Code of Conduct

Default It's really getting to me...so many mens designer scents just don't last, even many niche scents...

I guess I miss the old "powerhouse" days. I like a scent that will last all day and longer. Some do, many don't anymore. Even some of the very expensive houses have scents that just don't last. It used to be that one could buy a fragrance and it would indeed last all day. Seems there is a trend toward fleeting scents. Woman's perfumes often last a lot longer. For example Acqua di Gioia (for women) is a fresh sugary, citrusy flowery scent that projects nicely and has notes that should be rather fleeting, yet it lasts all day and you can smell it the next morning. It is an EDP.

There are Bond haters, but most all of them last and last. IMHO there should be more houses that release men's fragrances in higher concentration. Getting tired of the new releases in the last several years that have no staying power. And yes, I do not want to limit myself to vintage powerhouse fragrances.

Maybe it's just me...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Re: It's really getting to me...so many mens designer scents just don't last, even many niche scents

Yes those Eighties power frags lasted all day. You do kind of feel cheated if a frag you have spent good money on does not last more than a few hours.

I usually spray on my chest under my shirt and I find the fragrance lasts longer as it has gotten on to my shirt than if it was sprayed on bare skin.

Default Re: It's really getting to me...so many mens designer scents just don't last, even many niche scents

Have you tried applying to your clothes? Also, do you have dry skin? I know sometimes that can kinda 'drink' up the scent rather quickly.

Fortunately I haven't had the problem of short longevity, although Spicebomb (one of my more recent purchases) leaves something to be desired. Many of my favorite fragrances (Tuscan Leather, Sables, etc) seem to last far longer than I'd care for them to. I can still smell the immortelle from Sables in my wrist from a few nights ago (and yes, I have showered!) :P

I usually spray on my chest and neck, and on my T-shirt, which helps, but for testing it is my wrist. A few days ago I tried Issey Miyake Pour Homme on my left wrist and Acqua di Gioia on my right wrist. (Different scents but to my nose they shares some sort of similarity.) Both were about the same strength to start but the Issey was gone in a few hours and I could smell the Acqua di Gioia the next morning. Acqua di Gioia is so sweet and "girly", but I love it and I may end up getting it in the end.

I have been hunting for something a bit fruity and floral with a deeper base for a long time, something designer that will not break the bank. I would even go with Aventus (have 50ml decant) but the stuff is not long lasting on me, but a beautiful hour or so and then a skin scent for a couple hours more...not worth the price.

I just with and hope that designers start to make perfumes that last for men. They can do it for women, so why not for men too?
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

You should check out Ed Hardys Love & Luck. It is fruity designer scent that has a wonderful grape like drydown and it lasts several hours on me.

Ed Hardys Love & Luck only lasted about 40 mins on me,gave it away..

I tried Love & Luck. Not for me.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

As long as I get 6 hours I'm satisfied. The notes in today's fragrances are muted and toned down to the point of not being offensive. If you feel cheated you can always break out a bottle of LeMale.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    As long as I get 6 hours I'm satisfied. The notes in today's fragrances are muted and toned down to the point of not being offensive. If you feel cheated you can always break out a bottle of LeMale.

Ewww...

I can always break out Black Aoud instead.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Ewww...

I can always break out Black Aoud instead.
    Now that's a good idea!
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

I am not sure what fragrances you have OP, but I find that most of the stuff in my wardrobe will last at-least 6 hours. Plenty enough for most.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

also, OP, we're both in Portland. Dunno about you but my allergies are going nuts right now. Lots of runny nose, stuffy nose, etc and I notice my sense of smell is diminished because of that. Just something to potentially consider..

almost nothing lasts on me except for really heavy spicy stuff and ouds. it makes me a little sad.....
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    also, OP, we're both in Portland. Dunno about you but my allergies are going nuts right now. Lots of runny nose, stuffy nose, etc and I notice my sense of smell is diminished because of that. Just something to potentially consider..
    Allergies have always been a problem, but at least I no longer live in Salem or Eugene! Not so bad yet for me, I am in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    almost nothing lasts on me except for really heavy spicy stuff and ouds. it makes me a little sad.....
    That's what I prefer, but summer is not a time for heavy scents, except Bruckner Aoud 1 and I am considering an order from Germany!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I have no problems with most Bond No.9 scents.....Longevity is fantastic.....Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier and Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf have fantastic longevity also.....There are so many that have great longevity and others that do not.....This is the main reason I like to sample.....The juice must be good and the juice must have staying power!!!
    Gary

My skin just doesn't soak up scent so I seem to get pretty good longevity with almost anything I use.

Pocket atomizers boys!

Any lighter scents I own, I have a 5ml pocket spray ready to take with me. Solves the problem for warmer months.

Winter, I wear New Haarlem, A*Men, Original Santal etc, so no need to reapply those bitches!

Double post. Damnit.

I do carry small sprayers with me and do re-apply. My point is, why can't designers release fragrances that last for men? I can spend $100 for a woman's summer scent and it will last 18 hours and many men's scents at the same price point just last a couple. I am just wishing that men's fragrances (summer especially) would have similar longevity to those released for women.

Although they are not a favorites here, Nautica Voyage and Joop! Nightflight last many times longer than Aventus does on me for example...just sayin'.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Lack of longevity and and overall strength is a peeve I have with many (but not all) of today's fragrances as well. Today was a good example. Habit Rouge Extrait, EdP and vintage EdT generously layered in the morning on skin and clothing. 2 to 2-1/2 hours and we're down to a skin scent. I have quite a few fragrances that are similar and others that I get 4-6 hours or more out of. I do have an atomizer or small bottle to refresh but I don't feel like I'm getting my moneys worth when fragrance severely fades--especially with an oriental type fragrance. With citrus fragrances or colognes my expectations for longevity are tempered, of course.

Martin

I find longevity to be quite good for most frags.

I get 10-12 hours longevity from L'eau D'Issey - just spray 2 sprays directly on top of each other - and remember to spray well, 6-8 sprays and you get better longevity.

I project like crazy the first 1-2 hours, but I and my surroundings just have to live with that, because I want my frags to last 8-12 hours, sorry for that co workers
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Most fragrances have extremely poor longevity on my skin. Maybe it is just my skin. Even Kouros and Le Male lasts for an about 2 hours.

Some pleasant exceptions - L'air de rein - Miller Harris. Caron pour un homme, L'occitane Eau des Baux, Prada Amber Pour Homme, Gris Clair - Serge Lutens (lasts the entire day!)

Yeah my skin eats up frags too

I get 3-4 hours on creeds. I love how they smell but because of this, I tend to reach for rich, sweet winter-friendly edps

Last edited by Gekisen; 9th May 2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: double post for some weird reason

I am curious: what is the technical basis behind the ability for some of the mentioned powerhouse frags that can last all day, and that more recent frags cannot? Are there some special ingredients/materials that make those frags much longer-lived and which are not used now?

While designer houses may intentionally make their scents less long-lived (for whatever marketing/commercial reason), do niche houses have that intention?

Also, I am quite curious about how many BNoters think that EdPs must necessarily be very long-lived. Yes, they should be compared to their EdT and EdC versions, but EdPs across the board are not the same. I doubt the longevity of an EdP of a natural citrus scent (if there is a point in such a fragrance) is anywhere near that of an oriental EdP, or even the EdT of an oriental!

i don't have this problem

I make up for this by spraying MOAR.

for swap/sale:

But don't you think that so much depends on our skin chemistry? I think it is a more important factor now that it was in the past. But I also think that there are many perfume manufacturers who kind of gave up on the best quality and replaced top quality with lower quality ingredients and they took the quantity path. What do you think about it?
    Speaking of myself, I'm quite picky as it comes to buying a new bottle of perfume. But what I buy is a great, lasting perfume. All my fragrances last on my skin for more than 12 hours so maybe I have a perfume liking skin. There's practically no need tor it to last longer for me as I take a shower every evening. I get from my perfume everything best they have to offer and then I say "thanks for accompanying me the whole day, see you soon."
    What just came to my mind - in the past people didn't use to take a bath daily, so maybe thats the reason perfume from the past lasted so long - to hide the odour of unwashed body? Who knows...

You want staying power? Try Puredistance M or any of the Tom Ford Private Blends. They are expensive, but they last a very long time and project lik Leia's message to Obi Wan Kenobi from R2-D2's face.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    You want staying power? Try Puredistance M or any of the Tom Ford Private Blends. They are expensive, but they last a very long time and project lik Leia's message to Obi Wan Kenobi from R2-D2's face.
    So about 5 feet?

Fragrances seem to last a long time on me and my skin is normal to dry. I can spray a fragrance on at 7:00am go to work, get off work head to the gym for 2 hours get home and still smell it after 10+ hours.

Here are some ways to make it last longer:

1. Shower before spraying on a fragrance. Your pores will be open therefore when you spray on a fragrance it will absorb into your skin and will last longer.

2. Use a non-scented lotion. Be sure to apply more to areas where you spray. Of course we all know the oils in the lotion causes the fragrance to last longer.

Also I must agree with OP............. Bonds DO LAST!!!!!! I don't see where others complain of limited longevity from some of the Bonds. All of the samples I have tried (New Haarlem, Westside, Chez Bond, Bleecker St, Eau de New York, Washington Square and Brooklyn) have all lasted well over 8 hours.

I'm definitely loving Brooklyn it lasted atleast 12+ hours(where others complain of between 3-6hrs) definitely on the buy list.

I still have 12 more Bond samples (wearing Riverside Drive today...tho it seems somewhat run-of-the-mill green/fresh scent) and will test them to see which I will purchase.
    Last edited by frostyicy; 9th May 2012 at 02:09 PM.

Opium, Jaipur , Givenchy Xeryus Rouge and Hanae Mori last many, many hours.

Heck, even the the uber inexpensive Nautica Voyage lasts over 8 hours.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Haha, this is brilliant like!
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Might I suggest Coromandel and Knize Ten?

Those two last ALL Damn Day, and in the case of Coromandel, you'll still smell it in your laundry hamper after a week. No joke. You get your money's worth with those two.

Quote Originally Posted by _Enigma_ View Post
    Opium, Jaipur , Givenchy Xeryus Rouge and Hanae Mori last many, many hours.

Heck, even the the uber inexpensive Nautica Voyage lasts over 8 hours.
    I agree with you! and this is what should be with most scents, in my opinion.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

One easy way to get more time out af a fragrance that I'm surprised I don't see mentioned on BN is simply applying a good fragrance free moisturizer to your face and neck and a fragrance free lotion to arms and other places you wear fragrance. Your skin needs moisture, that's why it produces its own oils. Showering, bathing, washing your hands all create a moisture deficit for your skin. When you spray of apply a fragrance to dry skin, the first thing it does is absorb as much of the oil out of that fragrance as it can get. Spend $10 each on a decent face moisturizer and body lotion and your $100 bottle of fragrance goes a lot further.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Default Today's weak colognes

My sentiments exactly! I'm inclined to believe this is intentional. Fed up with this crap!

There is nothing more frustrating than a good fragrance that doesn't last...
    I don't like to spray on my clothes, because I don't want THEM to accumulate the smell for days, I want ME to smell for 8 hours or so, heck!
    Anyhow, Heperd/Akahina, maybe we should regularly apply lotion on our skin in order to get it generally more moist and be able to retain the longevity of our perfumes? I hate the sensation of being "whole body lotioned", but maybe that's going to be the only solution to our dry skin?
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

This was a sad post to read and see a lot of my fellow basenote friends having the same struggle I been having since 1993.

Who made the decision that men need to have very watered down scents and women stronger scents? Why does the whole industry now march to that ideology ?

Boys like to overspray. Why not make them weaker so we have to buy more? There's not a Bath and Body Works for boys, where I can go to buy hundreds of cheap sprays, where silage and projection don't matter.
    We get 6 flavors of AXE body spray, and 4 flavors of Playboy spray at Walmart- that's it. I HAVE to buy colognes. And if every cologne was as potent as JOOP or Le Male, it would take 10 years to use them 2-sprays at a time. Why are the 're-formulated' scents always weaker? Cuz 'they' learned from their mistakes.

It's acceptable for women to go to Bath and Body works, and buy 3 six-ounce bottles of spritzers for $30 and carry them in their purse. Her girlfriends don't rip on her for buying Vanilla Musk for $9.99. Meanwhile, the boys have entire threads ripping on each other over Cool Water vs Green Irish Tweed.
    Just wait till AXE comes out with a G.I.T. or MI knock off. I'll hide it in my secret drawer, right next to my other 3 cans of La Nuit by YSL body spray (ooops I mean 3 cans of Anarchy for Him *cough*cough*)
    Top 5 (men):
    1. Body Kouros
    2. Fahrenheit Absolute
    3. Dreamer by Gianni Versace
    4. Gonesh #8 Perfumes of Spring Mist Incense (burn 1 full stick in bathroom with door shut with that evenings clothes hanging on the towel rack)
    5. L'Homme Yves Saint Laurent

double post sorry
    Top 5 (men):
    1. Body Kouros
    2. Fahrenheit Absolute
    3. Dreamer by Gianni Versace
    4. Gonesh #8 Perfumes of Spring Mist Incense (burn 1 full stick in bathroom with door shut with that evenings clothes hanging on the towel rack)
    5. L'Homme Yves Saint Laurent

I have ultra dry skin, the only fragrances which I own which seem to have supernatural longevity are Tobacco Vanille, Musc Ravaguer and Puredistance M.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I get 10-12 hours longevity from L'eau D'Issey - just spray 2 sprays directly on top of each other - and remember to spray well, 6-8 sprays and you get better longevity.

I project like crazy the first 1-2 hours, but I and my surroundings just have to live with that, because I want my frags to last 8-12 hours, sorry for that co workers
    I applied 20 hours ago and went in a swimming pool 2 hours after application... Can still smell it on me. Also got 5+ compliments

I find this particular objection to modern scents so difficult to relate to. Most fragrances, even light ones (such as Creeds), last long enough on me, at least 6 hours, but mostly 8-10 hours. Here's the kicker - my skin is really dry. I don't know how some people swallow a fragrance in 2-4 hours. My guess is that it's less about skin and more about perception of fragrance strength.

I'm in the middle. Some things, like Eau de Baux, last an eternity on me. If I use 2 sprays of EdB at 8am after a shower, my bed will end up smelling like EdB the next morning. Wow, that stuff really lasts. On the other hand, I was sampling summer scents and tried Lacoste L.12.12 White. I liked it, but 2 hours later, it was gone.

I don't want fragrances to be stronger. In fact, I prefer subtle scents... but I want them to last.

Hi all,

This is a MAJOR problem for yours truly SixCats! Years ago, I was known here at BN as "The Black Hole of Scents" due to this very problem. Since my recent return to BN, I am finding that fragrances last even a shorter time on me than when I joined BN years ago. For example, I recently spent thirty dollars (I'm a budget guy now) on a 3.4 oz bottle of the AZZARO PH which is suppose to be rather strong/long lasting. While I LOVE the fragrance, it is all but G-O-N-E, GONE from my skin in less than two hours (if that!). Damn, talk about being disappointed! I've also notice this with my bottle of Bulgari Black. I am hoping that both AZZARO and BLACK will do better in the Winter. I am (for the most part) done wearing anything but the LEAST expensive fragrances during the Summer. Ummmm, I wonder if I can convince myself that I really do like Joop! At least (from what I recall from years ago) Joop! would last on my skin.

Regards,
    SixCats!

I have the same longevity issues, and I just recently purchased Sung Homme. Talk about longevity!! That stuff last weeks on you! lol

Banned
    Blog Entries

That's a good thing though. I wouldn't need any scent to last more than 6 or 8 hours. I have no problem carrying a small atomizer with me.

But for many days, the cologne I would wear from 9 to 5 is different from what I would want to wear on a night out.

Scents like Korous "last", but I doubt I would want the same scent on me the ENTIRE day.

One thing you can actually do is experiment with someone you know well, by walking by them and asking them if they smell anything. If they are into fragrances you can get them to try and identify what you are wearing. This at least will indicate how much of this lasting is fatigue.

Sooooo true, in the 70s,80s and 90s , mens' fragrances were potent, today the are watered down and are mostly skin scents.

If you really have only 1-2 hours lasting power on skin, try finding fragrances you can wear also on cloths. If you still only get 2 hours lasting power then it might be your nose, not the frag.

Majority of the scents niche or designer I own last me a good 8 or 10 hrs except for only Philosykos and Pure Shot

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Might I suggest Coromandel and Knize Ten?

Those two last ALL Damn Day, and in the case of Coromandel, you'll still smell it in your laundry hamper after a week. No joke. You get your money's worth with those two.
    Yeah, Coromandel lasts forever on me too. Luckily, it's one I want for that to happen!