Code of Conduct

Default Winter scents for a 20 year old

Hey all,

Looking into grabbing some winter scents to be prepared for the cold months here in Australia!
    Wondering if you could recommend some scents for different occasions for a 20 year old:
    eg. Work, Daytime, Date

Default Re: Winter scents for a 20 year old

I highly recommend to look and research more about this fragrances:

Joop Jump!
    Rochas Man
    Gucci PH II
    Burberry London
    Versace Dreamer
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Amouage - Memoir Man

Thanks so much for your suggestions, and I plan to check them out as soon as possible.

If there are any niches you would also suggest then money is not an issue
    Last edited by Tjoobie; 3rd May 2012 at 12:02 PM.

Dior Homme Intense
    Rochas Man
    Tom Fords Tobacco Vanille.

Chanel Egoiste - for evenings.

Spicebomb
    Noble Vetiver
    Noble Cedre

for swap/sale:

A*Men

Blog Entries

L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme or Extreme by Guerlain
    Angel Men / A*Men by Thierry Mugler
    Rochas Man by Rochas
    Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Winter....we gotta tackle some potent ones (no Rochas Man or things of the such).

Dior Homme or Dior Homme Intense - these work for all occasions (office work, casual, formal events, dates, etc.)(sexy, very contemporary somewhat sweet fragrances with vanilla, cacao, and somewhat powderry/fluffy vibe, that's that lipstick/makeup note people talk about the iris, these two are the ones I'd recommend the most. Masterpieces)
    Thierry Mugler A*Men - Casual fragrance but you can do whatever with it, the role play of fragrances is very overrated, hell you could even wear this to work, ignore the fragrance Nazi's strict rules of wearing fragrances (very sweet, very powerful, and will last for a while, has all the sweet ingredients you can think of: chocolate, caramel, honey, etc.)
    Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male - could use it for dates, or whatever I mean it smells like vanilla (it's a vanilla bomb with some lavender and mint vibes, also a powerhouse; though if you are a fan of vanilla I still say go with the Diors)
    Dior Fahrenheit - Casual, All Around workhorse (very unique, you will definitely stand out, it's a masterpiece as well. People seem to love the smell of this, it's both masculine, heavy, and fresh at the same time.
    Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de l'Homme - very nice fragrance, you will stand out for sure. Smells sweet, gives a cinnamon like vibe to the amateur nose or something close to that.

would have recommended Tobacco Vanille too but that breaks the bank, the above mentioned ones could be gotten at deals (hell I even got the Dior Homme Intense for $65 so that was a steal).
    Another one I forgot to mention is Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (sweet, tonka bean like smell, with incense tones, very mystical and sexy smelling, unisex too, far from your typical masculine scent).
    But yeah, all the ones mentioned you can get for a reasonable price and will do the job for you (go with the Diors though if you get the chance )

Dependent

I would say Dior Homme Intense, Tobacco Vanille, L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

New Haarlem
    Tobacco Vanille
    Pure Havane
    Musc Ravaguer

Quote Originally Posted by Tjoobie View Post
    Thanks so much for your suggestions, and I plan to check them out as soon as possible.

If there are any niches you would also suggest then money is not an issue
    Oddly enough, there are no "niches" that I know of that specialize in fragrances for younger people, though some retailers (Hollister, Aberchrombie & Fitch) produce scents aimed directly at your demographic. Most niche fragrances are marketed toward somewhat older people with some experience and sophistication with fragrances.

Unfortunately, ask Basenotes for general recommendations and you will end up with more options than a large department store. My suggestion would be to go to a retailer that allows you to freely test fragrances (Sephora is one if you have them there) and find a few things that you really like. Then go to the Basenotes Forum and say "I like X and am looking for something similar for winter evening wear"). Also check the BN reviews which are a terrific source of opinion and information.

Rochas Men and YSL - La Nuit Le Perfume.

Burberry London

Quote Originally Posted by Tjoobie View Post
    Hey all,

Looking into grabbing some winter scents to be prepared for the cold months here in Australia!
    Wondering if you could recommend some scents for different occasions for a 20 year old:
    eg. Work, Daytime, Date
    Hi! you already have a tone of recommendations, and I agree, that might be confusing. However, from my personal point of view, will tell you to try:
    Chanel Bleu for work, since you can use it without taking the risk of being on a "heavy hand" here; if you don't like it at all or is already other felow signature, so speaking, try Sisley Ikar which has same concept: you can't be wrong or "offensive" (always wondering how a perfume would be offensive: that's me, of course);
    If you are really considering a "daytime" (like at weekends) perfume in adittion to your work scent for winter, you should think what your hobbies are, or what do you like to do: do you need a comfort scent or a wild, long projection one? A sweet scent already mentioned would be VCleef Midnight in Paris; a strong, niche one B.9 New Haarlem, and a warm, more refined one is Malle MR avageur also strong, more refined, don't know about weekends, may be add it later for dating; now, if you want to relax, heavy ones might not fill the need, you might like YSL Rive Gauche p.homme. B. London is a really nice choice since age and activities are a concern for you.
    Night or "date" one: I would go for B*Man, but most guys feel really "confident" with Dior Homme Intense (please if you do, share the secret with me, I just don't get it, and love it in my own skin... again, that's me).
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense are excellent choices. Vintage if possible although it may be a little bit difficult to find.
    At first I thought the lipstick vibe would be too off-putting for me as a 21 yr old but it works surprisingly well against the belief and I think it works best on younger people as it comes off more modern and metrosexual.

New Haarlem is another good choice. I simply love the drydown of this and I even do 1 spray to chest during summer no problem. One of my all time favourite.

Le Male - Jean Paul Gaultier
    Antaeus - Chanel
    Azarro Pour Homme - Azarro
    Drakker Noir - Guy Laroche
    Dior Homme - Dior
    M7 - YSL
    Dior Homme Sport - Dior

Banned

Work
    Coromandel by Chanel - One is initially treated to wafts of peppery spiciness commingling with a somewhat camphoraceous, yet dirty, patchouli. This intriguing and inviting melange floats on an ephemeral cloud of salty fruitiness and spices of cloves and ginger. Aromatic woods, with hints of lemon verbena and minty laurel, serve as a backdrop to this stirring opening. Transitioning to the middle, the woods fade and wisps of florals, with violet-like iris, clover-like rose and sweetly seductive jasmine, interface with the musty earthiness of patchouli, which has taken on a clay-like facet. A nascent, vanillic amber sprinkles the melange, giving the florals a creamy texture, and coaxes a cocoa aspect of patchouli to rise up. Segueing to the robust base, balsamic woods, hay-like beeswax, herbaceous cinnamon, all intermingle and interplay with the vanillic and almond sweetness of benzoin. The heavy, resinous, sweetish amber has come into full bloom. A restrained smoky frankincense reels about. And, a chocolate-like tone presents from the interweaving of coumarin and patchouli. A delightsome drydown ensues. This high-quality composition is definitely unisex, if not leaning masculine, and has average projection and longevity. Its elegance will shine in the fall and winter.

Daytime
    Lonestar Memories by Tauer - Upon application, one is barraged with a dry and raw leather as well as smoke wafting from a campfire. Outlying creosote imparts its smoked meat dimension. Woody and earthy, carrot seed accompanied by minty clary sage maneuver to the fore and impart their sweetness. This smoldering opening persists for a spell before rambling to the awaiting middle. Here, in the heart, dry cedarwood oozes its petrol dimension while a tinge of disinfectant from the birchtar of the volcanic opening presents. A pine-like, terpenic cistus awakens and infuses the mishmash with its warm, leathery scent tinged with lively pepper and heavy tar. A ravishing jasmine tempers the tumultuous melange with its sweet, floral highlight, and steers the esoteric blend to the waiting base. Captivating sandlewood with its singular, bright and fresh woodiness, mysterious myrrh with its burning rubber, soft tonka bean with its vanillic, pipe tobacco, and earthy vetiver with its dank grass and dirt, all commingle and yield an alluring, if not beguiling, mixture, which is carried to the mollified drydown. This evocative, one-of-a-kind composition has good projection and very good longevity.

Date
    Geir by Geir Ness - Initially, one is treated to an exhilarating citrus-floral accord. Hesperidic notes impart their citrus highlights of lemon, bergamot, tangerine and orange. A perfumy hedione bestows its fresh jasmine and slight powdery aspects. And, magical aldehydes summon forth a burst of laundered-linen freshness and floral effervescence. A faint, sweet smell of salt water taffy flitters about. Transitioning to the waiting heart, the opening blend is enmeshed with methyl salicylate, furnishing its attendant menthol and wintergreen facets, as well as amyl salicylate, supplying its sweetly floral and herbaceously green aura, thereby creating a cool, conifer illusion. A whisper of lively pepper flutters here and there, while a slight, burnt sugar presents. An errant, feeble smell of fireworks or something like burnt gunpowder also surfaces. Segueing to the awaiting base, a smooth, woody accord as well as a somewhat bitter, mossy accord usurp and enhance the outdoorsy mixture, and, coupled with a wave of sweetish vanilla, lead to an alluring drydown. Albeit an ordinary composition, it is the epitome of mountain freshness, and has good projection and very good longevity.

Coromandel and Geir can easily be rotated for use during their respective, prescribed times.

&

Last edited by dollars&scents; 3rd May 2012 at 07:52 PM.

Some great suggestions above, but just make sure you try some of these before purchasing. Things that have been mentioned like Antaeus, Dior Homme and Fahrenheit may not be particularly wearable for a 20 year old on a consistent basis. Given how cheaply they can be acquired in the states (not sure about Australia) I would say Versace Dreamer, Rochas Man and Burberry London are all must buys.

Pure Malt if you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    Some great suggestions above, but just make sure you try some of these before purchasing. Things that have been mentioned like Antaeus, Dior Homme and Fahrenheit may not be particularly wearable for a 20 year old on a consistent basis. Given how cheaply they can be acquired in the states (not sure about Australia) I would say Versace Dreamer, Rochas Man and Burberry London are all must buys.
    only if the OP samples and likes though, many people myself including cannot tolerate The Dreamer's opening for example despite it being so hyped. Things like Dior Homme and Fahrehheit (not including Antaeus though) are perfect for the OPs age range and fit within the winter category he mentioned. Rochas Man and London are pretty bad recommendations for winter though given their spotty projection and longevity; might as well tell them to OP to go buy Dolce & Gabbana the One cause it's a must buy for winter

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Burberry London

Burberry London...definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    It all depends on your style and level of self condifdence if you can pull of Antaeus as a 20yr old imo :P

Banned

Bvlgari Soir, Voyage D'Hermes, Individuel.

CK One Shock (don't pay attention to the butt-ugly bottle)

So based on many of your suggestions I went testing yesterday and ended up with a massive haul:

Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Homme
    YSL L'Homme
    YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
    A*Men
    Creed Aventus
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I may just sit on these ones I've purchased until summer rolls around and I need to find some more scents, but I simply had to have the ones above!

Thank you all for your suggestions thus far, if there is anything I missed let me know

Hope you enjoy these fragrances man. Cheers!

Fahrenheit 32

Most people say it is a summer fragrance, which it is. However, I think it has great notes for a winter fragrance, especially the vanilla.
    I want to smell good.