Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Millesime Imperial: Love and Luck vs. Unforgivable

Millesime Imperial, a well designed fragrance by Creed, is too expensive to fit into the budget of many of us, so people have been looking for cheaper clones of it. The two that most commonly get compared to Millesime Imperial are Ed Hardy's Love and Luck and Sean John's . Both of them brand names associated with a younger crowd than Creed.

Which one is a better clone of Millesime Imperial: Love and Luck or Unforgivable?

I know there were a few threads on this, but none of them were really conclusive or convincing to me.

So, the only way to know for sure was trying. I tried M.I. a few weeks before I tried the other two, by the way.

My conclusive answer is that Love and Luck is more similar to MI than Unforgivable, by far.

Unforgivable does have notes in it that are very similar to Millesime Imperial. I wouldn't call it clone, but I would call it a close relative. However, Sean John made a couple of fundamental changes to it. Unforgivable has a darker, heavier feel to it, though it is still a relatively fresh scent. Though I think it is somewhat of an attempt at a dark mysterious "seduction" scent. Millesime Imperial had a lightness about it.

Love and Luck much more similar to Millesime Imperial, in almost every aspect. I'm not saying it is just as good or it is exactly the same, but it comes VERY close (about 90% the same, if we assume Unforgivable is 60-70% the same). Of course the Melon note in MI is replaced with a pear note, the difference is minor and its a welcomed one. It's not only a great clone of MI, but it's a great fresh scent in an of itself.

The one downside of both Love and Luck and Unforgivable is their longevity. Both of them die down VERY early, in less than a couple of hours. For me I find that L&L is worse in longevity than Unforgivable. So, only wear this to a short event or keep reapplying it if you want it throughout the whole day. To be fair, MI has pretty weak longevity also.

My personal opinion ratings of them by the way:
    Millesime Imperial 9.5/10
    Love and Luck 8/10
    Unforgivable 6.5/10

I would wear Love and Luck as a replacement for MI without feeling like I'm settling or being shortchanged at all.

If you really love MI, but don't have the money for it. Just stop reading this post and go buy Love and Luck if you haven't already.

Anyone agree or disagree with this post?

Default Re: Millesime Imperial: Love and Luck vs. Unforgivable

Never smelt Unforgivable but I do own L&L and MI and I must say, L&L is a very good alternative to MI.

Ive heard the elusive multi plat edition of unforgivable was the closest to being mi or even better. havent tried any of them though, unforgivable is on my sample list

My personal opinion is accept no substitute for the real deal if that's what you really like. It might take you longer before you're able to get it, but it will be worth it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My personal opinion is accept no substitute for the real deal if that's what you really like. It might take you longer before you're able to get it, but it will be worth it.
    My point was that L&L is such a good substitute, it is a standalone alternative.

I do have the money for MI, however I have interests aside from fragrance collecting, so it wouldn't be worth it to defund all my other hobbies to buy one fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    My point was that L&L is such a good substitute, it is a standalone alternative.

I do have the money for MI, however I have interests aside from fragrance collecting, so it wouldn't be worth it to defund all my other hobbies to buy one fragrance.
    Gotcha!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Gotcha!
    Hmm...? What do you mean?

You were joking? Or did I contradict myself in some way?

Hmm...? What do you mean?

You were joking? Or did I contradict myself in some way?
    I meant I understood what you were trying to say after reading it again more carefully.

L&L is a good substitute for sure, but when I first smelled MI I instantly thought of Unforgivable. It's pretty obvious where Sean Jean got the "inspiration" for Unforgivable.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I own MI and L&L and find it a worthy affordable frag,

Banned

Interesting synopsis, however, I echo hednic's sentiment ↓↓↓

I have both MI and L&L and find L&L is a pretty good substitute. I've never thought that MI was huge on longevity so that has never been a consideration in my comparison of the two.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

If you can find it Unforgivable Multiplatinum smells more like MI than either of these two.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
    If you can find it Unforgivable Multiplatinum smells more like MI than either of these two.
    Yes, I've heard that Multiplatinum is the closest thing to MI, which is why I'm upset it was discontinued.

Ever since people discovered this, the price has gone up, and since you aren't saving that much anyway, might as well buy the real thing.

In the U.S., Walgreens sells a knock-off of Unforgivable. 100ml for $7.50 on sale. I spray the hell out of it cuz it's so cheap and it gets compliments. I say it's Creeds MI (which I own). I will use 10 squirts (poor longevity) of the fake stuff on my shirt/neck/chest and 1 shot of the real MI on my forehead.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMyEyesBurn View Post
    In the U.S., Walgreens sells a knock-off of Unforgivable. 100ml for $7.50 on sale. I spray the hell out of it cuz it's so cheap and it gets compliments. I say it's Creeds MI (which I own). I will use 10 squirts (poor longevity) of the fake stuff on my shirt/neck/chest and 1 shot of the real MI on my forehead.
    Forehead???
    Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains. - Karl Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Forehead???
    Haha, WTF ?? And look at his screen name!
    Last edited by Shaheen; 10th May 2012 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabz View Post
    Ive heard the elusive multi plat edition of unforgivable was the closest to being mi or even better. havent tried any of them though, unforgivable is on my sample list
    I obtained Multi Platinum last week. It's much better than regular Unforgivable, which I ended up selling a few days later.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shaheen View Post
    haha, wtf ?? And look at his screen name!
    lmao!!!

Guys I am selling SJ Unforgivable 75ml (85%-90%full) for $30 shipped Canada and CONUS.

Comes with plastic holder but no box.

I'm assuming since this is in the male fragrance section that you're comparing the male versions of L&L and UnF. How do the female versions compare? How different are the male and female versions? They might be closer since MI is more on the feminine side.
    To be fair, MI has pretty weak longevity also.
    When I first bought my MI it lasted about 48 hours on clothes. Now that it's 4 years old it only lasts about 2-3 hours. I'm thinking everyone that complains about it's longevity has an old batch. It also smelled a little better when it was "fresh".

me.

So, the only way to know for sure was trying. I tried M.I. a few weeks before I tried the other two, by the way.

My conclusive answer is that Love and Luck is more similar to MI than Unforgivable, by far.

Unforgivable does have notes in it that are very similar to Millesime Imperial. I wouldn't call it clone, but I would call it a close relative. However, Sean John made a couple of fundamental changes to it. Unforgivable has a darker, heavier feel to it, though it is still a relatively fresh scent. Though I think it is somewhat of an attempt at a dark mysterious "seduction" scent. Millesime Imperial had a lightness about it.

Love and Luck much more similar to Millesime Imperial, in almost every aspect. I'm not saying it is just as good or it is exactly the same, but it comes VERY close (about 90% the same, if we assume Unforgivable is 60-70% the same). Of course the Melon note in MI is replaced with a pear note, the difference is minor and its a welcomed one. It's not only a great clone of MI, but it's a great fresh scent in an of itself.

The one downside of both Love and Luck and Unforgivable is their longevity. Both of them die down VERY early, in less than a couple of hours. For me I find that L&L is worse in longevity than Unforgivable. So, only wear this to a short event or keep reapplying it if you want it throughout the whole day. To be fair, MI has pretty weak longevity also.

My personal opinion ratings of them by the way:
    Millesime Imperial 9.5/10
    Love and Luck 8/10
    Unforgivable 6.5/10

I would wear Love and Luck as a replacement for MI without feeling like I'm settling or being shortchanged at all.

If you really love MI, but don't have the money for it. Just stop reading this post and go buy Love and Luck if you haven't already.

Anyone agree or disagree with this post?[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

I know exactly what you mean. It is a good alternative.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 3rd December 2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: typo

Love and Luck doesn't quite have the same salty fruity citrusy zest in it's topnotes that MI does. L&L is more similar to the drydown of newer, weaker batches of MI.

Unforgivable has topnotes which are very similar to the topnotes of 2008/2009 batches of MI, but unforgivable's drydown is really really poor in comparison.

My favorite clone of MI is Unforgivable Multi-Platinum, which has a much much higher ingredient quality and concentration than regular Unforgivable. The Multi-Platinum used dozens of Givaudan's ORPUR ingredients, and has a much richer base.

Love and Luck can be called similar because it has a fresh/fruity vibe but Millesime Imperial is on another level. It just has this green crisp natural amazingness that cannot be described.

MI is the perfect summer fragrance.

good conclusive review for those looking for an answer between these three fragrances

Unforgivable multiplatinum is also worth looking into if you can get your hands on it (very good fragrance IMO)
    Current Top 10
    1) Royal Oud
    2) Aventus
    3) La Nuit De L'homme EDP
    4) L'eau D'issey
    5) Terre D'hermes
    6) Burberry London
    7) MI
    8) Le Male
    9) Pure Malt
    10) GIT

I have Multi Platinum and it did indeed smell like a 2009 tester of MI I smelled at Neiman's a couple months back. It doesn't smell much like my 2010 though.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I have Multi Platinum and it did indeed smell like a 2009 tester of MI I smelled at Neiman's a couple months back. It doesn't smell much like my 2010 though.
    2010 was apparently a bad year for creed especially in terms of MI and aventus (you could also add GIT)
    Current Top 10
    1) Royal Oud
    2) Aventus
    3) La Nuit De L'homme EDP
    4) L'eau D'issey
    5) Terre D'hermes
    6) Burberry London
    7) MI
    8) Le Male
    9) Pure Malt
    10) GIT

The Multi-Platinum comes closest.

I've never tried Multi-Platinum but I own several bottles of Love and Luck edt and the shower gel.

L&L does smell very similar to Creed's MI, but I believe that MI smells much better. Also, for a synthetic designer fragrance, L&L doesn't seem to last very long on my skin.

The best part of Love and Luck is the name and the bottle design. I'm a lover and a gambler so I think it looks pretty cool. It's probably the only Ed Hardy design I actually like.

and 1 shot of the real MI on my forehead.
    Hahahaha, this is brilliant like!
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108