Code of Conduct

Default How can i make coconut natural perfume?

Hey there! I am sotos and im new to the forum. I am an amateur perfumist always working with natural materials. As here in Greece we get into summer i just wanted to make a coconut perfume. So I tried first tincturing coconut meat ( dried ) in 80% Vodka. I did on the same vodka 3 times and i got into a good point but not too strong. Next added some coconut milk hoping to make it even better but it became only a bit. Now im asking here. Do you know any ways I could make the scent stronger naturally or another ways to extract the smell of Coconut?
    Also do you know how strong is Coconut absolute in smell?
    Thank ya!

Default Re: How can i make coconut natural perfume?

Hello, what fun to be had with this. The only oil I have that smells like coconut is Wild Massoia from Oshadhi, and that smells like green coconut to me. It is certainly pretty pungent. From what I can gather elsewhere, coconut is not a strong smell. I use Fractionated coconut as a base, precisely because it has no smell at all.

If you wanted to make your smell stronger using the method you are already using, then I may suggest you tincture it for longer and then let it evaporate a little to condense it. For flowers, the tincture medium would be recharged many more times.

Look up enfleurage and tincturing and see what you find. I would imagine dried coconut would tincture very well in oil as it is very fatty sort of flesh. Please keep us informed on how you get on. I may try some myself too.

Well Hello and thanks so much for your answer on my question! I have bottled my creation as I described it and It has a smell yes , a pretty freshy good one ( i added some chamomile flower water too only a little to give it a freshy note ). It is very nice BUT its not the coconut we all know and have been brainwashed to think how coconut smells like. Its like , when u bake a coconut cake? something like this but not really that '' hotty '' its just very milky , sweety and nasty! Its not beachy at all but its fresh and a little summery maybe a little reminder of Hawaii. I searched for coconut absolute but found little to no information. If you try it too mumsy let me know!!!!

I also have a fascination for coconut and have always believed that there was no such thing as coconut essential oil or absolute. I've relied on synthetics. However it appears that White Lotus Aromatics had a source for coconut absolute. It is mentioned in their recipes and they have an article on it in their "absolute monographs". Sadly they no longer seem to stock it. Here's the link. You'll need to scroll down a fair way to find it, but you'll probably enjoy reading the info on the other absolutes as well:

http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/n...e_monographs_1

Hey Trufflehunter. I know about this absolute i actually have seen this page but Im not sure what gets solvent extracted so how can we be sure It's not fake? Tincturing method works good but in order to get a very high smell u need more than 10 tincturings. and some evaporation.

You'll definitely want to get some massoia bark oil, and probably should try to get the absolute or C02 extraction as well (I think both of those exist, at least. I might be wrong but I know at least one or the other exists).

I'd blend that with some vanilla, for starters, and also maybe tiny hints of calamus for its milky/woodiness. Do note though that both massoia bark and calamus are not simply restricted, but outright forbidden by the IFRA, so you can't use them in a fragrance you intend to sell. But if it's just for personal use, it should be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    You'll definitely want to get some massoia bark oil, and probably should try to get the absolute or C02 extraction as well (I think both of those exist, at least. I might be wrong but I know at least one or the other exists).

I'd blend that with some vanilla, for starters, and also maybe tiny hints of calamus for its milky/woodiness. Do note though that both massoia bark and calamus are not simply restricted, but outright forbidden by the IFRA, so you can't use them in a fragrance you intend to sell. But if it's just for personal use, it should be alright.
    Thanks for your nice reply! Well I dont think I can buy Massoia Bark here in Greece neither can I buy from other countries I am not yet allowed to. But thanks I will have it in mind

Massoia bark is available from Hermitage Oils. They ship worldwide. Go easy on it, it will overpower anything you blend it with.

I had actually forgotten about Massoia oil until this thread, so nice to have it brought to attention. It is one of those oils that is interesting but so strange and strong that it would be quite interesting if everyone who happened to have it, had a go at an accord or two that worked and posted them here for the common learning of all.

Coconut or any derivatives are actually quite hard notes to accommodate nicely in a perfume without smelling like sun tan lotion, hair products or a piņa colada. It would be interesting to see what it went well with in various peoples opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    Massoia bark is available from Hermitage Oils. They ship worldwide. Go easy on it, it will overpower anything you blend it with.
    I know about Hermitage , i have checked em but last time they didnt have it in their site I think. But I may buy it from there! Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I had actually forgotten about Massoia oil until this thread, so nice to have it brought to attention. It is one of those oils that is interesting but so strange and strong that it would be quite interesting if everyone who happened to have it, had a go at an accord or two that worked and posted them here for the common learning of all.

Coconut or any derivatives are actually quite hard notes to accommodate nicely in a perfume without smelling like sun tan lotion, hair products or a piņa colada. It would be interesting to see what it went well with in various peoples opinions.
    Basically I believe that the artificial scent of coconut was built for just this purpose. Suntan oils and hair products. Its something like. Oh what cheapy , heavenly scent could we put on our product and not pay for essential oils? Oh yes! Beachy Coconut. Well thats how it goes. But there are perfumes that I think have a better '' edition '' of the artificial scent , like Virgin Island Water. My Noix De Coco Malaysan is arriving on Thursday so I will make a review for it. I have seen a 100% organic coconut perfume named Love Coconut , someone sent it to me , and She said it smells more on the thai cousine coconut odour. Well thats how my tincture smells like too. So What we understand from that is that natural coconut perfume can be made with tincturing the meat many many times and evaporating it a little to make it even more powerfull , and maybe also blend it with some massoia bark oil which is so interesting to me.

i have a co2 extrait of coconut very realistic and natural. it can be' a solution

I read in multiple places that Fig (or Fig leaves, idk) smells like a coconut note...Marc Jacobs for Men uses Fig to give a coconut impression (I actually never smelled MJ, I'm only repeating what I read).
    Try mixing some Fig essential oils with your creation too, it might get better.
    I hope this helps

FYI Fig Leaf absolute has been banned by IFRA from leave on skin products since at least 2002. If you don't care and can get some Fig, enjoy.

Wow, that's strange...because Marc Jacobs was released in 2002 too. Maybe they used some other thing to simulate a Fig Leaf note? Is pure Fig (not the leaf) banned too?

Firstly, never believe the marketing BS printed in advertisements or on the side of the bottle. Fragrances are often described as containing extracts which do not exist. If Marc Jacobs contains Fig Leaf Absolute, the latin name (Ficus carica) would be on the side of the bottle. As far as I am aware there are no other extracts of Fig used in perfumery. It is very rare to find a fruit extract used in Perfumery as they contain too much water.

It is quite probable that a Fig Leaf base was used.

Blog Entries

I'm no perfumer, so I won't be of any real help, but there's a natural perfume company called CJ Scents that builds all their perfumes with "fractionated coconut oil carrier". I'm not even sure what that means, but their scents that I have tried all have a rich coconut aroma to them. Their Boozywood scent is a mix of toasted almond heliotrope and that coconut carrier that makes for a really interesting floral gourmand.

I'm sure someone here could explain, if not CJ herself, who I know is active in internet discussions...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I'm no perfumer, so I won't be of any real help, but there's a natural perfume company called CJ Scents that builds all their perfumes with "fractionated coconut oil carrier". I'm not even sure what that means, but their scents that I have tried all have a rich coconut aroma to them. Their Boozywood scent is a mix of toasted almond heliotrope and that coconut carrier that makes for a really interesting floral gourmand.

I'm sure someone here could explain, if not CJ herself, who I know is active in internet discussions...
    Good quality Organic virgin coconut oil from a health food grocery has enough of a scent to enjoy, and the scent is buttery.

There might be skin or other applictions where using it as a carrier could work. If you were just experimenting and not trying to sell something on a large scale -- I do think it would influence that character of an oil based perfume, as a minor supportive note.

It is very slightly soluble in Etoh, but somewhat moreso with heating, one article suggesting solubility was in a linear relationship with heat. So you'd have to know how to heat it gradually and safely. Then you might be able to cool it; and try making an absolute by skimming off the oil and adding more, heating and cooling again, etc...?

I've never tried tincturing the meat, but it might be the case you'd want to microwave the meat before trying to tincture it, then gently heating the resulting mixture to a safe temperature, in small quantities, in a well ventilated room?

Just brainstorming.