Code of Conduct

Default HELP! I'm in the market for my first niche'. It needs to be a citrus scent for the warm months.

Guys I seriously need your help on this. I have done so much research and have really only narrowed it down to one fragrance. That fragrance is millesime imperial. surprised? probably not..

It's the only fragrance that I see being the best option for the warmer months so far.

One repercussion to getting MI is that my best friend has had it for almost a year now. I know what you're thinking...REALLY LAME that you would sacrifice getting something you like just because your best friend has it.

The only reason why I haven't already pulled the trigger on MI is that I want to know from you guys if there is a better option for a 22 year old when it comes to niche' fragrances for the summer months. I feel like MI is such a universal buy when it comes to any man delving into the niche' market.

I would really love to take my niche' to the beach with me in a month and be blown away standing in the sand smelling something truly amazing.

Default Re: HELP! I'm in the market for my first niche'. It needs to be a citrus scent for the warm months.

1861 or Kobe by Xerjoff - you'll smell better than your best friend.

Sound Scents

Default Re: HELP! I'm in the market for my first niche'. It needs to be a citrus scent for the warm months.

The only thing that matters here is what you think. You have already stated you did your research and have determined it is the best option for you... So, it sounds like you have done your homework and made your choice. My advice is for you to not over think it and go ahead and wear MI with pride.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I think is a good fragrance to start up your Niche adventure.
    I personally like it very much, off course there are another options, however I would not know if your nose would be calibrated enough to enjoy them.
    The most important aspect you have already mentioned, you like MI, therefore pull the trigger it is a good choice, for the summer / spring months, very versatile.

Assuming you have actually worn MI and not just smelled it on your friend, I think it would be a fine buy for you if you like it. Other nice warm weather Creeds to sample/consider are Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Virgin Island Water, Original Vetiver and Erolfa. Some also think Aventus can be worn year 'round. And if you can find it, Selection Verte is perhaps the best warm weather Creed of all with its citrus and mint.

Virgin Island Water is a great niche scent (for the beach especially), but you definitely need to sample it before buying because it's not like your typical cologne. But if you're looking for a tropical summer scent (that you'll likely be the only one wearing), it's a fun one to consider.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 8th May 2012 at 08:21 AM.

I think you should definitely make your decision regardless of what your friend wears. If you really love MI, then when you purchase it, love it, and wear it every day, then MI will become YOUR fragrance too. But hey, there are tons and tons of niches out there and you should try more. L'Artisan, Penhaligon, Montale, Frederic Malle. Spend 10 bucks more than the price of a 1 oz Creed and get a 50 ml Frapin!

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    ^^^This. I'll add Xerjoff Nio and Fiero.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I'm not sure whether Geranium pour Monsieur is classified as citrus but it is a great fragrance for warmer weather.

Cravache - woody - lemony
    Esprit du Roi - soft lemony vetiver

for swap/sale:

TF Neroli Portofino or Bond No 9 Eau de New York.

Heeley - Oranges and lemons say the bells at St. Clements
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Basenotes Junkie

Aqua Di Parma Colonia ... if it's considered niche at all? I think it is?

About MI, it's nifty. Not groundbreaking or magical, but damn good.

Also seconding Xerjoff Kobe or Fiero ... if you're filthy rich

Creeds Original Vetiver is a good green citrus fragrance that works really well in the heat.

I prefer Green Irish Tweed over MI, although it's still a good shout. I'll second Xerjoff 1861/Kobe/Nio too.

Villoresi Uomo, and it won't break the bank either.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Why not go with Erolfa? It's more interesting than MI.

Why not buy decants of different things? This guy is selling decants at good prices. And all his purchases are from the creed boutique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMj-d...&feature=g-u-u

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    +1.

Malle's Cologne Bigarade/Bigarade Concentree are worth testing.
    Also check out CDG Play.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Malle's Cologne Bigarade/Bigarade Concentree are worth testing.
    I'd also check these two out.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Why not go with Erolfa? It's more interesting than MI.
    Agreed. Erolfa is perfect for the brazilian hot weather, it lasts for ages on my skin and the drydown is superb, imho.

I just smelled Atelier Cologne Grand Neroli! This is a wonderful, crisp and stunning aroma!

Sel Marin is great for smelling like the beach when you're away from the beach. EROLFA as mentioned is also a good choice. L'Humaniste is great, and lastly I'll recommend Coney Island by Bond no 9. They all have a citrus vibe, and I think they all smell better than MI.

Everyone seems to praise 1861 by Xerjoff as one of the most realistic citruses out there. I plan on getting some as soon as I get a bit more $$

+1 Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo

+1 Frapin L'Humaniste

I also recommend Guerlain Homme L'Eau (i consider guerlain niche)

+1 Erolfa

And definitely look into the Atelier Cologne line, they do citrus scents very well. Oolang Infini and Bois Blond are standouts.

Eau d'Hadrien
    Virgin Island Water

Check out the products by Aqua Di Parma....
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I like Acqua di Parma Essenza, and also Colonia.

I'm buy no means an expert but I can offer a few interesting twists. They might not be niche but man do they do the job.
    Acqua Di Parma (oops seems everyone and their brother beat me to that)
    Hermčs’ Concentré D'Orange Verte
    Guerlain Homme

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

You should try sel de vetiver

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Sel Marin is great ....
    +1, and try:

Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris - Initially, one is pleasantly immersed in an herbal deluge of red thyme, with its camphoraceous and woody facets, rosemary, with its linalool and coniferous aspects as well as clary sage, with its dry greenness and salty character. This remarkable accord conjures a parched, salt marshland, and meanders to the awaiting middle. Here, in the majestic heart, free-spirited wildflowers are added to the mix with the rich, floral elegance of narcissus, the spiciness of rugosa rose, as well as the stateliness of iris. The revised melange takes on a seaside splendor. Magical ambrette, with its fruity and oily, inoffensive muskiness supplies a benign undertone. Transitioning to the waiting base, a refreshing medley of relaxed and aged driftwood, luxurious and scented suede, smoky and green oakmoss as well as dry and salty vetiver, coaxes to the alluring drydown. This bewitching composition is basically a skin scent, with average longevity, but is nonetheless singular.

&

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company - Upon application, one is treated to a refreshing mixture of tangy grapefruit commingling with the mild spiciness of cardamon. A vetiver undercurrent imparts its reedy and grassy facets, and carries the almost airy opening to its metamorphic heart. Here, parsley-like liveche imparts its celery-like and faintly anise facets and interplays with the cardamon to foster a medicinal and salty illusion, while geranium add its lemony and slightly peppery, herbaceous quality. And, a creamy floralcy from ylang-ylang flutters about the fragrant, rooty and woody aspects of a pronounced vetiver. Transitioning to the comforting base, iris with its violet-like and powdery character interplays with a musty, yet peppery, earthiness from patchouli. Salicylates impart a faint odor of sunbathing lotion, while the smoky aspect of the vetiver now comes into its own. A mellow drydown ensues. This somewhat light composition have average projection and longevity.

I'd add Amouage Ciel Man, it reminded me of MI but I like Ciel a little better.

Erolfa and Virgin Island Water are good choices from the Creed line.

Bond No. 9's Coney Island is a good versatile fragrance with citrus in it... margarita mix!

Or try Batucada from L'Artisan... It's basically Creed's Virgin Island Water minus the coconut.

Another... Palermo from Byredo.

Basenotes Junkie

I love Bond no 9 Little Italy-awesome citrus, as well as Diptyque Oyedo-It's a hard candy sort of citrus which is really awesome and different, and, for a niche is very cheap-$110 for a 100ml.

Miller Harris Tangerine Vert worked pretty well for me, and maybe even Czech and Speak Citrus Paradisi

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I'd add Amouage Ciel Man, it reminded me of MI but I like Ciel a little better.
    I 2nd Ciel Man. Unbelievable for summer. Very original (at least to my nose), haven't smelled anything else like it.

Try Silver Mountain Water. Or if you wanna blow your friend away, get Aventus.

Do you know anything about this guy? These prices are outstanding, and I could potentially receive three 50ml bottles of Creed for $200. The only thing is, I don't see any feedback on him or his channel outside of a few youtube comments. He doesn't seem as official as some other split threads I've seen here on Basenotes.