in on Lane Crawford IFC when you are there - it's the only place for Amouage now and a few others. They are all in one section with a few ancillary counters scattered around.

I wish someone would carry Le Labo in HK - the Bergamote shower gel stuff is great.

I'll be going to Hong Kong and Shanghai soon too and I want to buy some fragrances as well. Does anybody know if the prices in Hong Kong are cheaper than Shanghai. I know Hong Kong has a relatively cheaper price for Branded goods compared to Singapore and other Asian Country, but i don't know how are the prices in Shanghai.

Quote Originally Posted by baiyouli View Post
    Well it was two years ago but I think I paid about 1.100 HKD for the 200 ml exclusives bottle and about 1.000 HKD for the Gold Travel set.
    Wow that is extremely cheap. Last year i happened to be in Singapore and their price for the 200ml exclusive bottle is about SGD450++ ( can't remember the exact amount) ...Approximately about USD 300++. It is crazy but i bought it anyway since I'm insane and love coromadel so much and it is so hard to find fragrances in Indonesia.

On the other hand, the prices for Frederic Malle in Singapore is quite reasonable as it is around the same as the US prices. Unfortunately, they only carry the 100ml size. How are the prices for the Malle in Hong Kong.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by andreas2x; 14th May 2012 at 02:31 AM.

HK is a tax free port so that helps. Tax on perfume and luxury items bumps everything up by about 30% in PRC, not really a good place to buy perfumes at all - this is why we have long lines of mainlanders outside LV et al stocking up on handbags to take back and sell to the nouveau riche in China.

Amouage is pretty cheap in HK compared to most markets but Malle, Lutens etc. are priced almost to the dollar as US listed price - if there's any saving to be made it may be in VAT or sales tax depending on where you come from. Joyce carry both 100ml & 50ml Malle, BTW.

Just a note on Singapore - if you can bothered taking your passport and ticket along when you buy from major retailers they will give you a special receipt / form that you can then present at Changi on the way out for a cash refund of local sales tax. Be prepared for an hour of interminable nonsense at the airport - you have to show them the actual items, so do it before you check in.

Thanks for the explanation =)...So very true regarding the queue lines outside those shop...i'm pretty sure even Hermes is swamped by people from china..

Yeah they get tax refund from singapore. However it's only 5.5% and up depending the amount you shop. But still, it is still more expensive in Singapore.

Anyhow now i know that i should just exchange more HKD and less RMB hahahaha

Thank you, Mr Reasonable!
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

I am going there next month, so I come here to find some advise.

I'm just visiting from Europe and with the low Euro I find perfumes rather expensive for me. I found Amouage Hommage and Interlude 20 % cheaper than in France at ITC. Also I enjoyed testing some Victoria's secrets scents at the Venetian in Macau. They are not very sophisticated but not available anywhere else in Europe or Asia and I liked Noir Tease.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    HK is a tax free port so that helps. Tax on perfume and luxury items bumps everything up by about 30% in PRC, not really a good place to buy perfumes at all - this is why we have long lines of mainlanders outside LV et al stocking up on handbags to take back and sell to the nouveau riche in China.

Amouage is pretty cheap in HK compared to most markets but Malle, Lutens etc. are priced almost to the dollar as US listed price - if there's any saving to be made it may be in VAT or sales tax depending on where you come from. Joyce carry both 100ml & 50ml Malle, BTW.

Just a note on Singapore - if you can bothered taking your passport and ticket along when you buy from major retailers they will give you a special receipt / form that you can then present at Changi on the way out for a cash refund of local sales tax. Be prepared for an hour of interminable nonsense at the airport - you have to show them the actual items, so do it before you check in.
    Any idea on how much does a bottle of Lutens and Tom Ford cost in HKD?
    I will be there soon and hope that the low Hong Kong dollar will make it much more worthwhile for me to purchase it over there compared to Singapore.

Not sure of exact prices - normal Lutens was HKD 780 (USD 100) last time I looked, and I think black labels around HKD 980. Of course there is no added tax in the store etc.

I haven't looked at the Tom Ford place for months so not sure on them, sorry. If I'm over at IFC I'll look in. The HKD is pegged to USD so we are weak against against just about every damned currency on the planet right now . . . you should do alright buying here.

Lutens at Shiseaido counter G/F Harvey Nichols in Central and Tom Ford Boutique 2/F in IFC Mall (close to Four Seasons). You can walk from Central over to IFC.

Cool, the Lutens are about S$30 cheaper compared to the retail price here.
    Tempted to pick a bottle up now.

Basenotes Member

I didn't want to start a new thread since my question is essentially a follow up to the OP. In any event I'll be in HK in about a month and am hoping to pick up a few niche scents. I'm coming from the US so I know (or I think I know) that I'll save on taxes...but otherwise are the prices of fragrances the same? I think I saw someone post that Amouage frags may be bit less in HK then in the US...is that the case? How's duty free on departure?

Any thoughts, insights, etc would be appreciated.

Best,
    David

Amouage are cheaper, most niche are the same list price as US and Duty Free is pretty useless apart from whatever flavour of the month is getting pushed and the odd travel exclusive deal.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 12th October 2012 at 06:02 AM.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Amouage are cheaper, most niche are the same list price as US and Duty Free is pretty useless apart from whatever flavour of the month is getting pushed and the odd travel exclusive deal.
    Hi there Mr. Reasonable,

Thanks for responding to my query. At the moment I am considering Boir d'Orage/French Lover @ Joyce (TST), Amouage Epic Man and/or Homage Attar @ Lane Crawford (IFC Mall), and I may also try to make a visit to the Harvey Nichols in TST and have a sniff at the Guerlain counter. Particularly interested in Eau de Guerlain.

I'm staying in TST for a few days then heading to Phuket for a week and then returning for two days at staying close to the IFC mall. Of course I am traveling with family including my 2 year old son and trips to sniff frags will be made during his nap time.

Curious as to the prices of Amouage Frags @ Lane Crawford as their website doesn't even list that they carry them and I''ll assume that Malle's, Guerlain's and others will be priced about the same as in the US.

Epic Man at LC IFC will be a good buy - not sure list price but will be better than US for sure. They don't carry the Attars and have recently dropped the Opus Library series, I'm afraid, but was there the other day and the main line all look be in stock.

Good call for Joyce in The Gateway and Guerlain at The One - 10 mins. walk apart. I think they Eau de Guerlain at The One - if not is stock Harvey Nicks Central is about 10 mins. walk from IFC, so might be worth checking before you head over for your Amouage

I met Frederic Malle tonight again at Joyce in Pacific Place, funnily enough and had a nice chat - sorry I missed your post till now, I could have checked list price for French Lover!

You'll be fine when you get here - best time of year to visit, too! Cheers.

Basenotes Member

Thanks so much Sir! Really looking forward to the visit...and if I get to sniff and purchase a few frags that would really be icing on the cake.

Just curious but about how much are the Amouage 100ml bottles?

Best,
    David
    Last edited by daverasi; 30th October 2012 at 09:56 PM.

Didn't find china mainland as a category.well, I'm new in Shanghai. And though it doesn't seem a niche perfume paradise, I saw Chanel exclusifs and Dior prive and Tom Ford private blend in flagship stores. So, you will probably find Armani, too. I did't ask for the price. I fear it is much more epensive than in HK, probably even than Paris due to quite protective customs regulations..
    An idea?

I think the various tax and license costs add about 30% to what we pay in HK, DieNase, altho it may be a bit less for some the flagship stores will be pretty heavily marked up, that's why we have so many mainlanders down here buying fashion stuff and bringing it back into PRC to sell.

Basenotes Member

I want to thank Mr. Reasonable again for putting this wonderful guide together!

I happened to have a chance to visit the Lane Crawford @ IFC and picked up a bottle of Amouage Epic Man. Came out to 1600 HKD or $206 USD which is a really great price. French Lover/Bois d'Orage was about the same as at home but I still picked up a bottle as I didn't have to pay any tax.

Great! Glad you did alright here

I hope I will get the chance to Hongkong somtime mext year. Anyone a price update for Chanel exclusif? Are they still 1100 HKD the big bottle, which would be bloody cheap? Do they carry the small 75 ml as well? For which price?
    Can't wait to get my first FB of la Chanel Exclusif. Still living on decants and running out of bois des iles...