Code of Conduct

Default SOTD Thursday 3rd May 2012

Morning everyone!

Well I was going to wear something really special today but I read lucasai's review of HdP Noir Patchouli with my morning coffee and so I couldn't resist a little dibble dabble of that!

I will wear my wee specially later!

Have a good day everyone!

Default Re: SOTD Thursday 3rd May 2012

parfumerie generale querelle

Good afternoon dear ones!

Im wearing Iris Silver Mist today.

Its too good. I'll get another one. I cannot risk a reformulation. I sincerely doubt that a reformulation would result in a more intense/natural orris root rendering than the current formula.

for swap/sale:

Good morning!

I am wearing
    Eau de Sisley 1 edt,
    from a sample.

Morning All,

A couple of spritzes of Sycomore as I dash out the door.

Have a lovely Thursday, gang.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning !. Glad to see you are out and about again, G. Not so lively here at work and in need of a pick-me-up - a glass of home made schnapps sounds like just the tonic. Calling Austria

SotD is D'Orsay Le Dandy.

Hedonist - you are the best smelling person in Abu Dhabi today without question

Bonjour

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Up to see my daughter off to school, but crawling back into bed now-- I've had too many late nights and not enough ZZZZs!

I will be testing a few samples obtained in a swap later, when I'm more awake.

Sur la Plage

Good morning! My SOTD is Aedes de Venustas EDP.

Notes include rhubarb, vetiver, red berries, tomato leaf, incense, green apple, hazelnut and honeysuckle.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Thursday 3rd May 2012

from a decant
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo (from a decant)

Basenotes Plus

Good morning!

Wearing Frederic Malle Carnal Flower today. One of the best
    tuberose fragrances ever made, it's simply breathtaking.

Have a great day!

Lilybelle, I have also had my fair share of rose disappointments this past weekend, including: Caron Delire de Roses, Diptyque Eau Rose and even Rosine new Glam Rose (I thought I finally found my dream -- sweet, with lytchi and raspberry, getting powdery with wear -- No! it goes completely awry as time passes becoming musky and high-pitched, with this unpleasant pantyhose undertone).

Thanks to L. for thinking about me re:quince. Not much of a drinker (I drank all I could some 20 years ago, I think?), I would enjoy some jam/preseves.

Have been wearing Cabaret EdP (transparent bottle without red-tinted triangles), TJMaxx find (100ml for $16.99) and enjoying it immensely. The ambrette note is muted and shows up only for a short time in the beginning, with roses and other florals taking centerstage.

Still miffed about BN in general, but I will get over and return to exposing my charming cranky self.

Good morning everyone Had to get up early today since my second interview for the assignment was scheduled then. The interview went well, and I'm again a littlebit more optimistic about the whole assignment ( despite the fact that I lost one of my planned informants in the veru last minute and haven't found a new one yet) Sotd is #19. Have a great day all!

Hello all. Bottega Veneta
    DONNA

Good morning everyone!

I'm going for a run in Eau des Merveilles, then I'll contemplate what's on the schedule for Jazz Fest today ...maybe Ani DiFranco, maybe Florence and the Machine ....or maybe we'll just skip it today and think about it tomorrow. My parents are away so we're doing some house-sitting, which actually means hanging out by the pool with a book and a cocktail ....so much more enticing at the moment than crowds and bustle. I need a vacation.

((Twolf)) - I've been thinking of you.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Good morning gang!

Sampling Jo Malone's White Lilac & Rhubarb. 30 Roses, I see why this has become one of your most used scents! I'd argue that this deserves a spot on my most natural lilacs list. This really makes me think of being out in our yard when lilacs are blooming. Not with my nose right up to the blossoms, though; this makes me think of that lilac scented trail that travels around on the wind. The "sillage" coming off those bushes is what my husband and I love best about growing them. Will re-spray WL&R for him when he gets home later; he's going to love this.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Good afternoon! I have just discovered that the synch tomorrow is "a blast from the past so I will keep my special thing for that.

Wolfie has put me in a notion for roses. So Paestum Rose from a sample!

Blog Entries

Muguet Blanc (2009)
    Van Cleef & Arpels

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Basenotes Institution

Rushing today, I'll talk more later...

Habit Rouge L'Extrait by Guerlain

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Haven't decided what to wear today. It's raining, a nice spring rain, and I'm not sure if I want a scent to spice things up, or a scent to go with the rain. I would love some lavender, but since my actual real lavender plants are in bloom, I don't want to offend them. Y'all smell great, I'm sure, but many of you BNers today are wearing frags I've never had the opportunity to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Lilybelle, I have also had my fair share of rose disappointments this past weekend, including: Caron Delire de Roses, Diptyque Eau Rose and even Rosine new Glam Rose (I thought I finally found my dream -- sweet, with lytchi and raspberry, getting powdery with wear -- No! it goes completely awry as time passes becoming musky and high-pitched, with this unpleasant pantyhose undertone).

Thanks to L. for thinking about me re:quince. Not much of a drinker (I drank all I could some 20 years ago, I think?), I would enjoy some jam/preseves.

Have been wearing Cabaret EdP (transparent bottle without red-tinted triangles), TJMaxx find (100ml for $16.99) and enjoying it immensely. The ambrette note is muted and shows up only for a short time in the beginning, with roses and other florals taking centerstage.

Still miffed about BN in general, but I will get over and return to exposing my charming cranky self.
    (((Hugs))) Twolf. It has been frustrating lately, that’s for sure. You know, I wound up wearing Grès Cabaret last night, too. It is one of my very favorite rose fragrances, one of the perfect ones, in my humble opinion. It is elegant, yet accessible, skin scenty, and nothing overdone about it. And it leaves the most wonderful scent on clothes, too. I especially like it in warm weather, which is what we’re having now – warm, rainy, humid, close. Yuck.

Perfumedlady, I agree about the JM lilac fragrance. That one is a winner. Leaves, stems, blossoms, all of it, and the rhubarb is restrained. 30 Roses sent me a decant and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Full bottle worthy if you’re looking for lilac.

Tomorrow’s Blast for the Past Scent Synch suits my current mood. I’ve been enjoying the oldies lately.

Carolina Girl, you always smell lovely. A lot of the fragrances Basenoters wear are not available for sniffing here either – I order a sample online if it is something I’m dying to try. But I’m happy with my tried and true wardrobe, too. I know what you mean about rainy day fragrance decisions, is it better to complement the rain, or combat it? I usually go for complement, unless I’m feeling glum and need a picker upper.

I’m sampling Acqua di Sicilia by Santa Maria Novella. Talk about a picker upper! It is a lovely, juicy mandarin/citrus cologne. Just my thing (thank you, L.!). I like all of the fragrances I have sampled from SMN. I would love to go visit them in person some day. Mimi linked an article (was it from a flight magazine, Mims?) a while back that had a feature on SMN. It looks beautiful.

I might go with Grès Cabaret again this afternoon, I don’t know yet.

Guerlain - Derby

Basenotes Institution

Lots of love for all here ! Hugs for Twolfie. Fleurine - you smell great. How does Muguet Blanc compare to Diorissimo ? ( the modern Diorissimo )

This morning joining Fleurine in clouds of muguet - Diorissimo EDT. I actually prefer it to the extrait.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I hadn't noticed that tomorrow's sync is blast from the past, so I guess I am getting a head start. Today I am wearing Farnesiana ED[T/P]? from a 90's-era decant given to me by a friend. I am going into the office today, so I dabbed it via cotton ball instead of spraying, wanted to keep it more subtle.

I've been busy at work, which is why I haven't been participating here as much. The good news is that I applied for a permanent job at the company where I've been working on contract for the last 9 months. I was offered the job starting this week, and have been settling well into my new team.

Tokyo Bloom by The Different Company

Wore Dior Homme yesterday. I had forgotten how much I love this fragrance, so I'm wearing it again.
    nd.230.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Good afternoon! I have just discovered that the synch tomorrow is "a blast from the past so I will keep my special thing for that.

Wolfie has put me in a notion for roses. So Paestum Rose from a sample!
    what's the synch tomorrow foustie ('blast from the past')?? thanks b..

Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

Sending hugs to all as I drive-by-post in Enlevement au Serail. Take care, all.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - SL Mandarine Mandarin.

I keep thinking something smells so good, then realize it's me! Wearing Burberry classic.

Good Evening,

Congats, Matildaben! That's fantastic news. Maybe a new bottle of something to celebrate ?
    Loving the Lutens bell-jar pics. Joining the fun in MKK tonight.

Best to all.

Congratulations, matildaben, great news! I need to begin job-searching now and I'm dreading it - those interviews, ack!

I'm going to wear Cartier L'Heure Fougueuse today. First full wearing from a new bottle. Yipppeee!

Blog Entries

SOTD: APOM pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.

Peaceful poolside cocktails won out ...I'm passing this sultry afternoon in Dune.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    I hadn't noticed that tomorrow's sync is blast from the past, so I guess I am getting a head start. Today I am wearing Farnesiana ED[T/P]? from a 90's-era decant given to me by a friend. I am going into the office today, so I dabbed it via cotton ball instead of spraying, wanted to keep it more subtle.

I've been busy at work, which is why I haven't been participating here as much. The good news is that I applied for a permanent job at the company where I've been working on contract for the last 9 months. I was offered the job starting this week, and have been settling well into my new team.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Congrats, Matildaben, I'm so happy for you!! Wishing you the best of luck with your new job!

SotA is Clinique Aromatics Elixir.

Oh gosh, I almost missed the exciting news! Congratulations and good luck with your new job matildaben!!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

PerfumedLady,
    That is just the impression I get from WL&R too! I'm glad you like it.

Matildaben,
    Wow, congratulations!

About 45 minutes ago, I sprayed on a sample of Galimard Feuilles & Fleurs d'Oranger Cologne Absolue received in a swap.

http://www.galimard.com/index.php/en...ollection.html

"Escape to Tunisia where the softness of sweet almond pastries brighten the beauty of orange flower fields for as far as the eye can see.
    Leaves and orange blossom is an exotic cologne full of freshness and delicacy with soft notes of neroli and petitgrain."

I liked it best on first application-- the neroli/petitgrain was clean, refreshing not too sweet. Within about 15 minutes I got a fruity orange note and was reminded of lollipops. Now the fruitiness is gone and it's mostly night flowering jasmine.

Although I would not wear this, it was great to be able to sample it, as I would always have had the "itch" to know what it smelled like.

Galimard sells several samplers of their fragrances, but the Cologne Absolue collection, being a newer line, is not among them-- maybe in the future they will offer samples of these as well.

When this wears off a bit more I will apply a spritz of my sample of Galimard Brindille, from the same kind BNer.

Blog Entries

Yay! 30R...I was just going to tell Mimi that she needs to get a hold of a bottle of your Muguet (the C & E)...Mimi you have to try this one it is surpringly lovely! The Muguet Blanc is not as good; well made but not sharp enough to me right now...I am going to have to retry in warmer weather.

Very very late today. SotD was Alien Aqua Chic. Not sure what to make of it, light lemony but less than LemonAlien, definitely Alien but lighter than Alien Legere. Very good longevity. Should be named LemonadeAlien lemony, sweet, sharp and fizzy with. Tendency to make you burp if you have too much.

SotE is lovely aroma D'hairdresseur.
    Congrats where due. Hugs here needed

Hi! Everyone smells delicious, as usual!!!!

I’m back from Puerto Vallarta and finally caught up again with things at home. We extended our stay there, and now I think I’ve got withdrawals-- since returning, I’ve had unusual cravings for fruity and vanillic things! Anyway, today it is Casimir for some vanilla and strange fruitiness.

Congrats to Matildaben!

Hope everyone has a nice afternoon/evening!

Good news, matildaben! Congrats!
    Ah come on, Wolfie, Lady Charming... a smooch from good ol' Larimar and all is well!?
    No time for schnapps today, Jon! It's firewood time of the year... always have to think ahead of the next winter to come for sure *shudder*. I'm an efficient worker, so another long shift tomorrow till dusk and it should be done. I shall drown in red wine tomorrow...
    Today was Jicky and Bois des Iles EdT.
    Best to all!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Fleurine, I don't think you and I have the same version of C&E LOTV. You have the long slender travel size, right? That one is the one from 2005. It also came in an edp 50 ml and an edt 100ml. That was a well-loved version; certainly it was better than the current "Lily".

Despite being discontinued, it's still available (on eBay and in gift-type stores that stock C&E products).

The version I have, which dates from 1996, has a paper label and looks like this:

The 2005 is greener and more subtle; the 1996 brighter and breezier. When I wear the 1996 I imagine myself flying down a hill on my bicycle. That sort of breezy! But it's not the most accurate LOTV I've smelled. Even so, it makes me happy.

EBay sellers want an arm and a leg for the 1996 one, but I would not recommend to anyone to shell out that money because it is extremely similar to the much more affordable Molinard Les Fleurs de Provence Muguet/Lily of the Valley.

There was a C&E Lily of the Valley from around 1970 as well, but I didn't find it very realistic and never bought a bottle, back in the day.

Thanks to Fleurine I had the privilege of testing Guerlian Muguet 2012. It starts off very like last year's version but then gets powdery; an animalic note emerges around the same time. Faded from my arm in about 2 hours. Must try it again under clothing, which will undoubtedly make it last longer.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 3rd May 2012 at 08:36 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    Yay! 30R...I was just going to tell Mimi that she needs to get a hold of a bottle of your Muguet (the C & E)...Mimi you have to try this one it is surpringly lovely! The Muguet Blanc is not as good; well made but not sharp enough to me right now...I am going to have to retry in warmer weather.
    Hey Fleurine - thanks for telling me what you think of Muguet Blanc. I think I'll stick with Diorissimo. I must try Crabtree & Evelyn's Lily Of The Valley too .

I must send congratulations to Mathildaben . Well done and congrats ! Good to see you here too .

Also more hugs for Twolfie- you know we love you, Twolfie.

This afternoon I am wearing a few spritzes of Chanel No .5. Such an old favorite and one that has seen me through 21 years so far. It must be some subconscious thing where even if I have the most expensive new perfume .. No. 5 comes clambering out for attention.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

DI lied in predicting a Wednesday with Kindle & BN. In between showers, we found something to work on outside, even in the mud. Today even the dog got filthy today, so wet dog and Au The Blanc are dueling it out now.

Congrats, Matildaben. C U soon. (Kindle typing.)

Even this sometime rose-hater gives Cabaret thumbs up.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Having trouble editing from Kindle so previous post a mite gibbery.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I love BN people, you guys (and ladies!) are the bestest we have got. Even everyone agrees on Cabaret, how about that? (Once again, I love them both EdT and EdP, but enjoying the one that I have now -- EdP. Special thanks to my northern neighbor Kiliwia for sending me some of hers while I was (suffering) without).

Matildaben -- what a wonderful piece of news. Now that your know what the job is about and the people are tolerable to work with, you are the perfect candidate to have it permanently.

Thanks for your very valuable info on Lilies of the valley. Once again, where else but here on BN?

You guys have a nice evening. It is hot here (86F=+30C), and I am in one from "To Do" pile -- Chanel No.19 Poudre. Can't form an opinion yet, too early.

Blog Entries

OK, I am home from work pulling out sample vials from 30R, and the first one I couldn't resist trying is from Ava Luxe (Orange Blossom or Orange Flowers?, maybe)...this reminds me of a BPAL product I have called Oceans of Love and Millions of Kisses Bath Oil.

Kind of a weapons grade orange blossom, but fans of BPAL, and especially of this bath oil might really like it. Very Punk Rock. It actually suits me more than I care to admit....

more later....*wafts away*

PS Is the Molinard Muguet in the new package the same as the Les Senteurs package do you know?

Ferragamo F Black Pour Homme
    Gary

Basenotes Institution

This evening it's No 5 in extrait . My old 2010 bottle . It smells better than the new bottle I bought end of last year.

congratulations, Matildaben! Auditioning is the best way to get a good job, I hope you get good pay and benefits now.

Today in Neil Morris City Rain. From a sample. Funny name I like! It smelled good straight through. Auditioning summer smells; I really wanted the Fiore di Riso but don't have the budget for it this summer and I can't order from Luckyscent in the summer because it freaks me out when the perfumes arrive so hot from the long truck drive (although they get here lightning fast, IMO almost magically so)

Congratulations, Matildaben!!

L'Artisan Parfumeur: La Chasse aux Papillons

Aqua Fahrenheit (Dior)

Thanks, all! My new job is actually with a different team than I had previously been on, but I know almost everyone already and we get along fine. I'm excited about the new stuff I'm learning and working on.

I've been working my way through an Etat Libre d'Orange sample pack in the evenings (on loan from a friend). Tonight is Jasmin & Cigarettes on one arm and Noel au Balcon on the other.

I'm in Rochas Mystère for the evening. Good night, y'all!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

OK, I am home from work pulling out sample vials from 30R, and the first one I couldn't resist trying is from Ava Luxe (Orange Blossom or Orange Flowers?, maybe)...this reminds me of a BPAL product I have called Oceans of Love and Millions of Kisses Bath Oil.

Kind of a weapons grade orange blossom, but fans of BPAL, and especially of this bath oil might really like it. Very Punk Rock. It actually suits me more than I care to admit....

PS Is the Molinard Muguet in the new package the same as the Les Senteurs package do you know?

The Ava Luxe is Neroli Blossom, from back when she was selling her perfumes in non-oil form.

The Molinard I smelled http://www.amazon.com/Fleurs-Provenc.../B000C1W00Kwas in this packaging:

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The Ava Luxe was Neroli Blossom. I think she sells only oil based perfumes now, or did the last time I checked.

The Molinard LOTV/Muguet I smelled was in this packaging:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fleurs-Provenc.../dp/B000C1W00K

I have not smelled the one in the other style bottle.