Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 120 of 1119
  1. #61
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC/S. Cal
    Posts
    351

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    When I originally went and sampled it at Saks, I wasn't expecting much. In fact, the only reason I wanted to try it was because it had been sooo hyped by BNers. I was predisposed to not like it at first as I find GIT rather common and dislike the hype it gets (I wore Cool Water in college and it just reminds me of that period of time). And to be honest the first time I tried it I was surprised. I expected it to be more dominate from the start as a lot of BN darlings are.

    It took me several wearing to really fall in love with the fragrance. It really creeps up on you, releasing a pineappley woody waft when you least expect it.

    Why I love it is this:
    1. It's fresh without being aquatic
    2. I love pineapple and you don't find it done well in fragrance without smelling like a tropical drink
    3. It's more than just fruity, it's got a nice woody backbone
    - That woody backbone gives it versatility
    - That woody backbone gives it complexity that an all fruit/citrus fragrance would not have
    4. I find I can wear it for any occasion
    5. It LASTS!
    6. It is not challenging to average nose, so I feel i can wear it anywhere any time - Ah versatility!
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

  2. #62

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    I like Aventus but it is not one of my top ten. I can easily see why people love it though. It is a big approved quality brand name and also a fragrance that uniquely succeeds in its task of providing fresh green masculine scent.

    Aventus is also very exceptional because it evokes a consistent reaction, "that smells nice!" or "I like the way you smell today". Comments like this will always come first to mind when evaluating a fragrance. But, what sets Aventus apart from other fragrances?

    Fragrance brands have been trying to capture "green essence" in perfume for a long time. We have a subconscious desire to pull the mystical essence from nature and imbue ourselves with green life giving and healing powers from the planet. Aventus has captured a smell that successfully accomplishes this natural desire to possess the healing green essence and it is also a masculine scent. I know, I know . . . Aventus is not a natural essence! But, it does get that reaction when people smell it. Pinneapple freshness, verdant greens, scintillating woods, a bit of mossiness and it is lasting and it emits a very pleasant lingering vapor trail that smells fresh as the idea of what green goodness should smell like.

    Also, people really like to have a big brand name that signifies quality and superiority and the coincidence of having the Creed name on the same bottle with a fragrance that works well is just too much good luck. It is exceptional.

  3. #63

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The reason it gets so much love is because it has all the mass appeal of the lowest common denominator mass market scents, but still lets people feel superior and snobbish because they spent $100-200 on a bottle of scent that "nobody else is wearing."

    Snobby + (compliment)slutty = community hype.

    See also: New Haarlem, LIDGE, DHI.
    I totally agree.

    I also want to add this: I think the fact that Aventus' sillage travels across rooms and lasts for days on clothing (although most people who own a bottle won't agree because of olfactory habituation) it allows a larger percentage of the wearer's "audience" to smell it, compliment on it, and fall in love with it.

    Highly complimented fragrances by definition have to "reach" people's noses often.

    So, IMO the equation to Aventus' success is something like this: Great (mainstream and accessible) smell + Awesome sillage + Long lasting + Feelings of exclusivity + (High price = higher self-worth) + Internet hype = Blockbuster fragrance sales

    That being said, I'd love to own a bottle!
    Sales thread here

  4. #64
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    I try to avoid jumping on the hype train as much as possible and judge scents for myself. I tested Aventus and found I got great longevity from it, combine that with the fact that pineapple is my absolute favorite fruit and I love the fact that a fragrance finally had that note, and I was sold.

  5. #65

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    its an ok fragrance but not worth the money.
    i could easy spent 180 euro instead on a hermesesence fragrance.now thats quality!

  6. #66

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Because of its complexity, longevity, and unique scent. It draws so many compliments even though its the king of olfactory fatigue. One of the most mysterious scents ever made IMO..

  7. #67
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    killeen texas
    Posts
    1,143

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    i dont see the big deal in aventus
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

  8. #68

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Most talk about the Pineapple but it's all about the drydown for me. The compliments Aventus brings are a most welcome side effect.

  9. #69
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,630

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    The hype is exceptional, even for a Creed.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    i honestly had low expectations for it. the first 3 times i wore it, i didn't like it.

    now, i'm in love with it. it takes time to appreciate, but it's a true masterpeice.

  11. #71
    Super Member Charlie2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    383
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    One of my favs......Always a good choice
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

  12. #72

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    I think it's pretty awful tbh. I asked lots of people to smell it on me and asked is this cheap or expensive and every person said 'Cheap' Just smells of smoke to me - simply don't get the hype.

  13. #73
    Super Member Scent-imental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    261
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by Freschi View Post
    I had the chance to finally sample Aventus. From what I've been reading on BN, I expected one exceptional fragrance.

    I like it but certainly not exceptional. For example, I find more complexity and excitement in Azzaro PH.

    I have a feeling it gets all the attention in the world just because it's expensive so people automatically think it's exceptional?

    What do you think?
    Got a decant recently, and completely agree with you. It's nice, but there are others i prefer. Maybe it was not a "good batch" but i don't want to buy into that whole Creed batch number anxiety

  14. #74

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    I find it to be exceptionally just okay.
    I agree!!

  15. #75

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    I just spritzed on a sample, I'm STILL trying to figure out the hysteric and unwavering universal mass praise on this one *shrugs*.

  16. #76

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by JyyskNotes View Post
    Easy answer: great longevity, great projection and great overall smell. Also very versatile.
    Nutshell

  17. #77

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    It's pretty unique. It leaves a great scent trail. And the sweet pineapple, apple, and black currant (supposedly) contrast and work very well with the smoky birch tar.

    I like it and think it's good. I've just never fawned over it. But I appreciate it more with each wearing.

  18. #78

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The reason it gets so much love is because it has all the mass appeal of the lowest common denominator mass market scents, but still lets people feel superior and snobbish because they spent $100-200 on a bottle of scent that "nobody else is wearing."

    Snobby + (compliment)slutty = community hype.

    See also: New Haarlem, LIDGE, DHI.
    I agree with this. I would also add (or more likely elaborate) that Aventus' smoky pineapple smell is fairly unique (nothing is particularly similar ala GIT/Cool Water or MI/L&L/Sean John) with both adds to the feeling of exclusivity and excites fragrance collectors who get bored with more common notes/blends (especially on the fresh side of scents).

    Also, from what I've read (don't have first hand experience), Aventus has deceptively strong silage/projection so many frag-heads are likely over-applying (more people will notice). Wearing a much more crowd-pleasing than usual favorites (which tend to be stronger, older, more challenging scents) garners a lot more complements than usual, thus hype is born.

  19. #79

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    It's unique smelling, I can't think of another fragrance that smells like it. Great smelling too, so that makes it exceptional....Price is ridiculous though, as is the annoying fact that it fucks with your nose like crazy and you have batch variations.

  20. #80
    Basenotes Junkie psychoskip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    Posts
    525

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    I love aventus threads.

  21. #81

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The reason it gets so much love is because it has all the mass appeal of the lowest common denominator mass market scents, but still lets people feel superior and snobbish because they spent $100-200 on a bottle of scent that "nobody else is wearing."

    Snobby + (compliment)slutty = community hype.

    See also: New Haarlem, LIDGE, DHI.
    Aventus is what GIT would be without clones. As far as being catered towards the snobby buyer, I disagree. The majority of people that are active on the forums have quite a few $100 - $200 bottles in their collections. Also, Aventus is going to be worn quite a bit so you'll get your money's worth. Can't say that about most of the so called "exceptional" fragrances mentioned in threads.

  22. #82
    Basenotes Plus
    senore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NEW YORK CITY
    Posts
    3,854
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Remember, one man's junk, is another man's treasure.

  23. #83
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Aventus just has that special something that makes it stand out, especially to members of the opposite sex. I wear aventus once every week or two ever since I got it 6 months ago. I don't inform my wife that I'm wearing Aventus, but every single time I wear it she gets this weird little smile on her face and then says something to the effect of "wow, what's that cologne you're wearing today"? I'll say "Why do you ask, do you like this one", and her response is unmistakably affirmative. She'll then ask for the name and I'll tell her "Creed aventus", to which she laughs and says something about how consistent she is in her preference for this one. The same general scenario plays out with my teenage daugther every time I wear Aventus. None of my other frags (around 50 or so) elicit this type of response. Maybe my wife will say "you smell good today" with some of my others, but she really prefers Aventus over all others. She tells me that I smell like a man should smell when I wear it.

  24. #84

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Aventus is what GIT would be without clones. As far as being catered towards the snobby buyer, I disagree. The majority of people that are active on the forums have quite a few $100 - $200 bottles in their collections. Also, Aventus is going to be worn quite a bit so you'll get your money's worth. Can't say that about most of the so called "exceptional" fragrances mentioned in threads.
    I honestly didn't write my original reply here with the intent to discredit either Aventus or those who buy it (well, those who are into scent as art anyhow). I actually like Aventus now, despite originally finding it underwhelming, but I think those factors or similar factors account for many of the hyped scents around here, including things like Jubilation XXV, etc.

    I have to agree with Greek Trojan's elaboration, too. Despite it's mainstream mass appeal, it actually is a fairly unique accord, and that is a difficult thing to pull off.
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  25. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    6,675

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think it's a good fragrance because to me it smells great.
    Quote Originally Posted by JyyskNotes View Post
    Easy answer: great longevity, great projection and great overall smell. Also very versatile.
    These ^^^^^^^^.

  26. #86

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The reason it gets so much love is because it has all the mass appeal of the lowest common denominator mass market scents, but still lets people feel superior and snobbish because they spent $100-200 on a bottle of scent that "nobody else is wearing."

    Snobby + (compliment)slutty = community hype.

    See also: New Haarlem, LIDGE, DHI.
    I'll sign this. In other words, the scent per se is nothing special at all.

  27. #87

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Nothing at all.

    AVONtus sucks, and I am a big Creed fan.
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 3rd October 2012 at 03:19 PM.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

  28. #88

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Its good but expensive.

  29. #89

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Hype? I tried it, and after 45 minutes or so of WOW!, it fell flat and left me wondering why I had spent $300. I eventually gave it away to a friend, on whom it's gorgeous.

    It's not like I dislike Creed's offerings on principle--I'm going to get the lovely Royal Oud (despite its relative lack of "oudiness"), but Aventus just didn't work.

  30. #90

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Because, "C.R.E.E.D" and "Niche"

  31. #91
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,845
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    WOW! An Aventus thread...I haven't seen one of these in-oh...an hour!!!!!! ARGGGG!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  32. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lavras
    Posts
    226

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by Freschi View Post
    I have a feeling it gets all the attention in the world just because it's expensive so people automatically think it's exceptional?
    Prices do that. I find it a good perfume though.

  33. #93

    Default Re: Yet another... Is my Creed Green Irish Tweed FAKE??

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Bite the bullet and buy the real thing from N-M, Creed boutique, etc., and if you can't get to a bricks and mortar store, buy online from them. That way you will know that it is real, you will not be supporting the gray market and you will have recourse if something goes wrong. Luxury costs money and if you cannot afford to pay retail, then buy something else that is within your budget. It is a wonderful scent---great taste on your part!
    I would usually agree with buying from an authorized retailer but I'm not as well off as I was 2 years ago. I can't really afford $300 bottles of cologne anymore but GIT is by far my favorite.

    The reviews I read seemed to confirm that FragranceNet sells legit Creed products so I gave them a shot especially when they were offering GIT @ $120 shipped (with 25% discount).

    When I received my initial order, they sent me a bottle of Silver Mountain Water which was inside a Green Irish Tweed box. Hmm?? Anyways, they finally shipped me the right bottle but in the meantime, I contacted Creed to check to see if FragranceNet was a authorized distributor. They told me no and said there is only one authorized distributor in New York which I'm assuming is where other companies source their Creed products from.

    I intially questioned the authenticity of FragranceNet's Green Irish Tweed because of their ridiculously cheap prices but after looking on Creed's website, I realized there was a significant mark-up on the smaller bottles compared to the larger bottles. $315 for a 4oz spray bottle and $420 for an 8oz flacon bottle.

    I would tend to agree with everyone that says the GIT from FragranceNet is 100% legit. Smells the same as the bottle I bought from Nieman Marcus a couple of years ago.

  34. #94

    Default Re: Yet another... Is my Creed Green Irish Tweed FAKE??

    I got my GIT today from fragrancenet and it looks exactly like this. I'm glad you're all saying it's real. I thought a little note was in all Creed bottles.

  35. #95

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The reason it gets so much love is because it has all the mass appeal of the lowest common denominator mass market scents, but still lets people feel superior and snobbish because they spent $100-200 on a bottle of scent that "nobody else is wearing."

    Snobby + (compliment)slutty = community hype.
    I agree, somewhat. But I think there are two agendas on basenotes. 1) Those that do it for the ladies. 2) Those that do it for their nose. And not always do the twain both meet.

    The three biggest compliment getters do happen to be expensive - Aventus, Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial. So it's not hype, they're compliment monsters, but expensive compliment monsters. Rochas Man is the one that needs to be getting the attention because of it's a dirt cheap compliment getter at a steal for under $30. Then perhaps La Nuit Homme, and Issey Miyake's Pour Homme at $50 and up.

    But those two sell well, which brings us back to Rochas Man.

    Less Known/Worn + Ladies Likey (Compliments) = Group 1 Agenda.

    Which is what any single male of a certain age group is looking for here...
    Last edited by Manteuse; 16th December 2012 at 10:57 AM.
    Forever I seek the holy grail of fragrance - Creed's Construction with Modern Longevity.

  36. #96

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    I tried it several times. I respect it as a decent fragrance, but on my skin it is nothing special and I felt not bottle-worthy, at least not at his point in time. Go for it if is is good for you. Hype - any hype - tends to make me prejudiced against a product, but I tried to judge Aventus without bias.

  37. #97
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,845
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by Manteuse View Post
    I agree, somewhat. But I think there are two agendas on basenotes. 1) Those that do it for the ladies. 2) Those that do it for their nose. And not always do the twain both meet.

    The three biggest compliment getters do happen to be expensive - Aventus, Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial. So it's not hype, they're compliment monsters, but expensive compliment monsters. Rochas Man is the one that needs to be getting the attention because of it's a dirt cheap compliment getter at a steal for under $30. Then perhaps La Nuit Homme, and Issey Miyake's Pour Homme at $50 and up.

    But those two sell well, which brings us back to Rochas Man.

    Less Known/Worn + Ladies Likey (Compliments) = Group 1 Agenda.

    Which is what any single male of a certain age group is looking for here...
    Obviously the entire field of olfactory stimulation is subjective...First I don't know where you get the "3 biggest compliment getters... GIT, Aventus, and MI." That doesn't hold in the general crowd here, only with the biggest Creed lovers. I have found among non fragrance people, GIT and Cool Water are so close as to be confused. Compliments I have gotten wearing GIT are "OH! I LOVE Cool Water!" (And Yes I know my GIT is genuine, and fresh) Aventus is a smokey gourmand that isn't sickly sweet. It seems by observation, women compliment gourmands ie Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (which used to be obsessed over nearly as much as Aventus.) Lastly, if the wearer is hyped over the frag he is wearing, it will project psychologically to others, even to the point of casually trying to draw out a compliment. I enjoy Creed frags, but NO MORE than other houses I have, and I am sick to death of the Creed worship where people interject Creed into every thread. ( I know...this started as a Creed thread...) When I wear Creed, I get no more or no less compliments than other frags. I have been watching with some incredulity as a group of Creed lovers bid a 2.5 tester bottle of Windsor up over $280 on EBAY in a frantic effort to be part of the Creed Crowd. That particular frag is probable the weakest link in the Creed chain, with zero longevity or projection. We all have asked with chagrin where the quality control went, as we buy new bottles at top price with labels peeling, pumps on atomizers squeeking and ejecting anemic amounts of frag. There are whole threads devoted to panic stricken buyers worrying about grammatical errors on the boxes, and the thickness of the cardstock. and what LOT # is "Cool"
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 16th December 2012 at 02:04 PM.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  38. #98
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,958

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by Freschi View Post
    ..........What do you think?
    Like most Creeds, it has the bone structure of a sea cucumber.

  39. #99

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think it's a good fragrance because to me it smells great. It's as simple as that for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JyyskNotes View Post
    Easy answer: great longevity, great projection and great overall smell. Also very versatile.
    I concur with both!

    Aventus is the mass market Creed. While in Neiman Marcus a man came over to the Creed counter with a bottle of Bleu de Chanel and asked "Of all of these which one is the most similar to this." and lo and behold the rep says Aventus. I just shook my head because I see absolutely no resemblance in the two. Ironically the female with him said that she did not like Aventus because it smelled too "smokey like burnt wood".

    Batch variations in 5...4...3...2.......

  40. #100

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by JyyskNotes View Post
    Easy answer: great longevity, great projection and great overall smell. Also very versatile.
    Well said.

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm convinced Creed has included in Aventus some new synthetic. I have a tough time smelling it after 20-30 minutes...
    I also get the feeling they've either hit upon a new synth or came up with a rather novel combination of existing synths that account for its longevity of legendary status. These molecules are probably quite large, which would account for both the longevity and anosmic trouble some have. Me? I've got no trouble with big molecules. I received a split of this a week ago last Friday (t/u mr. heperd!) and applied 3 good sprays on my favorite 'wake up & knock around' heavy terry cloth bathrobe the next morning. I'm still getting clear wafts of it 8 days later. The only other frag I've ever come across with such staying power is Joop! Homme. I appreciate Joop's drydown and use it on bath and bed linens but haven't considered it for personal wear in years. Aventus, on the other hand, seems as versatile as they come.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

  41. #101

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Big compliment getter. It's a good 'un

  42. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Yet another... Is my Creed Green Irish Tweed FAKE??

    Any creed that is not bought from the creed boutique or neiman marcus is a fake. Not only that but they contain deadly cancerous acid that is not friendly to the skin.

    Sincerely,

    Your pals at the creed boutique

    - - - Updated - - -

    Any creed that is not bought from the creed boutique or neiman marcus is a fake. Not only that but they contain deadly cancerous acid that is not friendly to the skin.

    Sincerely,

    Your pals at the creed boutique

  43. #103

    Default Re: Yet another... Is my Creed Green Irish Tweed FAKE??

    Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Any creed that is not bought from the creed boutique or neiman marcus is a fake. Not only that but they contain deadly cancerous acid that is not friendly to the skin.

    Sincerely,

    Your pals at the creed boutique
    Well, there is no Creed Boutique here in Oz, yet you can buy genuine Creed here.

    I hate BS claims from boutiques trying to protect there own market. The fact is, you can buy genuine Greed from other places other than the Creed boutique.

  44. #104

    Default Re: Yet another... Is my Creed Green Irish Tweed FAKE??

    It's from the Grey Market, the lot numbers on those bottles are engraved on the back of the bottle and NOT the rim! Also the boxes are different...with that said you have the real deal.

  45. #105

    Default Re: Yet another... Is my Creed Green Irish Tweed FAKE??

    Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    Well, there is no Creed Boutique here in Oz, yet you can buy genuine Creed here.

    I hate BS claims from boutiques trying to protect there own market. The fact is, you can buy genuine Greed from other places other than the Creed boutique.

    Though I am clueless about most things, I have a teensy suspicion the post to which you respond was sarcastic.

    But yeah, all my Creeds have come from the gray market or even (shudder) Ebay. And I've never had a fake yet.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  46. #106

    Default Re: Yet another... Is my Creed Green Irish Tweed FAKE??

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Bite the bullet and buy the real thing from N-M, Creed boutique, etc., and if you can't get to a bricks and mortar store, buy online from them. That way you will know that it is real, you will not be supporting the gray market and you will have recourse if something goes wrong. Luxury costs money and if you cannot afford to pay retail, then buy something else that is within your budget. It is a wonderful scent---great taste on your part!

    You really bought into that advertising crap, It's this attitude that lets Creed get away with overcharging, as there are always people like you who think they are part of some exclusive club because they are paying over the odds.

  47. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Yet another... Is my Creed Green Irish Tweed FAKE??

    Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    Well, there is no Creed Boutique here in Oz, yet you can buy genuine Creed here.

    I hate BS claims from boutiques trying to protect there own market. The fact is, you can buy genuine Greed from other places other than the Creed boutique.
    totally not true. the only real bottles (outside of neiman marcus) are at the creed boutique. the people at the creed boutique said so themselves.

  48. #108

    Default Re: Yet another... Is my Creed Green Irish Tweed FAKE??

    Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    totally not true. the only real bottles (outside of neiman marcus) are at the creed boutique. the people at the creed boutique said so themselves.
    I don't know what is sadder......the fact that they said that....or that you bought it.

  49. #109

    Default Re: Yet another... Is my Creed Green Irish Tweed FAKE??

    I don't see anything to indicate it's a fake. By the way, very nice job with the pictures.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    I don't know what is sadder......the fact that they said that....or that you bought it.
    Well said.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

  50. #110
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    I am loving this stuff!

    I am new to basenotes and am not going to pretend im clued up on this subject.

    Heres what I get, a very expensive quality smelling cologne/bath/shower scrub scent.

    I dont think ive ever smelt this good, i was so sceptical after reading the bad and meh reviews online that I was nearly discouraged completley from hunting this down and trying it.

    I am so glad i did.

    This smells absolute quality, make no mistake about it! Its fresh, its sporty, its classy, like the most expensive sparkling grapefruit cocktail that exists on the planet.

    It makes a statement: It says, this costs alot of cash, i am clean, i am classy, i have impeccable taste.

    Theres something in a different league to other scents I own. (yes, and im aware the shocking price is one of those things)

    I cant see my 30ml lasting that long, I may invest in the 75ml and possibly deodrant for special occasions

    Love it!

  51. #111

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    I simply still don't understand why these "niche" fragrances get so much attention when there are so many great scents from the past waiting to be re-discovered.


    Quote Originally Posted by Freschi View Post
    I had the chance to finally sample Aventus. From what I've been reading on BN, I expected one exceptional fragrance.

    I like it but certainly not exceptional. For example, I find more complexity and excitement in Azzaro PH.

    I have a feeling it gets all the attention in the world just because it's expensive so people automatically think it's exceptional?

    What do you think?

  52. #112

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrč Moreau View Post
    I simply still don't understand why these "niche" fragrances get so much attention when there are so many great scents from the past waiting to be re-discovered.
    Depends on which fragrances from the past your talking about. Getting into vintage collecting can be more time consuming and expensive that what some of the highest priced niche bottles sell for. Reformulation hasn't been kind to some of the older fragrances.
    Last edited by silentrich; 21st January 2013 at 09:44 PM.

  53. #113

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It's pretty unique. It leaves a great scent trail.

    The question is: is that desirable?

  54. #114
    Basenotes Member Carvalho Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pompadour Cosmetique Company, Baker Street
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Thing is, I like what I like...and I like Aventus.

    Infact, I think Aventus smells great, and I especially love the hint of blackcurrant that snakes in and out throughout it's lifespan.

    If you don't like Aventus, that's cool as well.

    Vive le difference etc
    ***My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world : those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.***

  55. #115
    Basenotes Junkie benzganesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The reason it gets so much love is because it has all the mass appeal of the lowest common denominator mass market scents, but still lets people feel superior and snobbish because they spent $100-200 on a bottle of scent that "nobody else is wearing."

    Snobby + (compliment)slutty = community hype.

    See also: New Haarlem, LIDGE, DHI.
    Totally agree, but can't say the same for DHI - as its not very pricey and easily within reach.

  56. #116

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    lots of people like it!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

  57. #117
    Dependent mesaboogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Los Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    2,914

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    The guys at Ilum Deam know what make Aventus so exceptional apparently.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

    Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

  58. #118

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by nikthegreek View Post
    its an ok fragrance but not worth the money.
    i could easy spent 180 euro instead on a hermesesence fragrance.now thats quality!
    Really? Those Hermessence fragrances last for about 15 minutes and aren't cheap either. Dreadful value for money.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Aventus is a beautiful scent, but oh so expensive unfortunately.
    Last edited by Riverwide; 23rd January 2013 at 12:57 AM.

  59. #119
    Basenotes Junkie benzganesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    Really? Those Hermessence fragrances last for about 15 minutes and aren't cheap either. Dreadful value for money.



    - - - Updated - - -

    Aventus is a beautiful scent, but oh so expensive unfortunately.
    Vetiver Tonka and Poivre Samarkand lasts close to 12-14 hours on an average day, and another day or so on fabric, masterfully blended, unlike anything else in the market, clearly you need to give it another "proper" go.

    Theres a $9.90 cologne that came out in 2001 entitled "Dashing : Pineapple for Men", try it what a striking resemblance, after success of aventus, i was told dashing is reissuing it again as Royal Dashing for Men.

  60. #120

    Default Re: What makes Creed Aventus so exceptional

    Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    Vetiver Tonka and Poivre Samarkand lasts close to 12-14 hours on an average day, and another day or so on fabric, masterfully blended, unlike anything else in the market, clearly you need to give it another "proper" go.
    I've had a soft spot for Poivre Samarcande for years actually. I even owned a bottle for a while. I loved it, but never felt it was strong enough for me. Maybe 2-3 hours max and with minimal sillage. I must sample it again. Great scent, but not worth the exorbitant price for something so light.

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for some help with a few thoughts/queries
    By maninja in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 18th August 2011, 05:51 AM
  2. TDH v OV with Aventus discussions
    By Scentologist in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 23rd November 2010, 03:02 AM
  3. Balmain queries.
    By N_Tesla in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 9th April 2010, 12:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000