Code of Conduct

Question Which lavender fragrance do you recommend?

Hello to all of you! I am a new here.

I would like to ask you something. Which lavender fragrance would you recommend to me? I am 29 years old and I would like a youthful fragrance for daily use and not a mature one. Do you have something in mind? I have read many topics here and I read a lot of times about Caron Pour un Homme, but I don't know... An eau de toilette from 1930's, it seems a little old for me. I may be wrong though. That's why I am asking for some help here from the experts.

I love the lavender scent! It reminds me of Provence, France where I spent some marvelous days some years before.

Thank you very much.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Which lavender fragrance do you recommend?

le male. Thought im not sure about the recent reformulation talk

thanks for the answer! I will try it.

You should try the Caron just to see. To me it is a simple lavender and vanilla. Nothing really old fashion about it. If you like lavender it is worth a try.

Basenotes Member

L'Occitane's house fragrance called, simply, "L'Occitane" is a very nice lavender: neither mature nor frivolous, it may suit you well. Also, it's not super expensive.

My favourite lavender scents which have good lasting power and don't smell like raw lavender are Lanvin L'Homme and Azzaro Pure Lavender. Both should be pretty cheap on-line. To me, Azzaro Pure Lavender is the modern update to Caron PH.

If you want very raw lavender scents, which don't last as long as those above, my favourite is the hugely expensive Aqua di Parma Lavanda Tonica, and I also like the hugely inexpensive Woods of Windsor Lavender. The latter is listed as a women's scent, but I can't see anything feminine or masculine about it.
    Regards,
    Renato

I'm not fond of this note and mixing it with vanilla (a la Caron PH, Kilian Taste of Heaven) is very off-putting to me. I do like Jo Malone Amber and Lavender, and Serge Lutens Gris Clair is worth a shot too but a little lavender heavy for me.

Welcome to Basenotes!!

Lavande by Fragonard

Carven Homme isn't totally lavender, but it is certainly there, and is overall just a nice smooth scent similar to Gucci Envy. Modern enough and not 'old man' in any way.

Definitely recommend Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge (lavender cologne). For it's genre, it is among the best out there, IMHO.

Lavender Palm is a straightforward lavender and musk scent.

For something more complex and exotic, try Encens et Lavande.

for swap/sale:

Creed Royal Scottish Lavender
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Like hepherd and others, I do think too that you should indeed get Caron pour un homme. Whatever one thinks about "mature" frags, the Caron does not have any of the stereotypical traits of such a genre. It is, instead, a clean, serene lavender over a touch of vanilla. Surprisingly in line with modern masculine, that tend to be much sweeter than this. Impact, a brother frag by Caron, is essentially Caron pour un homme with more lavender and less vanilla, so you can look into that as well if you prefer less vanilla.

cacio

Crabtree & Evelyn Lavender is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    Definitely recommend Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge (lavender cologne). For it's genre, it is among the best out there, IMHO.
    +1 this.

Caldey Island Lavender is beautiful too.

For the most longevity, Caron Pour Un Homme and Gris Clair for me.

Creed Royal Scottish Lavender

Pour Un Homme isn't dated in the slightest. It's just overtly wonderful.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Banned

Try:

Lavender Palm by Tom Ford - Upon application, one is treated to a whirlwind of lavender. A wonderfully floral and slightly spicy lavender, with an attendant, camphor aspect, wafts in the forefront of a citric, herbal background, furnished by the commingling of tangy lemon, bittersweet bergamot as well as a green, creamy and slightly salty clary sage. Transitioning to the heart, the lavender takes on a more subdued and fresh, floral sweetness, and interplays with the sweet, baby powder of nerium oleander as well as the airy, aromatic sweetness of lime blossom. A grassy and balmy undertone from a palm leaf accord carries the florals to the awaiting base. A rich oakmoss imparts its foresty greenness, while a somewhat salty vetiver infuses its grassy earthiness. A sprinkling of citrusy frankincense complements the green blend. A pleasing drydown ensues. This elegant and high-quality composition leans to the masculine side, and has average projection and longevity. And, although it is can be considered an all-season fragrance, this scent will shine in warmer weather.

&

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    - Upon application, one is treated to a wave of fresh, clean lavender, with its somewhat camphoraceous and minty facets. This lovely herbal essence floats cloud-like to the waiting heart. Here, in the middle, standoffish iris commingles with the refreshing lavender, imparting its icy coolness. Whiffs of a campfire smokiness intrude to temper the cool melange with its dryness. This inviting mixture meanders to the awaiting base. The coldish brew intermingles with dry, woody notes as well as a restrained amber, with its hints of a musky and vanillic sweetness. An unworldly and ethereal incense showers the blend with its enticing and cryptic character. An alluring drydown ensues. This exhilarating composition is an all-season refuge, and has good projection and longevity.

&

Pour Un Homme de Caron is a wonderful lavender, vanilla amber and musk fragrance. I really loved that one, even have almost full bottle of it but I haven't used it for months. My taste has change and now it's a little bit too simple for me. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a great perfume.

Also from Histoires de Parfums, 1725 Casanova is a great scent with a citrusy, grapefruit opening, followed by a warm lavender and vanilla with almonds.

I'm puzzled by a lot of the responses. I've had Caron PH for quite a while now. The last thing I'd think of if someone wanted a lavender scent is Caron PH - it's primarily a vanilla scent to me.

True, it's not dated. It's somewhat reminiscent of Le Male, but I wouldn't call Le Male a lavender scent ether.
    Regards,
    Renato

C&S Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Scottish Lavender
    Caron Un Pour Homme
    Caldey Island Lavender

loved:
    Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender
    Caron's Caron Un Pour Homme
    By Kilian's Taste of Heaven

liked:
    Historie de Parfums' 1725 Casanova

neutral:
    Caldey Abbey Perfumes' Caldey Island Lavender
    Jo Malone's Amber and Lavender

disliked:
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair
    Last edited by morrison74; 13th May 2012 at 12:12 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I recently discovered Maharadjah by Parfums de Nicolai. Warm and spicy, unusual lavender scent.

Also if you're going for Serge Lutens, don't overlook Fourreau Noir.

Surely Jicky, no?

Mauboussin Homme, Edt. This is almost a gourmand lavender. Very rich, sweet, intoxicating, and yet classy and versatile.

I've yet to try Caron Pour Un Homme, but I do know that many reviews here and on Fragrantica for Mauboussin describe it as a modernized, and yet just as classy version of Pour Un Homme.

Yardley English Lavender

Thanks very much to all of you for the welcome and your recommendations! You are all very kind!

I see that a lot of you love Caron Pour un Homme, so I think that it must be really good. I will check it ofcourse! I love lavender and I love vanilla too, so it must be a perfect combination!

Thanks also for all the other suggestions. I will try to check them all!

And I am happy that I am here in this forum, cause really I love perfumes!

Take care!

Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge

Solstice Scents also have a great Lavender Scent at the moment;

http://www.solsticescents.com/COURTY...ML-_p_403.html

thanks very much maryandtheboys!

+1 for Jicky

+1 Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge

Is got to be L'Occitane by L'Occitane. It happens to be from Provence, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Orieno View Post
    Is got to be L'Occitane by L'Occitane. It happens to be from Provence, too!
    Yeah, that's true! And L'Occitane has a lot of boutiques in Athens so tomorrow I am checking it!
    Thanks!

I own L'Occitane and Oxford and Cambridge and my choice would be .....drum roll...... Oxford and Cambridge.

L'Occitane is great also but Oxford and Cambridge is by far one of my favorite Lavender scents.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scentdawg View Post
    I own L'Occitane and Oxford and Cambridge and my choice would be .....drum roll...... Oxford and Cambridge.

L'Occitane is great also but Oxford and Cambridge is by far one of my favorite Lavender scents.
    For sure, I love both, too.

And, takstemar, know what, I first mentioned L'Occitane in response to the question, and you should definitely try it. But, Oxford & Cambridge is a purer lavender, so I give it a +1 for sure. Here's a comparison:

L'Occitan is lavender with some slight hint of tonka/vanilla and is thus pretty smooth and more like the soft lavender buds. So it's lavender, but with some interpretation to it, and it's very nice.

Oxford & Cambridge is dry and herbal lavender and although it has other notes in it, they are slight, almost imperceptible accents that serve to emphasize (rather than blend with) the herbal lavender, if that makes sense. I'd say this is a very literal or direct lavender.

Oxford & Cambridge is hard to find in the US and is about two or three times the price of L'Occitan. But availability and price may be better in Greece or anywhere else in Europe. Good luck! Would love to hear your thoughts on what you end up trying!

I agree with many on the Caron - it's too fundamental to be old-fashioned. If you like lavender and vanilla, you have to try it.

Kilian's Taste of Heaven is a denser, richer take on the same basic idea that lasts for days. If longevity is important, try it.

Some have suggested Jicky - I love it. It's more than a straightforward lavender, though. It has a strong dose of civet, so avoid if you don't like animalic scents. Go for the EdP, by the way - the EdT is underwhelming.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

First of all a big thank you to all of you for your recommendations!

Today I bought L'Occitan! And I am so amazed by it! I love it! It's amazing!

I tried to find the Caron Pour un Homme and Oxford & Cambridge, but didn't have success. So then I went to a L'Occitane Boutique and tried L'Occitan... I really don't have any words! This scent is unique, marvelous and so... Provence! It smells like you are really in a camp in Provence - it has a so natural smell and I love it! I love the lavender and I love the black pepper too! I had never imagined that I would smell like black pepper and love it, but yes I do! So it's official: L'Occitan is my new favorite eau de toilette!

Basenotes Member

Wonderful! I'm so glad you found what you were looking for!!