Code of Conduct

Thread: Krasnaya Moskva

Thumbs up Krasnaya Moskva

I've been hanging out here for awhile, but have not yet seen a reference to this stuff (Red Moscow). Forget the Soviet imagery, it's pretty good. I finally managed to get some of it in the US, after last having bought it in Budapest in 1979. My memories may enhance my enjoyment, but give it a try if you can find it. Inexpensive, too. If this intrigues you, Google it; there is an article on Bois de Jasmin.

Default Re: Krasnaya Moskva

Have tried this one, but carnation is never going to thrill me. Red Moscow is quite a spicy oriental in the manner of Opium, but with more emphasis on clove, as I recall.

It can be purchased here:
    http://www.cosmeticbag.com/cgi-bin/c...manda=rus_nost

Wow! i like the bottle!
    i am a sucker for different bottles i don't care if they seem a bit gimmicky!

If you live in the Chicago area, there is a lovely Russian store in Lisle, Illinois where it and other Russian scents can be purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    Have tried this one, but carnation is never going to thrill me. Red Moscow is quite a spicy oriental in the manner of Opium, but with more emphasis on clove, as I recall.

It can be purchased here:
    http://www.cosmeticbag.com/cgi-bin/c...manda=rus_nost

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    Wow! i like the bottle!
    i am a sucker for different bottles i don't care if they seem a bit gimmicky!
    Ditto!

And thanks for the lead Paisley - is there anything you can't find!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Actually, the real Krasnaya Moskva is the Coty L'Origan type. I still have a bottle my grandmother purchased in the 1960s. The version sold now seems to be closer to the fragrance that used to be called Krasnyj Mak (Red Poppy). That one was definitely close to Opium.

Wink Re: Krasnaya Moskva

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria
    Actually, the real Krasnaya Moskva is the Coty L'Origan type. I still have a bottle my grandmother purchased in the 1960s. The version sold now seems to be closer to the fragrance that used to be called Krasnyj Mak (Red Poppy). That one was definitely close to Opium.
    When I was at that Russian store last spring, they did have a poppy - labeled
    perfume, but I was too busy with the Red Moscow and a Hyacinth that I purchased. The Krasnaya MoskvaI bought last spring was at least evocative of the
    Red Moscow I purchased in Budapest in 1978. Have to try the Poppy next, I guess.
    The scent originated during Tsarist times and was originally called something like "The Empress' Favorite," I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by vezerne
    The scent originated during Tsarist times and was originally called something like "The Empress' Favorite," I believe...
    It is a very interesting fragrance, although I smelled it so much during my childhood that for ages I could not stand it. It reminded me of my mean school teachers.

From what I have read, it is not clear whether it really originated during the Tsarist times. There are many conflicting stories. Even Novaya Zarya, the company that produces them now, is not clear on the true source of origin. Of course, the story of the Tsarist times is much more alluring. Nowadays, searching for the aristocratic origins is very fashionable in Russia.

I have a bottle of this at home that my Russian friends brought as a gift, among many other things. It has been hiding in the back of the closet since but have recently sniffed it. Pretty cool and a piece of history for sure. Not sure which version mine is I need to sniff it again. I grew up and now again live in Hungary so I never thought of actually using it but it is sort of like a reliquia.

I have a sample of it and some other Russian perfumes sent to me by a lovely basenoter/MUAer. Red Moscow is a big carnation-spicy thing, old fashioned but grand. Or des Scythes is a golden floral thing in the Joy mold. Tete-a-Tete is a chypre. I'd say of all these three that, at least in the vintages she sent, they borrow ideas from the French (in this case, perfumery) but the execution is much cruder. But that's been Russia's problem on a host of intellectual scores, even in revolution, for about 250 years or so.

I am very curious now. I have a friend that is in Russia right now, maybe I should ask her to look for it.
    My mom had Tet a Tet when I was a child. She did not like it much and neither did I. I remember I thought it smelled of...mustard.

Lol DD, well, you are still welcome to a sample or decant from mine)) no Krasnaya Moskva does not smell like mustard but smells heavily like carnations, not bad at all, just sort of vintage in feel and of course reminds me of old Hungary but if I smell it without thinking of that I think it is a good juice actually.

In Russia it's said to be very similar to Chanel nr 5