Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fragrances you've received negative comments on..

Yesterday I was wearing YSL's M7 in a friends car and he told me I smelled like dirty laundry and cologne (as if I was trying to mask dirty laundry with cologne). What fragrances have you gotten negative reactions from and what were they?

Default Re: Fragrances you've received negative comments on..

ambre sultan, mom said : That scent... you shouldnt wear it anymore..

CK's Escape. It is dated and I knew that when I bought it, but still wanted to give it a try.

Le Labo Patchouli 24 - great for cool weather, but my (shared) office tends to hit 80F when it's closed up, no matter what it's like outside. About five minutes after I walked in, one of my friends said 'it smells funky in here'. At least I was able to get the windows open without any effort! The funny thing is, no one complained when I wore Oud 27 for kicks.

I got a lot wearing Antaeus.

Encre Noire and Issey Miyake Intense

Sables: You smell like burnt popcorn!
    Bal a versailles: You smell like my grandma´s wardrove

Cerutti 1881 Amber: too strong, too fleshy, too sweaty
    Fendi Uomo: smells like rude, unkempt, unhygienic, brutish old men
    Drakkar Noir: way too strong
    Almost anything in my wardrobe: too Oriental (whatever "Oriental" means to the respective interlocutors and interactions)

Noir Epices. I wasn't surprised, as I wasn't enjoying smelling of it either.

Spicebomb a guy coworker said I smell like a woman...I think he was upset I was getting lots of compliments tbh

Blog Entries

Non-verbal comment from an old lady in church when I wore L'Eau D'Issey.

It was a Satuday (anticipated) mass and church wasn't full, she was alone in the left section where I decided to sit a few benches away from her. Moments later, she started coughing, and when she couldn't take it anymore, she moved to another section faaarrrr away from me.

In the years past, too much Joop would get a complaint about the strength, but they usually liked the smell. I also got a couple similar complaints with Bleu de Chanel early after applying.

Terre d'Hermes - quite a few comments that I smelled like dirt and those pine tree car scents.

Dior Homme - old lady, lipstick, old lady, funky old lady. Overall, lots of negative comments with this one.

Yatagan. My 17 year old son runs when he sees it...lol. Didn't take me long to figure out a good use for it. If my son is not quite doing what he is supposed to be doing, all I have to say is... I'll get the Yatigan and spray it in your room. He moves like greased lightning!!!!!

Can't ever recall getting a negative comment from anyone on any fragrance.

Basenotes Junkie

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. I've gotten three outings in a day on it being "way too feminine and sweet for you". True story - and probably what I feel myself as well. The first 30 minutes to an hour are great. After that, it's an overtly sweet fragrance better suited to ... well, not me.

I either get positive notes or just nothing - Tobacco Vanille is the only perfume that's netted med ALOT of negative feedback. Oh well, it was only a sample anyways

Basenotes Junkie

Double post yey.
    Last edited by hreple; 13th May 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Polo Black...I got told I smell of B.O. and Old man.

Don't particularly like it myself anyway and need to sell it.

Tabarome Millesime...from two people; one of whom has a clue about scents, the other of whom does not.

I was wearing 212 men at my work and i coworker walked in and said "It smells like a whore house in here". Lets just say i havent worn it much after that lol. (and i was only wearing 2 sprays)

Although nothing has been said to me directly, Ajmal's AA Pure Indian Musk Gazelle never fails!

None actually. The only two anyone has noticed lately are Black Orchid and Knize Ten, both of which got complements (Black Orchid more than twelve hours after application).

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    I was wearing 212 men at my work and i coworker walked in and said "It smells like a whore house in here". Lets just say i havent worn it much after that lol. (and i was only wearing 2 sprays)
    Well.... he would know wouldn't he..

Don't pay much attention to self proclaimed alpha males. Provoke them instead.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Ready for a laugh? Wore a sample of Bleu de Chanel and was told I smelled like "grandpa's basement."

BdC is freakishly safe. I dont think much of it, but how it got a negative comment, I'll never know.

TF for men extreme - "it's really strong and piercing" - I was wearing 2 sprays. Must go light on the trigger with TF fragrances..

My mom--a Southern Lady--declares that all my fragrances "smell like piss ants"! She only wears Coco.

My dad--a self-described redneck--will only wear JHL and thinks it's a little girly.

P.

The same guy (a total d-bag, btw...) asked "who farted?" in response to Aventus and "who has been using Comet cleaner?" in response to Cruel Intentions. I can understand his reactions, but the way he commented on them (unwilling to directly address me) says a lot IMO.

MiP: My sister said it smelled like high school girls who haven't showered in a while

A woman on the subway moved to a different seat, which I attributed to my Bond No. 9 Harrods Oud Swarovski Crystal Limited Edition Celebrity Sparklepony.

Basenotes Institution

Vintage Joy extrait .
    A guy - my son's guitar teacher- moved away from me as I was talking to him and he wrinkled his face somewhat . It sort of amused me .

Mitsouko - from my sister . " I hate that perfume !!!!!! "

24 Faubourg - again , my sister . " Ugh , I hate that perfume ! "
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Banned

I was wearing Premier Figuier Extreme by L'Artisan Parfumeur. And when I was exiting a cafe, a fellow sitting outside mentioned that someone smelled like a French whore, but the other party at the table quickly responded that all he smelled was caffe latte.
    I assumed that they were talking about my scent, but not sure.

I have received negative 'old lady smell' comments on Amouage Memoir Man and Amber Absolute. Two of my very favorites. I'm generally pretty easy on the trigger as a rule. I haven't really let it deter me though.

Once - the ultimate negative comment at the office- I sprayed two sprays of GIT into the air and a coworker asked if it was Drakkar Noir.

I have a friend that says I always smell like a French Whore. He hates all fragrances! Well, except for one. When I wore vintage M7 he actually said, "not bad".
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I let a few friends try tuscan leather, they immediately ran to the bathroom to wash it off.

Girlfriend hates leather oud

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I have a friend that says I always smell like a French Whore. He hates all fragrances! Well, except for one. When I wore vintage M7 he actually said, "not bad".
    How many French whores has he smelled?

I've received some pretty negative comments on Habit Rouge, Bal A Versailles, Vetiver, and Shalimar. My girlfriend asked if I had forgotten to apply deodorant when I was wearing Bal A Versailles for the first time, haha! I was kicked out of class for wearing Shalimar, and comments on Vetiver seem to be either very positive or very negative. Habit Rouge just gets me every variation of "old lady" comment possible. Only my girlfriend and my best friend like Habit Rouge.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Ready for a laugh? Wore a sample of Bleu de Chanel and was told I smelled like "grandpa's basement."

BdC is freakishly safe. I dont think much of it, but how it got a negative comment, I'll never know.
    Don't assume this is what they actually thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    I've received some pretty negative comments on Habit Rouge, Bal A Versailles, Vetiver, and Shalimar. My girlfriend asked if I had forgotten to apply deodorant when I was wearing Bal A Versailles for the first time, haha! I was kicked out of class for wearing Shalimar, and comments on Vetiver seem to be either very positive or very negative. Habit Rouge just gets me every variation of "old lady" comment possible. Only my girlfriend and my best friend like Habit Rouge.
    I asked a friend what she thought of Habit Rouge sprayed on a card and she said: "THIS does NOT smell like a MAN!!" So I never bought it.

Every time I wear JubilationXXV, my wife says it smells like body odor.

never would I have thought "French Whore" was used so often to describe a bad scent...

I guess the only real negative comment I've gotten was when I was trying 1 Million and my girlfriend said it was a very unappetizing and that she didn't feel like eating anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    never would I have thought "French Whore" was used so often to describe a bad scent...

I guess the only real negative comment I've gotten was when I was trying 1 Million and my girlfriend said it was a very unappetizing and that she didn't feel like eating anymore.
    I've actually smelled French whores, though not all that close, and I don't remember that they had much of a pong.

Quote Originally Posted by racuda View Post
    Every time I wear JubilationXXV, my wife says it smells like body odor.
    We're going to have to set you up with some Muscs Koublai Khan.

A stale-smelling, chain-smoking coworker, whom I would have thought could not discern any scents at all over her own, actually recoiled from me the day I wore Estee Lauder's Sensuous to work. I was mortified by her reaction and did not wear it to work again.

Jicky (not sure what concentration): A girl on the train wrinkled her nose and with an air of innocent confusion said to her boyfriend, "Something smells really strange."

Caron Pour un Homme: A diplomatic "It's rather...sweet."

Girl working in health food store started coughing and waving her hand around her face, when I wore Dune for Men. But I think it had more to do with me wearing too much that day, than the scent itself.

When I wear Snake Oil by bpal, I have one friend who always says "You smell like Play-Doh".

Armani Diamonds....

A co-worker said very rudely "Whatever you're wearing it stinks and you don't smell good you smell like my ex."

I told her in response "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn, I wear my fragrances for me not you. If you told your ex he smelled bad so rudely then I understand why he is now your ex."

End of story.

Shalimar. My partner got into my car while I had some on my arm, and asked that drive with my arm out the window until we reached our destination and could wash it off.

Quorum. I sat next to my partner seconds after application and it about killed them.

Givenchy Play Intense-the ladies they said they liked it their facial expression said otherwise, I probably sprayed too much.
    A*Men- Girls said I smell like an old man! Crazy 20 year old girls!
    Pure Malt- "Have you been drinking?"

Basenotes Member

My girlfriend remarked yesterday that Leather Oud smells like a sweat lodge. Then quickly tried to cover up by saying sweat lodges smell good.

I've been also told I smell like an old man when wearing Grey Flannel.

Tobacco Vanille - "smell like old lady"

Pure Malt opening - "thats just f*cked"

Basenotes Plus

CdG Hinoki. I was surprised at how negative people were about it.

Creed Bois de portugal: "You smell like an old man - no it's worse - you smell like an old man in an geriatric hospital" Ouch!

Fragrances with strong oud are the ones that get me negative comments.

These comments don't come from the locals, who either don't comment or say that it smells good, but from ex-pats, mainly from the U.S. and Europe. I have a strong impression that most non-Arabs just don't like the smell of oud.

CREED Bois du Portugal the lady said: too much after shave eh?
    I guess most people who comment negatively (I'm talking about those EXTREMELY negative comments that have nothing to do with the scent) about perfumes don't know much about fragrance and the only thing they use (if ever) to "perfume" themselves with is generic Soap or body wash.
    I mean come on... bois du portugal and after shave? L'artisan and French whores ? I'm sure those french whores smell amazing!

Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme but I don´t care as long as I like it.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

A friend told me once: ''Hey,have you burnt your dinner in the kitchen? You smell like burnt syrup on the stove.''

But HATERS GONNA HATE, A*MEN IS A LEGEND .

Santal 33 garnered me the bug spray comment from a few people.

Tom Ford Black Orchid - Too cloying for a warm office environment.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - "That doesn't suit you, it's too clean and soapy." Haha, she assured me that whilst I don't ever smell dirty, she prefers me to wear oriental/gourmand fragrances.

VIW: You smell like efficascent oil. *that b$tch*

Givenchy Gentleman , 1 hour upon 2 sprays to the chest , " You smell like dirt or sand. "

My best friend actually dissed Bois des Iles. Otherwise, no negative comments.

But the real question is: did you stop wearing the fragrance because of the negative comment?