Code of Conduct

Default Branching out from Acqua Di Gio

Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie to men's fragrances, as the only cologne I have is Acqua Di Gio. I'd like to branch out and get more variety. I went to Macy's yesterday to try out a few samples. I don't have strong recollections of a lot of them, but I hated Calvin Klein Eternity and I really liked the new Guess Seductive that came out last year, though it apparently has poor longevity. The Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme and the new Lacoste Blanc were also very good. Can you guys suggest a cologne that provides a good complement to the Acqua Di Gio?

Default Re: Branching out from Acqua Di Gio

I'd suggest Chanel Allure Homme Sport or maybe Hugo Boss Bottled

Bleu de Chanel

If you're simply going for compliments, L'homme does a good job me thinks. Bleu de Chanel is also good

L'Homme has gotten me many many compliments.

Easily my number 1 compliment getter no questions asked.

Bleu de Chanel is excellent. For something that will compliment Aqua but still add variety, Terre d'Hermes. Also is your username a reference to David the fiddle God? Or is it just a really common last name?

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    Bleu de Chanel is excellent. For something that will compliment Aqua but still add variety, Terre d'Hermes. Also is your username a reference to David the fiddle God? Or is it just a really common last name?
    yup, it is named after the violinist. Love him. Wouldn't have expected someone here to recognize him.

What's the difference between l'homme and l'homme la nuit?

Try a fragrance from the Acqua Di Parma range. They are a step up in luxury compared to most of the frags on the shelves.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 15th May 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
    yup, it is named after the violinist. Love him. Wouldn't have expected someone here to recognize him.

What's the difference between l'homme and l'homme la nuit?
    Well La'Nuit is a flanker of L'Homme. They share some similarities yet they are different.

I would say that L'Homme is more versatile than Nuit.

L'Homme is a good anytime, anywhere type of fragrance. Many complain about longevity...tho it does great for me.

Nuit has been likened to a night out fragrance for cooler weather.

Banned

Try:

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - This is a considerably toned down version of the original, masterpiece Fahrenheit. No negative connotation is implied or should be taken; rather, this is a distinctive composition, somewhat bright and fresh, with ties to the original.
    Initially, one is treated to a blast of sparkling grapefruit, with its sour greenness, tempered by a hint of sweetness from the mandarin. This invigorating, citrus melange is drawn to the heart by a nascent mint. Here, in the heart, the cool spearmint comes into its own with its sweet, green facets, and commingles with violet leaf, with its intense freshness and a hint of cucumber. Basil infuses the refreshing blend with a lively dusting of its lemon-like, savory herb. A very faint undercurrent of petro/gasoline can be sensed. Transitioning to the base, a rather ordinary, woods accord presents, and interplays with a light, almost airy, Haitian vetiver as well as a subtle leather. A placid drydown ensues. This high-quality composition is bright and fresh, and should prove to be very versatile. Having average projection and longevity, this scent will, indeed, shine in the spring, summer and fall.

&

Armani mania, once your want to move a bit upscale and into better perfumery but less complements, try terre.

Anything but AdG will do you fine.

Basenotes Member

I am in a similar situation, I have four bottles in my wardrobe, but only two for summer. ADG and D'Issey Summer 2009. I do NOT want to wear ADG again this summer now that I know a bit more about fragrance. I SMELL IT EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

I was thinking of trying Chanel AHS, but am afraid with its popularity it will just be another ADG in my wardrobe. I even heard some people mistake it for ADG, which I find hard to believe...

What do you think, is AHS the new ADG, or not even close?

I bought 1 Million because it was so unique and no one had it, and now it's being pushed everywhere in the USA. I don't want a repeat of that although I still feel unique wearing 1 Million.

Quote Originally Posted by fallingreason View Post
    I am in a similar situation, I have four bottles in my wardrobe, but only two for summer. ADG and D'Issey Summer 2009. I do NOT want to wear ADG again this summer now that I know a bit more about fragrance. I SMELL IT EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

I was thinking of trying Chanel AHS, but am afraid with its popularity it will just be another ADG in my wardrobe. I even heard some people mistake it for ADG, which I find hard to believe...

What do you think, is AHS the new ADG, or not even close?

I bought 1 Million because it was so unique and no one had it, and now it's being pushed everywhere in the USA. I don't want a repeat of that although I still feel unique wearing 1 Million.
    If you like aquatic type summer scents, I would also suggest trying Bvlgari's Aqva and Versace Pour Homme. Both are in the same league as ADG, but would not be as common. Also, both make good evening summer fragrances, as they are deeper than ADG and have a bit of sweetness backing up the aquatic accord in the base. Also, Versace Pour Homme is very similar to Allure Homme Sport which you mentioned, but is quite a bit cheaper.

Also, if you want a completely different type of summer scent you might try a green/herbal scent like YSL Live Jazz, a soapy green scent like Mugler Cologne, or a ginger/woody/citrus sports frangrance like Armani Sport Code or Burberry Sport.

I suggest La Nuit De L'Homme and Platinum Egoiste. To me this can be worn any time of the season and smells sooo good

Armani Mania, Emporio Armani He, Roadster.
    For a little more daring, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, Kouros, Fahrenheit, Prada Infusion DHomme.