Code of Conduct

Default If I love Shalimar EDP would Shalimar Extrait be a good blind buy?

Shalimar is one of my most worn fragrances (love to wear it to bed).

I do not like Shalimar Initial too much. I prefer the EDP to the EDT.

Would Shalimar Extrait (vintage) be a worth while blind buy for me? I have not smelled this.

It will be my most expensive purchase but I feel I am getting a fair deal. I want it badly but I am curious if people who have loved the EDP have been disappointed with the extract.

Thanks.

Default Re: If I love Shalimar EDP would Shalimar Extrait be a good blind buy?

The vintage Parfum is out of this world. The current formulation of the extrait is just good and dont worth the money.

i have both and extrait is way too good...i find edp ok and bought it first but extrait is to die for..i will say shalimar extrait taught me a lot about the fine quality of extrait as compared to even edp..

I would not do it, Pure perfume is very expensive to be blind bought, try to sample it first.

Basenotes Institution

I love it, but really sample it first, it's expensive and as I'm sure you're aware vintage parfum smells so different than the parfum for sale on shelves now.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

It's great and in some ways the closest you'll get to 'the source', but I agree that you should try it first not just because of the ongoing changes over time from vintage to current, but more so because the experience of wearing the extrait is quite different from the EDP - it's 'closer' or 'quieter' in terms of projection and some people find this a bit of a let down after the radiance of the EDP.

Do sample! I'll give you this: Actually, I love love the old extrait in the zig zag box, but I prefer the current (I heard rumors of yet another reformulation in the past year, but I can't confirm) blue boxed over the black-golden boxed vintage extrait. The latter has an artificial quality that I found annoying. Try to get a sample of the extrait and if you like it go for the zig zag boxed stuff. Shalimar (sealed, stored in its box, practically no evaporation) seems to age like fine wine. Amazing!

Thank you all for the replies.

The only vintage extrait of Guerlain I have ever tried was Vol de Nuit. It was my most special scent sampling experience. It has completely changed the way I look at fragrances and purchase fragrances.

I will take your advice and try to get a good deal on a sample of Shalimar extrait first. Even small samples of these are very expensive, thus, me wanting a bottle at first go.

I wish the extraits were reasonably priced and available readily.

Thank you all again.