Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Reflection Man vs. Viktor & Rolf Antidote

I'm sniffing my wrist with my sample of RM, and it just strikes me that it smells like a peppery version of Antidote (which I only sampled once from spraying it at a duty free). I like RM a lot, but could Antidote be a cheaper buy of a similar kind?
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Default Re: Amouage Reflection Man vs. Viktor & Rolf Antidote

I don't get the similarity personally. Love RM, don't like Antidote!

Sound Scents

I don't find them similar personally. I prefer Reflection of the two.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Banned

Wheter it is or is not, Antidote by Viktor & Rolf is a very versatile and fine fragrance, and does not carry the exorbitant price of Reflection Man by Amouage.

Perhaps, my following review will jar your memory of that duty-free shop sampling:

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf - One is immediately treated to a fresh and cooling, citrus opening, furnished by the zesty grapefruit, nectarous mandarin and tart bergamot, with a twist of sharp mint. Tumbling to the flush middle, the sweet florals of fruity freesia, green geranium, earthy violet, light lavender and citrusy orange bloosom are nicely encased by the warm and pleasant spices of nutmeg and cinnamon. This lovely, strong heart meanders to the robust base. Here, a pastiche of evocative leather, lively incense, creamy amber, sweet vanilla, murky vetiver, resinous labdanum, clean treemoss, smoky guaiacwood, carroty iris, dry white cedar, bright sandalwood, powdery tonka beans, herbaceous patchouli and soapy white musk bombard you with scents you have experienced a thousand times before. Remarkably, this motley assault leads to an entertaining and intriguing drydown. This high-quality enterprise is very versatile in light of its kaleidoscopic heads, and can be worn any time and any season. A one-stop wonder, this amalgamated composition has excellent longevity and good projection.

Yeah, I do remember it as quite a note bomb, especially the combination of minty-gummy-ultrafloral.

I have and used both. Nothing similar to me. at all.

Amouage RM, IMO.

They smell quite different to me.

There are similarities thanks to the fact that both share a similar floral accord (iris/orange blossom/jasmine), but I prefer Antidote these days. It's more interesting to me, and smells less like bubblegum and/or truck stop hand soaps.

I've worn both, and Amouage Reflection Man has several high-quality ingredients that really shine, putting Antidote to shame. Antidote is synonymous with many other fragrances at the Men's Fragrance counter at Macy's, where Reflection Man is one that people notice - from start to finish, it's different, and just isn't something you could find among the department store selections.

Reflection Man smells like bubblegum and/or truck stop hand soaps? Wow! Maybe they've really reformulated it but never would I have confused them.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It's more interesting to me, and smells less like bubblegum and/or truck stop hand soaps.

I'll second that, Anthony. Definitely no bubblegum or hand soap smell in mine lol. Can't believe SOS has done such a U-turn on Reflection Man.

I know!! SOS - I proudly wore Reflection Man after your glowing reviews of it, only a few years ago!

It seems that lots of people have done a 180º turn for the better or for the worst with RM, you can see it if you read the threads about it in the last year or so. It certainly is a funny phenomenon.
    SoS, I can see the bubblegum vibe you mean. And the common note I find in both must be the very sweet orange blossom indeed. I also did a wrist to wrist comparison of RM and APOM last night, and APOM was much more acidic compared to RM.

Me too, Anthony. SOS with his legendary reviews got me into trying Amouage in the first place, no regrets there though whatsoever

I think it's the ylang ylang/orange blossom combo. I definitely get a lot of ylang in Reflection Man, and while I like the smell of ylang alone, I find it very rare that a composition uses it to my liking (I'm just picky there, though).

And as for my 180 on Reflection - well, it's actually more like a 90 degree turn - I don't hate it. I just don't perceive it like I used to. At first I LOVED it more than anything I had ever smelled. Seriously, the first time I smelled Reflection was the most blown away I've ever been by a scent. Then about a year-ish later I went through a bad bout of chemical sensitivities and RM was the WORST smelling thing I had ever smelled. Forget corn tortillas, it was like concentrated pepper + horrible BO + sand paper.

Luckily the sensitivities have abated, but unfortunately my original love for RM has never returned. I just find it kind of 'meh' now. There are parts of it I like, and every now and again I wear it and find a few parts I love, but there are too many phases of the evolution that I find to be merely ok, and that doesn't cut it at that price.

I haven't worn it in a while though. I'm going to have to revisit it soon. If it doesn't pass that test, on the chopping block it goes.

Have both and love both. Don't get any similarities. RM the better fragrance between the two

There is no resembles between this two....

Reflection by far !
    Last edited by Igorbg; 13th May 2012 at 02:48 PM.

I like Antidote much more.

Amouage Reflexion!

Reflection is one of the better Amouages IMO... to me it seems like a high end Le Male/Fleur de Male combo. It's not at all "natural" but it comes off a lot less harsh and synthetic-smelling vs. Le Male.