Code of Conduct

Default Anosmic to Terre d'Hermes?

Forgive me for posting yet another Terre d’Hermes thread, but I’m really curious about the projection of this fragrance.

Many reviewers here on Basenotes describe it as powerful scent with strong silage, but to my nose it is relatively discreet and stays close to the skin.

Even moderately applied (one spray, maybe two) this fragrance (the edt) is getting comments many hours after application, when I can only smell traces of it on my wrist.

Obviously I am anosmic to something in it – or?

Anyone with similar experiences?

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Anosmic to Terre d'Hermes?

My dad gave me a compliment on it long after I'd forgotten I even applied it. Not over-applying either I guess. One spray to each side of my neck, one to the chest of my sweater and I think that was it. I suspect this was four hours later he commented, and he didn't even stand that close.

Myself, I've felt it disappears quickly, but I'm starting to think the same thing as you - it's got some sexy trick making me not smell it any more, but making other people still notice it.

This needs to be sprayed far away from the nose or else it will definitely cause olfactory fatigue due to the huge amount of iso e super present (it makes up 55% of the formula).

Doing a search on olfactory fatigue and iso e super will help clarify what I mean by that.

Maybe it's some "stage whisper" effect from the Iso E Super?

But wearing it makes me feel oddly exposed to the observers, like having something written with a marker in your forehead.

I have the same problem with Dia and Santal Noble. As Sculpture says try spraying away from your nose so it is not overwhelmed.

Thanks, will dig deeper into this subject.

Any other suggestions than Iso E Super?
    Last edited by headspace; 14th May 2012 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    This needs to be sprayed far away from the nose or else it will definitely cause olfactory fatigue due to the huge amount of iso e super present (it makes up 55% of the formula).

Doing a search on olfactory fatigue and iso e super will help clarify what I mean by that.
    I used to do one to the Adams apple and I had trouble smelling it. It causes serious olfactory fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    I used to do one to the Adams apple and I had trouble smelling it. It causes serious olfactory fatigue.
    I think it's good advice in general to never spray one's neck. I honestly believe that is one of the main causes of people's perceived "poor longevity" with so many scents.

I'm surprised no one has posted something like this sooner to be honest.

I find that I get olfactory fatigue with the Parfum version. I find that I spray more of the Parfum so that I can detect it more, but it does seem to fade away very quickly.

If you are getting olfactory fatigue, spraying more will not help. In fact, over-application (or applying close to the nose) makes olfactory fatigue worse. It's just the way it works (the large molecules collect on your olfactory bulb and prevent you from smelling the other molecules)

I get extremely long longevity and projection with the Parfum and much less with the EDT.

It is indeed the iso e super. I used to think that TdH faded quickly when I first started wearing it but was told otherwise by a close friend. I still can smell the stuff lightly on me all day long and get complements (almost) every time I wear it. No need to over spray and yes, keep it away from your neck. Chest and arms are good places to spray. TdH projects well and is long lasting, trust me!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    Myself, I've felt it disappears quickly, but I'm starting to think the same thing as you - it's got some sexy trick making me not smell it any more, but making other people still notice it.
    I don't like these kind of trick because I wear scents more for myself than for others.
    I reckon it might be because of the Iso E Super. Sometimes Terre even causes slight nausea when freshly applied.

Today I wore Vetyver Incenso, which has been compared to Terre d.H. I think they are similar but not identical. And I don't get that saltiy Iso E Super vibe. My impression is that the scent (Vetyver Incenso) is not overly loud, but I could smell it on myself 12 hrs +

I love TDH, but I have run into this issue with it from time to time. Not so much from my first mini bottle, but moreso from the Deluxe bottle EDT. But I ALWAYS spray each side of my neck.

Quote Originally Posted by headspace View Post
    Even moderately applied (one spray, maybe two) this fragrance (the edt) is getting comments many hours after application, when I can only smell traces of it on my wrist.
    This is quite common with TdH or any other fragrance containing Iso E Super. Even though you may not be able to smell it, those around you still can and will even compliment you.

This also why I believe Aventus may contain a large amount of Iso E Super in its composition to help obtain the strong wood smell.

If other people around you can smell it but you it's anosmia due to olfactory fatigue. TdH has average sillage on me.

It's all been said - Iso E Super galore.
    I personally hate the scent, but then I don't like IES in large doses (smells sweaty), but yes, it's one of those fragrances where you can hardly smell it but everyone else can - I have smelt it on someone once and the trail was really nice, but on myself it's a no-go.

Put down the TdH and pick up a bottle of Yardley Citrus and Wood.

I wore three healthy sprays of TDH edt today, and I can smell it, but not as strong as I'd like to. I put one on my throat, one on my chest and one on my stomach. Very faint, but I can smell it. I'll try the same strategy with my TDH EDP and see if it smells a little stronger.

TDH EDT is one of the few fragrances I have that I can smell on myself 6 -8 hours or more after application and I only put on 3 sprays.
    Living each day one spray at a time

I'm anosmic to Iso E Super. Scents with high percentages of IES, I get zip.

mihailo

Are you sure you own a genuine product?

It`s one of the weakest fragrances i own. I can`t notice the fragrance at all after 45 minutes. And belive it or not : -The EDP is even worse! I don`t bother use it anymore..

I just opened a fresh new bottle of the EdT. It smells much less stronger than the year old bottle I had before. I get more grapefruit than orange peel just like how I remember the original EdT back in 2006. Despite it being weak (or weaker) I was able to smell it over night and in to this morning, so about 10+ hours.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I just opened a fresh new bottle of the EdT. It smells much less stronger than the year old bottle I had before. I get more grapefruit than orange peel just like how I remember the original EdT back in 2006. Despite it being weak (or weaker) I was able to smell it over night and in to this morning, so about 10+ hours.
    Seems this one has been reformulated as the IFRA has handed down a verdict of max 22% Iso E or something.

Personally I find it rather safe and boring. I need to try Citrus & Wood as I would definitely pay ten bucks for it otoh.

Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post
    This is quite common with TdH or any other fragrance containing Iso E Super. Even though you may not be able to smell it, those around you still can and will even compliment you.

This also why I believe Aventus may contain a large amount of Iso E Super in its composition to help obtain the strong wood smell.
    I've also had the same suspicion regarding Aventus. Not only because Iso e Super frags generally seem to get complimented very well, (which Aventus does more than any other according to most BN'ers) but because so many people claim they can't smell Aventus on them after a little while. Seems oddly similar to this issue with TDH and other frags containing higher percentages of IES. I agree with others as well, though, with heavy IES frags, even when you can't/don't smell it, they seem to project somewhat softly, but oddly very well for quite a while and a fair distance. I've seen stories from other BN'ers on here wearing only IES or Molecule 02 and getting tons of compliments long after application.

I can definitely confirm this stuff does trick my nose, I don't find it strong and barely notice it after application, but sneakily it's doing its job hours after application.

Ok, so I just recently wore this (EDT), and while it didn't happen on previous wearings, I found myself barely able to smell it after about 45 min. I mean, I could put my wrist up to my nose and smell it close to the skin for a couple of hours, but all of a sudden, it seemed to be fading fast. Shame...as I really enjoy the middle and dry down with the EDT and wish I could smell it myself longer. Never tried the parfum version...wonder if I'd fair better with that...

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Ok, so I just recently wore this (EDT), and while it didn't happen on previous wearings, I found myself barely able to smell it after about 45 min. I mean, I could put my wrist up to my nose and smell it close to the skin for a couple of hours, but all of a sudden, it seemed to be fading fast. Shame...as I really enjoy the middle and dry down with the EDT and wish I could smell it myself longer. Never tried the parfum version...wonder if I'd fair better with that...
    One possibility is that powerful synthetic musks dissipated. I think this is what happens with Michael for Men by Kors as well. I can't stand TdH so I'm not going to test it out and see if it is similar to Kors.