Code of Conduct

Default Conehead alert: new Annick Goutal "Nuit Etoilée" (Starry Night)

This sounds marvelous -- anyone know more about it? Posted by Goutal on their facebook page.

Succomber au nouveau parfum Nuit Etoilée…
    Marcher des heures dans une nature à l'état sauvage, à la nuit tombée.
    Écouter les herbes folles se froisser et les pommes de pin craquer sous ses pieds.
    Ramasser des rameaux de conifère, les casser et sentir les vapeurs résineuses au bout des doigts. Puis s'allonger sur le sol et profiter du clair de lune comme si l'on était seul au monde.
    Inspirés par leurs escapades nocturnes dans des grands espaces immaculés, les parfumeurs Camille Goutal et Isabelle Doyen ont dessiné un lieu rêvé. Une forêt majestueuse où les cascades ruissellent entre les arbres, où les effluves aromatiques finissent par réchauffer la peau, où les galets forment un matelas moelleux, où le frisson de l'immensité tutoie la sérénité absolue, où l'on peut regarder les astres illuminer l'instant présent.
    Une forêt enchantée, sur fond de nuit étoilée...
    Êtes-vous tenté par cette escapade ?

To walk for hours close to nature at nightfall. Listening to the wild grass crumple and the pine cones crack under your feet. Collecting branches of evergreen, snapping them, smelling their resinous odor on our fingertips. Then to lie back and enjoy the moonlight, as though alone in the world... Perfumers Camille Goutal and Isabelle Doyen have created a dream world, inspired by their nightly escapades in pristine open spaces. A majestic forest where waterfalls flow between the trees, where aromatic fragrances warm the skin, and pebbles form soft beds. Where the thrill of its sheer immensity consorts with absolute serenity, and where you stand and watch the stars as they illuminate the present moment.
    An enchanted forest, amid a starry night...
    Are you tempted by this escapade ?
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Banned

Default Re: Conehead alert: new Annick Goutal "Nuit Etoilée" (Starry Night)

It does sound interesting. I'm curious about the treatment of a waterfall illusion, which could be troublesome though.
    Thanks for the info !

Love Goutal frags. The text makes it sound a bit like a super duper air freshener, but the juice is what counts. Will keep a weather eye for Nuit Etoilee. Always have been a Van Gogh fan as well.

Have had it for two weeks. Very nice.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/300...+Annick+Goutal

Mine bottle of Nuit Etoilee is on it's way already!! Can't wait to see this azurre bottle. So gorgeous! And the scent - amazing. Wonderful woods, crushed pine needles, it's so very aromatic! And after two hours it smells like a night by a campfire.

I got a sample, unfortunately I found it erred on the 'cleaning product' side of piney to my nose. YMMV.

I like what I'm hearing! This is now on my must-try list. Thanks for the comments and links.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Yes, this sounds good. I normally ignore the AG tray at Saks, since I've picked it clean for all the ones that my wife and I like. A new entry, with so many green flags for coneheads, is a happy day!

Great to hear from a true Conehead, red!
    The scent is the current feature attraction on the Annick Goutal website. It is offered in two bottle styles: a curved fluted shape for women, and a square shape for men. As far as I can tell, the scent is identical in each format.
    Here are the notes, according to the site.
    Citrus, aromatic, woody
    (Essences of : citron, sweet orange, peppermint, Siberian pine - Balsam fir and everlasting absolutes - Angelica seeds)
    odysseusm

Yes the same fragrance but the female version is more expensive. If I buy it will be the square one.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Yes the same fragrance but the female version is more expensive. If I buy it will be the square one.
    I hadn't noticed that! 93 euros for the women's, versus 85 for the men's. Guess some might want the fancy bottle.
    odysseusm

What a beautiful bottle! A bit too beautiful even...

Blog Entries

^ Nice to see such a beautiful blue - and it's NOT an aquatic!

As a confessed CONEHEAD I can´t wait to try it. I love AG's take on everything, I love Sables, Songes, Eau de Fier, Duel, Vetiver and specially Encens Flamboyant and Ninfeo Mio....
    Pine, Fir, Angelica?!?! WOW, Im thrilled...(and with mint to make everything sparkle!)

cheers

Pablo

Great to hear from you, Pablo. The Coneheads are configuring on this one...
    odysseusm

I want to join the Coneheads! Love the scent of evergreens in any context, especially fragrances. I have a few (such as SL Filles en Aiguilles)...sadly, one of them, Creed Epicea, is now discontinued. I think Granville would be a good addition, as would this one from AG. Any others, guys?

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Any others, guys?
    Eau de Rochas Homme.

Basenotes Institution

This sounds fabulous ! I love the color of the bottle and the juice sounds promising .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I want to join the Coneheads! Love the scent of evergreens in any context, especially fragrances. I have a few (such as SL Filles en Aiguilles)...sadly, one of them, Creed Epicea, is now discontinued. I think Granville would be a good addition, as would this one from AG. Any others, guys?
    To answer your question - any other, guys? Aleksandr by Arquiste is very nice. I have odered a sample of Nuit Etoilée.

Any others, guys?
    M/Mink. It's like a raw pine note + honey + incense + ink.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'll check this out today - it's in town! Very interested. I really enjoyed the last Goutal release, Mon Parfum Cherie Par Camille - bitter plum chypre with patchouli undercurrent - very un-commercial, almost retro in it's unapologetic ballsiness, like Aromatics Elixir.

On the conehead front, Granville has become one of my absolute favourites over the last year - something just really clicked for me with this one. It's unfussy and bracing yet very melodious, perfect

For all those favoring Conehead scents, please do check out my Coneheads discussion group. Just join if this appeals to you, we are glad to have more members. There are lots of archived discussions of many great scents.
    Creed Cypres-Musc is my favorite, followed closely by L'Artisan Parfumer Fou D'Absinthe and the sadly discontinued L'Occitance 4 Voleurs. Eau de Rochas Homme is a great lemony-pine scent, as was suggested. Hard to find, but worth checking, is Magic Helvetia's La Base for Him. Granville is excellent... and in all seriousness, don't overlook the humble Pino Silvestre.
    Cheers!
    odysseusm

thanks for the tip Ody.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

Yes, I just got Pino Silvestre - I was happy to add it to my wardrobe, as soon as I smelled it. Thank you for that recommendation.

PS - contratulations on your 4000 posts, Ody!

Dependent

Big fan of angelica seed as mentioned on that other thread (http://www.basenotes.net/threads/300...tried-this-yet). Can't wait to hear about the drydown of Nuit Etoilee, as it can't just be fir balsam.

Eau de Rochas Homme is terriffic though I don't get much conifer. My favorite conifer-containing scents are probably Yatagan, Esencia Loewe and Feuilles de Tabac.

Based purely on one spritz on my wrist from the SA.

The front end does seem more "twinkle twinkle little star" than "deep, dark forest". It has a brightness and optimism to it - I am guessing that this is from a moderately sweet citrus accord (more orange than bergamot), mint and the angelica coming up from underneath. I say 'mint' guardedly because I don't sense any apparent mint but a year ago I sampled some mint from Guerlain, one of the solo notes they use for workshops, and it had a 'turquoise brightness' to it that I really did not peg as mint at all, and there is a similar brightness here.

The angelica provides a sort of ambery glow of warmth with a slight herbal touch, not as full on plantlike as the Guerlain Angelique Noir(?) and not as soapy as the wonderful l'Occitane shampoo. It has a finesse to it that's very relaxed, for want of a better word.

All the while I'm looking for pine or similar and certainly at this level I'm not getting it - there's certainly no galbanum or tart green-ness going on at all here, it is a very approachable, almost languorous feeling. It will not make you want to fill your lungs and burst into song from the nearest mountaintop.

A couple of hours in, at home now after a dodging a major thunderstorm, I am definitely sensing a sort of dried pine-needles in the sun pathway and occasional brush with some low hanging soft fir tree foliage sort of mood. The scent strip is a little crisper, with a more expansive green + angelica presence.

I like it but would really like to give it a proper wearing - Goutal's on the whole are quite subtle and I imagine a few blasts would open things up and reveal a bit more and I suspect this is a more of a cramped peek from behind a window at what's on offer than standing out amongst it all and taking in the whole vista. One spritz is not enough

Best I can do for now - will revisit in the next few days, there's another Goutal counter near my office where I can try things myself without the SA clutching the bottle for dear life.

P.S. Impeccable ingredients, as always from Goutal. Not a shrill moment along the way, all culminating in a very gentle parting - makes you wonder why other houses can't pay as much attention to the end as the front.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 20th May 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks so much for the very detailed and thoughtful comments, mr. reasonable. That gives me a good sense of what to expect.
    odysseusm

Thanks for the wonderful review Mr. Reasonable. You've got a great nose and a great ability to articulate just what you are smelling.

Found another review of this over at Bois de Jasmin, for anyone interested: http://boisdejasmin.com/2012/04/anni...ce-review.html
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Cool, thanks guys. I thought of you SOS for a minute because the 'turquoise mint' made me think of MPG's opening (Bois de Turquie?) which i think was mint / orange flower? Just a flash of similarity in feel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Based purely on one spritz on my wrist from the SA.

Thanks for the great review! I love your deep description of the notes and facets, where you're really reaching for analogous ways to describe them. It's very helpful!

Best I can do for now - will revisit in the next few days, there's another Goutal counter near my office where I can try things myself without the SA clutching the bottle for dear life.
    I can just hear her inner Church Lady... "That's right. One to a customer. There you go. Now isn't that nice? Wouldn't you say it's a pleasant scent? I would."

P.S. Impeccable ingredients, as always from Goutal. Not a shrill moment along the way, all culminating in a very gentle parting - makes you wonder why other houses can't pay as much attention to the end as the front.
    Agreed. I almost think the scent experience reflects the user experience and the sale itself. Long-term craftsmanship for long-term customers. "Quickie" scents for quickie sales to faithless customers.

Also it seems that many popular fragrances have defaulted to linearity as a way of routinely satisfying large numbers of users, rather than crafting a development that risks offending them by transition to "something other than what the topnotes advertised".

Nice review mr. reasonable. I will drop by my local and see if I can pry it away from the Goutal SA.

Banned

A different take on Granville follows:

Granville by Christian Dior - One is initially treated to a zesty, citric accord. Tangy lemon and orangey mandarin interplay with pungent, savory thyme. This burst of briskness transitions to the heart. Here, the invigorating opening is enveloped by camphoraceous rosemary, with its green, menthol aspect. And, a chaparral, some might say garrigue, aura, with its motley assemblage of sagebrush, cypress, juniper and sage, infuses its pungently aromatic and slightly foul, skunk-like aspect. A whisper of resinous pine flutters about. Segueing to the enhancing base, lively black pepper, with its tingling, woody spiciness, commingles with a smooth sandalwood and a dank, earthy, oakmoss. A stock drydown ensues. Albeit there is no doubt that quality ingredients were used, this composition is nonetheless stale. It definitely leans to the masculine side, and has average projection and longevity.