Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions for a perfume similar to No 5

Hi everyone, sorry I posted this one in the Starting Out forum originally. Long story short, I'm new to fragrance, at least compared to a lot of you here. My current serious perfume is No 5, and I wear it socially, usually at night. It's good for dates, dinners, etc. I'm a 42 year old woman in search of something similar to it, mainly because the only thing that bothers me about No 5 is its strength. I have the "eau de parfum" version. Also, I'm not fond of something in it, usually somethign I smell early on after putting it on . . . it's a little bit "stinky." I know, that's not a great descriptor.

Ursula mentioned Miriam by Tauer perfumes. that's a promising one. as I said in the other thread, I've heard K de Krizia is similar too. are there any others that could compare, perhaps without that little "stinky" element?

Thanks!

Basenotes Institution

Welcome JanFume!
    I love Chanel No 5 . Try the Eau Premiere version. I'm on Tapatalk right now and it's playing up. Also maybe Quelque Fleurs by Houbgigant.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Default Re: Suggestions for a perfume similar to No 5

Thanks Mimi! I'll have to check that one out. I think I may have tried it a while ago but can't remember. I have read that it is a good alternative, but I guess I was hopint to get outside the No 5 line. but I will try that one.

by the way, what's Tapatalk?

Hi JanFume - welcome to basenotes!

My first suggestion would be to stick with No5 since you like it, but try the edt - it's quite different from the edp and it might be exactly what you're looking for minus the one note that turns you off. Or as Mimi suggested, try No5 Eau Première - it's an updated version of the classic and it's really very beautiful ...I bet you'd love it!

A few others that you might find similar to No5 include Coty's L'Aimant (you'd have to find a vintage bottle though), Robert Piguet's Baghari and Amouage Gold pour Femme. Lanvin's Arpège, also.

K de Krizia is a long-time favorite of mine. It's often classified as a floral aldehyde, but I tend to think of it as a chypre due to its very deep green and mossy base, which is nowhere to be found in No5 ...it also has lots of patchouli that would immediately distinguish it from the Chanel. I really don't think they're similar at all, but I'd certainly recommend it on its own as a fantastic fragrance anyway.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Institution

I see what you mean Jan. Also maybe it's the aldehydes you don't like at the start of No 5 EDP ?
    How about Francis Kurkdjian Aqua Universalis and the Acqua Universalis Forte ? The Forte is besutiful . I'll think of more later ! Perhaps also Chanel No 22 in EDT ?

Basenotes Institution

Sorry for the double post ! it's Tapatalk - going crazy. Tapatalk is an app on my iPod that allows me to access Basenotes .

How about VC&A First? Lots of aldehydes and florals.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I see we were posting at the same time JanFume, so I didn't get that you want to get away from No5 ....you should just disregard my first paragraph up there.

Oh, First is a great suggestion, Primrose - I'll second that one!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Institution

Oh yes First by Van Cleef is excellent .

Thank you for the welcome Evangeline! And thanks for these suggestions. You know what, I think I've heard of L'Aimant, probably because it's Coty. It's definitely something I've seen before. I'll have to see if I can find it. And the EDT version of No 5 is a good idea, I'm not sure but I think the Macy's near me has that in stock. I'll try it next time I'm there. Amouage - sounds gorgeous, but yikes! quel pricey! maybe a sample site can help me there.

Mimi, aldehydes . . . I'm not a hundred percent sure what those are, but my understanding is that they're limited to the start of a perfume. I'm smelling a slight stink to No 5 for a few seconds. it's almost like urine or something - I know, that's gross. it doesn't really stick around for the whole life of the scent, but it's definitely there briefly and it kind of sticks in my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    How about VC&A First? Lots of aldehydes and florals.
    That one looks good, too!

Yeah, the Amouage is more expensive and not as easily found to sniff, but as beautiful as it is, you can do without it. But Mimi's suggestion of No22 is another fantastic one - there are lots of beautiful floral-aldehyde perfumes out there and you really shouldn't need to break the bank for the right one.

Basenotes Institution

Do try Quelque Fleurs too if you can , Jan . It has less aldehydes than No 5 . Aldehyde s add sparkle and lift to a scent at the beginning - so it could be the stinky factor you're getting.
    Quelque Fleurs was the first multiple floral perfume from 1912 and re worked in 2009 by Rojas Dove .

Yes, No 22 looks like another strong possibility. It's interesting to me that Chanel has so many variations of the floral aldehyde type scent. What about No 19? I've read that one is another animal altogether . . . very green and masculine. seems like it would be a real departure and not exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm curious to know what you think if you've smelled it.

Oh, well No19 is green and utterly gorgeous (not really masculine to my nose, but certainly unisex) and yes, a completely different animal than No5. It's more about iris and leather than aldehydes and jasmine. You should definitely try it when you're trying all the other Chanels we've suggested!

I've seen two different pictures of it, one with a kind of greeny-beige juice, and another with a dark green. This seems really weird to me. No 19 is probably the one Chanel that scares me a little. But you've made it sound differently from how I imagined it. I guess it would smell different depending on EDT, EDP, concentration, etc. I will try it because I'm curious now.

Good - go for it, there's nothing to be afraid of, hehe! No19 might even end up being your new signature! Yep, the different concentrations (as well as formulations through the years) account for the different hues. They're all wonderful in my book, but I think my favorite might be the edp ...nope, the old edc. And I love the current edt, and of course the parfum is awesome, lol ....I just layer them when I can't decide on one, lol!

Rumor has it there's still a No 5 eau de cologne out there, but I've never come across it. A friend told me Chanel makes excellent edcs. I have yet to find one anywhere, except the basic exclusif version on the Chanel site. I'll definitely try it if I find it.

They're not produced anymore, but you can still find them here and there, new-old-stock in the very best case scenario. But the ones that came in opaque canisters were protected from light so even used bottles like this can be near perfect, depending on how well they were also protected from heat. Your friend is right - the edcs were glorious! My very favorite concentration of No5 is the cologne. But I'm only familiar with No5 and 19 edcs ...the pre-exclusif Bois des Iles, No22 and Cuir de Russie may have come in colognes (anyone?) but the Exclusifs are all edts, except for the ones that are also offered in parfum.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 4th May 2012 at 02:58 AM.

That's fascinating. Maybe No 5 in edc form is the one for me. But I'm going to be doing a lot of comparing and contrasting now! lol

This is really quite an endorsement for the cologne. Better than the parfum? and it's lighter, so they must have really done something well.

That's fascinating. Maybe No 5 in edc form is the one for me. But I'm going to be doing a lot of comparing and contrasting now! lol

This is really quite an endorsement for the cologne. Better than the parfum? and it's lighter, so they must have really done something well.

Blog Entries

JanFume,

If you'd like to try Amouage Gold and are in the USA, PM me your address and I'll decant you a sample. A little goes a long way with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by JanFume View Post

Well, the parfum is really the best, the richest and most luxurious, of course, but I like to spray rather lavishly and the edc allows me to do that, lol! Also, it was my first experience with No5 since that's the one my mother wore, so to me, the edc is what No5 is supposed to smell like.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 4th May 2012 at 03:08 AM.

oh thank you 30 roses, I really appreciate that offer. I actually don't use my address on the internet anymore since my identity was stolen a few years back. not even through email or instant messages. only when totally necessary via business/bank transactions - which are also rare on the internet since this happened. I ended up losing thousands of dollars and going through a six month long IRS fiasco because of it. I'm using a (brave) friend's home address now with permission whenever I buy anything on the internet and I'll have to run it by her. but I'll let you know! thanks again for the offer, it's very kind!

Basenotes Plus

Hi JanFume, welcome to Basenotes. I see you've already gotten some good suggestions, I'd like add a couple more. You should try Lanvin Arpege and Cartier So Pretty. Not exactly like No. 5, but both excellent fragrances to try. I see Evangeline did recommend Arpege already. You could also try Caleche and Amazone both by Hermes.

Would you believe I actually saw Arpege at Marshalls not that long ago? I don't really know all that much about it, but I know it shouldn't be at Marshalls. That was chi-chi stuff back when I was younger. guess it still is. thanks for the new suggestions Kiliwia, I'll look into them too. I've never heard of So Pretty or Amazone. Caleche sounds somewhat familiar. Are there some different versions of that?

Basenotes Plus

Would you believe I actually saw Arpege at Marshalls not that long ago? I don't really know all that much about it, but I know it shouldn't be at Marshalls. That was chi-chi stuff back when I was younger. guess it still is. thanks for the new suggestions Kiliwia, I'll look into them too. I've never heard of So Pretty or Amazone. Caleche sounds somewhat familiar. Are there some different versions of that?
    There are 3 versions that I know of, the original Caleche, Caleche Eau Delicate and Caleche Fleurs de Mediterranee. My favorite is the Caleche Eau Delicate, it's much easier to wear than Caleche, which is very strong in the beginning.

Blog Entries

oh thank you 30 roses, I really appreciate that offer. I actually don't use my address on the internet anymore since my identity was stolen a few years back. not even through email or instant messages. only when totally necessary via business/bank transactions - which are also rare on the internet since this happened. I ended up losing thousands of dollars and going through a six month long IRS fiasco because of it. I'm using a (brave) friend's home address now with permission whenever I buy anything on the internet and I'll have to run it by her. but I'll let you know! thanks again for the offer, it's very kind!
    My goodness, that is terrible! I can't blame you for wanting to be very careful.

Have you ever thought of using a P.O. box? Would that reduce the risk when you buy things online? (unless they are shipped UPS of course as they don't ship to PO boxes.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    There are 3 versions that I know of, the original Caleche, Caleche Eau Delicate and Caleche Fleurs de Mediterranee. My favorite is the Caleche Eau Delicate, it's much easier to wear than Caleche, which is very strong in the beginning.
    yes, i see there's one called Kelly caleche too. this caleche line must be very successful!

Basenotes Plus

Haha I totally forgot about Kelly Caleche, I love that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    My goodness, that is terrible! I can't blame you for wanting to be very careful.

Have you ever thought of using a P.O. box? Would that reduce the risk when you buy things online? (unless they are shipped UPS of course as they don't ship to PO boxes.)
    the UPS issue is a problem, but also I'm just incredibly lazy, too much so for a box. the police and the IRS told me that I should abstain from typing my information for keystroke hacking reasons, and something else, some kind of "script" virus. my computer has since been cleaned up but you never know. thank you again for the offer, though.

Blog Entries

That is just plain scary.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    That is just plain scary.
    It is! It's a weird world out there.

Vintage Hermes Caleche is extremely close to No.5

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Jan, girl, don't be scared of our ol' buddy ol' pal 30Roses. She's totally trustworthy. And super generous! Besides, we have the CIA screen everyone who joins BN, so it's all good.

I'm thinking it's the aldehydes that you're finding objectionable. In that case, I'd stay away from 22... it's aldehyde city for like the first 2 hours! There is a beautiful floral heart, but it's sugary sweet... which I feel like kind of makes it difficult to wear if you've... ahem... ascended beyond that 18-25 age bracket.

You may be surprised by 19. I'm not into greens AT ALL but tracked down some 19 for my mom. Seriously, LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. It's a very soft green with some iris and turns almost powdery. Totally wearable and totally versatile. Which, as you said, is not entirely true of 5... 5 in the daytime just feels kind of naughty to me.

Also Kelly Caleche ROCKS MY FACE OFF, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's a spicy rose with big dollop of unexpected leather. Hermes is amazingly generous with samples if you simply go to their website and shoot them an email requesting a few specific samples. Just explain that you don't have a stockist nearby and would like to sniff before you buy. That's how I got my gateway drugs from them... but then you're hooked.

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

Okay, No22 in edt is a sillage monster, so treat with care.

I cannot wear No5, something in it perhaps the particular jasmine, smells very plastic.
    So for years I though I could not wear any aldehydes, wrong.

Guerlain Liu
    Chamade both edt and fabulous.

Annick Goutal Passion(not Gardenia Passion)
    Coty L'Aiment(always called the poor woman's No5)
    Van Cleef First
    YSL Rive Gauche.
    Last edited by donna255; 4th May 2012 at 07:00 AM.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

lf you'd like a classy floral without the aldehydes, may l suggest Chanel Allure?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

The Pink Room No. 1 strikes me as very similar to No. 5, but friendlier. You can get a sample of it on luckyscent.com

Not necessarily a suggestion but more a question aimted towards all since the topic of the thread is No. 5:

Do you like No. 5 and also like Jubilation 25?
    Do you dislike No. 5 and also dislike Jubilation 25?

I find some similarities in them and they both seem fairly aldehyde heavy. On a stretch I'd suggest the OP to check it out but I don't think it will fit the bill as it is more like "No. 5 done in a middle eastern style." That is, it's more stinky, generally speaking, with animalic notes and hints of cumin. Still, it's a beautiful scent - one of my absolute favorites both on my own skin (and I'm a man) and on women's skin as well. A rich and deeply multifaceted scent.

I would second Guerlain Liu. Jacques Guerlains interpretation of Chanel No. 5 with the gorgeous Guerlain vanilla.

+1 Coty L'Aimant (preferably vintage)