Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Chanel in Eau de Cologne strength?

On the men´s board there have been some talk about the Eau de Cologne strengths of old Guerlain fragrances, such as Jicky, Shalimar and Habit Rouge. They seem to be a little different in composition (I haven´t tried any yet...) - a little more to the male side but still with excellent longevity.

Have anyone tried Vintage Chanel women´s fragrances in Eau de Cologne strength? Especially Cuir de Russie. How do they compare to edt, edp and parfum?

Thanks in advance,
    Pelle
    Last edited by pelle; 1st September 2008 at 02:13 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Default Re: Vintage Chanel in Eau de Cologne strength?

I don't know Cuir Russie (yet), but I had No. 5 edc in the mid-1970's. It had way more longevity than today's edt or edp, smelled way more complex, and my scent recall of it is my benchmark for the way No. 5 should smell. with a sweetness that develops over time. But that's not available anymore. I haven't tried No. 5 in parfum yet, but it's probably what I'm looking for. Sorry, I can't help you with Cuir Russie.

I have Shalimar in eau de Cologne, and I love it. It's rather smoky, and fairly long lasting. It's nice that you can still get some Guerlains in eau de Cologne strength. They are very nicely made.

I basically agree on all accounts with Lillybelle. I have Chanel No. 5 in just about all its strengths, and in many of their ages (so some of my information is tainted with the possibility that my bottles are "aged" even if they all smell wonderful still), and find the EDC to be at least as strong as the EDT, in fact it seems technically as strong as a regular EDP at the very least. It is a richly integrated scent, too. I cannot speak to Cuir de Russie in EDC strength (sounds wonderful if you can find it).

I agree that Shalimar's EDC is richer too than the current EDT. I find the bergamot a little more biting in the EDC of Shalimar, if that makes sense, and the vanilla is more bourbon-like. (I'm not good at describing these aspects--bear with me). I love it and feel it was worth the hunt to know the difference.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I don't know Cuir Russie (yet), but I had No. 5 edc in the mid-1970's. It had way more longevity than today's edt or edp, smelled way more complex, and my scent recall of it is my benchmark for the way No. 5 should smell. with a sweetness that develops over time. But that's not available anymore. I haven't tried No. 5 in parfum yet, but it's probably what I'm looking for. Sorry, I can't help you with Cuir Russie.

I have Shalimar in eau de Cologne, and I love it. It's rather smoky, and fairly long lasting. It's nice that you can still get some Guerlains in eau de Cologne strength. They are very nicely made.
    Hi lilybelle,

I recently tried Chanel No. 5 Eau Première, and I thought to myself "This seems like an Eau de Cologne version of Chanel No. 5". Have you tried Chanel No. 5 Eau Première, and if so, are there any similarities to the real Chanel No. 5 EDC?

Thanks!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Hi lilybelle,

I recently tried Chanel No. 5 Eau Première, and I thought to myself "This seems like an Eau de Cologne version of Chanel No. 5". Have you tried Chanel No. 5 Eau Première, and if so, are there any similarities to the real Chanel No. 5 EDC?

Thanks!
    No. 5 Eau de Cologne is much more aldehydic, slightly soapy and just as floral and sharp as the EdT.

No. 5 Eau Premiere is gentler, the citrus is extremely evident, the aldehydes are buried (or nonexistent) and the florals are much more integrated into the whole accord.

I prefer the N5EP.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No. 5 Eau de Cologne is much more aldehydic, slightly soapy and just as floral and sharp as the EdT.

No. 5 Eau Premiere is gentler, the citrus is extremely evident, the aldehydes are buried (or nonexistent) and the florals are much more integrated into the whole accord.

I prefer the N5EP.
    I own an auction of the EDC Cuir de Russie today. What to expect?

I have a vintage No. 5 cologne, not EDC, in a rechargeable bucket bottle. The secret of the old No. 5 colognes' wonderful complexity is that they're filled with civet. They say the No. 5 formula hasn't been touched, but that's a ha-ha. Mine smells like my mom's 1960s version and may in fact be that old.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    I own an auction of the EDC Cuir de Russie today. What to expect?
    Not sure I've never smelled it.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Is this the baby that i won

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post

Chanel No .5 EDC was absolutely beautiful . Didn't they come in those screw top bottles ? I loved the screw top bottles very much . They should bring the No 5 EDC back . As you said Shalimar EDC is gorgeous as well. The old style EDCs certainly did have some tenacity !

Daniel
    - nice win !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lovely! Where did you find it?

I always wonder how bidders determine if something is authentic. How did you do it?
    ~~Huge fan of Hermes, Jean Claude Ellena and Patricia Nicolai!~~
    http://niche-perfume-reviews.blogspot.com/ - my perfume notes

Another lover of EdC (or cologne) concentrations in vintage fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by gvillecreative View Post
    Lovely! Where did you find it?

I always wonder how bidders determine if something is authentic. How did you do it?
    Just clicking in the bid button, waiting about 2 months to it arrive to Brazil and smelling the thingy.
    Never had a problem buying vintages (even the splash opened and/or used bottles).
    Maybe one time i will find a problem, but we need to pay to see

d4n13l - I have an older version of that Cuir de Russie EDC, I think. It's extremely tenacious and very animalic!! Mine (which I'm selling actually) was sealed with a gold-plated "CC" Chanel plug, and dated all the way back to the late 1920's, early 1930's. It has a different label than yours - I'm surprised your label is so bright in color.

IMG-20120507-00348.jpg

Sounds lovely. Its stronger than the current EDT in the private line?
    Thanks for the imput.

Much stronger than the current EDT in the Les Exclusifs - and with chypre elements and extremely animalic!

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Sounds lovely. Its stronger than the current EDT in the private line?
    Thanks for the imput.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Much stronger than the current EDT in the Les Exclusifs - and with chypre elements and extremely animalic!
    Sounds very old fashioned and decadent. Just as im expecting.