Code of Conduct

Question OLO Portland: any knowledge of their perfumes?

Dear basenoters,
    At a nice small clothe store in Katajanokka area of Helsinki, I discovered the tiny perfume oil roll-ons of OLO Portland.
    http://www.olofragrance.com/about/
    Do you know anything about the company and their creations? The sales assistant told me that the perfume oils are "almost" organic but maybe she meant natural although even that is not certain. In any case I would like to know if anyone has tried their products and what do you think about them. The price for 9ml was 40 which is quite something. The sales assistant also told me that the perfumer creates a certain quantity of each perfume and when that quantity is over then that's it; no more of the same formula. As a friend in the perfume industry has warned me that there is a lot of bull-s... going on, I thought to ask you.
    Thank you!

Default Re: OLO Portland: any knowledge of their perfumes?

Hi, Heather from OLO Fragrance here. No bull-s... coming from me. At least not involving my company!
    The sales assistant should have said natural, not organic. OLO fragrance blends are 85% fractionated coconut oil. The fragrance portion is comprised of mostly essential oils although I do use synthetics sparingly. I purposefully do not market the products as natural although they lean that way. OLO blends are all (except Violet/Leather) at least 90% natural, most more like 95%. You may always email me if you have a question about the percent of naturals for any perfume blend and I would be happy to tell you.
    She was correct about the limited availability. I do create a lot of limited editions and customs. Limited editions are usually sold here in Portland, they rarely appear in stores or on the website. The blends available online are intended to be around as long as they are popular but I will discontinue them if I can't get the same/better ingredients. I buy and sell very small quantities so it's sometimes difficult to keep essential oils I like around for a long period of time. This is a very small operation, I do every aspect of the business myself. I think they smell great but I will leave it to others to give their opinions as I am certainly biased!

Best,
    Heather

Basenotes Institution

Oh thank you for the info . I had never heard of this line before now and so thanks to MichailG the OP and Heather.
    For other basenoters- I found your website , Heather.
    Very interesting scents !
    http://www.olofragrance.com/
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

What is it in the air of the Pacific Northwest that is encouraging new noses? I ,for one, am thrilled to hear of another US based perfumer. And I had to hear about it from someone in Finland! thanks to the OP, Heather and Mimi for the info.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Thumbs up Re: OLO Portland: any knowledge of their perfumes?

Thank you Heather! All the best of success with your work!

Dependent

Good to have you here, Heather. Your creations sound excellent. I'd love to try them at Scent Bar -- luckyscent.com hint hint

My sister and I smelled these in Portland yesterday.

The brand itself is listed in The Directory, but none of the fragrances are listed, so there is currently no way to enter reviews.

Thanks! The new (much improved) website will be up in June.

The Pacific Northwest smells so good. It definitely inspires me to make perfume.

Last edited by olo fragrance; 20th May 2012 at 02:56 AM.

Thank you!

Dependent

Quick bump to this thread: I have received samples of the Olo line from Heather. The packet smells great: the resins and oud are definitely seeping out. Yum. Will report back with reviews.

What's the deal with Portland? Such a creative town! I'm looking forward to reading those reviews, MonkeyBars.

Dependent

Just dabbed 5 strips with half the samples. Definitely oil-based.

- Violet/Leather: I don't find leather accords in perfumery often reflect the real thing. This one does, however. The violet is also quite clear. Definitely lives up to its name. Has a classic balanced feel, though I'm not a fan of leather nor violet in general so I probably won't wear it. Leans masculine.
    - Tulare: I get clary sage, costus, and lots of wood, maybe copaiba balsam, from this. Rather stark, masculine, and very natural.
    - Lightning Paw: Lovely heady sweet floral composition -- I get jasmine grandiflorum and amber. Has some funk in there, patchouli maybe, that really balances the sweetness, while still being feminine.
    - Dafne: A lighter, greener floral. Really high quality neroli is what I get here. This one stands out, keeping the ylang from being heavy -- a sort of floating anti-gravity effect. Quite feminine. Achieving this type of transparency using mostly naturals is not easy -- I know from experience.
    - Nationale 6/7: Sweet floral, more creamy-balsamic than Lightning Paw. Not overly sweet but leans feminine.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 14th July 2012 at 05:08 AM.

Dependent

Got around to the other half of the samples ... these are more masculine to my nose.

- Victory Wolf: Smoky tobacco -- I get cade as well as birch tar here.
    - Erastus: Also smoky, but more dense. Cade and conifer.
    - Foret: Sweeter than Slumberhouse's Norne, damper and greener. Need to try it on skin.
    - Valens: Lightest of this bunch. Floral on top, kind of unisex. Will try on skin though the base seems very light.
    - Dark Wave: Excellent oud and cardamom accord. Vetiver peaks through later. Reminds me of my favorite Slumberhouse, Vikt, but a bit leaner and spicier. Probably my favorite of the 10.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    My sister and I smelled these in Portland yesterday.

The brand itself is listed in The Directory, but none of the fragrances are listed, so there is currently no way to enter reviews.
    If the brand is in the directory, everyone can now enter individual scents. Grant has worked a miracle there!!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Dependent

So far I've only had time to try Dafne in a full wearing, and I must say, WOW. I was very impressed with its performance. Not only is this a light, transparent composition, but there are interesting transitions at various points and the longevity is good. Yes, it's light AND long-lasting. Fantastic floral. Leans feminine but I could pull it off. I would say this is a more sensual and natural exploration along the lines of Creed's Selection Verte.

- - - Updated - - -

Wore Foret today. To my nose this is mostly benzoin and pine with a light moss touch. Has an incensey side in the drydown. Benzoin is a tough note for me so it's not up my alley, but I could see this being a very popular unisex. Superb longevity of over 12 hours on skin. A lot like a balsamic version of Slumberhouse's Norne.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 8th August 2012 at 03:42 AM.

Dependent

Dark Wave is quite similar to Foret, but has a more rich, full structure. I get benzoin and pine here too, but in a more traditional setting. Superior longevity of over 12 hrs.

Dependent

Valens is built upon a very similar benzoin-conifer base as Foret and Dark Wave. Balanced, but not my thing once again. This is sort of a theme in the OLO men's frags, I suppose.

I own Dark Wave and I absolutely love it! Looking forward to trying a few of the others. Would be great if they created a Facebook page.

I just got Palo Santo today after searching for a Palo Santo fragrance! Will report back in a bit.