Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Overall, which of these two similar frags is better?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • West Side (Bond No. 9)

4 16.00%
  • Noir De Noir (Tom Ford Private Blend)

21 84.00%

Default Noir De Noir vs. West Side

I recently purchased Bond No. 9's West Side (as part of the Saks promo going on) because I really liked it (I love rose fragrances!). I realize why I like it so much, it reminds me so much of Tom Ford Private Blend Noir De Noir which I also own...Yikes!

It's hard to believe that aside from the rose, the notes differ between the two yet they smell exactly the same (to me at least). Same from the moment sprayed on to its drydown. Same hours later. What are your thoughts? Which of the two do you prefer, and why? Put the brand name aside and please answer based on the actual fragrances alone (overall performance... longevity/sillage, etc. etc.)

Best,

~Mark~

Default Re: Noir De Noir vs. West Side

Had I not own West Side, I would have bought Noir de Noir.

I prefer NdN actually.

Noir is the winner here, though both are very, very good.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Noir de Noir is basically Westside.
    The very slight differences being NdN feels a little darker and not as festive a.k.a without the wow factor that makes Westside so special
    I prefer Westside

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    Noir is the winner here, though both are very, very good.
    I concur.

But WS has this ultra industrial plastic accord that is so pleasing. Unlike no other.

for swap/sale:

I love Noir de Noir, and I also like West Side on my girlfriend. However, I don't find the two similar at all. I don't detect any rose note in West Side; it smells more similar to Coromandel.

Of the two - West Side

I was surprised at how much I enjoy West Side. I like to think of Noir de Noir like a high class Valentines Day, chocolate, liquor, and roses of course. West Side is like a trashy Valentines day, no chocolates, cheap wine, roses...still fun, maybe you'll regret it?

I just sampled Noir de Noir today for the first time, am I crazy is saying it has a very similar vibe to Coromandel?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I just sampled Noir de Noir today for the first time, am I crazy is saying it has a very similar vibe to Coromandel?
    @ Duke Hunt - I never connected the two until you brought it to my attention. While I may not say they have a very similar vibe, they do appear to be distantly related. But, Noir de Noir is a dark fragrance whereas I would not characterize Coromandel as dark, but warm and comforting.

I just wanted to bring this back, since I found myself a full bottle of West Side and have Noir de Noir also. I feel like they're just different enough to have both of. The common notes being rose (obviously) and vanilla, but Noir de Noir is set apart with the oud, which comparing the 2 is much stronger than I first thought. There is definitely a sweet rose is both, but West Side has a much lighter feeling to it. Almost like you could wear West Side during the day then while it's quieted down spray some NdN on and go out for the night. They are both really nice, and while I hate redundancy in my collection (I'm beginning to have a lot of roses) I can't see myself parting with either as of now. These 2 have a similar theme, but smell distinctly different.

Banned

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford - One is initially treated to an intriguing, floral accord. A sensual rose, not a pretty and prim rose, but a dusty and dark rose, nicely commingles with enchanting saffron with its earthy, dried-flower and faintly honeyed facets. Transitioning to the accretive heart, a demure oud encapsulates the majestic rose with its medicinal, yet sweet, and lightly smoky elements. Black truffle sprinkle the rose with its musky earthiness with hints of some dirtiness. Segueing to the alluring base, tree moss infuses the melange with its terpentine-like, pine needle aura adding a touch of mouldiness. Versatile patchouli imparts its slightly spicy and musty, peat moss character. A vanilla adds its woody and semi-sweet aspects. And, a faint cocoa smell flutters about. The interplay of the foregoing leads to an enticing drydown. This elegant, unisex composition is high quality and well blended. Bordering on the dramatic, this dark and sensuous scent has good projection and very good longevity.

NdN hands down.