Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What great designer frag contains the most unique combination of notes you can think of?

I know Gucci Pour Homme 1 contains 26 notes and smells like a walk in a cedar forest, a bonfire, freshly cut wood, or perhaps a cool autumn day with distant chimney smoke hanging in the cool, crisp, air, however, there is also Hanae Mori's "HM", Dior's "Fahrenheit", Blvgari's "Black", Mugler's "A*Men" and "Cologne" too, with it's certainly unique "S" note! lol However, which designer fragrances truly amaze you with either the sheer volume of different notes employed to create one cohesive, delightful whole, or in your opinion, create an amazing, alluring fragrance, by utilising some of the most creative, inventive, and/or very unique notes or combinations thereof? I love great depth, singularity, and complexity in my fragrances, so long as they smell awesome. I'm sure there are a great many niche ones, but this thread is about designer fragrances only. Thank you, guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What great designer frag contains the most unique combination of notes you can think of?

Bulgari Black for me. Tea, rubber, smoke and vanilla. Who would've thought it would be so great?

Default Re: What great designer frag contains the most unique combination of notes you can think of?

V&R Antidote. Still not sure what to make of it, but I do know I like it...

Post Thanks / Like

I think Dior Fahrenheit is my pick. The fact it's been out so long and no one has tried to ever touch it speaks volumes.

Post Thanks / Like

For designer only.... I'd say Spicebomb.

for swap/sale:

Xeryus Rouge. Cactus & Kumquat, most peculiar !

Post Thanks / Like

Is Lush a designer brand? (certainly the prices are). If so, Breath of God, a combo of who knows how many things: burning plastic, vetiver, japanese candies, etc etc

One that is no more: Feu d'Issey. Tarte au citron - lemon, bread, white flowers, vitamins, fruits, etc etc

cacio

When I read the thread I was automatically thinking of Hanae Mori HM.

Citrus and green on top
    Floral in the middle
    Sweet, mossy and ambery at the base

Definitely HM.

Post Thanks / Like

Terre D'hermes

Agree with Baldini - Antidote

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros : makes me think it was made by accident.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree on the A*Mens

+1 Fahrenheit, M7, Antidote

Bvlgari Man - an odd pairing of pear, lotus, vetiver, and honey
    Burberry London - the mimosa is the odd note that really takes this scent to the next level
    Narciso Rodriguez For Him - violets + patchouli + cucumber + wet cement.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf is, indeed, an amalgamated composition with kaleidoscopic heads.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything by Comme Des Garcons (a designer by definition)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Bvlagri Black

I have some my brain can´t forget! I just close my eyes and the unique smell memory comes... Some of them:

M7
    Gucci I ( where is it? discontinued?)
    Grey Flannel
    Body Kouros
    L'Anarchiste and most Caron's ... they are so different from each other.

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wholeheartedly agree with both Antidote and Breath of God. Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme isn't your every day combination by any means as well. Still in the process of adjusting my nose to the VC&A.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I would vote for Fahrenheit too.
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Tom Ford Extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

Fahrenheit is unique and I still can't get my nose around it. I like the old juice better.
    Womanity has fig, caviar, wood, brown sugar (I think) and some floral notes I can't define. Weird and strangely alluring.
    Bvlgari Black,,,of course!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Gucci Envy for Men . . . sandalwood, herbs, spices, flowers, citrus, musk, amber and ginger on top of all that.

Edit: Hmm, I'm not sure it's the most unique after all. Fahrenheit and Yatagan are probably more unique.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 14th May 2012 at 10:30 PM.

Antidote or Individuel (perhaps not as diverse as many, but it contains soooo many notes!)

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Xeryus Rouge.

Post Thanks / Like

A*Men (particularly at the time of its release)

And I agree on Antidote...clusterf*ck of notes that manages to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Van Cleef&Arpels pour Homme, Esencia Loewe, Fahrenheit Absolue, Ungaro III, Zino Davidoff, Rive Gauche pour Homme and a few others unlikely powerhouse or powerhouse-like scents of a certain non-linear, convoluted up to the point of being almost Baroque, lavishly luxurious and manly at the same time but also strangely enthralling due to their creativity and swagger

Post Thanks / Like

Gucci Pour Homme (1976)
    Phileas
    Rykiel Homme Grey -I really liked this fragrance

Post Thanks / Like

All very nice suggestions, but my vote goes to YATAGAN by Caron

I get wet wild wolf in a huge celery campfire in the middle of a dark forrest with this fragrance.
    I will never learn to appreciate it, but it's very very unique and niche worthy - no doubt !!

Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Caron - The Third Men

Post Thanks / Like

Mitsouko or Womanity are probably the most interesting combinations I can think of at the moment.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    Really? I thought Comme des Garçons was niche. I lost my interest now!

Lol. Just kidding.
    Sarcasm is VERBOTEN when we speak about sa majestè CDG. Officer, handcuff this guy and spray him with Light Blue Pour Homme for a year in a row.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Kouros

M7

Mandragore Pourpre

Yatagan
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 14th May 2012 at 11:32 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    All very nice suggestions, but my vote goes to YATAGAN by Caron

I get wet wild wolf in a huge celery campfire in the middle of a dark forrest with this fragrance.
    I will never learn to appreciate it, but it's very very unique and niche worthy - no doubt !!
    And yet, it is totally seemless in structure. A masterpiece

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Ford Extreme for Men.

Post Thanks / Like

Zino by Davidoff: The floral patchouly combo is quite unique....
    Declaration by Cartier: Again the sweaty cumin and cardamom qith that ashy cedary base is very unique.
    Nu edp by YSL: Incredible combination of flowers and metallic incense...crazy.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thank you, guys! Not sure why I didn't get all 38 replies in my email, but I'm glad to see your replies to this thread! thread. Awesome responses! I DO love Hanae Mori HM EDP, Fahrenheit, Black, vintage M7 (amazing!!!), and of course GPH I, but now I HAVE TO start investigating Antidote! Seems to be right up my alley! Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you all. If you guys have any more fantastic, yet complex and/or totally unique designer fragrances, please send them this way! Thanks again!

P.S. Tried recently to find the cursive DAVIDOFF Zino, but it appears to be an exercise in futility. If anyone knows where I can purchase a 4.2 bottle of this, please PM me.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smyle12 View Post
    P.S. Tried recently to find the cursive DAVIDOFF Zino, but it appears to be an exercise in futility. If anyone knows where I can purchase a 4.2 bottle of this, please PM me.
    I found my bottles at local wholesale perfume shops. If that's not an option, hit eBay and look at every photo to find the cursive bottles, then email the sellers the same message every time about if that's actually what they're selling.

Also, BN marketplace.

I find Zino to be a descendent of Jicky, but with more rose and rosewood, and a bit less sweet, more tart. Also, I find it quite animalic in a similar way to Jicky. It borders on "bathroomy" in an intriguing, edgy way. I find it bright and surprisingly wearable, with average longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I think Dior Fahrenheit is my pick. The fact it's been out so long and no one has tried to ever touch it speaks volumes.
    this

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Fahrenheit in terms of scent, John Varvatos in terms of listed notes.

Post Thanks / Like

Mugler Cologne: Soap and Seamans
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Body Kouros. The mentholated eucalyptus note mixed with smoky incense and sweet powdery tonka/benzoin is odd & unique to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Odeur 71 by CdG

Electricity, Metal, Office, Mineral, Dust on a hot light bulb, photocopier toner, Hot metal, Toaster, fountain pen ink, Pencil Shavings, The salty taste of a battery, incense, Wood, Moss, Willow, Elm, Birch, Bamboo, Hyacinth and Lettuce Juice

If there is a more unique combination of notes, I'm unaware of it.