Code of Conduct

Default Musc Ravageur and Le Parfum de Therese

I recently sampled all of the Frederic Malle scents, and the only ones which truly left a mark were Musc Ravageur and Le Parfum De Therese.

I loved MR but am a bit hesitant to buy a full sized bottle. It has been niggling me for a while now - this feeling that MR is just perhaps a tad too masculine. It seems more like a special occasion scent - one to wear for a night out or a party, rather than to work everyday. Am I the only one that feels this way, or is MR a scent which would actually smell good on a woman for everyday wear?

And the thing about LPdT is that - while I think it's sublime, shelling out $265 for it (+sales tax, if I buy it at Barney's) is giving me pause. I can't help but feel that I can find a similar smelling alternative at half the price.

Default Re: Musc Ravageur and Le Parfum de Therese

I, too, am only fond of a few of them. Carnal Flower literally makes me hot, and I found Portrait Of A Lady extremely interesting...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

What did you think of Lipstick Rose? That one has been interesting me for a little while now.

No love for Une Fleur de Cassie?

Whimsi - I'm glad U brought this up.
    I am pretty new to buying perfumes & I've spent a small fortune already on samplers....Luckyscent & TPC have made a mint!

But so far, I haven't enjoyed most of the popular, newer, niche fragrances.
    That is until I tried a sample of Musc Ravageur!!OMG!!

I think its absolutely one of the best & I haven't a clue why men like it except to attract the ladies
    But I went to college in the '70s and musky earthy animalistic scents were the norm for ladies...now a days not so much, but I do see some comebacks to hippie-dom in the niche markets.

I find if I really really like a perfume, I just gotta go for it...I don't care for that many scents (especially many florals & aldehydes) and lord knows if they will discontinue the perfume in a weeks time like the rest of the ones I like!

As far as an everyday fragrance, I don't think I would go there for any frag, but a lot depends on your work environment - if you work in an office or with the public a lot, you might drive peeps a little nuts except in the last of the dry down stage.

Fortunately, I am not in that sort of a workplace, so I get to wear whatever pleases ME....and if it's Musc Ravageur, so be it!
    Seriously Addicted to Animalics, Chypres and Vintage Pure Parfums!

If youre still niggly over MR, give L de Lolita by Lolita Lempicka a try. The two are extremely similar, but LDL is cheaper and is a little less skanky on the musk.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    My favorite Malle, in particular in its older form (light amberish jus)!

Musc Ravageur is very good, but Le Parfum de Therese is pretty special although terrible on my skin.

Le Therese was a must for me when I first sniffed it. I have a few of the 10ml and had 5mls of most of the others at one point. MR was for me nothing special, so many totally adore it. L'Hiver is the other one I own in full size. Iris Poudre and Noir Espice in 10mls.

I have a 5ml of Cassie heady and rich.
    DONNA

I wear MR as an 'everyday' scent. You can probably pull it off provided you don't overdo it. If you like the idea of it, but find it a bit overwhelming and masculine, you could check out Calamity J by JHAG. That seems to me a much softer, more feminine version of MR, at least in the musky drydown.

Thanks for the comments.

I went to Barneys today, and ended up buying... neither MR nor LPdT. I tested them again, and this time round when I sprayed it, I found MR to be a tad too sweet, and I just couldn't bring myself to shell out $265 for LPdT. It's a great scent and all, but my mantra is that if I'm going to pay north of $200, then it's got to be a real, unmistakable head-turner. LPdT is an absolutely great scent for connoisseurs, but the people I work with aren't that discerning.

So I wound up buying Portrait of a Lady. I remember not liking it when I sampled it, but when I sprayed it today, it was the most potent of all Malles and the most opulent. One spray - two at the most - will last all the day which means the 100ml bottle will last me a good few years.
    Last edited by whimsicaldiva; 6th May 2012 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks for the comments.

I went to Barneys today, and ended up buying... neither MR nor LPdT. I tested them again, and this time round when I sprayed it, I found MR to be a tad too sweet, and I just couldn't bring myself to shell out $265 for LPdT. It's a great scent and all, but my mantra is that if I'm going to pay north of $200, then it's got to be a real, unmistakable head-turner. LPdT is an absolutely great scent for connoisseurs, but the people I work with aren't that discerning.

So I wound up buying Portrait of a Lady. I remember not liking it when I sampled it, but when I sprayed it today, it was the most potent of all Malles and the most opulent. One spray - two at the most - will last all the day which means the 100ml bottle will last me a good few years.

travel sizes... travel sizes...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

You did well, Portrait Of A Lady is outstanding!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    travel sizes... travel sizes...
    The per ml cost is higher than buying a 100ml bottle. I mean, a 10ml refill of MR is listed at $50 on ebay - that's lie $5 per ml, whereas a FB costs $240 for 100ml - $2.4 per ml.

And besides, like I said, MR isn't so much about musk than amber - at least on me, and it tends to turn a tad too sweet on me, and sweet scents don't work well with my skin chemistry. it's one of the reasons many amber scents come a cropper on me - Ambre Narguile, Ambre Russe, L'eau d'Ambre et al. And I find Ambre Sultan and Shalimar are the only two ambers I can easily wear.

I also wear Musc Ravageur as an everyday scent, and it always makes me feel good. I also have l'Eau d'Hiver, which is perfect if you like heliotrope and Apres l'Ondee, and En Passant, a classic spring-summer fragrance that has me smelling like a bunch of flowers.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    I really like Une Fleur de Cassie, actually every time I sampled it I liked it more. Also like, Lipstick Rose, Iris Poudre, Carnal Flower, En Passant and Cologne Bigarade. Didn't have good luck with the Le Parfum de Therese, there was something off about it, maybe I need a different sample, as most people really like it. Still need to try quite a few of their fragrances, they are on my to-test list.

Portrait of a Lady is a great buy, whimsicaldiva, congrats!! I've only sampled it a couple of times, but was impressed by it.

Oh, you picked a great one, whimsicaldiva, perhaps even the best one, imo! But I admittedly have a soft spot for rose perfumes; out of the entire Malle line, the three I own are the big roses - Une Rose, Lipstick Rose, and Portrait of a Lady, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Enjoy it, and wear it in beautifully fragrant good health!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan