Code of Conduct

Thread: YSL Libre

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default YSL Libre

I think Saint Laurent is a great house, but they really dropped the ball on this one.

Default Re: YSL Libre

I think it's quite good for what it is. I'm not a big fan of cool, green, leafy scents like this, but that's me. I don't think YSL dropped the ball.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

It's such a boring fragrance. That's all. Can't imagine it leaving a lasting impression on anyone.

Blog Entries

I think it was a risky launch, but that seems like it's the theme of the fragrance, anyway. I do enjoy cool / leafy / green scents, plus I like the whole L'Homme franchise, so it was a buy for me. It did take me a while to like it.

To carry the sport analogy further, I think they intentionally flanker-fumbled for a small gain of yardage, to get in range for a bigger play. Translation: They really seem to be shotgunning the market with L'Homme flankers. Makes me wonder if they're playing out all the L'Homme stuff before the next big masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    I think it's quite good for what it is.
    I share your feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I think Saint Laurent is a great house
    Could you point me in the right direction, because I've found the three of their frags that I know (PH, BK & La nuit dlh) mediocre at best. What should I be trying?

Dependent

I think it isnt too bad a fragrance but I wouldnt get a full bottle since I cant imagine myself wearing it often
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Libre reminds me a bit or Riverside Drive. They both share a couple of notes that stand out to me. It's not bad, but I prefer RD.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    Could you point me in the right direction, because I've found the three of their frags that I know (PH, BK & La nuit dlh) mediocre at best. What should I be trying?
    Looks to me like you're missing three in the family:

-Eau d'Ete
    -Cologne Gingembre
    -La Nuit Frozen Cologne

I have all of them, and I am most partial to Gingembre. I know La Nuit Frozen is available in Europe right now; not sure when it'll be available stateside.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    Libre reminds me a bit or Riverside Drive. They both share a couple of notes that stand out to me. It's not bad, but I prefer RD.
    Yeah, there are a lot of similarities between the two. I think it's the basil note that really makes me associate the two. I also prefer RD.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    You might look at the other end of the spectrum. Kouros, Opium PH or better still the women's Opium and the innumerable flankers (same for the men's, I guess), La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum (I think it's the best of the L'Homme line), Rive Gauche PH, Jazz and Live Jazz all get kudos around here.

I really like Libre. It reminds me a bit of my all-time favorite designer, Fahrenheit. If you are looking for something like Fahrenheit but more versatile, check out Libre.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I really like Libre. It reminds me a bit of my all-time favorite designer, Fahrenheit. If you are looking for something like Fahrenheit but more versatile, check out Libre.
    Fahrenheit is my all-time favorite fragrance as well.

However, when I tested Libre I didn't think of Fahrenheit at all.

Also, just because a fragrance is similar to another fragrance you REALLY like, doesn't mean it is good.

I love Cool Water. Ungaro 3 smells like Cool Water. And I hate it.

I think Saint Laurent is a great house, but they really dropped the ball on this one.
    I disagree.

Despite being fairly heavy on the iso e, I really like it. Someone should cue up the twilight zone music, because it's not everday (ahem, never) that I really like a frag by "the lesser Polge." (sorry Olivier!)

Fahrenheit is my all-time favorite fragrance as well.

However, when I tested Libre I didn't think of Fahrenheit at all.
    Well, I definitely do. Lol. As does the SA at my local Dillard's, who has many years in the industry and a very good nose. And I have noticed others making the same comparison here at Basenotes. Read any L'Homme Libre thread and you will notice others comparing it to Fahrenheit.

See for example this thread, where at least two Basenoters (coney718 and subhuman85) compare it to Fahrenheit:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/285...-l-homme-Libre

So, it ain't just me

Consider as well the notes they share in common. Both L'Homme Libre and Fahrenheit feature bergamot and nutmeg in the top notes, violet leaf in the middle, and leather, patchouli, and vetiver in the base.

So, I think a pretty good case can be made for L'Homme Libre as being a sort of lighter, fresher Fahrenheit.

Also, just because a fragrance is similar to another fragrance you REALLY like, doesn't mean it is good.
    Of course what is "good" when it comes to fragrance is an entirely subjective matter. To me, Libre is "good" for what it is -- a mainstream, mass-appeal designer scent. Certainly not the masterpiece Fahrenheit is, but I do detect strands of Fahrenheit DNA in its structure and in my opinion it is done well.

I love Cool Water. Ungaro 3 smells like Cool Water. And I hate it.
    Interesting. Ungaro III smells nothing like Cool Water to me. To my nose, the rose really dominates Ungaro III, while Cool Water of course does not feature rose. Yes they do share other notes, but the rose is too decisive a factor for me to compare them in any meaningful way.

Just goes to show you how subjective the sense of scent can be.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

There is a very vegetable note in Libre which Paul Smith shares it gives Libre a very green herbal feeling. I have to say of all the L'Homme line this is the most interesting for me.

Blog Entries

I think the relationship of Libre to Fahrenheit is a great example of cross-cutting - how a rather complex thing (in this case, that violet-leaf accord) can show up more or less intact in two very different places. Kinda like wings in dragonflies and birds. Clearly, Libre is not a woody leather like Fahrenheit, and Fahrenheit isn't an herbal sweet-n-sporty like Libre. And I sure didn't see that connection before it was mentioned. But once CtD pointed out the violet leaf similarity, the mapping seemed much more obvious.

I also think it's strange how I almost couldn't smell Libre at first, but now I find it to be one of the most persistent frags in my collection. Fascinating stuff.

I do like the very green, herbal feel. When I'm in the mood for it, it's totally satisfying, and at a price point which is remarkable, relative to the niche I otherwise go to for a similar vibe.