Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: It's really getting to me...so many mens designer scents just don't last, even many niche scents

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    You want staying power? Try Puredistance M or any of the Tom Ford Private Blends. They are expensive, but they last a very long time and project lik Leia's message to Obi Wan Kenobi from R2-D2's face.
    So about 5 feet?

Default Re: It's really getting to me...so many mens designer scents just don't last, even many niche scents

Fragrances seem to last a long time on me and my skin is normal to dry. I can spray a fragrance on at 7:00am go to work, get off work head to the gym for 2 hours get home and still smell it after 10+ hours.

Here are some ways to make it last longer:

1. Shower before spraying on a fragrance. Your pores will be open therefore when you spray on a fragrance it will absorb into your skin and will last longer.

2. Use a non-scented lotion. Be sure to apply more to areas where you spray. Of course we all know the oils in the lotion causes the fragrance to last longer.

Also I must agree with OP............. Bonds DO LAST!!!!!! I don't see where others complain of limited longevity from some of the Bonds. All of the samples I have tried (New Haarlem, Westside, Chez Bond, Bleecker St, Eau de New York, Washington Square and Brooklyn) have all lasted well over 8 hours.

I'm definitely loving Brooklyn it lasted atleast 12+ hours(where others complain of between 3-6hrs) definitely on the buy list.

I still have 12 more Bond samples (wearing Riverside Drive today...tho it seems somewhat run-of-the-mill green/fresh scent) and will test them to see which I will purchase.
    Last edited by frostyicy; 9th May 2012 at 02:09 PM.

Opium, Jaipur , Givenchy Xeryus Rouge and Hanae Mori last many, many hours.

Heck, even the the uber inexpensive Nautica Voyage lasts over 8 hours.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    You want staying power? Try Puredistance M or any of the Tom Ford Private Blends. They are expensive, but they last a very long time and project lik Leia's message to Obi Wan Kenobi from R2-D2's face.
    Haha, this is brilliant like!

Might I suggest Coromandel and Knize Ten?

Those two last ALL Damn Day, and in the case of Coromandel, you'll still smell it in your laundry hamper after a week. No joke. You get your money's worth with those two.

Quote Originally Posted by _Enigma_ View Post
    Opium, Jaipur , Givenchy Xeryus Rouge and Hanae Mori last many, many hours.

Heck, even the the uber inexpensive Nautica Voyage lasts over 8 hours.
    I agree with you! and this is what should be with most scents, in my opinion.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar

One easy way to get more time out af a fragrance that I'm surprised I don't see mentioned on BN is simply applying a good fragrance free moisturizer to your face and neck and a fragrance free lotion to arms and other places you wear fragrance. Your skin needs moisture, that's why it produces its own oils. Showering, bathing, washing your hands all create a moisture deficit for your skin. When you spray of apply a fragrance to dry skin, the first thing it does is absorb as much of the oil out of that fragrance as it can get. Spend $10 each on a decent face moisturizer and body lotion and your $100 bottle of fragrance goes a lot further.
    I don't have a signature fragrance. My signature changes a little bit every day, why shouldn't my fragrance?
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

Default Today's weak colognes

My sentiments exactly! I'm inclined to believe this is intentional. Fed up with this crap!

There is nothing more frustrating than a good fragrance that doesn't last...
    I don't like to spray on my clothes, because I don't want THEM to accumulate the smell for days, I want ME to smell for 8 hours or so, heck!
    Anyhow, Heperd/Akahina, maybe we should regularly apply lotion on our skin in order to get it generally more moist and be able to retain the longevity of our perfumes? I hate the sensation of being "whole body lotioned", but maybe that's going to be the only solution to our dry skin?
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

This was a sad post to read and see a lot of my fellow basenote friends having the same struggle I been having since 1993.

Who made the decision that men need to have very watered down scents and women stronger scents? Why does the whole industry now march to that ideology ?

Boys like to overspray. Why not make them weaker so we have to buy more? There's not a Bath and Body Works for boys, where I can go to buy hundreds of cheap sprays, where silage and projection don't matter.
    We get 6 flavors of AXE body spray, and 4 flavors of Playboy spray at Walmart- that's it. I HAVE to buy colognes. And if every cologne was as potent as JOOP or Le Male, it would take 10 years to use them 2-sprays at a time. Why are the 're-formulated' scents always weaker? Cuz 'they' learned from their mistakes.

It's acceptable for women to go to Bath and Body works, and buy 3 six-ounce bottles of spritzers for $30 and carry them in their purse. Her girlfriends don't rip on her for buying Vanilla Musk for $9.99. Meanwhile, the boys have entire threads ripping on each other over Cool Water vs Green Irish Tweed.
    Just wait till AXE comes out with a G.I.T. or MI knock off. I'll hide it in my secret drawer, right next to my other 3 cans of La Nuit by YSL body spray (ooops I mean 3 cans of Anarchy for Him *cough*cough*)
    Top 5 (men):
    1. Body Kouros
    2. Fahrenheit Absolute
    3. Dreamer by Gianni Versace
    4. Gonesh #8 Perfumes of Spring Mist Incense (burn 1 full stick in bathroom with door shut with that evenings clothes hanging on the towel rack)
    5. L'Homme Yves Saint Laurent

double post sorry
    Top 5 (men):
    1. Body Kouros
    2. Fahrenheit Absolute
    3. Dreamer by Gianni Versace
    4. Gonesh #8 Perfumes of Spring Mist Incense (burn 1 full stick in bathroom with door shut with that evenings clothes hanging on the towel rack)
    5. L'Homme Yves Saint Laurent

I have ultra dry skin, the only fragrances which I own which seem to have supernatural longevity are Tobacco Vanille, Musc Ravaguer and Puredistance M.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I get 10-12 hours longevity from L'eau D'Issey - just spray 2 sprays directly on top of each other - and remember to spray well, 6-8 sprays and you get better longevity.

I project like crazy the first 1-2 hours, but I and my surroundings just have to live with that, because I want my frags to last 8-12 hours, sorry for that co workers
    I applied 20 hours ago and went in a swimming pool 2 hours after application... Can still smell it on me. Also got 5+ compliments

I find this particular objection to modern scents so difficult to relate to. Most fragrances, even light ones (such as Creeds), last long enough on me, at least 6 hours, but mostly 8-10 hours. Here's the kicker - my skin is really dry. I don't know how some people swallow a fragrance in 2-4 hours. My guess is that it's less about skin and more about perception of fragrance strength.

I'm in the middle. Some things, like Eau de Baux, last an eternity on me. If I use 2 sprays of EdB at 8am after a shower, my bed will end up smelling like EdB the next morning. Wow, that stuff really lasts. On the other hand, I was sampling summer scents and tried Lacoste L.12.12 White. I liked it, but 2 hours later, it was gone.

I don't want fragrances to be stronger. In fact, I prefer subtle scents... but I want them to last.

Hi all,

This is a MAJOR problem for yours truly SixCats! Years ago, I was known here at BN as "The Black Hole of Scents" due to this very problem. Since my recent return to BN, I am finding that fragrances last even a shorter time on me than when I joined BN years ago. For example, I recently spent thirty dollars (I'm a budget guy now) on a 3.4 oz bottle of the AZZARO PH which is suppose to be rather strong/long lasting. While I LOVE the fragrance, it is all but G-O-N-E, GONE from my skin in less than two hours (if that!). Damn, talk about being disappointed! I've also notice this with my bottle of Bulgari Black. I am hoping that both AZZARO and BLACK will do better in the Winter. I am (for the most part) done wearing anything but the LEAST expensive fragrances during the Summer. Ummmm, I wonder if I can convince myself that I really do like Joop! At least (from what I recall from years ago) Joop! would last on my skin.

Regards,
    SixCats!

I have the same longevity issues, and I just recently purchased Sung Homme. Talk about longevity!! That stuff last weeks on you! lol

Banned
    Blog Entries

That's a good thing though. I wouldn't need any scent to last more than 6 or 8 hours. I have no problem carrying a small atomizer with me.

But for many days, the cologne I would wear from 9 to 5 is different from what I would want to wear on a night out.

Scents like Korous "last", but I doubt I would want the same scent on me the ENTIRE day.

One thing you can actually do is experiment with someone you know well, by walking by them and asking them if they smell anything. If they are into fragrances you can get them to try and identify what you are wearing. This at least will indicate how much of this lasting is fatigue.

Sooooo true, in the 70s,80s and 90s , mens' fragrances were potent, today the are watered down and are mostly skin scents.

If you really have only 1-2 hours lasting power on skin, try finding fragrances you can wear also on cloths. If you still only get 2 hours lasting power then it might be your nose, not the frag.

Majority of the scents niche or designer I own last me a good 8 or 10 hrs except for only Philosykos and Pure Shot

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Might I suggest Coromandel and Knize Ten?

Those two last ALL Damn Day, and in the case of Coromandel, you'll still smell it in your laundry hamper after a week. No joke. You get your money's worth with those two.
    Yeah, Coromandel lasts forever on me too. Luckily, it's one I want for that to happen!