Code of Conduct

Default Ralph Lauren Polo Blue: Complete Set review

It has been a while since my last complete set review. I enjoy doing complete set reviews of fragrance that I adore, and Polo Blue is no different, albeit much to the chagrin of many fume heads. Polo Blue for me was a distinct defining moment in my fragrance journey. I caught a whiff at its launch and I have loved it ever since. Reminds me of Caswell Massey's Newport in some ways.

So why now do I want to do a complete set review? Well, as previously mentioned, it's been ages since I have done one. The last ones I did can be found here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/224...iew?highlight=

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/264...nds?highlight=

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/264...les?highlight=

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/260...rat?highlight=

But the real reason is as follows:
    A typical evening searching eBay for deals on rare fragrances sold by unsuspecting sellers landed me smack dab in a dilemma. I discovered Polo Blue Sport being sold by a new seller (no ratings) and no one else was selling this. I did my google thing and came up completely empty. Not even the Ralph Lauren website had any info on this. Questions about its authenticity flooded my cranium, yet I was curious. The price was not bad but steep for a fake, which at this point in time was the conclusion I came to.

Then I posted it here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/300...ort?highlight=
    to see what others thought. But the replies made me doubt my initial assessment...maybe this is not fake after all. So I pulled the trigger...

Some years back, while at a duty-free somewhere in Europe, I ran across Polo Blue Club, a flanker that supposedly was only available in duty-free. Some time later, I acquired it online, but never tested it. Now that I have 3 variants of Polo Blue, I thought a complete set review was in order. There is a 4th variation that was released for the US market: Polo Red, White and Blue. I have yet to acquire this. If you hav eit and want to sell it, PM me please.

So here we go...

Polo Blue
    Most all are familiar with this. It was my introduction to 'blue' scents; I have loved them since. I can say I will never be without this scent. It is not my fav by a long shot, but something about Polo Blue goes very well with my spirit. It is distinct...you can tell when someone is wearing PB, and that I must say is the only set back: it is one of the most chemistry-resisting fragrances out there. I know lots of people don't like PB, but I do, and recommend you don't write it off if you've never tried it.

Polo Blue Club
    It's PB, only better. Smoother, less sharp, like a lighter 'eau fraiche' version that did not get watered down. The difference between the 2 would be like comparing a soda to its diet formulation. Some prefer one over the other. Is it worth a purchase? Yes, if you like PB.

Polo Red White and Blue
    I don't have this yet...waiting for it. But so far a thread I found here
    shows everyone describing it as I have described Polo Blue Club. I wonder if it is the same fragrance...I guess time will tell.

Polo Blue Sport
    My initial doubt about its authenticity subsided significantly when I received the bottle. It looks pretty good, and compared to Polo Blue, all the hallmarks of 'made by Polo's people' were there. So it is either a really good fake or a launch by RL that is simply not publicized. Very strange.
    The jus: many have speculated that this is Polo Sport in a different bottle. Not quite...more like a 50:50 mix of PB and PS diluted to 78% strength. There you have it: Polo Blue Sport is the love child of Polo Blue and Polo Sport.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Default Re: Ralph Lauren Polo Blue: Complete Set review

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these.

Thank You so much for this info.....I am a Polo Blue fan also!!!
    Gary

Thanks for that review! I do like Polo Blue, I used to love it..but lately when I smell it..all I smell is a very strong aquatic that kinda puts me off a bit. It's almost too aquatic for me. I used to kinda like that Polo Sport back in the day but haven't sniffed that one in soo long, who knows if I would like it. Interesting comment on the 'love child', I would like to sniff that one, just to see for myself what it's like.
    Last edited by kalli; 8th May 2012 at 03:43 AM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

The release of something by the name of Polo Blue Sport is still ridiculous in my opinion as the original Polo Blue is as light and "sporty" as any fragrance you will find. They'd be much better off releasing a stronger "Intense" or "Extreme" flanker instead, as the frequent complaints with Polo Blue are longevity and sillage as opposed to wearability.

Nonetheless, great review

Banned

Here's my different take on Polo Blue:

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren - One is initially treated to a fruity melange of melons, cucumber and tangerine; the sweetness thereof diluted by the watery freshness and somewhat medicinal flavor of the cucumber. This appealing opening meanders to the perky middle. Here, light piney sage, sweet, anise-like basil and bitter geranium stew with the freshness of the opening, imparting some pep to the lackadaisical fruitiness. The brewing spicy heart is beckoned by the signature base. A confluence of soft, leather suede, sweet amber wood, heady patchouli, velvety moss and sheer musk subsumes the spicy fruits, and carries the composition to its green drydown. This ho-hum composition has poor longevity - lasting 4-5 hours, and poor projection - 2 hours at most.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    Polo Blue Sport
    The jus: many have speculated that this is Polo Sport in a different bottle. Not quite...more like a 50:50 mix of PB and PS diluted to 78% strength. There you have it: Polo Blue Sport is the love child of Polo Blue and Polo Sport.
    Thanks for such a precise description. I always liked the top half of Polo Sport, does it have all the same effervescent, minty top notes as og Polo Sport ?

Thanks for your review.

I actually like Polo Blue quite a bit, especially for the summer months - and I often blend it with Prada Infusion D'Homme because I like the blend and it gives the Polo Blue a bit better longevity - don't know why, the molecules in the Infuion must mix with the molecules in Polo Blue and create a better lasting scent. I get 4-6 hours from Polo Blue alone, while I get 8-10 hours with Infuion D'Homme blended in. Infusion D'Homme lasts 12-14 hours on my skin, and the last hours it's only Infusion I smell.......

Some times the sweet melon/cucumber note in Polo Blue can get cloying, so I only use it in mild heat, not very warm weather.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Thanks for such a precise description. I always liked the top half of Polo Sport, does it have all the same effervescent, minty top notes as og Polo Sport ?
    I loved Polo Sport in the 90's . best sport frag ever IMHO

Only problem - longevity was 3-4 hours even in warm weather
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Thanks for sharing these impressions with us, since I am also one of the fans of Polo Sport

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I loved Polo Sport in the 90's . best sport frag ever IMHO

Only problem - longevity was 3-4 hours even in warm weather
    Are you speaking nostalgically or in terms of quality/purpose? To me it brings me back to that 90s era whenever I smell it and I enjoy it for that reason, but objectively I have to say it's one of the most synthetic fragrances I've ever come across

Thanks for this, what a super read it is!

I'm a big RL fan (as my wardrobe will testify), but I had no idea either Blue Sport or Blue Club existed! I do own Blue (in a small quantity) and R,W&B though (not for sale btw! but it's still fairly easily available over here) - I absolutely love the R,W&B bottle! RL at their best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    Are you speaking nostalgically or in terms of quality/purpose? To me it brings me back to that 90s era whenever I smell it and I enjoy it for that reason, but objectively I have to say it's one of the most synthetic fragrances I've ever come across
    I maybe nostalgic - I haven't smelled it since probably 1996
    I used it a lot from 1993-1996, A LOT !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Banned
    Blog Entries

i never tried the spinoffs, but polo blue is a good spicy melon aquatic. good drydown too.

Thanks all, glad you guys enjoyed the review.

Dullah, it does indeed have the minty effervescence, except it is muted now and more tolerable. One of my issues with PS was that overly strong intro and the synthetic nature that is unrelenting. Both issues have been fixed in PBS, though I think it could really use an intense version. I def like it but I am not in love.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Thanks all, glad you guys enjoyed the review.

Dullah, it does indeed have the minty effervescence, except it is muted now and more tolerable. One of my issues with PS was that overly strong intro and the synthetic nature that is unrelenting. Both issues have been fixed in PBS, though I think it could really use an intense version. I def like it but I am not in love.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Pulled the trigger on Club! Waiting on delievery. Thanks Andrew

A less expensive and in my opinion, better version of Polo Blue is Izod for men. Less than $20 a bottle.

Hey i love the new polo blue sport, i just purchase it from dillard it supposed to be release in july, but they are already selling it.