Code of Conduct

Default Opaque bottles drive me crazy

Opaque glass, tin cans, that little gold star they put over Pure Coffee for some reason...I'd love to know how much I have left of you, but I just can't. It's like you're hiding from me, and just won't open up. You drive me crazy.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Opaque bottles drive me crazy

They drive me crazy too . I like to see what's left . I usually have to hold the bottle up to the light to see how much is in it. Montales are a guessing game.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

The only way to find out how much is there left in the opaque bottle would be probably to weight them...

At least they protect the juice from the light.

Blog Entries

tsuzumi had a great idea that he posted recently on a similar thread; I will quote him:

"Put the bottles in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes--enough to get the juice chilled. Take the bottles out, put them in a slightly humid atmosphere. At first, condensation will cover the whole bottle. Wipe them down, and watch as the bottles return to room temperature. The cooler juice will continue to form condensation, while the upper part of the bottle will be closer to room temperature, so it will not form condensation. The line of condensation on the bottle will tell you the level of the juice."

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/295...=1#post2466820

Nothing is too opaque or colored for a bright light.

I've been able to see what's inmy GIT and SMW by holding a light behind it.

For Tanellis , just unscrew the top.

What else you got???

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    At least they protect the juice from the light.
    Yep, exactly what I was going to say. There's a reason beer in green or clear bottles is sometimes a spoiled, skunky mess.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

What else you got???
    I'll have to try that with my GIT, never would have thought... Ok how about rive gauche?

Personally they don't bother me at all.

They do bug me a bit. Kind of annoying really

Opaque bottles do bother me slightly. What bothers me even more though are bottles without caps (such as Bvlgari Man). I need to be able to sniff under the cap when I'm deciding on my SotD. Scents that don't allow me to do that get worn less often as a consequence.

Yeah it's annoying! But I'm sure if the idea is to swap it, the person on the receiving end will understand if it's not EXACTLY on the dot.

I agree with OP,it sucks not to know how much juice you have left.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Opaque bottles do bother me slightly. What bothers me even more though are bottles without caps (such as Bvlgari Man). I need to be able to sniff under the cap when I'm deciding on my SotD. Scents that don't allow me to do that get worn less often as a consequence.
    Heh, I made a previous thread about that too. I'm just a big complainer.

What else you got???
    Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    ... Ok how about rive gauche?

I was going to say the same thing. I think you have to do the condensation trick to tell with this one.

Or ... someone mentioned weighing. If you have an empty bottle, you can weigh it on a postal scale, then weight the non-empty one to get the weight of the juice inside.

Alcohol weighs about 0.8 gram per ml, so as a pretty close approximation, dividing the weight in grams by 0.8 (or multiplying by 1.25) will give you the amount left in ml.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can also ballpark it by gauging the force and the sonic characteristics of the sloshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    You can also ballpark it by gauging the force and the sonic characteristics of the sloshing.
    I'm not a scientist, so I don't exactly understand terms like "sonic characteristics" and "sloshing"

I'll have to try that with my GIT, never would have thought... Ok how about rive gauche?
    Not meant to be sold/swapped LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Same here!

for swap/sale:

Oh I wasn't planning on it. It's for deciding when/if I need to repurchase it when it gets low.

They're the best in my opinion. I don't have to worry about shielding them from the light. It's not hard to give it a shake to gauge how much is left... and it's not as if you won't know when it's empty....

Of course not, but how to know when it's time to buy a new one? Best to stock up and get a few backup bottles, as they've discontinued it now - except for the one in that silly little cube bottle that's probably been reformulated anyway.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

They are often beautiful but yeah, they bug me because I need to see the glass (or the bottle) way more than half full or otherwise I get frustrated 'n' sad.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

With any opague Creed, just hold it up to a bright light and give it a slight shake. No problem!

Hold it upside down then rotate it to normal, the louder the splash , the longer it took to splash will indicate how little is left.

If its pretty full it wont splash loudly and it'll be quicker.

for swap/sale:

I'm not a scientist, so I don't exactly understand terms like "sonic characteristics" and "sloshing"
    Then let me break it down super scientifically.

If you grasp a bottle from the very top with two fingers and move it back and forth like a pendulum:

High resistance can be felt in the fingers, hard to grasp when direction is changed
    Low frequency noise coming from the liquid (*glug*) --> CLOSER TO FULL

Moderate resistance can be felt in the fingers
    High and low frequency noises coming from the liquid (*splish* *sploosh*) --> HALF-FULL

Little additional resistance can be felt in the fingers beyond the weight of the bottle
    High frequency noise coming from the liquid (*pshhhh* *splish*) ---> NEARING EMPTY

Hold it upside down then rotate it to normal, the louder the splash , the longer it took to splash will indicate how little is left.

If its pretty full it wont splash loudly and it'll be quicker.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Then let me break it down super scientifically.

If you grasp a bottle from the very top with two fingers and move it back and forth like a pendulum:

High resistance can be felt in the fingers, hard to grasp when direction is changed
    Low frequency noise coming from the liquid (*glug*) --> CLOSER TO FULL

Moderate resistance can be felt in the fingers
    High and low frequency noises coming from the liquid (*splish* *sploosh*) --> HALF-FULL

Little additional resistance can be felt in the fingers beyond the weight of the bottle
    High frequency noise coming from the liquid (*pshhhh* *splish*) ---> NEARING EMPTY
    Thanks for this. I printed it out and taped it to the back of all my trouble bottles. No more worries!

Ha, this was a more useful and entertaining read than I was expecting.

Many good recommendations here

I learned 2 things today...

First, that the GIT bottle is actually a super dark purple and second, I've used way more than I thought.

This just one of the reasons that im giving away my whole collection.....
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Which bottles are TOTALLY opaque though? Fleur du Male, for instance, is not. With a bright light source you can see exactly how much juice is inside.

The only bottle I have that there is simply no way to tell (especially since it uses a bag to house the juice, so the sloshing method really doesn't work, and I'm assuming the condensation method won't, either) is Narciso Rodriguez for Him.

Well, I'm going to have to eat my words. I just checked Bond No. 9 Wall Street and with the lights off and using my phone flash I can make out the level even through the almost complete black coated glass. So, thanks for the tips hedonist! Looks like all I need to know are my Rive Gauche and CSP bottles. I really don't care enough to put them in the fridge, so maybe on a more curious day.

Well, I'm going to have to eat my words. I just checked Bond No. 9 Wall Street and with the lights off and using my phone flash I can make out the level even through the almost complete black coated glass. So, thanks for the tips hedonist! Looks like all I need to know are my Rive Gauche and CSP bottles. I really don't care enough to put them in the fridge, so maybe on a more curious day.
    Glad it worked for you!

For RG, this is the shipping weight as per amazon.com : Shipping Weight: 5.6 ounces

Do the math...

for swap/sale:

Weight is not very accurate IMO - bottles from the same mold can vary quite significantly in their weight. It seems odd, but it's true. I've noticed significant variations in weight (+/- 10% at least) in these very small bottles I use to hold my natural ingredients in dilution. I mean, you can probably get a rough estimate by using weight, (and it's probably easier w/ Rive Gauche as I doubt there's as much variation in an aluminum can), but I wouldn't feel confident stating an exact % in a sale thread, for example, if the only way I could check how full the bottle was by weight.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Bright light work on most bottle, I have tries this method a few minutes ago on GIT, Bleecker St., Avignon, Antaeus, and NR Musc for Him. Only truely opaque bottle is NR Musc for Him. By the way, My Avignon is almost empty now --. I wish my local CDG still have a few bottles in their stock.

For the weighting method, the most effective way is to weight it before your 1st spray, then weight it again to see how much weight left, then do the match.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Great thread. I never had a problem with opaque- I can keep these bottles out in the open, and I know when it's empty because when I press the sprayer nothing comes out.

The no-cap thing does bug me a bit, though!
    K