Code of Conduct

Default Etro Gomma: What's your opinion?

I just received a sample of Gomma the other day. My first impression is that it's a toned-down Knize Ten with more floral elements. I only have 0.7 ml I can't do any real testing other than wearing it on a wrist or arm but it's already jumped to the top of my 'to-buy' list, right behind Cuir Ottoman. I'm curious to hear what everyone else thinks of this scent. Is it a worthwhile addition to my collection or would it be a bit redundant? Perhaps my money would be better spent on another bottle of Knize Ten...or Knize Ten Golden Edition?

Default Re: Etro Gomma: What's your opinion?

I find that the genre of leather Gomma falls under differs from that of Knize Ten.

Gomma is more synthetic. An aura of rubber but wearable not industrial.

I own Gomma, Knize Ten and Peau d'Espagne and have no sense of overlap from them.

The only other contender to Gomma is Peau d'Espagne. That ,though, is a beast.

for swap/sale:

I've never gotten rubber from Gomma, so I'm guessing it's mostly in the top notes, which I try to avoid. I agree that it is a more mild and softly floral version of The Knize Ten. If that is something that works for you, it may be possible to acquire Gomma at a lower price, and so that's a "good thing."

From what I know and what I recall: a strong, but smooth citrus-leather

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    From what I know and what I recall: a strong, but smooth citrus-leather
    This sounds like Je Suis un Homme.

Gomma is very surreal. Sure yes, its leather. But its unlike any other leather (sans Pd'E) that I've smelled. Its not soft and suede-like nor is it astringent like Knize Ten, Bandit and Cuir de Russe.

The picture of a pair of semi-tanned leather hide soaking in a vat of blended petroleum-derived chemicals and cloves.

for swap/sale:

Sound Scents

Thanks to Hedonist's enormous generosity I was able to try it recently. I loved the opening that reminded me of the excellent leathery vintage Givenchy Gentleman with some floral elements thrown in for good measure, but unfortunately in the end it was not for me, as the tar and rubber accord in the scent's heart was just too overpowering on my skin and covered up just about everything else.
    Last edited by drseid; 8th May 2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by andregooren View Post
    Perhaps my money would be better spent on another bottle of Knize Ten...or Knize Ten Golden Edition?
    Absolutely yes!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

We discussed this recently in another thread, and it came up that some people tend to find Gomma sweeter than Knize Ten. I wouldn't call it sweet, though, if anything I'd say the leather element in Gomma is much cleaner, less aggressive, and more rubbery. Gomma makes me think of spotless leather furniture or the interior of a brand new car. It has that kind of motorized/race track ambience. It does have a more synthetic feel to it, although not the brash synthetics of, say, CdG Skai. Gomma is very wearable and yet smells slightly old-fashioned (in a positive way). More like Knize Ten meets Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia: an old world dandy with a penchant for mischief sets off in his neatly polished convertible...

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    The only other contender to Gomma is Peau d'Espagne. That ,though, is a beast.
    Out of interest, do you mean the Santa Maria Novella frag? If so, what's your opinion on this one?
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Out of interest, do you mean the Santa Maria Novella frag? If so, what's your opinion on this one?
    Yes I am referring to the SMN.

It is a challenging perfume. It is very strong. It makes Bandit and Knize Ten quiver if that were a measure of strength.
    Of course brawn is not always the solution, sometimes brain is required. Pd'E has both but bigger muscles.

Its one of the few perfumes that I only spray 3 or 4 sprays.

Stark, astringent, strict, austere are words that come to mind.

I don't wear it often, I think I can't, but when I do I enjoy it tremendously.

for swap/sale:

Gomma is exactly the kind of leather I abhor. To me, Gomma gives leather a bad name, lol! I am glad I explored other leather-centered frags, or else I would have wrongly thought that I hate leather notes.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

When I first sprayed on Gomma I thought I was smelling the pink erasers of my youth. I love the memory and the rubbery quotations in the scent. This rubbery quality sets Gomma apart from many other leathers in my collection, and I would not want to be without it.

Gommais, as mentioned, a softer floral leather. It does have a "rubber vibe" to it. This was the second "niche" purchase I ever made. After Eau d'Hadrien from AG. I still really enjoy. SMN-Peau d'Espagneis fantastic IMO. It is a stark, in-your-face, leather. I believe you will be noticed. Great stuff.
    Remember when life gives you lemons make lemonade, also find someone whose life gave them vodka. Have a party!

To my unsophisticated nose, Gomma and Knize Ten smell extremely similar. Gomma is simply a slightly milder, rounder version of the same thing.