Code of Conduct

Default Absolue Pour le Soir Maison Francis Kurkdjian similar to Tom Ford Amber Absolute?

I've been reading up on this and there seems to be a similarity between the two. Is the difference enough to justify owning both (I already have AA) or does having one make the other redundant?

Banned

Default Re: Absolue Pour le Soir Maison Francis Kurkdjian similar to Tom Ford Amber Absolute?

I do not see the similarity that you are speaking about. Whereas Amber Absolute is a rich, sweet, smoky amber and incensey scent, APlS could hardly be described as such:

Absolue Pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Upon application, one will be taken aback - no negative implication meant - by the animalic accord, which is usually experienced later on in most dirty scents. This awesome, dark sensuality is afforded by the civet, with its carnal, halitosis and fecal facets, cumin, with its sweat and urine character, as well as benzoin with its sweet, vanillic smokiness with a hint of powder. An arousing, dirty underwear aura romps to the awaiting heart. Here, in the metamorphic middle, a deliciously seductive, red rose with fruity glimmers and a cabernet-like facet envelops the wondrous, sensuous opening into its floral shelter, aided by ylang ylang which contributes its floral, licorice powderiness. A delightful honey intermingles with this enchanting blend and imparts its enticing sweetness, while exotic incense showers the rapturous mix with its warm spiciness. Transitioning to the waiting base, rich atlas cedarwood, with its balsamic and slightly camphoraceous and leathery aspects commingles with the softly sweet and creamy sandalwood. This entrancing marriage meanders to an alluring drydown. This splendid composition has good projection and longevity.

I see no redundancy at all.

Default Re: Absolue Pour le Soir Maison Francis Kurkdjian similar to Tom Ford Amber Absolute?

No similarity for me either. Absolue Pour le Soir is a much more complex and intriguing scent.

Don't find these two close at all.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Nor for me either.

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered a sample of Absolue pour le Soir. I'm always cautious when people say that two fragrances are similar. Glad to hear that it isn't the case here. Looking forward to my sample arriving.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I've ordered a sample of Absolue pour le Soir. I'm always cautious when people say that two fragrances are similar. Glad to hear that it isn't the case here. Looking forward to my sample arriving.
    I'll be curious to see what you think. Absolue pour le soir is a love or hate frag, no middle ground on this one. Of course, I'm a lover of the scent.

Different as day and night.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Different as day and night.
    That's what I get for looking over at Fragrantica on the 'similar to' section! 4 votes for AA being similar to APLS. Very interested to sample as I think it's going to be right up my street.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    That's what I get for looking over at Fragrantica on the 'similar to' section! 4 votes for AA being similar to APLS. Very interested to sample as I think it's going to be right up my street.
    I try to 'fix' those when I see them. Too many too many unrelated suggestions lol.

for swap/sale:

I don't see much relationship between the two, either. I do love APLS.

I find one similarity between the two and it is that I do not care for either.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

The incense note is similar, so the mid-notes do have similarities. But they go off in different directions, one being thick and resinous then sweet and the other being dirty, sweaty then honeyed sweetness.

Differences between the two are exaggerated. They do have extremely similar hearts. I own both and they do converge for many hours. amber Absolute is more of a crowd-pleaser than its skanky non-fraternal twin.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    The incense note is similar, so the mid-notes do have similarities. But they go off in different directions, one being thick and resinous then sweet and the other being dirty, sweaty then honeyed sweetness.

Completely different in virtually all aspects. I own (and love) both, and they couldn't be further removed.

AA seems to get paired up with all kinds of stuff lately, but the only scent I've run across that has even a passing resemblance to it is Armani's Ambre Orient.

I guess I am in the extreme minority on this one. I definitely see similarities at certain points in their development. Actually, not just similarities, very identical aspects at certain times.

They both have a bunch of benzoin and a note of frankincense. It's not far-fetched to find a similarity between them.