Code of Conduct

Default Monsieur Balmain by Pierre Balmain: Work of genius or another Eau de Pledge?

Hey guys:

Anytime somebody posts a thread about lemon frags, you get your posts for Monsieur Balmain. So, I finally got a mini and tried it out. It's certainly a pleasant scent and everything, but I wonder if it really is different enough from the crowd to warrent a purchase. I've tried L'Eau par Kenzo, Eau de Rochas, Good Life, and Pierre Cardin
    Pour Monsieur. I think it would be fine for someone starting out looking for a good lemon frag. However, if you've tried most of the rest, I don't know if this one really changes the equation enough to warrant a purchase, or even a mini/sample. Anyone else?

Default Re: Monsieur Balmain by Pierre Balmain: Work of genius or another Eau de Pledge?

I was very underwhelmed when I tried it recently. I think maybe it's a bit too close to the smell of a lemon for me - I prefer Eau Sauvage, which I think is a more complex creation.

Default Re: Monsieur Balmain by Pierre Balmain: Work of genius or another Eau de Pledge?

I love lemons. But while this seems like an excellent lemons fragrance, it doesn't manage to make the lemons last long enough, nor does it add something that harmoniously adds complexity to lemons, so I'll pass on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Hey guys:

Anytime somebody posts a thread about lemon frags, you get your posts for Monsieur Balmain. So, I finally got a mini and tried it out. It's certainly a pleasant scent and everything, but I wonder if it really is different enough from the crowd to warrent a purchase. I've tried L'Eau par Kenzo, Eau de Rochas, Good Life, and Pierre Cardin
    Pour Monsieur. I think it would be fine for someone starting out looking for a good lemon frag. However, if you've tried most of the rest, I don't know if this one really changes the equation enough to warrant a purchase, or even a mini/sample. Anyone else?
    Every lemon scent has to push it hard to come over the lemon scented household products - nowadays this is mostly heavy duty stuff like urinal cakes etc. Regarding that the Monsieur Balmain does a good job. It is complex enough to differentiate against the ubiqitious lemony. The drydown of course can't be lemon/lime. It is a bit soft woody that resembles the "feel" of the kernels of the fruit - maybe. The overall composition stands out in that it is old fashioned in a good way, by which I mean the softness without screechy woody amber all over fresh and the like. Etro Lemon Sorbet is a quite similar scent in my book, a twist more modern.

MB is straightforward in the approach of its top notes, for sure. However, I find that it has development and structure beyond other "simple" lemon-y scents. There's a beautiful warm vetiver and woods drydown at the end of the story - you do have to apply enough so that it registers on your nose at the end of the day, though. In my experience, MB is one of the citrus scents that I reach for in winter weather as well as warm, because it has enough presence to not wimp out when there's a cold wind blowing.

This is the best lemon scent I have ever smelled.

I find it to be simplicity in a bottle. I went through a bottle one summer, but I never felt compelled to replace it.

there's not only the smell of lemon..but also of verbena . It's a very quiet perfume

Post Thanks / Like

I blind bought the newer bottle:

due to numerous raving reviews here on BN, and was let down by the lack of quality of both the Lemon note, and the dusty base. Longevity is good but what good is longevity when the scent has no appeal to me. I sold it within a few weeks of buying it blind. Allure Blanche is far better for a Lemon-to-dusty drydown type scent. Or better Yet GFT or Bois De Cedrat.

If I were to buy a FB of a lemon scent based on my samples/minis so far, I'm thinking that Kenzo L'eau Par Kenzo is my top pick.
    I'm wondering how many lovers of MB have sampled the Kenzo?

I don't know if I'd call it a work of genius but it's one of my preferred citrus scents.

Post Thanks / Like

I was pushed into trying this after some raving reviews but I was grossly underwhelmed with it.
    I found it extremely synthetic smelling & that really put me off.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, it's in the same vein as YSL Pour Monsieur. Bright citrus top with a faintly dirty drydown. They both smell somewhat old-school which is neither a plus nor a minus in my book. In all seriousness, I think if you're looking for a simple, lemony scent Jean Nate is the way to go because when you try to get all niche-y with something like citrus you're just bound for failure. OK- now go ahead and let me have it...

Post Thanks / Like

YSL Pour Homme is lovely, so is Creed Bois De Cedrat. YSL lasts a very long time for a lemony fragrance. It isn't a bright lemon.

I do want to test it. Right now my fave lemony scents are:
    AoS Lemon
    Skarb
    Colonia Intensa

I also like Homme des Gres but it's a bit dry for regular wearing.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Comparing a cheapie like Monsieur Balmain to Bois de Cedrat is akin to comparing a Toyota with a Lamborghini. I mean, c'mon! Even Allure Edition Blanche is in a different price bracket altogether. When sampling something like Monsieur Balmain I think we need to consider the quality-for-money factor. If you just want a great smelling lemon/citrus, I'm sure there are quite a number that can beat MB but at the same price range? Very very few.

The fact that it's a cheap scent doesn't mean I would take points off of it, in fact it adds to the equation since they've made a good lemon-ashtray scent with nice notes that's both for elegant and everyday settings...that there are some lemon frags better than this? yes there are, but MB is a must-have.
    BTW formulation for the vintage and the new one are very different, the older one having more of a fresher lemon-lime scent and the new one a more "fake lemon" feel to it. Think lemon drops without the sugar.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Comparing a cheapie like Monsieur Balmain to Bois de Cedrat is akin to comparing a Toyota with a Lamborghini. I mean, c'mon! Even Allure Edition Blanche is in a different price bracket altogether. When sampling something like Monsieur Balmain I think we need to consider the quality-for-money factor. If you just want a great smelling lemon/citrus, I'm sure there are quite a number that can beat MB but at the same price range? Very very few.
    Huh? Should read: "Comparing crap like Bois de Cedrat to Monsieur Balmain is akin to comparing a log-boat with a bicycle." The fan boys should bear it, there are several well regarded people considering Creed a wannabe service. The only exclusive is the ludricrous price tag, even bought as a personal "bargain" online, so my personal experience.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^Ummmm....I'm pretty sure he was bestowing quite the compliment on MB.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted Monsieur Balmain to work for me, but in the end I just found it to be nothing special. Which is unfortunate. I agree with Gupts and Dullah's thoughts on this scent.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    ^^^Ummmm....I'm pretty sure he was bestowing quite the compliment on MB.
    Sorry for the bold statement. My emotions took me away

I didn't want to offend someone. honest.

In my book it is hilarious to relate any fragrance to it's price, and more if the name of Creed is in play.

On Topic, neither is the MB a genius (by modern criteria, if such available) nor is it pledge. One has to consider the time of its composition and which chemicals were available back then. Reiterated, the ETRO Lemon Sorbet comes close with a more modern vibe in any "note". The Chanel Allure couldn't do anything for me, what is a matter of taste in the end, not genius.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey that's alright really, no offense taken. But what's the story behind all that underlying 'animosity' towards Creed?
    While there are of course merits in comparing scents on the basis of quality alone (and I have been one of the proponents, if you had done a search of the forums), as a consumer I can't deny that price does come into the picture whether we like it or not. But I agree with you that personal preferences have a big if not final say. The point I was trying to make is that we don't normally compare a roadside diner steak to one served at a 2-3 Michelin star restaurant.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Starts off fierce. Drys down quiet. My six year old said he preferred the 'green one', meaning guerlain Vetiver!

I love it, jus got it today and it's good. But I have to say I've been wearing Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa all day and it doesn't compare In terms of complexity. It's a simple very fresh scent.

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love this fragrance. The semi tropical environment in which I reside just fits it to a "t". My best friend loves Bleu by Chanel and I think MB is just as lemony good!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    I absolutely love this fragrance. The semi tropical environment in which I reside just fits it to a "t". My best friend loves Bleu by Chanel and I think MB is just as lemony good!
    For me Bleu de Chanel was all Angostura bitters!!! Love it too.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Update... It definatly has an Encre Noir thing going in the base..... Which iluuuurrrrve there has to be vetiver in that drydown somewhere.....

Scrumdelish

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it. It's one of those where the time has to be right. Very good in the heat too.