Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Opaque bottles drive me crazy

Which bottles are TOTALLY opaque though? Fleur du Male, for instance, is not. With a bright light source you can see exactly how much juice is inside.

The only bottle I have that there is simply no way to tell (especially since it uses a bag to house the juice, so the sloshing method really doesn't work, and I'm assuming the condensation method won't, either) is Narciso Rodriguez for Him.

Well, I'm going to have to eat my words. I just checked Bond No. 9 Wall Street and with the lights off and using my phone flash I can make out the level even through the almost complete black coated glass. So, thanks for the tips hedonist! Looks like all I need to know are my Rive Gauche and CSP bottles. I really don't care enough to put them in the fridge, so maybe on a more curious day.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Well, I'm going to have to eat my words. I just checked Bond No. 9 Wall Street and with the lights off and using my phone flash I can make out the level even through the almost complete black coated glass. So, thanks for the tips hedonist! Looks like all I need to know are my Rive Gauche and CSP bottles. I really don't care enough to put them in the fridge, so maybe on a more curious day.
    Glad it worked for you!

For RG, this is the shipping weight as per amazon.com : Shipping Weight: 5.6 ounces

Do the math...
    for swap/sale:

Weight is not very accurate IMO - bottles from the same mold can vary quite significantly in their weight. It seems odd, but it's true. I've noticed significant variations in weight (+/- 10% at least) in these very small bottles I use to hold my natural ingredients in dilution. I mean, you can probably get a rough estimate by using weight, (and it's probably easier w/ Rive Gauche as I doubt there's as much variation in an aluminum can), but I wouldn't feel confident stating an exact % in a sale thread, for example, if the only way I could check how full the bottle was by weight.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Bright light work on most bottle, I have tries this method a few minutes ago on GIT, Bleecker St., Avignon, Antaeus, and NR Musc for Him. Only truely opaque bottle is NR Musc for Him. By the way, My Avignon is almost empty now --. I wish my local CDG still have a few bottles in their stock.

For the weighting method, the most effective way is to weight it before your 1st spray, then weight it again to see how much weight left, then do the match.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage: Tribute Attar, Jubilation XXV, GoldMan
    ------ Serge Lutens: Chêne, Tubéreuse Criminell, Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore, Coromandel
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir, Tobacco Vanille
    ------- Hermès: Terre D'Hermès Parfum, Ambre Narguilé
    ------ EDP Frederic Malle: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Parfum MDCI: Invasion Barbare
    Currently wearing: Incense Rosé by Tauer

Great thread. I never had a problem with opaque- I can keep these bottles out in the open, and I know when it's empty because when I press the sprayer nothing comes out.

The no-cap thing does bug me a bit, though!
    K

I hate this, especially if its a fragrance I do a lot of decanting of. I have tried shining a bright light, now I have to consider sanding the bottle...

The 100% opaque are the worst in my opinion, as it gets s difficult after a certain pint to estimate the juice left and/or to decide whether a backup purchase is justified or not

Dependent Space Flight Navigator's Avatar

If the one time it runs out on you, order another bottle and deal with it. It's not like you don't have something else to wear, right?

I use my smartphone "torch" function, if you place it right behind the bottle you can see the level most of the times.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

24 Gold is one such bottle I think where you can't see how much is left

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

I agree. I prefer see through glass... especially if it's sexy see through glass like those awesome Tauer bottles, or the Interlude Man bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    The only way to find out how much is there left in the opaque bottle would be probably to weight them...
    You'd have to know how much a full bottle weighs and how much an empty bottle weighs.

I like the idea of opaque bottles protecting the juice, but it'd be best if opaque bottles have a see through bottom.
    Current Favorites (not in any particular order)
    Rose 31
    Nio
    Petit Matin
    APOM
    Curve
    Royal Oud
    Dior Homme
    Endymion
    Aqua Celestia
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    1725 Casanova
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Bergamote Soleil
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

My bottle of Paco is metallic and not transparent at all. Rive Gauche and Nemo and several Armanis (Night, etc) are impossible to see through. Burberry London is also pretty much covered. There is also Dior Higher. On the other hand, these give me hope that there is still a lot juice left in them.

Narciso Rodriguez for him edt, current Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme and vintage Tsar are examples of ones you can't see what is still inside with a bright light behind them.
    A difficult one is Chanel Allure Homme Sport on which you have too look through the bottom towards the sprayer with the light shining on the top sprayer part to the bottom to see how much is left in it!

@Antaeus and Encre Noire you do not even need a light for and Bleecker Street just a little light will do.
    My Top '11' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten
    - Amouage: Interlude

Blog Entries

Agree, opaque bottles are annoying and ugly.

I'm not around my fragrances now so I can't do it, but I remember the first time I held an older bottle of Antaeus up to the light seeing the glass as sort of a deep purple and easily seeing the level of fragrance. Love that color.

I don't like opaque bottles. Even the ones you can actually see through with a back-lighting with an LED flashlight. Transparent or translucent bottles are much prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothschild View Post
    My bottle of Paco is metallic and not transparent at all. Rive Gauche and Nemo and several Armanis (Night, etc) are impossible to see through. Burberry London is also pretty much covered. There is also Dior Higher. On the other hand, these give me hope that there is still a lot juice left in them.
    Yup. Burberry London is hard to see. You cant do the condensation test either.

Basenotes Plus

They don't bother me at all. If one day the juice is completely gone, I'll just toss the bottle and pick another option from the wardrobe. IMO there's no need to get your knickers in a bunch over something this trivial.
    Currently wearing: Esencia Loewe by Loewe

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    They don't bother me at all. If one day the juice is completely gone, I'll just toss the bottle and pick another option from the wardrobe. IMO there's no need to get your knickers in a bunch over something this trivial.
    I agree, if the frag is just for my consumption....but its an issue if you're selling your bottle or decanting it for others.

Banned

I guess I'm alone in digging opaque bottles. I love my matte black La Nuit De L'Homme. Feast your eyes, boys...

IMG_4075.jpg

I can audibly get a good gauge on how much is left by shaking the bottle.
    Wear what you want and don't listen to people who tell you that you didn't spend enough.