Code of Conduct

Red face Do fragrances, as in edt's and edp's, make good room fragrance's ?

Hey everyone,

I know this may seem like a silly question, but I am debating whether or not to use an edt/edp spray to scent rooms/house....etc.

I rarely use candles. I find alot of them to not work well, are expensive ( relatively speaking), or at least need to be payed attention to ( fire hazzard ?).

I also thought it could be a nice way to enjoy a scent that I would otherwise not enjoy on my skin ( for a variety of reasons).

Basically, I would like to know if you feel that spraying a perfume is effective to scent a room ? Or, does it just diffuse into the rest of the house and out the window and leave little trace of a scent in the room ? I could try spraying on fabric....such as curtains....but would this just make the scent stick close to the fabric and not scent the room ?

Look forward to reading some responses. Thanks in advance
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Default Re: Do fragrances, as in edt's and edp's, make good room fragrance's ?

You can of course, but I'm not sure you'd get the desired result you want. Personally could never see myself doing this. My fragrances are far too special to use them anywhere except on my skin. You might want to experiment with a scent that you are not particularly fond of and see what results you get.

If a perfume smells good, why not?

Spraying in the air wouldn't leave much (luckily, or our houses would smell like crazy). I would not recommend spraying on fixtures like curtains or the like, because perfumes are very persistent on fabric or leather - so it'd be there for days and you wouldn't be able to change it. A piece of cloth or leather seems the best solution. The closer it is to a heat source, the more it will project. If you put it on a radiator, it will be loud and fill the room.

Some perfume houses have also developed various means other than candles for room perfumes: Diptyque has wax tablets, Frederic Malle has (obscenely expensive) pieces of rubber, Parfums de Nicolai has terracotta rings where you can pour perfumed oils.

Incidentally, I use perfumed shower oils when I shower at the gym, using a mesh sponge. At home, I hang it to dry - unintentionally, the result is that the room smells wonderfully of whatever perfume I've been using to shower.

cacio

Thank you Hednic and Cacio for those nice replies. Much appreciated

I love most of my fragrances. I dislike many as well Still, it would be a fragrance I like the smell of, but not enjoy on my skin, to use as a house/room scenter.

Cacio, I am still not convinced it may be a good idea then. I have sprayed on curtains and yes, the smell is persistent, but not in a bad way. Eventually it just quiets down to a whisper.

The heat thing makes sense. I am not sure what a radiator is, but I will look it up. I guess just spraying into the air will be a poor idea or at least, an ineffective method ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I do it all the time. Keiko Mecheri A Fleur de Peau is better as a room spray than anything else, IMO. Spraying in front of a fan can disperse the scent but spraying toward the ceiling in the middle of the room disperses the scent well too. Using sprays doesn't give anywhere near the longevity of candles but sometimes you don't plan to be in that space for hours anyway, or don't mind spraying again later.

I wear room sprays too. I prefer Costes Signature room spray to Costes EDT.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 15th May 2012 at 04:45 PM.

^ Thanks for adding to the thread, Socal I was thinking about candles of course, but I never find them that nice. At the same time, I buy these candles from the mall stores, so perhaps if I invested in something more high end, the result will be better.

Since you brought up Costes edt, I never cared for this one on my skin. I have a large decant and fail to see the beauty in it. From the reviews, I thought this would be a really nice rose scent. Eh.....I don't really care for it.

How long do the perfumes remain in the room to scent it ? Is it gone in a day ? In a matter of a few hours. Or does 10 sprays scent a room for a few days ?

I also wonder about spraying on lamps ( fire harard ?) and heating vents ?

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Perfume evaporates fast on hot surfaces, so on lamps or vents it would be gone quickly (though you'd get a really diffusion for as long as it lasts). Plus it difficult (and dangerous) to spray on a lamp shade without touching the glass.

cacio

I've used fragrance as a room spray. Longevity seems to come down to the particulars of the room (drafty rooms will clear out the scent quickly), the particulars of the fragrance, and how finely the fragrance is atomized. It really needs a very fine mist to remain airborne and disperse. If you are dealing with something potent and tenacious, like Mugler's Amen, you may have the space scented for hours. If you are using something more retiring, it may only last minutes. But there is no reason this won't work in theory. However, if the objective is to keep a constant "atmosphere" of scent in the room, sprays are not the way to go. Sprays are generally good for a sudden burst, say minutes before the guests arrive, rather than a constant overall ambiance.

I find that, for constant scent dispersion day and night, nothing beats a room full of identically and heavily scented candles. Even cold, the right candle will give off noticeable scent for the first month or so. One candle probably won't do it. I once had the pleasure of staying in the loft of a famous film director. His wife had a half dozen of the same candle (Archipelago Demeter pillar candles -- no longer available) in the space, and even though the place was as big as a good sized Banana Republic clothing store, you could still smell the candles as soon as you entered, even when they weren't burning. So you'll need 4 or 5, and if you have a taste for finer candles like Diptyque, that has the potential to get very expensive.

Another thing to try would be a catalytic fragrance lamp, the most famous brand of which is "Lampe Berger". You can actually decant a personal fragrance, blend it 1 part fragrance to 9 parts 91% isopropyl alcohol, and use it as catalytic lamp fuel to scent the room. By this formula, 2ml of fragrance will give you about an hour of constant scent dispersion. I've done this before with mixed results. The heat of the lamp has the potential to change the delicate balance of a fragrance. I've had it work fine with some, and I've had it emerge almost unrecognizable in others. Fragrances with a deeper, sweeter register seem to do better than the high pitched citruses and bright or soapy musks. On the plus side, a catalytic fragrance lamp does a great job of scenting a room quickly, far better than a single candle, and the scent generally lingers for a while even after the lamp has run out of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Perfume evaporates fast on hot surfaces, so on lamps or vents it would be gone quickly (though you'd get a really diffusion for as long as it lasts). Plus it difficult (and dangerous) to spray on a lamp shade without touching the glass.

cacio
    Thanks so much agin. Good points and I can how the scents would be gone quickly. And now that I remember and think about it now, from the times in the past where I have scented the air around me with a bottle of fragrance, the scent really did not linger more than a few hours. I thought this was because of olfactory fatigue. Also, glad you reminded me not to get perfume on the glass/bulb. The last thing I want to do is start a fire.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by LA2000 View Post
    I've used fragrance as a room spray. Longevity seems to come down to the particulars of the room (drafty rooms will clear out the scent quickly), the particulars of the fragrance, and how finely the fragrance is atomized. It really needs a very fine mist to remain airborne and disperse. If you are dealing with something potent and tenacious, like Mugler's Amen, you may have the space scented for hours. If you are using something more retiring, it may only last minutes. But there is no reason this won't work in theory. However, if the objective is to keep a constant "atmosphere" of scent in the room, sprays are not the way to go. Sprays are generally good for a sudden burst, say minutes before the guests arrive, rather than a constant overall ambiance.

I find that, for constant scent dispersion day and night, nothing beats a room full of identically and heavily scented candles. Even cold, the right candle will give off noticeable scent for the first month or so. One candle probably won't do it. I once had the pleasure of staying in the loft of a famous film director. His wife had a half dozen of the same candle (Archipelago Demeter pillar candles -- no longer available) in the space, and even though the place was as big as a good sized Banana Republic clothing store, you could still smell the candles as soon as you entered, even when they weren't burning. So you'll need 4 or 5, and if you have a taste for finer candles like Diptyque, that has the potential to get very expensive.

Another thing to try would be a catalytic fragrance lamp, the most famous brand of which is "Lampe Berger". You can actually decant a personal fragrance, blend it 1 part fragrance to 9 parts 91% isopropyl alcohol, and use it as catalytic lamp fuel to scent the room. By this formula, 2ml of fragrance will give you about an hour of constant scent dispersion. I've done this before with mixed results. The heat of the lamp has the potential to change the delicate balance of a fragrance. I've had it work fine with some, and I've had it emerge almost unrecognizable in others. Fragrances with a deeper, sweeter register seem to do better than the high pitched citruses and bright or soapy musks. On the plus side, a catalytic fragrance lamp does a great job of scenting a room quickly, far better than a single candle, and the scent generally lingers for a while even after the lamp has run out of fuel.
    Thanks to you as well ! Really appreciate this post and the time you took to write it .

I did read....I think it was MikePerez here...that Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche candle, unscented, can really do an adequette job at scenting a room. I have not found the Ambre Fetiche candles yet. I like the fragrance, which is a nice rich and interesting amber ( spices, lime, a bit of leather...etc).

I see candles in stores. One that I noted was Calvin Klein candles, which go for like $17.00 or so for a large candle. I just have never used them or heard how well they work. Essentially, I want to buy candles that work well. So perhaps going the Diptyque route or something along those lines is a good idea. Of course, there are less expensive alternatives as well, such as Yankee candles ( I have used these ages ago....I think I liked them....Can't really remember how well they worked).

I have heard of Lampe Berger of course as well. Yes, have been mildly considering this, but now that you bring it up....hmmm....I am more curious. I can see why a citrus and musk wouldn't do so well if changed ( diluted or changed up with another solution). Sweeter scents tend to be more.....resistant or "tougher" in a way ( but not necessarily because of better quality materials). Vanillas, amber, tonka bean....these all seem tenacious.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

TDC Bergamote is one I keep at the studio and it's a great one to use if clients or guests are dropping by in summer - the drooping air molecules will thank you for it. In winter I use candles or occasionally Japanese 'mossy' incense.

Cheap oil burners, light bulb rings and reed oil diffusers make wonders if used with proper perfumes.

I think fragrances are wasted if they are used to scent rooms.

You can dab/spray a little perfume or perfumed oil onto a COLD lightbulb and let it dry completely before putting it into the lamp though it'll be gone quickly because of the heat. I've used oil burners [available at the dollar store, walmart,target,etc.] with a tea light to burn inexpensive oils, I'm sure the same could be used with perfumes.
    "I guess it's like most dreams, people work hard for them, they take time, When you arrive you aren't sure if it's what you expected. Hopefully it's better, but I guess that is why people dream and choose to chase them" ~anonymous.

"You’re buying stars to shut out the light. We come alone and alone we die And no matter how hard you try I’ll always belong in the sky" ~ Marina and The Diamonds

I have sprayed edts and edps in the air conditioning intake filter to scent my house and it works ok. Basically the air is sucked past the fragrance and pushed throught the whole house via the AC ducts. I don't go around spraying my house with cologne although some do.

Check out the thread from today entitled "Thats it... im burning all of my fragrances!" It's interesting and on this same line.