Code of Conduct

Thread: Work Related.

Default Work Related.

Im a 27 year old male, and im looking for some MODERN fairly cheap scents that I can use for work. I will be useing these quite frequently so I dont want anything really expensive but I can afford to drop some cash. help me stay "fresh" and in the "now!" Thank you in advance for any feedback you provide. Just to clarify a bit, by fresh I mean something with "swag" something that will be noticed or draw attention something thats "poppin'." I maybe I should watch my slang! Lol
    Last edited by Dwayne219; 10th May 2012 at 08:32 PM.

Default Re: Work Related.

New York by Nicolai
    Egoiste (original) by Chanel
    L'Instant pour homme by Guerlain

I would be delighted to smell any of these on a co-worker!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    New York by Nicolai
    Egoiste (original) by Chanel
    L'Instant pour homme by Guerlain

I would be delighted to smell any of these on a co-worker!
    With all due respect, Kagey, do you really think these frags are the ones he's seeking? I'm thinking he is seeking ones like Corduroy, Ikon, Everlast Original 1910, Noir by Bath and Body Works, Cadillac, Friends, etc., though it depends upon what he means by fresh. He might like Grey Flannel, but he might hate that one, so that would be risky, though it's cheap. I'm not a big citrus person so perhaps someone else could suggest a quality citrus frag that lasts a while.

Burberry London

Live Jazz
    Rive Gauche

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    With all due respect, Kagey, do you really think these frags are the ones he's seeking? I'm thinking he is seeking ones like Corduroy, Ikon, Everlast Original 1910, Noir by Bath and Body Works, Cadillac, Friends, etc., though it depends upon what he means by fresh. He might like Grey Flannel, but he might hate that one, so that would be risky, though it's cheap. I'm not a big citrus person so perhaps someone else could suggest a quality citrus frag that lasts a while.
    Gee, Bigsley, I was just going by the OP's question, which asked for office-friendly, not too expensive, and "fresh." I'm also thinking he's 27 so possibly mature enough for something sophisticated as well as beautiful. I'm not sure what was wrong with my suggestions, or why yours are more appropriate, but feel free to enlighten me.

I work in an office and have to put up with a couple of guys whose perfumes are unpleasant projection bombs, and it's a fantasy of mine that any of them might ask me for a suggestion like that!

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme
    This

New York is a good fragrance but hardly satisfies the requirement to be in the "now".

Last edited by Dwayne219; 10th May 2012 at 08:32 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Live Jazz
    Rive Gauche
    these ^^^^^^^

And, try:

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - This is a considerably toned down version of the original, masterpiece Fahrenheit. No negative connotation is implied or should be taken; rather, this is a distinctive composition, somewhat bright and fresh, with ties to the original.
    Initially, one is treated to a blast of sparkling grapefruit, with its sour greenness, tempered by a hint of sweetness from the mandarin. This invigorating, citrus melange is drawn to the heart by a nascent mint. Here, in the heart, the cool spearmint comes into its own with its sweet, green facets, and commingles with violet leaf, with its intense freshness and a hint of cucumber. Basil infuses the refreshing blend with a lively dusting of its lemon-like, savory herb. A very faint undercurrent of petro/gasoline can be sensed. Transitioning to the base, a rather ordinary, woods accord presents, and interplays with a light, almost airy, Haitian vetiver as well as a subtle leather. A placid drydown ensues. This high-quality composition is bright and fresh, and should prove to be very versatile. Having average projection and longevity, this scent will, indeed, shine in the spring, summer and fall.

&

cK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein - One is initially treated to a mildly fresh accord. Clementine, with its sweet orangey and faint floral facets, lavender with its clean, herbal character, as well as cucumber, with its medicinal, sea-like aspect, all commingle in a brisk concoction. A cloud of something, perhaps aldehydes or the cryptic, energy drink accent, imparts an effervescence to the invigorating blend. Transitioning to the heart, a field day with herbs is had. Leafy, black basil, with its licorice accent, vivacious and woody black pepper as well as mildly spicy and sweet cardamom encase the opening. A nascent tobacco serves as a backdrop to the herbal jubilation. Segueing to the base, the rich and spicy tabacco has come into full bloom, while an earthy mustiness of patchouli flitters about. A pleasant ambrene wood infuses its laurel-like, sweet and spicy, woody overtures. And, a casheran musk imparts its velvety, somewhat floral bouquet. An enjoyable drydown ensues. This versatile composition is an all-season scent with average projection and average longevity, 6-8 hours. Its favorable price point makes this fragrance even more welcomed.

&

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo
    - Upon application, one is treated to an invigorating wave of hesperidic notes, with their citrus highlights of lemon, bergamot, tangerine and orange. A touch of neroli with its spicy, overripe orangey aspect also presents, while star anise imparts its sweetish, smoky licorice and slightly woody facets. This fascinating melange floats on a cloud of perfumed hedione, with its tinge of citrusy jasmine and woods, and wafts to the awaiting middle. Here, in the pleasing heart, the opening mix is subsumed by a somewhat bracing concoction of lively and woody pepper, menthol-ish clary sage and nutty coriander. A sweet rose presents as well. An oceanic fucus provides an undertone of salty, aquatic plant life. Transitioning to the waiting base, the aquatic brew is encased by creamy and delicately balsamic sandalwood as well as honeyed and slightly smoky guaiacwood. A fresh-linen musk, akin to a fabric softener dryer sheet, showers the woods, and leads to a refreshing drydown. This pleasant, masculine composition is ideal for spring and summer, and has average projection and very good longevity. Given its inexpensive price point, it's a must have.

The foregoing would make an excellent rotation during the workweek.

Bvlgari Man (i've gotten more compliments than you'd think a scent like this would garner.) - a fresh and modern honey/woods scent that is extremely versatile (one of the most versatile scents I've ever come across - would work in a suit as well as in a t-shirt, in winter and in summer, day, night, you name it). A classic composition reinterpreted through a modern lens. Also, girls love this stuff!

Also, Mauboussin Homme - fresh, lavender, cinnamon, vanilla, patchouli. Manly and modern, sexy and sweet without being a gourmand. Versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    L'Eau D'Issey;
    Clinique Happy Men;
    Bvlgari Soir.
    These are nice, fresh, and in the now.

Thanks to all who took time out of their day to respond!

I think of all of these YSL L'Homme probably best fits the description. Givenchy Play might be another choice. I don't know Bvlgari Soir or Man but Bvlgari products I have tried have all been good quality at a reasonable price. I love Live Jazz but it is not quite so "modern" in my opinion or quite so versatile.

Thanks

Basenotes Junkie

To the OP, your description of what you are looking for is basically the exact marketing campaign for Givenchy Play. Give it a try.

I'll also second the recommendation for YSL L'Homme. Just a warning that it is a very "metro" smell; a bit feminine. Some people don't like it because of this.

Another vote for Rive Gauche

Maybe you can throw this one into your rotation sung homme by alfred sung. A oldie but goodie.

Bleu de Chanel - for the all around pleaser
    YSL L'Homme/Terre D'Hermes - nice and fresh
    Body kouros/Bvlgari Black - that one that stands out and gets you noticed for good or bad

1 million well get you noticed so will joop just be easy on the trigger finger

What type of work environment do you work in?
    Play Intense has great projection and smells wonderful, draws attention as well. It's semi-safe, but also a little different.
    La Nuit if it's not too hot in your workplace
    Pure Malt, that'll grab some attention...a lot of it.

Dior Homme Sport, Guerlain Vetiver.

This. Also Burbury Touch. Hugo Boss would also work.

[QUOTE=SculptureOfSoul;2557238]Bvlgari Man (i've gotten more compliments than you'd think a scent like this would garner.) - a fresh and modern honey/woods scent that is extremely versatile (one of the most versatile scents I've ever come across - would work in a suit as well as in a t-shirt, in winter and in summer, day, night, you name it). A classic composition reinterpreted through a modern lens. Also, girls love this stuff!

Also, Bulgari Pour Homme and Bulgari Black

Thanks to all who responded

What did you wind up going with?

I think im going to go with dior homme intense, chanel allure homme sport, YSL l'omme and YSL La nuit....opinions are welcome. I know some of those may not be work appropriate but I wanted some versitility for outside of work use as well

He is 27 years old, wants something fresh that will get him noticed, work safe, and cheap?

Curve. 75ml for $10 on clearance at TJ Maxx. Can't get cheaper than that, and it is a very underrated scent.
    Vintage Kouros rocks

I would make sure you get your nose on Allure Homme Sport Extreme, the original sport is so lackluster to me.

Also try Platinum Egoiste as a possible replacement for the "sports" all together.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Banned
    Blog Entries

l'homme ysl

Basenotes Plus

Prada Amber Intense.

1. Calvin Klein Eternity
    2. Grabbazi by Gendarme
    3. Ralph Lauren Polo explorer
    4. Versace Pour Homme

L'Homme and La Nuit from your narrowed list.

Zirh Ikon
    my blog : bonnygonggrijp.blogspot.com

Lalique Pour Homme

Blog Entries

Chanel Allure Homme Sport.

I saw that someone suggested Bleu de Chanel, which could totally work. But you're 27 and I picture Allure Homme Sport would work better on you.

I really wish they'd come out with a better bottle design, though.