Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New here, looking for advice for new fragrance

Hi everybody, I found BN by pure luck(looking for the notes in Chanel Platinum Egoiste) and what I've seen so far has literally blown my mind. As the title says, I'm a complete newbie and I'm looking for a new fragrance. When I first started using brand EDTs, I bought CH CHIC for Men following the advice of a distant female interest. I loved it and have been using it ever since. I have received(a gift) CH Aqua set, the aftershave of which I still use(and strangely enough get more compliments from guys), as well as samples of 1 million and the abovementioned Chanel. However... Recently when I bought my new CHIC bottle I sampled it first and found it to be too... fruity? I can't really describe it, since my nose is terrible, but it seemed to me it didn't have the stronger character it used to have six years ago. It seemed too casual. Maybe it's me, I have changed and I'm nearing the terryfying 30th year. But I found myself looking for a fragrance with more classiness, something to be worn to impress both me and the fair half of humanity, something for dates or clubs, a fragrance that will set me apart from the legions of Aqua di Gio and Hugo Boss wearers. I will be wearing it in humid warm weather(Canary Islands, never gets below 15 C). So this is basically a cry for help from the informed posters.

During the last day or so that I have spent lurk-reading threads and reviews here, one fragrance's name has been repeated over and over again - Aventus. I was initially shocked by the retail price, considering I will be buying blind, but have found that it's possible to get a split, so it's still on the list. I have also seen very good reviews on Angel for Men. Testing is basically out of the question unless the brand is very mainstream(Hugo boss, Lacoste, CH, YSL, Chanel). Suffice to say I had never before seen or heard of Creed or any of the Japanese brands.

So, to come back to the question, what fragrance would you reccommend? Thank you all for your kind answers and I'll try to answer any clarifying questions that might arise.

Edit: Pardon my quite unclear initial post, it was made in a state of severe sleep deprivation, so evidently I did not manage to convey what I am looking for. I like CHIC, the opening and middle notes are very good, though not so lasting, but perhaps I've gotten too used to it and associate it with casual and everyday usage. Turns out I own Boss in motion as well(another gift most probably) and after a test spray I remembered why I don't use it - it feels artificial and citric and reminds me of something used to clean windows. I suppose what I am looking for is something different, maybe heavier, more... manly and dominating, while at the same time not too common, which is why I don't want to go Armani or Boss or some other designer EDT. This is what sent me in the direction of the Creed family and fragrances like A*Men, they are virtually uheard of around here. Tomorrow I'll try to find out what brands are locally available(since today everything's closed) and hopefully it won't be just designer fragrances. And even if it turns out I'm limited in my retail options locally, well, that's why Al Gore invented the internet The only problem would be transport, but after importing a functional sword replica from the USA I don't think a bottle of perfume will pose that much of a challenge.

I will update ASAP and for the time being thank you for the warm welcome and swift responses
    Last edited by torongill; 20th May 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New here, looking for advice for new fragrance

Welcome to Basenotes.

Your nose is probably not mistaken. Sadly perfumers reformulate perfumes over time and the result is usually weaker, crowd pleaser-type or both.

If you are in the Canary Islands you may be restricted to designer perfumes unless you inform us that you have access to niche.

Blind buying is always difficult at first.

Look into Le Labo (there are splits too).

Based on the above I'd suggest Vetiver 46, Rose 31, Patchouli 24, Bergamote 22.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Spicebomb if available.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on Prada Infusion D'Homme, it smells clean and crisp: neroli, iris, vetiver, cedarwood, incense and benzoin.

For something sweeter and more unusual, Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens, with notes of pine, mint, frankincense, clove, cinnamon, amber

A casual scent for going out, Avant - Garde by Lanvin, with notes of bergamot, lavender, musk, vanilla, amber, tobacco, vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

Azzaro Onyx or Silver Black (another name used in Europe) is a compliment getter and it might be what you're looking for. Longevity and sillage are quite good.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Aventus is one you will certainly want to try, but be forewarned that it does have a fruity element to it. I'm not sure if it's the fruitiness of CH you object to specifically or just fruity fragrances in general, but regardless of what anyone else says it's not as masculine a scent as some would lead you to believe. I've had multiple girls tell me that it smells like something they would wear. That being said, certainly give it a try as it is well-worth the effort in tracking down

If you'd like to try another Creed, Green Irish Tweed would certainly be one to go with but if you're trying to distance yourself from others, this may not be the first one to try as it may get mistaken for Cool Water to a less discerning nose.

If you're looking for a more mature fragrance that exudes classiness like Platinum Egoiste that a 30-year old could easily wear out, look into:

Azzaro Pour Homme (some argue one of the greatest masculine scents ever made)
    Burberry London
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Terre D'Hermes
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Herrera For Men
    John Varvatos
    YSL La Nuit
    YSL Rive Gauche

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    Aventus is one you will certainly want to try, but be forewarned that it does have a fruity element to it. I'm not sure if it's the fruitiness of CH you object to specifically or just fruity fragrances in general, but regardless of what anyone else says it's not as masculine a scent as some would lead you to believe. I've had multiple girls tell me that it smells like something they would wear. That being said, certainly give it a try as it is well-worth the effort in tracking down

If you'd like to try another Creed, Green Irish Tweed would certainly be one to go with but if you're trying to distance yourself from others, this may not be the first one to try as it may get mistaken for Cool Water to a less discerning nose.

If you're looking for a more mature fragrance that exudes classiness like Platinum Egoiste that a 30-year old could easily wear out, look into:

Azzaro Pour Homme (some argue one of the greatest masculine scents ever made)
    Burberry London
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Terre D'Hermes
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Herrera For Men
    John Varvatos
    YSL La Nuit
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Thank you for the response I'm not really sure I'm against the fruity notes per se, but maybe the association of CHIC with everyday and casual usage. I must confess I am completely new to this world of fragrances, I used to wear whatever I was given as a gift, but... I guess I'd rather follow the rabbit down the hole and see what happens. Will try to find some of the suggestions tomorrow. Until then, thanks to all of you for helping the new guy

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Try:

A*Men Le Gout du Parfum/Taste of Fragrance (Pure Chili) - Here is a flanker to the original A*Men, wherein an enhancer, in this case chili or red pepper concentrate, is added to the mix to exalt the original's notes, to wit, the versatility of the patchouli and the richness of the coffee. I might add that it is done superbly.
    Initially, one is treated to a somewhat mellow, yet familiar, cherry-vanillic, medicinal scent from the interplay of bittersweet bergamot, refreshing spearmint, fresh lavender, the nutty woodiness of coriander and magical, creamy tonka bean. A warm and smooth spiciness from the chili/red pepper showers the melange with its facets. Transitioning to the heart, aromatic patchouli releases its sweetish cocoa character, commingling with the tart fruitiness of pink pepper, as well as the creamy and sweet woodiness of Virginia cedar. Resultantly, a lovely, bittersweet chocolate plays with the spiciness of the chili/red pepper. A faint undercurrent of coffee brews and carries the melange to the base. Here, the rich, roasted coffee comes into its own and combines with the mystical, sweetly woody vanilla, capturing an extraordinary, cafe mocha aura, while a faint soapiness of musk flitters about. An alluring drydown ensues. This unique and masculine scent have average projection, 2-hour scent cloud, then becoming a skin scent, and average, 7-8 hours, longevity. A truly distinctive composition that can be enjoyed all year round.

&

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - This is a considerably toned down version of the original, masterpiece Fahrenheit. No negative connotation is implied or should be taken; rather, this is a distinctive composition, somewhat bright and fresh, with ties to the original.
    Initially, one is treated to a blast of sparkling grapefruit, with its sour greenness, tempered by a hint of sweetness from the mandarin. This invigorating, citrus melange is drawn to the heart by a nascent mint. Here, in the heart, the cool spearmint comes into its own with its sweet, green facets, and commingles with violet leaf, with its intense freshness and a hint of cucumber. Basil infuses the refreshing blend with a lively dusting of its lemon-like, savory herb. A very faint undercurrent of petro/gasoline can be sensed. Transitioning to the base, a rather ordinary, woods accord presents, and interplays with a light, almost airy, Haitian vetiver as well as a subtle leather. A placid drydown ensues. This high-quality composition is bright and fresh, and should prove to be very versatile. Having average projection and longevity, this scent will, indeed, shine in the spring, summer and fall.

&

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estee Lauder - Upon application, one is treated to a salt water and fruity melange. I suspect Eden's Mist is calone with its watery, marine and ozone accord furnishing a delightful, fresh, seashore apparition. Fruitiness of ripened melons and somewhat medicinal cucumber is provided by the Brazilian jabuticaba, while South African buchu leaves impart their rain forest vibe with their lush and woody aspects as well as a faint mintiness. This refreshing opening drifts to the waiting middle. Here, in the heart, herbaceous lavender, with its inherent freshness, a mediterranean accord of earth and sweet cistus as well as vivacious herbs overhaul the blend. Balsamic sage along with verdurous tarragon, with its licorice and lemon vibe, as well as lemony and woody thyme wonderfully interplay. The strong base usurps this bracing mix. Old and weather-beaten beachwood, green and grassy vetiver, minty and muddy patchouli, earthy and foresty oakmoss as well as light and spicy melaleuca bark, all bestow their sensuous character. A fascinating drydown ensues. This impressive and manly composition has good projection and very good longevity.

&

Post Thanks / Like

So the preliminary report is ready:

I managed to sample the following:

YSL La Nuit, both EDT and EDP
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Dior Aqua Fahrenheit
    CH for Men
    Azzaro Por Homme
    A*Men
    A*Men summer
    Gucci Por Homme

Creed is unavailable, in fact they had no idea what I was talking about. The assistant thought I was talking about something by CK
    Hermes has apparently been discontinued due to low sales.
    I was advised to look for Beyond Paradise in a duty-free shop at the airport.
    Burberry London has been discontinued, only the female scent was available and the female jury pronounced it very good and will consider buying it for herself
    No John Varvatos

Right now I'm leaning towards YSL La Nuit Perfume and Aqua Fahrenheit. I couldn't sample the original Fahrenheit, maybe I'll do it when I go back to the mall for skin testing. I couldn't really put it in definite terms what exactly I like or don't like for the majority of the other fragrances, mostly because right now I couldn't tell the difference between a rose and a diesel truck
    Nevertheless, here are some notes:
    A*Men is sweeet. Maybe a little too much. Compared to the others it seems to have been the inspiration for "Chocolate Love" I might buy a small bottle for *ahem*very special occasions, but not right now. The summer edition is weak, unremarkable and definitely not what I'm looking for.
    CH for Men: found it to be overpowering initially, drying down to what reminds me of summer savory a definite no-no.
    YSL Rive Gauche is great, but cannot provide the same intensity as La Nuit Le Perfume. I have dryish skin and have found that even in high humidity most EDTs just disappear too soon.
    Azzaro Por Homme is just not my type. It's definitely masculine, but too... I don't know, aftershavish? I'll smell it again a bit later, but my initial reaction(compounded of course by the residue of previous fragrances) was that it was too clean and lacking in subtlety. But as I promised, I'll give it another test.

I'm still going to buy a split of Aventus, but my immediate task is zeroing on the one available to me locally. For the time being looks like YSL La Nuit. Thank you all for your very informative answers. I just have one, okay two more questions. What would you reccommend to diminish the saturation effect when sampling multiple fragrances and second, is there a way to sharpen my sense of smell so that I could describe and tell more effectively the different scents? Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that the majority of fragrances that are being recommended are ones that are readily available online and in certain dept stores but may not be available everywhere. You'll probably have a difficult time tracking down Creeds and Hermes unless you go to a very high end dept store and even then, only a specific few have Creed. The other ones you'll have to keep looking around or order samples online in order to try

La Nuit is a great one for sure, but isn't ideal for frequent use, it's more of a special occasion/going out frag in my book. Next time you go out there, just sample whatever you can that's available to you rather than only looking to try specifically what was suggested to you, you may discover something you like that others may not be as familiar with.

In answer to your questions, it helps if you bring a book with you when sampling so you can put the test cards in between various pages so they aren't touching and contaminating each other. You can also bring a number of ziplock bags to put the samples in. This allows you to smell them several hours later to make sure it's not just the topnotes that you like. Smell coffee in between samples to clear your nose

And the only way to effectively describe different scents is just to keep smelling a variety of things until you are able to better differentiate between them. It helps to read a number of the reviews where more experienced posters point out specific notes so you'll have a better idea of what to look for when you try them yourself

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that the majority of fragrances that are being recommended are ones that are readily available online and in certain dept stores but may not be available everywhere. You'll probably have a difficult time tracking down Creeds and Hermes unless you go to a very high end dept store and even then, only a specific few have Creed. The other ones you'll have to keep looking around or order samples online in order to try.
    I went to the largest Departmen store here, it's called El Corte Ingles and frankly I didn't expect them to have so many of the brands. What surprised me was the fact that they had no idea about some of the brands. But whatever, the mission was accomplished.

La Nuit is a great one for sure, but isn't ideal for frequent use, it's more of a special occasion/going out frag in my book. Next time you go out there, just sample whatever you can that's available to you rather than only looking to try specifically what was suggested to you, you may discover something you like that others may not be as familiar with.
    This is exactly what I'm looking for CHIC works for everyday usage, plus I don't wear perfume frequently, so it's okay. And I will follow your advice, whenever I can manage to devote some free time to it. Right now I'm swamped with work, gym, studying and salsa classes.