Code of Conduct

Default Hermes Vétiver Tonka... Anything That Smells This Sweet With Vétiver?

Man, I can't get enough of Vétiver Tonka. I'm wondering if there is anything out there that is like it? All I know is that I keep on getting whiffs of this stuff off my body and I want to make love with myself. lol.

Any other vetiver scents like this? Or other scents without vetiver that smell similar?

Default Re: Hermes Vétiver Tonka... Anything That Smells This Sweet With Vétiver?

Love this stuff also and really hard to find another scent IMO that comes real close. The only other vetiver that I have experienced that is sweeter than most vetivers out there is Carlo Corinto Vetyver, but still not the same.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hermes Vétiver Tonka... Anything That Smells This Sweet With Vétiver?

Get a sample of Neil Morris Midnight Forest for $5. See if you think there is some kind of odd similarity. I think Neil may have done some kind of cooling thing to get a similar effect, but with more of a green, coniferous vibe, instead of vetiver.

There is nothing quite like Vetiver Tonka, but Midnight Forest is the closest I've ever encountered.

Give a chance to Fat ELectrician

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

±\-\|s
    • • •
    --------

Bal d'Afrique by Byredo is very close to Vetiver Tonka but without vetiver.

You are going to love Chanel Sycamore.

I would also give ELDO's Fat Electrician a try. It is the only other sweetish vetiver that I know of. However not sweet in a gourmand way (hazelnut) like Vetiver Tonka.
    But Definitely worth a try.

Another one for Fat Electrician , ts great stuff

Basenotes Junkie

I LOVE Fat Electrician, but it's not similar enough to Vetiver Tonka for me to just get "the one". Got a 15 ml of Vetiver Tonka so far - and it's just pure magic. Pondering getting Fat Electrician as well, and a bigger Vetiver tonka VETIVER CRAZE OMG!

Its not as good as Vetiver Tonka but Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental is very sweet and meets your criteria.

Vetiver Tonka is my personal favorite fragrance. Absolutely adore the stuff. I stumbled upon this fragrance that is remarkably close and it can be had for only fifty dollars...crazy! The fragrance is Collezione Privata Viaggio d`Africa Pal Zileri for men.
    I shot a vid on this subject as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHxzn4W9Id0

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    +1.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sound Scents

I didn't care much for Vetiver Tonka, but a vetiver scent that also leans on the sweet side (although not as sweet as Vetiver Tonka) is Coeur de Vetiver Sacré by L'Artisan. It actually is more Earl Grey tea and mild spice than vetiver, but it smells amazing, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Another good sweet-ish vetiver is Bois 1920's Vetiver Ambrato. Contrary to some reviews here, the vetiver is there but understated, with amber doing with VA what tonka does with VT.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    Vetiver Tonka is my personal favorite fragrance. Absolutely adore the stuff. I stumbled upon this fragrance that is remarkably close and it can be had for only fifty dollars...crazy! The fragrance is Collezione Privata Viaggio d`Africa Pal Zileri for men.
    I shot a vid on this subject as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHxzn4W9Id0
    That stuff seems impossible to find. Do I need to milk a camel in the Sahara desert to get it?

Agreed with Fat Electrician, Vetiver Oriental and Vetiver Ambrato.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    This one
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

If you like sweet and vetiver you may want to try the new Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum.

Anyone tryed CHOPARD Noble Vetiver?

Quote Originally Posted by NotesWithBass View Post
    That stuff seems impossible to find. Do I need to milk a camel in the Sahara desert to get it?
    Just google viaggio d'africa and go to shopping or go to Pal Zileri web site. I have links for all this under my video.
    http://www.palzileri.it/en/

Dependent

Man, I can't get enough of Vétiver Tonka. I'm wondering if there is anything out there that is like it? All I know is that I keep on getting whiffs of this stuff off my body and I want to make love with myself. lol.

Any other vetiver scents like this? Or other scents without vetiver that smell similar?
    Oh nooo. I hate you!! After reading this I realised Ive got to find some ways to try this hahaha. Probably going to love it
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

There recommendations for checking out fat electrician is a good one...great fragrance but it's no vetiver tonka, lol - if vetiver tonka style is what your looking for check out the viaggio - I guarantee you will be happy or bal d'afrique would be my secondchoice after that. It's always good to sample for yourself but with my personal vetiver journey, annick goutals vetiver and bois 1920 vetiver ambrato were huge let downs...not a fan at all...gack! lol - Annick goutals vetiver is actually vetiver and tonka and the mix together is just nasty, IMO - I remember ambrato being something I couldn't wash off fast enough, lol

Oh wait!!!!! I have very interesting one for you to check out. Vetiver Dance by Tauer. Unlike any other vetiver I have tried but still keeping itself grounded with the vetiver note. It moves with herbs and spices at the top with a touch of sweetness and as the hours go on you realize the sweetness is an ambrien accord like that in ambre narguile. Not as in your face and remaining soothing and comforting with soft vetiver dancing with the sweetness!

If I'm not mistaken (I've owned both) I'd put Tauers Vetiver Dance and Vetiver Tonka in the same vetiver category.

Tauers take on the Vetiver sure has powedery qualities. Like green straws hidden - or dancing if you will - in a white, milky cloud.

Definately order a sample from his website.
    Last edited by Noalick; 5th May 2012 at 04:10 PM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

I'll have to check some of these out but I def want to try out the viaggio d'africa. It doesn't seem like they sell it on the Pal Zileri website. I'm in the US and the only place that sells it is some place in Vegas. And when I check google's shopping link its either sold out in most stores or it is being sold in some really iffy (not sure if they are fraudulent) websites.

No joke, I applied Vetiver Tonka on myself at 7PM EST last night and I can still smell it VERY faintly on my body at 11AM EST. Like I'll get a random whiff of the scent every now and then. My mind might be playing tricks on me though. I want to bathe in this stuff. lol.

Now that I double checked it seems like Vetiver Dance has Tonka bean listed as one of the basenotes. I guess I wasn't wrong in my first post.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    You are going to love Chanel Sycamore.
    I've tried both, Vetiver Tonka and Sycamore. There is no comparison between the two. VT is sweet, Sycomore isn't.

For me personally as much as I wanted to like VT, I came to the conclusion that to my nose vetiver and vanilla (or sweetness in general) simply does not compute :-)

For me personally as much as I wanted to like VT, I came to the conclusion that to my nose vetiver and vanilla (or sweetness in general) simply does not compute :-)[/QUOTE]

I can see your point with this but that for me is where the magic in vetiver tonka is. A true testament to the genius that JCE is . He created something so beautiful and breathtaking with this blend. If it was just straight up mix of vetiver and tonka it would be a mess...like annick goutals vetiver, lol

For me personally as much as I wanted to like VT, I came to the conclusion that to my nose vetiver and vanilla (or sweetness in general) simply does not compute :-)[/QUOTE]

I can see your point with this but that for me is where the magic in vetiver tonka is. A true testament to the genius that JCE is . He created something so beautiful and breathtaking with this blend. If it was just straight up mix of vetiver and tonka it would be a mess...like annick goutals vetiver, lol

+1 - this one came to mind immediately for me

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Its not as good as Vetiver Tonka but Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental is very sweet and meets your criteria.

where the heck can you get this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    where the heck can you get this stuff?
    http://usa.hermes.com/perfumes/herme...___store=us_en

The entire Hermessence line is wonderful (and expensive)

Thx
    I can walk to the Hermes boutique from my house so I'll be checking it out soon.

I'll suggest one that hasn't been mentioned:

Cloon Keen Atelier Castana...also with vetiver and tonka...quality divine...worth a try this

Do try Vetyverio by Diptyque.

Its certainly not a replica of the Hermes but its also not a typical rooty/fresh vetiver-type scent either.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by wilz View Post
    I'll suggest one that hasn't been mentioned:

Cloon Keen Atelier Castana...also with vetiver and tonka...quality divine...worth a try this
    Does the castana accord make it sweeter?

for swap/sale:

Vetiver Tonka is a personal favourite, my one FB from the Hermessences line after getting a couple of the 4 x 15ml mixed sets to try.

I haven't tried all mentioned above but so far haven't come across anything close - the tonka seems to give it a slightly creamy feel that is so unexpected with vetiver. Vetiver Oriental is interesting because it also takes vetiver in a sweeter, oriental direction but by a very different route.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Does the castana accord make it sweeter?
    The tonka in Castana definitely make it creamy, creamier than a lot of the other vetivers, though I can't say it's creamier than Vetiver Tonka. The chestnut note is quite prominent on me too.

I keep getting something a tad spicy in the concoction. It's probably the cardamom or the burnt chestnut...lol

WOOT WOOT! Beauty Encounter just got some of that Pal Zileri Collection Privata Viaggio D'Africa for Men in stock. If any of you are interested check it out. Use coupon code DAD627 for free shipping. I hope you are right about this Mickers, I'm blind buying this because of you.

WOOT WOOT! Beauty Encounter just got some of that Pal Zileri Collection Privata Viaggio D'Africa for Men in stock. If any of you are interested check it out. Use coupon code DAD627 for free shipping. I hope you are right about this Mickers, I'm blind buying this because of you.
    Could not find it?

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Could not find it?
    Wow, that was quick it sold out! http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/p...2180528/217881

I was on the notifications list, got the email this morning and didn't have time to place the order, now it's sold out!

I wonder how many of those they had in stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    I was on the notifications list, got the email this morning and didn't have time to place the order, now it's sold out!

I wonder how many of those they had in stock!
    lol, maybe they only had one. I didn't check the webpage after I placed my order in.

I really love montale sweet Oriental dream can't stop smelling my hand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Awesome!!!!!!! You will love it! Let me know your reaction when you smell it for the first time :-)

For nice sweetish Vetiver scents I'd also recommend:

Diptyque - Vetyverio
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Coeur de Vetiver Sacré
    Serge Lutens - Vétiver Oriental
    Guerlain - Homme L'Eau Boisée
    Farmacia SS. Annunziata - Vetiver Incenso
    The Different Company - Sel de Vetiver
    Mona di Orio - Les Nombres d'Or Vétyver
    Lubin - Le Vetyver Bluff
    Montale - Red Vetiver

IMHO neither Fat Electrician, Sycomore nor Noble Vetiver are sweet vetiver-fragrances.

I don't find Sel de Vetiver to be sweet at all, certainly not like Vetiver Tonka. It is an excellent vetiver, though.

Lubin Bluff is a nice, light sweet scent. Oddly, I don't get a lot of vetiver from it.

No mention of Montale's Red Vetyver?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    No mention of Montale's Red Vetyver?
    It'd have been mentioned if it was remotely similar to VT?

for swap/sale:

Original vetiver smells sweet.

I went looking for Collezione Privata Viaggio d`Africa Pal Zileri for men based on this thread and I found several web dealers who had it listed at $50, but were 'out of stock'. There were a few who offered it at $70+, but can anyone lead me to a website where I can purchase a bottle at $50 ?

Fat electrician is sorta similar.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    Awesome!!!!!!! You will love it! Let me know your reaction when you smell it for the first time :-)
    This stuff is awesome, that's my fist impression. It does smell like VT to me and (I must be going crazy) Brin De Reglisse mixed in (perhaps the Lavender note from it... not the licorice note). After smelling Viaggio d`Africa I checked the notes and it does have an Iris and Jasmine note in it, I'm not sure how similar of a smell they are to Lavender but that's what I keep on picking up. Actually what's really funny is that I received samples from Hermes and Brin De Reglisse and Vetiver Tonka came packaged together. I just put VT on my right wrist, BDR on my right forearm area, and VdA on my left arm. I swear it smells to me like a mixture of VT and the lavender note from BDR. I can only describe it as DEVINE! Thanks so much for the suggestion this is exactly what I wanted. My search has ended for my new fav frag!

Oh and I have to say one other thing about Viaggio d`Africa, the spritzer on it is one of the best I've ever used. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by innamoramento View Post
    Bal d'Afrique by Byredo is very close to Vetiver Tonka but without vetiver.
    This...

This stuff is awesome, that's my fist impression. It does smell like VT to me and (I must be going crazy) Brin De Reglisse mixed in (perhaps the Lavender note from it... not the licorice note). After smelling Viaggio d`Africa I checked the notes and it does have an Iris and Jasmine note in it, I'm not sure how similar of a smell they are to Lavender but that's what I keep on picking up. Actually what's really funny is that I received samples from Hermes and Brin De Reglisse and Vetiver Tonka came packaged together. I just put VT on my right wrist, BDR on my right forearm area, and VdA on my left arm. I swear it smells to me like a mixture of VT and the lavender note from BDR. I can only describe it as DEVINE! Thanks so much for the suggestion this is exactly what I wanted. My search has ended for my new fav frag!

Oh and I have to say one other thing about Viaggio d`Africa, the spritzer on it is one of the best I've ever used. Amazing!
    Awesome! I knew that you would like it! I'll have to look for the Brin comparison myself next time :-)