Code of Conduct

Default Have no idea what to make of Black Orchid

I was in Bloomingdale's earlier trying out some of the new arrivals when a bottle in the Tom Ford section caught my eye as one that I hadn't seen or tried before. I only knew of Black Orchid by name, knew nothing about it beyond that so I was incredibly surprised at what I smelled when I tried it on my skin.

On first whiff, I thought "wow, this is really unique, I like this" and on second whiff I thought "this smells awful, I hate it" and so went my thoughts on this back and forth between these two extremes for the last 30 mins or so it's been on my skin. I have gone as far as wanting to scrub this off because it's making me nauseous to wanting to buy a bottle asap as it's one of the most unique things I have ever smelled.

I was very surprised to find though this was originally marketed as a woman's cologne. To me there's nothing feminine (or masculine for that matter) about it, just a very inscrutable scent. Perhaps I'll update this thread in a few hours with a final verdict, as right now it's a tossup

Default Re: Have no idea what to make of Black Orchid

Unique, tenacious and amazing. A favorite. I think this is Tom Ford's best fragrance of them all! Not for everyone but certainly not for a girly woman or for a wimpy man. Takes confidence to wear this one.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

My wife used to enjoy wearing this one. She got tired of it and gave it to one of my daughters who now enjoys it.

Basenotes Member

I tried this out a few hours ago. I really enjoyed it. Probably my 3rd favorite to TV and Tuscan leather

I think I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy this one quite a bit. Having had it on my skin for an hour and a half now, I really do like it once it settles down a bit. The topnotes on this one are incredibly potent and I can imagine a Chernobyl-type situation if some poor sap were to overspray it.

I'm not sure though if this is something I would wear, certainly not often enough to warrant the purchase of a full bottle. Like Akahina said, this one takes a lot of confidence to wear although I really can't picture this one on a woman. A very unique scent indeed, makes me want to track down other TF offerings for comparison

Dependent

I find it moderately feminine.

Some say that Michael Jackson used to dump a whole bottle of this into his laundry, while it was in the washing machine.

Heh, I get where you're coming from. When I first got it I thought oh wow, this is wonderful. Quite potent, I could almost eat myself, it's a really dense scent.

A while later I wore it again and it gave me a headache and I thought to myself what was I thinking. It got very cloying.

Then I liked it again next time I wore it...weird!

I think this is one of the few scents I have that is very temperature specific. There's no way I could wear this in anything other than pretty cool weather. Heat sets this off into nightmare mode.

Love it.

Never been a fan. A bit too feminine for my liking.

One of the best Gourmands on the market at the moment, really a Power house, besides, is reasonably priced, longevity is Fantastic!

Banned

Black Orchid is a fine and provocative fragrance. I enjoy it greatly.

Basenotes Institution

Love it, but it needs to be applied lightly or IMO it's obnoxious (for the wearer and everyone surrounding him/her).

In Miami, I happen to smell this on more guys than girls (and not just gay guys).

If you like it, try to get ahold of the body lotion or that hard-to-find Shower Finishing Oil. You sort of pour it on in the shower and then rinse it off and the scent of Black Orchid 'sticks' to your body. Amazing and you don't need to wear the EdT after you use it.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Too femme for me.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

I couldnt bring myself to wear this one. Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Love it, but it needs to be applied lightly or IMO it's obnoxious (for the wearer and everyone surrounding him/her).

In Miami, I happen to smell this on more guys than girls (and not just gay guys).

If you like it, try to get ahold of the body lotion or that hard-to-find Shower Finishing Oil. You sort of pour it on in the shower and then rinse it off and the scent of Black Orchid 'sticks' to your body. Amazing and you don't need to wear the EdT after you use it.
    Honestly this seems like the far better approach as the EdT is far too potent for the first hour or so to be wearable for me long-term (and I'm not only thinking in terms of being around others, it does have a bit of a nauseating effect on me and that was only with one spray on the arm, not even a full wearing). I think a milder lotion would be my application method of choice with this one as it allows a full wearing without that initially potent peak

What is surprising is the inspiration behind Black Orchid: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...me-ingredients
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    Honestly this seems like the far better approach as the EdT is far too potent for the first hour or so to be wearable for me long-term (and I'm not only thinking in terms of being around others, it does have a bit of a nauseating effect on me and that was only with one spray on the arm, not even a full wearing). I think a milder lotion would be my application method of choice with this one as it allows a full wearing without that initially potent peak
    I know what you mean. I have described it as 'rotting fruit' or just a fruit that is almost to the point where it's getting ready to spoil, mixed with that floral/truffle combo can be sort of jarring. Which I think was Tom Ford's intent when he created it. I still remember when this came out, it caused quite a stir on Basenotes, got everyone talking about it for quite a while.

I have smelled the parfum version of this also. Dangerously strong and ridiculously priced.

For what it's worth, I think Costume National Homme and Santal 33 by Le Labo reminds me a lot of Black Orchid, although it seems that I am in the minority on this.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sound Scents

Not a fan of this one at all.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    What is surprising is the inspiration behind Black Orchid: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...me-ingredients
    sometimes I just don't get perfumers I guess...

It's a nice, powerful and long lasting take on black current drink imo. I like it quite a bit.

In my top3. Gets me compliments as no other fragrance. I wore it in my college graduation

I know exactly what to make of it: Calvin Klein Euphoria with a bigger budget. (And a "truffle" note.)