Code of Conduct

Default Tell me your story. (happy 100th post to me)

I like this place a lot, but I feel like I have no sense of who anyone is. What were your first few fragrances? What got you to move past just *wearing* cologne to feeling like it was a full-on hobby in and of itself? How long have you been into fragrances? What was the first scent that really grabbed you and made you say "whoa" in either a positive or negative sense? Do you collect? Do you hoard? Do you seek to *catch 'em all* or do you really want to have a solid collection of scents you wear regularly?

I'll edit this when I get off work and back to a real computer to tell about myself.

Dependent

Default Re: Tell me your story. (happy 100th post to me)

A lot of us have intro posts in Just Starting Out that you can search for. But my synopsis is, I made my own all natural fragrances starting five years ago (before that I wore no fragrance) and decided to find commercial frags I liked starting about a year ago.

I'm fairly new to the fragrance world, but it's my new hobby. It all started on December 25th, this past Christmas. Now I'm a guy that before last year, only knew what acqua di gio smelt like. I never really wore cologne, but that changed when my girlfriend bought me a cologne sample kit for christmas. Ever since then I've been bling buying bottles every week based on reviews. I don't really have many cold weather fragrances yet bc it started getting warm when I really started getting into it . I'm anxious to start buying my woodsy and gourmand scents. I also buy niche samples each week. Aventus was the first niche I smelt and it was amazing, I'm gunna buy a bottle of it. I'm planning on having well over 1000 bottles in 5 years from now, and samples of every talked-about niche. This is probably the funnest hobby I could imagine. My girlfriend says I'm crazy and she says I don't need all that but she doesn't understand. I say, you're the one that got me started with this! And it's not gunna stop!haha

She also said she was gunna create a basenotes account and post how were all losers lol, but she's just messing around

Blog Entries

My story ? I love perfume, wear them and am drawn to talk about them. On various discussion boards. But, when I mention one Forum on another Forum platform, I get "crucified" and thrown out because I stepped out of the herd.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I've been collecting for about 4 years now. I've always liked to smell good, but didn't really spend much time selecting fragrances. I wore all the usual suspects from time to time like Hugo Boss, cool water, curve and various assorted other junk throughout the years. I hadn't bought cologne for years and then I blind bought Burberry Brit. That was the frag that turned me on. Since then I've collected a pretty eclectic assortment (about 35 bottles) and I swear I'm still looking for my signature scent. I like to mix it up quite a bit and have trouble sticking with anything for very long. I'm addicted but I've learned to control it.

I´ve loved scents since I can remember...But it wasn´t until I read John Oakes´ book "The Book of Perfumes" that I got totally sold to the world of perfumes.I don´t hoard, as they tend to change their aroma as time passes by, regardless of the cold and dark of their cabinet.I love to sample and discover and then buy those which I feel that smell of "me".At any given time, I have about 8-10 in wear and maybe 10 samples waiting for a decision.Some of them I buy again every few years, others are just a one bottle affair.I agree with John Oakes´ opinion that we should have at least one of each main family of perfumes plus an absolute favourite and also think that cheap clothes can still look elegant, but a cheap smell cannot be disguised !

Maybe I'll have a story in a couple of years but for now I'm happy finding new scents which I enjoy.

When I was a youngster I "borrowed" some Canoe by Dana from my older brother that truly got myself into experimenting. I bought a 2.5ml of Creed's MI online and that wowed me enough to span out. So here I am..

Basenotes Junkie

I wanted to buy a new bottle of cologne after I got tired of the stuff I had been using for 5 years. Being a geek who likes to research everything, I decided to do a little reading first. A month later I was on basenotes with a growing drawer full of samples and small decants. Now I have around 20 full bottles and I think I should slow down a bit. Still new at this, but very interested. It's a lot of fun smelling everything.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    I wanted to buy a new bottle of cologne after I got tired of the stuff I had been using for 5 years. Being a geek who likes to research everything, I decided to do a little reading first. A month later I was on basenotes with a growing drawer full of samples and small decants. Now I have around 20 full bottles and I think I should slow down a bit. Still new at this, but very interested. It's a lot of fun smelling everything.
    Yep, you got the bug!!!

Short story: I started collecting many years ago when I lived in France. It started as a simple hobby and now through almost four decades and 1,335 bottles later has become one of my most gratifying and harmless obsessions.

Dependent

started with curve in middle school. i could care less all i wanted to do was impress the girls . then in late high school i was researching scents that turn a girl on an some top fragrances. i bought aqua di gio lol i wanted to buy blind Aqua di parma silcia cuz the alomond scent read in articles that women love the scent of alomonds ( i know lol kind of sad but i was never good with women) but it was out my budget. i never cared much about aqua di gio but i got complements little by little i began realizing it wasnt how you smelled just smile be confident and present yourself well.... a few years go by i turn 21 still wearing aqua di gio......... bored an tired i decided to go see what aqua di parma was about tried it sampled it loved it i wanted more! i wanted to explore bought new harlem then le nuit then chanel allure edition blache!! it became an addiction!!! i worked just to make sure my rent was paid rest went to fragrances! sampling and sampling then buying an buying!!! i love fragrances!!! i play alot of poker if i lose no fragrances till i have that money back if i win it goes to fragrances it keeps me motivated to never lose. ive calmed down since then its only been bout 4-5 months since i got deeply into fragrances........... since owning aqua di parma silicia its become my favorite out of all ive smelled when i smell it it brings me back to child hood memories times just spent outside eating ice cream with the family all smiling enjoy the day....... so far all the women ive come across hate it

- - - Updated - - -

im truly happy i found this site happy im not the only one that enjoys fragrances like crazy most my friends dont understand but this makes me happy collecting and smelling will be a passion of mine till i die

I've been off the board for awhile, and this is a lovely reminder of why (even though I'm not here much right now) I remain a dedicated BN-er. I wore Opium from the age of 15 to (about) the age of 35. Lovely signature fragrance, my Mom always knew what to buy me for my birthday, and the hit-you-over-the-head delicious orientalness suited me. At 35, I began allergy shots for adult-onset allergies, and 6 months or so later, I was on the "T" (Boston version of the Tube/Metro/subway) and suddenly realized someone down the car was eating popcorn, and *I could smell* for the first time in several years. Pretty much went straight to Colonial Drug in Cambridge, MA and bought signature scent #2, Scherrer2 (another gorgeous, hit-you-over-the-head floral oriental). Wanted more. Wandered the net to Basenotes, where I found a DELIGHTFUL and knowlegeable community, from which I have learned much, felt supported, and generally been encouraged to explore. Discovered incense, spice, chypre and fouguere (my other four favorites), solifolores, more. You are in the right place.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

I started caring a little more about my appearance lately. Fragrances were a nice addition.

Either since I was gifted my first designer fragrance when I was 14 or, the latest, when I was about 15-16 and started buying fragrances on a more or less regular basis, a habit which only steadily increased, never to decrease again, during later highscool, unisversity and early professional life.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    A lot of us have intro posts in Just Starting Out that you can search for. But my synopsis is, I made my own all natural fragrances starting five years ago (before that I wore no fragrance) and decided to find commercial frags I liked starting about a year ago.
    I started out the same way, except that I concluded after only about 2 months that the perfumes I was making were total crap, so I decided to leave it to the pros.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    Hey, that's pretty much like my story too! I started off researching diamonds in 2007 because I wanted to propose to my then girlfriend. Soon I became interested in men's style, grooming and cologne. That was how I stumbled onto Basenotes in 2009. The rest as they like to say is 'history'. Welcome aboard!