Code of Conduct

Thread: Azzaro Elixir

Default Azzaro Elixir

102206.jpg
    ....and the point of this utterly boring fragrance is?

Azzaro Elixir is to Azzaro PH what Hot Water is to Cool Water, they don't even share the same DNA.
    Elixir is an oriental fragrance that leaves you with a sweet vanilla and amber accord and nothing more really. I find some resemblance to YSL Homme.
    Next.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Azzaro Elixir

Aaaaaaaarrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just knew it! Oh well, its back to the (still many) unsmelt classics for me.

Thanks, Basteri.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

same here I had big expectations but ... nothing really new or loyal to the original. I was hoping for a EDP version of PH
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Apart from our great expectations, due to its prideful namesake + ELIXIR, itīs nothing special at all with moderate longevity and sillage.
    Pity!
    Last edited by easyfish; 9th June 2010 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I was hoping for a EDP version of PH
    Hi Basteri,
    try Azzaro Pour Homme Intense

ah, god damn it! I'll try it at least, I might like it, who knows...

What's Azzaro PH intense like? Azzaro PH itself is very strong on me.
    Last edited by Zgb; 9th June 2010 at 12:25 PM.

..... stronger and denser... Some like it stronger.

Zgb, you don`t sample Elixir yet?
    Last edited by easyfish; 9th June 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Did write yesterday in another elixir topic. Did try Elixir yesterday and thought it would be similar to pour Homme but they share really not much (i would say better nothing - only the bottle similarities).

Wolfgang Joop! 2008 and 1 Million 2008 are also from Michel Girard and i think they share more similarities. Elixir isnīt as sweet but the Cherry, Berrie Fruity smell was smellable yesterday the whole day. Couldnīt smell much of the woody-spicy-leather and had also problems with sillage and longevity.

Will try it this saturday again.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Got my bottle of this today and like it had no problem with sillage or lognevity either....

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Got my bottle of this today and like it had no problem with sillage or lognevity either....
    Did you get it from a department store, or did you order online?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Did you get it from a department store, or did you order online?
    I have only seen it online - eBay and some discounters.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Guys, having worn it, ApH Elixir is a great frag, imo. A quote from my SotD entry:

Re: S o t D - Tuesday 15 June, 2010
    Azzaro pour Homme Elixir

Azzaro pour Homme Elixir does not smell like the classic ApH but is just as substantial. It introduces itself with a lavender blast tempered by well blended citrus and berry notes. ApH Elixir is mainly about berries and pear, as the colour of the bottle hint, visually. The berries are so natural smelling, not the excessively sugary sweet type in Paco Rabanne's Black XS. There is a suede accord in the heart to base which recalls SL's Daim Blond, but in a richer, more masculine way.

ApH Elixir should not be approached expecting a reinterpretation of ApH (which will only result in negative reviews of an otherwise good, no, great frag). Rather, it seems to be a reinterpretation of the concept of ApH. Most likely, those who were interested in ApH but got turned off for some reason will like this modern take.

I like this and know i am going to love it, just like i do ApH.

Thumbs way up!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I still wonder when and if Elixir will arrive in my country so I can finally try it.
    Last edited by Zgb; 17th July 2010 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    ..... stronger and denser... Some like it stronger.

Zgb, you don`t sample Elixir yet?
    Alas, still hasn't arrived in my country Only higher force, if one exists, knows when.

I got mine on the internet - I feel this scent will have a limited run as a limited edition. I feel this was made for the duty free travel market.

It is not Onyx/Silver Light and has not one thing to do with the original (which I can stand - too dated).

This can be found in every store in Germany. I like it,smells good and has good longevity on me .Definitely not similar with PH.(which ,unfortunately I don't like it)

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I got mine on the internet.
    Same here.

Elixir is smelling more cherry-berry but not strawberry like Paco Rabanne's Black XS.

And before i did buy Elixir i also think and write that azzaro original and elixir have nothing common but now i did discover the fougere accord of elixir which i think have similarities with the original but elixir is really very different and also an very good fragrance.

The comparison with cool water and hot water was not fair. The berry smell which i like a lot is there all the time.
    Last edited by sanatik; 18th July 2010 at 11:39 PM.

Elixir is my SotD and I think itīs... uhmm...ok.

Yes, the "cherry-berry"-thing is present all the time, but not as uncompromising as in Black XS (top notes), which is much stronger however, when it comes to longevity and sillage.

I used up the whole sample (1,2ml I think) and I got about 5-6 hours. Elixir stays close to the body all the time. After the first hour I could only smell it from time to time. The scent itself is pleasant. I couldnīt get all the notes, for me it was basically berries, lavender and the vanilla/tonka base. But Iīm not really good at that anyway and I didnīt pay attention all the time. Another user compared Elixir to Fahrenheit and Egoiste... I get nothing like that, sorry.

I think the perfumer did a good job overall, but Iīm a little disappointed, simply because I expected more and I had hoped Elixir was a more potent fragrance. Maybe Elixir Night will fix this...

Edit: Longevity might be better than I thought, I could still smell it after I woke up this morning. 12+ hours after application.
    Last edited by dannyboy; 19th July 2010 at 11:57 AM.

It seems there is a bunch available on ebay (both testers and NIB's) selling at about 50% of retail... Did anyone happen to buy one of these? If so, which seller did you use??

Basenotes Institution

You're right KMF, jeez, I just checked Ebay and there's a ton of them.

I love cherry notes, but this one sounds like it might be annoyingly simple cherry. I want to sample it first.

dannyboy i am surprised about similarities with fahrenheit too, but the spicy/leather middlenotes which i find a little bit like motoroil could be a similarity.

I also think Elixir is more close to the skin and longevity seems to be long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    dannyboy i am surprised about similarities with fahrenheit too, but the spicy/leather middlenotes which i find a little bit like motoroil could be a similarity.

I also think Elixir is more close to the skin and longevity seems to be long enough.
    What I wrote above is nothing but a first impression. Maybe Elixir is more complex than I thought, I donīt know. If I remember correctly, you own a bottle of Elixir, so youīre definitely the better judge.

I didnīt get any leather and I wouldnīt call Elixir spicy. For me the fruitiness and the lavender stood out, sweetened by the vanilla/benzoin and the tonka. Pretty smooth, too. Not too sweet, IMO. Maybe Iīm gonna buy a small bottle in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post

Another user compared Elixir to Fahrenheit and Egoiste... I get nothing like that, sorry.
    that was me) I wrote:

Finally got this anticipating fragrance. I should say that this is the biggest victory of Azzaro house for the last 15 years. I expected Elixir to be something similar to... Davidoff Hot Water, sweet and powdery. But in result I got a complex scent, that can't be named sweet. The main advantage of Elixir that it is not a copy of sth else, it is rather self-sufficient, has its own soul. To tell the truth, it has two souls: the strong, manly and maybe fougere soul of original Azzaro PH and the the fruity-sweet soul of the new wave of fragrances. But Azzaro Pour Homme Elixir doesn't seem as a modern fragrance, it expresses the mood of 90's to my mind. For me Elixir is the scent of cherry stones, and in this way it reminds Chanel's Egoiste. In the drydown I feel the Fahrenheity floral notes. In whole I would name Elixir a balsamic mix of chypre and fruity notes. Definitely if Elixir appeared in the early 90's it would be an adequate rival to both Egoiste and Fahrenheit.

The scent stays close to skin, but has better than avarage longevity. Sure that women will love it and find it sexy.

Yes dannyboy i own a small bottle of elixir and had the same impression at first. Didnīt recognized the leather accord well but now itīs much easier for me.

AntonPan your Review is really good.

When i compare Elixir to Fahrenheit Absolute i recognize that Absolute smells more similar to Fahrenheit where Elixiries similarities to Azarro pH seems very few. Absolute is possible for Office than Elixir and Elixir is a stronger fragrance than Absolute (schocking weak).

Elixir is my favorite of both till now.
    Last edited by sanatik; 28th July 2010 at 03:45 PM.

Basenotes Institution

So I finally got to try this.

I must say that it truly does remind me of London For Men by Burberry. It has that spicy, fruity, Christmas-holiday sort of vibe - leading up to musky, ambery base notes.

Anyone else smell the similarities?

If so, I think I might prefer the Burberry.

Still havenīt seen this in stores. Weird , cause I believe itīs everywhere in Germany.

Sur la Plage

I was quite disappointed with it. Came off to me as a typical, mediocre designer fragrance - nothing special.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 29th August 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I liked it till it got to the base notes. Then it got a little synthetic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So I finally got to try this.

I must say that it truly does remind me of London For Men by Burberry. It has that spicy, fruity, Christmas-holiday sort of vibe - leading up to musky, ambery base notes.

Anyone else smell the similarities?

If so, I think I might prefer the Burberry.
    Interesting. I will try London again. Did forget it.

Azzaro Elixir shares a vibe with original Azzaro very much. But, Elixir is sweetened, a bit darker and is more suited for clubbing, romantic occasions etc. Elixir is a bit more intimate original Azzaro. Worth owning? If you own Azzaro PH then no. If you used to own Azzaro PH and are up to a little change, then maybe, just maybe, Elixir could be your deal.

I've sampled and worn this fragrance. I don't like it. I wasn't expecting it to smell anything like Azzaro PH, which is fine, but I found its intense, heavy sweetness to be almost sickening. Elixir is one of the sweetest fragrances I have ever smelled, ranking right up there with A*Men (I much prefer A*Men). It is a vanilla-laden dessert cologne, with a heavy dose of either almond and/or cedar. Yuck!

Both A*Men and Burberry London are far superior to this.

I agree with petruccijc - this is a typical mediocre designer gourmand fragrance.

If you look back to previews releases of azzaro, this is much better, and even dense. Itīs the most sweet azzaro labeled for men, that i find it quite feminine, but it has a woody base that keeps it on a unisex label. For itīs low price i think of buying it, mostly because of the wonderful, wonderful smell stayed on my clothes. I much appreciate the smell is laid on fabric of a scent, and this is one keeper. However, i still wait for some release that would be as bad boy as azarro PH and Visit. I would suggest to sample but donīt look for a Azzaro PH... Classics are classics. This is Elixir instead of Azzaro PH elixir.

This is an excellent fragrance that I enjoy, very versatile as well.