Code of Conduct

Default Article: At The End Of The Day, Its A Business An Interview With The Chair Of Fragrance Foundatio

---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Default Re: Article: At The End Of The Day, Its A Business An Interview With The Chair Of Fragrance Found

Great article, Persolaise. I'm wondering whether the Arabian perfumers involved in this will abide by IFRA rules, or whether they can just ignore them. Hopefully, the latter, and then we'll all be rushing to try them. I'm pretty sure Amouage doesn't take any notice of IFRa, so let's hope the other Arabian perfumes won't, either. Incidentally, when I lived in the Middle East I appreciate the ubiquity of top class rose attars, many of which were worn by men.

Just a correction redrose, Amouage do take IFRA regulations in to account,

and this has resulted in many of their oil perfumes being discontinued.

Default Re: Article: At The End Of The Day, Its A Business An Interview With The Chair Of Fragrance Found

Thank you for the correction, salim96. Disappointing, though. But no doubt there are some wonderful frags coming out of the world of Arabian perfumes, so there's much to look forward to.

Redrose, Amouage have informed me that they adhere to all relevant international safety guidelines. Thanks for chipping in, Salim96. And I'm glad you enjoyed the interview, Redrose.

Basenotes Institution

Great article , Persolaise.

Blog Entries

I am wondering when they will start virtual discussion groups in the Middle East, and whether we could join into them via the internet ?

Great article! I only had the chance to sample a few fragrances of Arabian origin last autumn at a perfume shop I think on Oxford street opposite Selfridges. Could it be Arabian Oud? The whole ambience was interesting and strange at the same time; people were going in and out and there was too much locomotion, at the same time the interior oozed luxury and so did the fragrance bottles; however, the retail approach was very super-market like. This put me off totally I am afraid so when the sales assistant tried to convince me of the high quality of some fragrances that could suit my taste and on top were quite affordable ... I simply couldn't buy into it. Now that I read the article I see that I wasn't educated about these perfumes, and the Arabian glitz didn't do it for me. I agree that some fragrances from the Arabian peninsula would certainly be great hits in the west; however, some stylistic adjustments would be important. To be totally honest, when I was at that particular shop and not been aware of the brand, I thought for a minute that I was in an Arab souvenir shop and the souvenirs were perfumes in over-the-top bottles. I will be more aware next time! I promise! Thank you Persolaise!

Mimi and michailG, thanks very much indeed.

michailG, the shop you're referring too was almost certainly Arabian Oud. And yes, you do have make a mental, 'stylistic adjustment' when trying scents that have been made for a different culture, in the same way that you have to prepare yourself to listen to 'foreign' music or watch 'foreign' films.

Ursula, good question. Sadly, I don't have an answer. Mind you, there's no reason why Middle East-based perfume fans can't use Basenotes' forum. In fact, many of them do.

Blog Entries

I have made a plug for AL HARAMAIN oud blends a few times. Is it not true that good stuff = good scents will eventually sell themselves, simply by word of mouth ??

There are a few members on more than one discussion boards, who have discovered the beautiful Arabic perfume oil oud blends, such as AL HARAMAIN Attar Al Kaaba, Haneen and Marwah.

Why does an industry sleuth not jump on this information and feed it back to the manufacturers ???

They have an uncharted market right here ... those oud blends just have to be properly introduced on a larger scale, instead of being hidden in some Arabic book shops or other ethnic sources.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Great article, Persolaise. Thank you for the inside look.

The Middle East is a actually the origin of modern Western perfumery, with attars and resins being brought back to Europe after the Crusades, so it was nice to read this article.