Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Have you tried Andy Taur- Zeta? Great new green!

I am starting a thread because I don't see anyone talking about this one. I am pretty interested in this new scent from Andy Taur. It is a perky linden scent. Really fresh and beautiful. Have you tried it? Any comments?

Zeta Notes
    Lemon, bergamot, sweet orange, ylang, orange blossom absolute, neroli,
    linden blossom, rose, orris, sandalwood, vanilla

Default Re: Have you tried Andy Taur- Zeta? Great new green!

I have a small vial but I need to retest it. Linden always has a functional feel to it; Tauer manages to escape it a bit and tone down the detergent aspect. I recall it as very powerful, though, not perky. But again, my nose is tired and I need to retest.

caio

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I got a sample of it from Luckyscent as I love linden, but honestly I would never have thought of this as a linden scent, if I didn't know it was supposed to be one. I gave the sample away to a POLer who fell in love with it and bought a bottle.

So there you go-- another illustration of how it's all a matter of taste.

You know, I didn't get much green from Zeta. It was mainly about the orange/neroli/orange blossom on me. But still pleasant and I agree with you about "perky". I thought it quite a happy little thing. Wish I had gotten more green, though!

EDIT: Kumquat, I should add that my skin often amplifies those orange & neroli notes. It's just typical for me! Tested Zeta multiple times w/same result. Would really like to smell it on someone who wears it better. Should have kept enough aside for a paper testing.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 3rd May 2012 at 10:55 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Blog Entries

lt turned kind of sour on me, but l only tested it once. l will be re-testing to make sure.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

it's going in my next LS order for test.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

It sounds like a nice floral scent. this line seems popular for good reasons. think i'd like to try some.

It wears so lovely and soft, Zeta is one of the few real comfort scents and I think it's generally underrated.
    IMO it needs to be properly worn to be appreciated.
    I've come close to ordering a full bottle a few times now but there's something just holds me back.
    Generally I find Tauer's wear well in hot weather but threaten to turn a little bitter/sour/odd at other times. Same issue with LDDM and VD.
    I'll keep testing it for now with its purchase looming.

Tried it again, on skin and paper. As said above, linden is intrinsically sharp and soapy and has unfortunate associations to cleaners. Tauer somehow manages to avoid falling into cheap soap territory because the note is smooth and warm. It has a certain herbal tea feel, with something sweet and a touch of the Tauerade-type of spicy base. As perfumedlady was saying, there's no green here, but rather neroli (part added, and part because neroli itself has a soapy facet in common with linden). And, as mentioned above, fresh (in the sense of laundry) it is, but it is not perky at all, rather sedate, like a herbal tea. A great construction for a material that likely does not deserve it.

cacio

A-ha! So maybe wasn't just my skin on this one. I may have even confused neroli and linden; as cacio pointed out they share a soapy vibe. Orange blossom/neroli notes, unless very blended, usually are terribly soapy to my nose. I wonder now if I really knew what I was picking up with this one.

Blog Entries

I guess to me it is more tangy and there is a distinct green/floral vibe that is unmistakeable. I also really get the lemon and bergamot in the top notes.

Laph- thanks for mentioning VD, I think you mean Vetiver Dance? I looked it up and it sounds delightful. I plan to try it next time I order.

Thanks everyone, for your opinions. It's great to hear from you all. Keep them coming!

Kumquat, would you mind spraying yourself with Zeta and hopping a plane over to Indiana? I want to smell it on you! Sounds lovely on you. Even though it wasn't for me (not even sure multiple testings gave me a good understanding) I found it interesting.

Vetiver Dance is beautiful! Very floral on me. Have been considering a purchase. However, worse than laph, it goes urinous on me at times. Makes me wonder if it shares the same type of amber as Malle's Une Rose, which does that, too but I love anyway. I seem to get along fine with that amber during our colder months.

Blog Entries

Ha ha, thanks Perfumedlady, you know I try jillions of these and it is so rare for me to find one I like, I get excited and have to tell everyone about it. Thanks for listening to me.

Perfumedlady:

I also dislike soapy notes in general, and often complain of excessive soapiness in green chypres (which I like a lot). Zeta definitely has neroli and orange blossom in it. From the official description:

Ylang, orange blossom absolute and steam distilled neroli all join a natural and vivid Linden blossom in the heart of the fragrance.

There's also lemon, but again, to me it only accompanies the clean, detergent like central note, as lemon often does in functional products.

Incidentally, I have a spritz of Verdant on me now, and that is indeed green, in the sense of vegetables and leaves. But treated in a lighter way, not as violent as Yatagan.

cacio

I love greens, they are my sort of thing. This looks like a light perfume by the notes, there is only vanilla and wood holding it down. I will try it. I have tried a few of Tauers perfumes and I need to have another try of them.
    Currently wearing: Beautiful by Estée Lauder

heart of ice

I tried this last October for the first time. I didn't really get too much greeness ... or I wouldn't have really like it much. Here's what I wrote in the SOTD thread about Zeta:

I'm testing Andy Tauer Zeta today. It's the wrong time of the year to be testing, I should have been wearing this all summer. It is light and airy, yet has a velvety smooth presence underneath all the bubbles. Very nice!

I have just enough juice in my sample for one more testing, which I've been saving for a warm summer day ... But from my delight after the first test, I lightly penciled it in my "maybe" list.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Thank you cacio! Yes, those notes tend to go soapy in a hissing, screechy way on me, very unpleasant! Zeta was much smoother than that but NO lemon for me! Really was a very orange/white flower scent on me. I love green chypres, too but have the same problem as you at times. Sounds like we smell certain notes the same way!

Shades, love that description! Full of texture, which is just how I found Zeta.

Blog Entries

I generally love TAUER PERFUMES, have tested many, and usually praise them to high heaven. ZETA is not one of them. It certainly has to do with my skin chemistry. However, I find it "too single-minded" in it's linden theme approach.

By comparison, what I really like on my skin, and that one is out of the TAUER line, is

CARON - En Avion Here the metallic green theme dances with the full thickness of CARON perfumes. ZETA is "too thin" !
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)