Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Do I need the "Dreamer" (Versace), when I have DH, DHI, Rochas...

Hey guys,

I like gourmand and sweet notes, so I already bought:

Dior Homme (2011)
    Dior Homme Intense (2012 - reformulated)
    The One
    The One Gentleman
    Rochas Man
    Midnight in Paris

My question ist: Do I still need the Dreamer? I heard (and read here) that it was a bit like Dior Homme (which is a great scent in my opinion) and The One; others say, it is like Le Male (which I don't like because of the too floral lavender note). Unfortunately, I dont have the possibility so sample it, so it would be a blind buy. What do you think? Looking forward to your opinions!
    Last edited by 0Phoenix0; 17th May 2012 at 10:19 AM.

Default Re: Do I need the "Dreamer" (Versace), when I have DH, DHI, Rochas...

It simultaneously has qualities that are similar to all of the ones you mentioned while at the same time being absolutely nothing like any of the ones you mentioned. It's sort of an amalgamation of many different ideas and that's what makes it so unique and unusual, you're not going to be able to make a 1:1 comparison of it to anything else.

You have more than enough quality scents where Dreamer isn't a necessary addition, but at the same time if you enjoy all of those fragrances and wear them often and given that Dreamer can be acquired for <$30 on Amazon for a full bottle, it's not a considerable investment to be making. I would say go for it, if nothing else it's an interesting one to have in the collection

I started similiar thread almost year ago. You can read it here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/278...obe?highlight=

My answer: NO
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

IMO - No.

I'd say yes. The dreamer's most similar fragrance is Le Male. Dreamer is Le Male without the super vanilla note. Especially for $30, I'd go for it

Thanks for all your answers so far. Its 2:2 now - I'm still not sure. As I said, I don't like Le Male because of its lavender, tonka, vanilla mixture (although i normally like vanilla a lot, for example in DHI). Maybe it will help that I dislike Nikos Sculpture Homme, too, because it reminds me of Le Male (very cloying and "randomly mixed", not sophisticated).

But almost everyone appreciates the unique drydown of the Dreamer...

IMO, The Dreamer has no similarity to the fragrances that you've mentioned. The Dreamer is not a gourmand by any mean, it is a interesting fragrance focus on the tobacco note, but the tobacco note is not smoky like many other tobacco fragrances, I find the tobacco note in the dreamer is rather fresh and somehow stale. Though this one is created in 1996, it smells quite dated with the 80s vibe all over it

Get it, it's a lot different than anything you mentioned. Actually, it's a lot different than anything I've ever smelled.

yes buy it. it is worth it.

That is for you to find out! IMO Dreamer is not gourmand but it is quite powdery, sweet and very different from the diors.

Different caliber and genre, since dreamer is cheap why not. I would though save up and get something slight better.

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    Different caliber and genre, since dreamer is cheap why not. I would though save up and get something slight better.
    Hehe, and what would that be?

Hmm... now the thread was moved, altough I'm not really a newbie in fragrances...

Quote Originally Posted by 0phoenix0 View Post
    hey guys,

i like gourmand and sweet notes, so i already bought:

Dior homme (2011)
    dior homme intense (2012 - reformulated)
    the one
    the one gentleman
    rochas man
    midnight in paris

my question ist: Do i still need the dreamer? I heard (and read here) that it was a bit like dior homme (which is a great scent in my opinion) and the one; others say, it is like le male (which i don't like because of the too floral lavender note). Unfortunately, i dont have the possibility so sample it, so it would be a blind buy. What do you think? Looking forward to your opinions!
    yes!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Dependent

IMO, no. Others may not see the similarity, but if this were my collection I would never reach for The Dreamer as there would always be another better qualifying frag to go for.
    "The most beautiful sea hasnít been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasnít grown up yet. The most beautiful days we havenít seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I havenít said yetÖ"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

Basenotes Member

I say yes. Very unique indeed.

I would only get it to add it to my collection. Wouldn't wear it over so many better ones.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    I never smelled anything like The Dreamer. As you don't like Le Male it won't be a safe blindbuy IMO. It's as strong as Le Male, a little bit synthetic on the opening notes, have tons of tobacco and can be cloying.
    Your collection is good and it won't make all that difference in it.
    I agree.

&

The Dreamer - because it dreams of being great.

Get the dreamer. It's great just make it through the opening 10 minutes and you'll love it.