Code of Conduct

Default Santalum Album: Is It All (Mostly) the Same Stuff?

Hello to everyone

A gent on another forum made a recommendation for 5ml of pure sandalwood oil from an on-line shop based in India. According to him, it's pure, lovely Mysore sandalwood—the price for the vial is €40. I was thinking seriously of ordering some, but then I noticed a new "classy" line of essential oils at the health store... among them is a sandalwood oil, and the bottle says it's pure santalum album. Most of the other oils are in the $5–$10 range, but the sandalwood is around $55.

My main question is: if it says "santalum album", does that necessarily mean it's Mysore sandalwood, or is the same variety able to be grown elsewhere? If it is authentic Indian sandalwood, is there a lot of variation in the quality (and the aroma) of oil available from different vendors? I realise that there are probably aged and super-premium type of oils around, which cost >$1000 per millilitre, but if two oils are in roughly the same price range, are they likely to be more or less equal?

FWIW, the bottle was very tightly sealed, with a second seal of plastic shrink-wrap around the lid... I still tried to smell it, and the tiny micro-whiff I got was quite exciting—a very deep and warm woody smell, with a kind of spicy high note (a bit like cinnamon). Also FYI, the gent on the other forum is (quite rightly) very highly regarded, and he really knows his stuff, especially when it comes to oils, ouds, etc.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Santalum Album: Is It All (Mostly) the Same Stuff?

I read this on the website of Enfleurage in NYC, which sells essential oils:

"This is the closest to real Indian sandalwood that we have seen in ages. In fact, botanically it is the same, Santalun album. The difference is that it's grown in Indonesia. Usually sandalwood oils from other places are a poor and sad imitation of the past warm voluptuousness of delicious Indian oil. This Indonisian retains some the past glory of Indian Mysore sandalwood oil."
    http://enfleurage.com/oils-r-y.html#Sandalwood%205ml

They have 2ml and 5ml vials of this Indonesian sandalwood they sell. I am not affiliated but have bought from them at their shop.

Thanks for the reply!

I guess what I'm trying to find out here is: if it says "santalum album" on the bottle, is it a fair bet that it's decent juice? Or should I just avoid taking a gamble and try one of the on-line vendors that have been recommended?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by nathan.k View Post
    I guess what I'm trying to find out here is: if it says "santalum album" on the bottle, is it a fair bet that it's decent juice? Or should I just avoid taking a gamble and try one of the on-line vendors that have been recommended?
    I've never smelled a Santalum album oil that didn't smell "good." But there is a lot of variation and aging etc which can take a sandalwood from "good" to "great." Mysore is generally considered the best.

Very important is to ensure that you are getting your oil from a supplier that is sourcing it from legal production. S. album is endangered and only a small amount is legally harvested every year.

Thanks very much to both of you, this is good info!