Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Why I'm against Blind Buying

I think Blind Buying (buying a cologne without testing it first) is not a good habit, even if you are getting your blind buys at discounts.

First of all, I'm very picky about what I wear.
    Out of every 10 colognes, I try:
    3 of them, I won't like
    3 of them, I'll be nuetral on
    3 of them, I'll like (but not like enough to want to wear it a lot)
    and 1 of them, I'll love so much, I want to buy it.

So, even if you like them, they have to compete with your all-time favorites.

Most blind buys will end up in the trash or on ebay, unless you are really indiscriminate about what you add to your shelf.

Also blind buys can be expensive.

Maybe $20-50 every 2 weeks doesn't seem like a lot. But over time, it adds up to $1000 a year.

Quality over quantity. I'd rather by a $75-100 cologne that I'd love to wear, than a $20-40 cologne I blind bought because it was cheap.

In the end, I realized, I blind bought like 6 colognes in 2011. I realized that I could have used that money to buy 3 colognes I really like, rather than 6 (5 of which I didn't).

your thoughts?

Default Re: Why I'm against Blind Buying

I think many people on this forum are very indiscriminate about what they put on their shelves. I mean this in the best possible way, which is that they're interested enough in fragrances to have a massive shelf with hundreds of fragrances. In addition, many if not most people here have bought fragrances based on hype alone.

You very accurately outline why blind buying isn't a great idea.

I don't buy much blindly either. The few exceptions are highly Turin-sanchez rated stuff found at discounters, and famous vintage stuff on ebay. The budget is typically much smaller than the scenario you indicate, and usually it has worked well. Perhaps I won't wear some of them, but they're ok as a reference.

cacio

I am for blind buying, but under one condition: after I have carefully read reviews and posts on Basenotes. No matter how subjective these might have been, if comparisons between the blind-bought scents and already known scents has, most of the time, to avoid truly erroneous, useless or mislead purchases even while buying blind.

It is risky and sampling before you buy is the wise approach. But every so often if I cannot get a sample and I desire a frag enough to pull the trigger blind then I will. It is the thrill of the gamble that can be intoxicating as long as you stack the deck in your favor with reading reviews etc in blind buys.

I want to blind buy like a mad man, but I'm just learning. I've found my small collection that I find pleasant for multiple reasons but even now I regret a few of them just a day later. My lesson of the day was just because it smells good does not mean it fits into your life.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I think Blind Buying (buying a cologne without testing it first) is not a good habit, even if you are getting your blind buys at discounts.

First of all, I'm very picky about what I wear.
    Out of every 10 colognes, I try:
    3 of them, I won't like
    3 of them, I'll be nuetral on
    3 of them, I'll like (but not like enough to want to wear it a lot)
    and 1 of them, I'll love so much, I want to buy it.

So, even if you like them, they have to compete with your all-time favorites.

Most blind buys will end up in the trash or on ebay, unless you are really indiscriminate about what you add to your shelf.

Also blind buys can be expensive.

Maybe $20-50 every 2 weeks doesn't seem like a lot. But over time, it adds up to $1000 a year.

Quality over quantity. I'd rather by a $75-100 cologne that I'd love to wear, than a $20-40 cologne I blind bought because it was cheap.

In the end, I realized, I blind bought like 6 colognes in 2011. I realized that I could have used that money to buy 3 colognes I really like, rather than 6 (5 of which I didn't).

your thoughts?
    Hell, I'm lucky if I like 1 out of 100 frags I sample. I don't blind buy at all any more.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I am for blind buying, but under one condition: after I have carefully read reviews and posts on Basenotes. No matter how subjective these might have been, if comparisons between the blind-bought scents and already known scents has, most of the time, to avoid truly erroneous, useless or mislead purchases even while buying blind.
    You make a good point.

If you have tested fragrances enough to identify scents, you can easily extrapolate what a certain fragrance would smell like, based on the ingredients. With reviews, you can also factor in projection, drydown, longevity etc.

Good if you are smart about it.

Though, I find it best to just blind sample like Jack Hunter said. You can probably get a sample for $4 on ebay, if it is not for free in a store.

Because, honestly, in a majority of cases with blind buys, you won't even finish the sample! So why is a 100ml necessary?

I agree with noirdrakkar. That said, I still blind buy from time to time if there are overwhelming positive reviews and it can be found for cheap. I've been happy most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    It is risky and sampling before you buy is the wise approach. But every so often if I cannot get a sample and I desire a frag enough to pull the trigger blind then I will. It is the thrill of the gamble that can be intoxicating as long as you stack the deck in your favor with reading reviews etc in blind buys.
    I agree completely with this. I don't blind buy very often--for the reasons that the OP described--but every once in a while it's fun to take a chance on something that looks promising based on the reviews. In fact, just recently I was getting ready to blind buy MPG Secrete Datura until an online friend hooked me up with a sample.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Perry Ellis 360 Red, Creed Aventus (from a split though) and Pure Malt were blind buys.
    I consider those fragrances to be safe blind buys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    This.

If I had ruled out blind buys altogether, I would have missed many of my favorite scents.

A lot of guys on BN seem to make a fair number of snap judgements: either to buy, not to buy, or to reject something they have just bought. I have found that the only effective "test" is several, widely-spaced skin wears. Test strips can be worse than useless because they distort so many good fragrances beyond recognition. In many cases, careful reading of reviews followed by a "well-educated guess" buy can be a lot more effective. Finally, it takes some time to really understand the best fragrances.

As it is, I have never paid money for a scent that I wouldn't wear and have very often been delighted with a blind buy. That being said, the vast majority of things I have tested (without buying) have left me indifferent and reviews have steered me away from many others I realized would not be my taste. There is a awful lot of dreck out there but it is not so difficult, I think, to figure out what it is in advance of purchasing it.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 6th May 2012 at 05:44 PM.

No risk, no fun. Also I think it can be good in some cases to have a scent at home, that, perhaps, you would have dismissed after smelling it once in a shop, and getting to know it a bit better. Plus the fact that many scents can't easily be tried in shops. Not everybody can be bothered with buying samples.

I think that blind buying is unreasonable move. How can you know you'll like the fragrance you've never tried? And what would you do with the full bottle when it shows up you not only don't like it but HATE IT?

There are many perfume I've never tried and probably never will because of the poor availability of all high-end designer perfume and niche lines but gosh I would probably never do a blind buy.

Even if I read hundreds of reviews of the fragrance I was planning to buy blindfold I wouldn't take that risk. Other's might love it, but that doesn't mean you'll love it too. Thats a risky thing.

I think it's better to grab a sample and spend some more cash to find ou how the fragrance works for you. You won't have regrets that you spent your money for something you don't like.

There are only a handful of people's reccomendations that I will blind buy confidently from.

for swap/sale:

Sometimes there's a perfume that sounds really good based on the notes that I like, that I can't find anywhere to test or sample, and that's relatively cheap. Cuir de Lancome is a prime example. To get a sample from TPC or Posh Peasant would have cost almost as much as the perfume itself (I'm in England), so I went for it.

In all, I've been lucky so far. About 90 percent of my blind buys were successes. I still try to sample if at all possible, though.

I think the idea of "the thrill of the gamble" is a very good point. I think a related idea is that the hobby we partake in is a relatively safe realm for enjoying this gamble.

It's pretty obvious that blind-buying is, based on conventional wisdom, a dumb idea. No one needs to be told that one should try something before buying it. But as I mentioned, there's a desire for this gamble, an intangible thrill that one receives from not knowing until it's too late. The good news is that, within the fragrance world, I think doing this is safe. The reason is that fragrances, as a whole, aren't THAT expensive. Of course it's an expensive hobby, but it's cheaper than, say, clothes, cars, and of course, gambling. There are worst, more costly hobbies out there, each of which could also accomplish the thrill. I could buy a pair of $400 dollar jeans online, buy a car after not sufficiently test driving it, or blow $1,000 bucks on poker at the Caesar. But if I blind buy a fragrance and it flops, I'm still only set back somewhere in the $50-$300 range. It sucks, but it could be worse (btw, I don't mean to sound like a snob, $300 bucks is HUGE to me). So I guess my two-cents is, yes I think blind buying isn't too smart. I think we all know that. I think we're all aware that it's preferable and more mature to try things out first. But if it must be done, fragrances are a fairly safe outlet to do it.

I've had some success with blind buys and I've gotten burned, too. Even sampling has it's limitations if you are working with a dabber type sample. I've been fooled with top notes that don't seem to strong when I sampled with a dabber that as soon as I sprayed it on ruined the scent for me. Those little dabbers are good for ruling out scents for me but I've learned it rarely is something that seals it as a must have or anything.... occasionally it does, but rarely.

Even then just a spray sampling to a small area on an arm can not be enough as well. I need to get a full wearing of a fragrance to know for sure if it's something I will enjoy wearing all day long. Obviously there have been exceptions where as soon as I get even the smallest of sniffs I can tell if it's not even close to something I'd like or if it's something I love. I still prefer to have a full wearing to weed out any scents having something about it that I won't want to wear.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

You may have a point about "not being fussy about what goes on your shelf", I am certainly no connoisseur but the other side of that coin is that even when I love a fragrance after a while it becomes routine and the thrill is lost. Having many to choose from means that I can keep changing and can always find something to inspire me. I constantly find that scents seem different when I come back to them after a break. I also spend only a small fraction of the the figure you quoted though I probably buy even more frags than you mentioned.

Banned
    Blog Entries

ICANZAPYOU:

Point well made. I guess this argument applies to the people who have some financial constraints (though at the same time still have discretionary income).

My point is that the argument of some colognes such as Creeds and such being too high to buy means nothing if you are blindbuying with the same amount of money.

$100 is a lot up front for a cologne, but people would spend $30 four times on shitty colognes

Well, ultimately these are all silly arguments. Why argue that what works just fine for someone else is "stupid" because you have had a bad experience with it? If blind buying works for you, why not blind buy? If it doesn't, by all means stop doing it right away. If you get good information from reviews, use them. If not, ignore them. Dittos with samples and using astrology or metal detectors or what have you. Cheap, expensive, rare, high status, drug store scent: what works for you works for you. The fate of the Western World does not hinge on what fragrances we buy...

I blind buy only when i've read a few reliable reviews and find that kind of offer you can't refuse.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I blind buy all the time, though almost never retail. Japan has a huge number of second hand shops and I love going to see what frags people have sold off to them. People and businesses sell off unwanted/excess product all the time at pennies on the dollar (or sen on the yen). I got a near full bottle of L'Artisan's Mure et Musc the other day for $14 and a 99% full 100ml tester L'Eau par Kenzo for $3.50. For me, it's the fun of the hunt and learning. At prices like those, if I don't like what I buy I can easily give it to someone who does or re-sell it off to another recycle shop.

As a collector for almost four decades I almost always blind buy and never have had a regret.

That's why I decided to create a samples site for frags that are commonly discussed here at BN. I don't mind having a lot of bottles lying around, but not everyone feels the same way. And if you really want to try a large number of frags in a short period of time, getting samples makes more sense. I was more patient and decided to put together a large collection over a period of years, since I realized that there was a lot to learn and that my tastes might change (which in fact happened).

Blind buying.....that's what mini bottles are for! I have a lot of minis, lower risk and I just like the little bottles. Also I'll take more of a risk on a mini, like buying something marketed towards women. This is how I found out I like Ca Sent Beau. Reviews also help me decide, of course.

I have blind-bought some cheaper scents, but now I want to be more careful, sample, and save up for a bigger splurge.

What the hell else am i supposed to do with all that money in my paypal?????
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

There are two tricks to blind buying.

The first is to buy scents that are so cheap or such good deals, that it doesn't matter to you if two thirds are duds.

The second is to wean out who it is here who shares roughly 80 to 90% of your taste in fragrances. Assign far more weight to what they say or what they review, than you would to those who are fawning over some scent or other that you don't think much off. Pick your blind buys accordingly and the percentage hit rate of good blind buys should increase.
    Regards,
    Renato

I've taken some risks so far... Pure Malt, GIT, Aventus, MI, LDDM, Chergui...amongst others. I really haven't had an issue yet. I bought Encre Noire blind, and hated it...now I like quite a bit.

That's half the fun.

I just blind bought a bottle of Hugh Parsons Blue today and a 50ml decant of Tom Ford Amber Absolute that should arrive this week.

I'm confident I'll like the Hugh Parsons but I have no idea about the Amber Absolute!

Even with bad blinds I've made in the past, I still have a lot of fun figuring out exactly why I don't like it and what's going on in the fragrance that bothers me. And most can be sold back around 75% of the cost so it's a small loss for the thrill of the gamble and the experience of testing it right out of the bottle.

Amber Absolute is one of my favorites...hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Hugh Parsons is nice too. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    That's half the fun.

I just blind bought a bottle of Hugh Parsons Blue today and a 50ml decant of Tom Ford Amber Absolute that should arrive this week.

I'm confident I'll like the Hugh Parsons but I have no idea about the Amber Absolute!

Even with bad blinds I've made in the past, I still have a lot of fun figuring out exactly why I don't like it and what's going on in the fragrance that bothers me. And most can be sold back around 75% of the cost so it's a small loss for the thrill of the gamble and the experience of testing it right out of the bottle.
    Amber Absolute is a bit risky, but Hugh Parson's would be really hard not to like. Even if you nitpick it it's still a solid fragrance.

@silentrich Good to see it's in your top 10 summer list. I've been hunting it down for a while, finally got a good deal on it. As a big fan of aquatics I'm really curious to see how this compares to the others, the notes sound interesting.

@tainitsweet I hope so...Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Blind buying is like gambling. Some people do it and some don't.

The higher prices are the higher stakes, and the lesser costs are the lower stakes.

No one has to be the same. Just like in Las Vegas.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned

It's all a matter of risk/reward analysis. If you appraise the risk and feel you want to take it, go for it. If not, bide your time.

Just blind bought Moschino Uomo, Carbone de Belmaine, Mechant Loup, Voleur de Roses....
    Thats just the last couple of days.

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Just blind bought Moschino Uomo, Carbone de Belmaine, Mechant Loup, Voleur de Roses....

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

------------

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    There are only a handful of people's reccomendations that I will blind buy confidently from.
    This. hedonist nailed the answer.

Never trust reviews by the masses. I too have a small trustworthy list of posters who share the same tastes in quality frags.

This, to me it all depends on the frangrace and it's notes

This, to me it all depends on the frangrace and it's notes

I like to blind buy, usually based on the descriptions people give, or the reviews here, or just looking at the note breakdown will let me know whether I will like it or not. I'd much rather get a bottle than waste my time and money on samples. I do get samples, but only if they're free, or if it's something I'm really on the fence about.

Another thing is sometimes samples just aren't available, stores aren't available to sample at, or the cost to sample is just way too high.

Worst case I don't like what I got and I get most of what I spent back by selling it. I guess it's just not much of a risk to me.

I did it in the past and do not do it anymore, besides, If I am in a bad mood, I postponed my purchases as Bad mood has a direct impact on my purchase decisions.

Blog Entries

The reason to sometimes blind buy may be the element of surprise. But, it can also hit you in the face. If this was then my error, I could kick myself.

By contrast, if that same bottle were given to me as a present, I would at least try to like it, because it has an emotional meaning.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

$100 is a lot up front for a cologne, but people would spend $30 four times on shitty colognes
    This, exactly, has become the issue for me. I used to love blind buying, but after giving away 12-15 bottles of stuff I never wear recently I realized I could have purchased at least a few bottles of stuff I really like with that money. I still blind buy occasionally, but it is pretty rare these days, as I would rather build a stable collection of things I love wearing rather than constantly cycling stuff I'm not crazy about in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    This is pretty much how I buy blind, when I do it. When I was new to fragrances, I started off with blind buys, but once I figured out where to get samples of interesting things, I've mostly avoided it.

Basenotes Plus

Knit reads.......

Most blind buys will end up in the trash
    .................................................. ....FAINTS
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Concur!

Blind buying is totally neccessary. As long as you know what you are getting into, its all good. Besides, if I did not blind buy, I would not be able to have sampled the particular fragrance and it would just annoy me. Thats why we have a Basenotes marketplace. And don't throw them in the trash bin.....God-Almighty....what a terrible thing to do !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I did blind buys, probably will do more, because most of the fragrances I want can't be sampled here (my country) or found on the internet. I'm talking about vintage , discontinued even classics frags. I always read reviews and if I like the notes ,I'll take the risk. I definitely won't buy an expensive perfume blind. I've made just 5 blind buys ,all were between 35-60$ ,and I'm completely happy with my purchases.

Buying blind is a personal choice and is limited only by the risk-reward one is willing to take.

Personally, I don't do it. Sample blind, yes.

I'm against Blund Buying, but I still do it. I mean, if I'm interested in seeing what a scent smells like, and I can't do one of the following:

1. Can't test it in any of the umpteen brick and mortar stores around Chicago
    2. Can't purchase a sample online at any store, or decant seller.
    3. Can't buy a mini of the particular scent

If I can't otherwise test it, and it has any chance at all at being a grail.....I'm gonna need to blind buy it. If I have to sell it at a bargain price.....so be it. It'll be an expensive sampling.

Just think guys..... you could take out a woman to blow $100 on dinner and drinks only to find out during it she's someone you wouldn't want to spend another minute with. Plus you don't get to go on a website afterwards and trade or sell her to someone else.... well, most of the time you don't.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Just think guys..... you could take out a woman to blow $100 on dinner and drinks only to find out during it she's someone you wouldn't want to spend another minute with. Plus you don't get to go on a website afterwards and trade or sell her to someone else.... well, most of the time you don't.
    A life lesson indeed.

Blind buying fragrances is like talking yourself into sleeping with a girl, several months shy of the legal age of consent. It seemed like a great idea at the time...

I tend to make a good amount of blind buys for fragrances that aren't available at local retailers to test. I've had great results for the most part, except for my latest blinder, Versace The Dreamer--That was a mistake. Luckily, the sprayer wasn't working properly and the bottle just leaks, so I'm currently in the process of working out an exchange with the retailer. I got away with that one I suppose.