Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Eau Sauvage Parfum - Frighteningly Beautiful !!!!!

This has just been released here in France.
    I hope my description of it will be of some help to you.

First and foremost, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EAU SAUVAGE. NOTHING.
    When you first spray it you will get a five second blast of something incredibly beautiful and vaguely reminiscent of Eau Sauvage, but this gone before you even have time to make a comparison.
    This is a beautiful,beautiful juice...........but Dior got the marketing totally wrong !!!
    This should have been launched as part of their boutique series of colognes.
    This is the twin brother of Eau Noire....although this is not similar to Eau Noire, it shares the same simple structure as E.N. and the same fantanstic silliage and longtivity, (2 sprays/72 hours/2 showers and still detectable on my forearm !)
    The strong dominant, but very smooth myrrhe note contains a weird vibe which I can only describe as a " McVitie´s rich tea biscuit/ digestive biscuit" note, that actually works much better than it sounds. After the initial, shocking transformation of this extrait it remains very constant and unchanging in the same way that Eau Noire does. Although different from E. N., this is very compatible, and I am sure could be easily blended and layered with E.N. and the other colognes from the boutique series.
    Although shocked by my initial experiences with Eau Sauvage Parfum I am now very much in love with this beautiful creation.

Dependent

Default Re: Eau Sauvage Parfum - Frighteningly Beautiful !!!!!

Thanks for your impressions! So how dominant is this vanilla/cookie accord ?

Dependent

Great now I have another fragrance on my "to sniff" list. With that kind of longevity, it might well shift to my "to buy" list as well! Thanks for the review
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Really looking forward to acquiring this.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Thanks for your impressions! So how dominant is this vanilla/cookie accord ?
    The accord is for my nose quite dominant and consistent throughout, although I would not describe it as vanilla cookie - just cookie. Some people may not even make the "rich tea biscuit" connection. I do also get a sweet rubber vibe from the myrrhe.

Looking forward to see and smell it soon in Poland, hopefully it arrives here...

Thanks for sharing, now I know what I ought to be testing next time I visit Douglas.

I´m sure that anyone who is a fan of Eau Noire will love this incredible "potion". It has the same distinctive sweet herbal qualities as E.N.
    ........but I think fans of the classic Eau Sauvage will be bitterly disappointed.

Basenotes Institution

Mmmmmmm, sounds deliciously good. Thank you for your impressions. I hope the extrait will be available in the US.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Mmmmmmm, sounds deliciously good. Thank you for your impressions. I hope the extrait will be available in the US.
    Hmm, hmm? I am so curious ... next thing is to start looking for a review with google. This could be another suitable men fragrance for women. You got me curious with the biscotte-vanilla aroma ...
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Interesting. But, you compare it to Eau Noire.
    I hope ES doesn't have the nasty immortelle
    note as EN does?! Please tell me it doesn't!

This sounds beautiful. Just gone to the front of my wishlist!
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to read some positive reviews on this. I've had my bottle since yesterday and I've already gotten a compliment. I just hope is stays around for a while. I get turned off by scents that are meant to disappear one day. It makes me not want to get attached to them.

I am surprised Dior didn't consult you before they launched it !

Thanks for sharing your impression. Even I'm fan of the classic Eau Sauvage, this new version is the number one on my wishlist.

I immediately did a google shopping search for it, and found no results. Where can it be found for sale online?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I immediately did a google shopping search for it, and found no results. Where can it be found for sale online?
    Dior.com will start selling it at the end of this month. Meantime you can go on their website and enter your email address so that they can alert you the minute it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Dior.com will start selling it at the end of this month. Meantime you can go on their website and enter your email address so that they can alert you the minute it happens.
    I'm in. Thank you, BNers. Another example of why I love this site so much.

Dependent

Saw this at my local Sephora today by surprise. $84 for the 3.4oz and I was so tempted to blind buy. But I held off and instead just bought one frag. In hindsight, maybe I should've gotten it??
    "The most beautiful sea hasn’t been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasn’t grown up yet. The most beautiful days we haven’t seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I haven’t said yet…"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

Interested, is Oak Moss (Evernia Prunastri) listed on the box? Just curious...
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
    This has just been released here in France.
    I hope my description of it will be of some help to you.

First and foremost, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EAU SAUVAGE. NOTHING.
    When you first spray it you will get a five second blast of something incredibly beautiful and vaguely reminiscent of Eau Sauvage, but this gone before you even have time to make a comparison.
    This is a beautiful,beautiful juice...........but Dior got the marketing totally wrong !!!
    This should have been launched as part of their boutique series of colognes.
    This is the twin brother of Eau Noire....although this is not similar to Eau Noire, it shares the same simple structure as E.N. and the same fantanstic silliage and longtivity, (2 sprays/72 hours/2 showers and still detectable on my forearm !)
    The strong dominant, but very smooth myrrhe note contains a weird vibe which I can only describe as a " McVitie´s rich tea biscuit/ digestive biscuit" note, that actually works much better than it sounds. After the initial, shocking transformation of this extrait it remains very constant and unchanging in the same way that Eau Noire does. Although different from E. N., this is very compatible, and I am sure could be easily blended and layered with E.N. and the other colognes from the boutique series.
    Although shocked by my initial experiences with Eau Sauvage Parfum I am now very much in love with this beautiful creation.
    I'm a bit shocked to be honest! You have McVitie's rich tea biscuits in France??
    Last edited by morrison74; 19th May 2012 at 08:57 AM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Banned

Sounds interesting, indeed. Thanks for the heads up !

Its not going to be released here from what I was told at the counters last week.

I hope this is available in selfridges when I go later today!

Makes a stunning bottle with the green juice inside.

Frighteningly Beautiful!!
    (Now that's what I like to hear)
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I'm frightened by the McVitie's biscuit vibe...

There is at least one more thread for Eau Sauvage Parfum, where people comment on their impressions.

Worst thing I've tried in a long time, but to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I tested this the other day. It has been in Texas for a about a week. I was dissappointed only in the sense that I was hoping for a stronger version of the original, but I actually liked the frangrance. I always find it confusing when a house issues new products using the name of older established successes.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Yeah biscuits and myrrh with a little ES on top sounds kind of annoying

Biscuits don't frighten me at all.

I eat biscuits for breakfast.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had this for a week or so. I've never tried the tea biscuits referenced, so I can't comment there. However what I do get in the base is a slightly sweet, slightly powdery, almost barbershop kind of scent. It's funny, because in my review, I wrote that this has as much in common with Eau Savage as Fahrenheit has with Fahrenheit Absolute. The irony in that statement is that now that I think about it, the base in Eau Savage Parfum is somewhat similar to the base in Fahrenheit Absolute. The myrrh is the major player in both fragrances, at least in the base. Obviously ESP doesn't have oud in it like FA does, but they are sort of distant cousins. I happen to like FA, and I also like ESP quite a bit. I've worn nothing else for a week, and I'm not sick of it at all.

This is available in Sephora in the US for $85 for 100ml.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    I eat biscuits for breakfast.
    i think he meant biscuit in the british sense, what we in the states call "cookies." for all i know, aussies call em "wallabites"

I too tried this the other day @ Sephora, and I really liked it! I do agree too that it has very little in common with the original Eau Savage. But for me it is just a little too sweet.... I will have to give it another try to see if it is worth adding to my wardrobe...

Has this landed in the UK yet?
    If so, where?

i think he meant biscuit in the british sense, what we in the states call "cookies." for all i know, aussies call em "wallabites"
    Ha ha. As in the Australian sense please MonkeyBars!

Tried it at sephora. It doesn't smell like Eau sauvage that much but just a little. I didn't like it at all.

Well, I do find that it shares its DNA with the original ES EDT.

What has been achieved here is unique, not sure I like it. It smells like 2 fragrances layered together, Eau Sauvage with fougère clothes. It smells good but goes in 2 opposite directions at the same time: the classic, undomesticated, lemony and bitter (chypre) eau de cologne (the original Eau Sauvage) plus the urban, poised and well behaved office fougère. A sort of frankenscent.

Just spotted in Sephora Bahrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    Well, I do find that it shares its DNA with the original ES EDT.

What has been achieved here is unique, not sure I like it. It smells like 2 fragrances layered together, Eau Sauvage with fougère clothes. It smells good but goes in 2 opposite directions at the same time: the classic, undomesticated, lemony and bitter (chypre) eau de cologne (the original Eau Sauvage) plus the urban, poised and well behaved office fougère. A sort of frankenscent.
    I agree. The ES pedigree is there throughout its performance. But it’s Eau Sauvage in a romantic, rather than preppy, mode. Eau Sauvage marries Dior Homme. The opening is brilliantly fresh - the trademark citrus brightened further with ramped up greens. There’s an undercurrent of sweet Diorella here that signals its intentions. Once dry down begins, what others are calling its “bisquite” note I’m reading as Dior Homme’s lipstick. That’s how it performs on my skin - a more refined ES slowly, ineluctably, moving toward Dior Homme, where it lingers for some time before moving on to the base and where the grass returns. Yes, it’s beautiful, and like the original smells like nothing else.

$85. at Sephora.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    There is at least one more thread for Eau Sauvage Parfum, where people comment on their impressions.
    Please can you tell me the title of the thread. I did a search before starting my thread, but couldn´t find anything - apart from one with a pic of the bottle and nobody had reviewed on that particular thread.

Update :
    The more I try this perfume, the more I love it and think it has everything to do with the Dior boutique range of colognes - and nothing at all to do with Eau Sauvage.
    By the way, the owner of the perfumery where I bought it hates it, (says it stinks !)

Yeah biscuits and myrrh with a little ES on top sounds kind of annoying
    I think most people will translate the dominant myrrh note as sweet rubber rather than McVitie´s.
    The vague E.S. on top is gone within the first few minutes.......

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
    Update :
    The more I try this perfume, the more I love it and think it has everything to do with the Dior boutique range of colognes - and nothing at all to do with Eau Sauvage.
    By the way, the owner of the perfumery where I bought it hates it, (says it stinks !)
    I tested it all today and I have to agree with the perfumery shop owner, I didn't enjoy it either. I usually like myrrhe (similar to note in fahrenheit absolute) but this do smell like biscuit.

I tried it today - am I am so disappointed. Just another flat sweet, somewhat musty smell. Where is the freshness, the elegance, the chic of French perfumery? After they changed and castrated the original Eau Sauvage to death so that it has no impact and no balls any more, LVMH really have the courage to put this weakling on the market - I can't believe it. What has the world come to? France is no longer what it used to be, hélas! (The bottle and the green colour of the juice are beautiful, though, and longevity is awesome - much too long for my taste.)

Aeons better in my opinion are Terre d'Hermès parfum and the eternal classic Knize Ten. What a difference! TdH is wonderful and classy but a wee bit too quiet. Knize, on the other hand, is glorious, mellow, generous, unparalleled, a gent's smell.
    Last edited by Luis; 23rd May 2012 at 07:54 AM.

A 'McVitie's biscuit' note sounds like my cup of tea.
    Last edited by morrison74; 22nd May 2012 at 12:30 AM.

Wanted

Eau Sauvage with fougère clothes. It smells good but goes in 2 opposite directions at the same time: the classic, undomesticated, lemony and bitter (chypre) eau de cologne (the original Eau Sauvage) plus the urban, poised and well behaved office fougère.
    A poised and well behaved office fougère? Sounds interesting, I still have to try it.
    Just out of curiosity, here's an advertisement for the original

Basenotes Institution

I smell a biscuit note in Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I like myrrh, I like biscuits; I'm intrigued.

I tested this the other day. It has been in Texas for a about a week. I was dissappointed only in the sense that I was hoping for a stronger version of the original, but I actually liked the frangrance. I always find it confusing when a house issues new products using the name of older established successes. Thanks friends for showing your kind attitudes. You are the BEST!

Does this new "Eau Sauvage parfum" feature the difficult "cumin-ish" note I disliked in Fahrenheit Absolute ??

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I've had this for a week or so. I've never tried the tea biscuits referenced, so I can't comment there. However what I do get in the base is a slightly sweet, slightly powdery, almost barbershop kind of scent. It's funny, because in my review, I wrote that this has as much in common with Eau Savage as Fahrenheit has with Fahrenheit Absolute. The irony in that statement is that now that I think about it, the base in Eau Savage Parfum is somewhat similar to the base in Fahrenheit Absolute. The myrrh is the major player in both fragrances, at least in the base. Obviously ESP doesn't have oud in it like FA does, but they are sort of distant cousins. I happen to like FA, and I also like ESP quite a bit. I've worn nothing else for a week, and I'm not sick of it at all.

This is available in Sephora in the US for $85 for 100ml.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Does this new "Eau Sauvage parfum" feature the difficult "cumin-ish" note I disliked in Fahrenheit Absolute ??
    The "cumin-ish" note is the oud, no? Or are you talking about something in addition to the oud? Either way, ESP doesn't have that note.

I have tested E.S.Parfum and Eau Noire parallel and find a lot of similarities between them. The drydown of ESP has more of a lime trace and the drydown of EN has more of a vanilla trace.

I tried this yesterday in sephora and actually was surprised that I liked it. I don't like the original in the slightest and I smelled very little similarity between the two. I guess maybe it's there is the base or something but I never got past the first sniff of the original to know what it's like when it gets past the opening. Got a sample and will be test driving it some time this week. Kept the paper sample all day and loved every stage of it.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Is this available in the UK yet? Can I buy online from a UK source?

I picked up a sample at my local Sephora yesterday,, as I've been a fan of the Original and the Extreme for years. I actually really do like this, but I don't think it needed to be called Eau Sauvage at all. I think being a Dior fragrance, it would have merited a new name.

I agree with the above poster, it does smell to an extent, that Eau Sauvage and Dior Homme had been married and created this fragrance. I was never a large fan of the Dior Homme, but I rather like this as I put it on today and wore it. After 12 hours I still am getting whiffs here and there, whereas the original Eau Sauvage was gone within a few hours...

I really was hoping for a long lasting 'back to the original' Eau Sauvage to be honest.. But I like this.

...It smells like 2 fragrances layered together, Eau Sauvage with fougère clothes. It smells good but goes in 2 opposite directions at the same time: the classic, undomesticated, lemony and bitter (chypre) eau de cologne (the original Eau Sauvage) plus the urban, poised and well behaved office fougère. A sort of frankenscent.
    Tried it last night at Duty Free, and I have to agree, 'frankenscent' is what this is.

You get that trendy lime/mojito accord up top, with lots of herbal greenery, then it smells like a classic, late-70s aromatic fougère, and then, for some reason, a giant, lumbering vetiver base takes center stage - sort of like the one used in Terre de Hermes; this morning I'm smelling a slightly oriental myrrh.

Confused yet? I am.

I don't get the Eau Noire connection at all, or any connection to the original ES. It smells a bit like the last 40 years of men's fragrance trends all rolled up into one. The only thing missing is oud.

The materials used smell very good.

I think it would be nice if more guys wore this than the usual Sephora trash, but this is nothing I'm going to run out and buy.

Could make a great shower gel.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 23rd May 2012 at 10:00 PM.