Code of Conduct

Default So I Met Andy Tauer The Other Day...

On Thursday afternoon, Andy Tauer and Brian Pera just happened to be checking out the local perfume shop that I frequent. I recognized Andy Tauer immediately but was in a state of disbelief for a few minutes. I was introduced to Brian by a friend of mine who works there and we ended up chatting for a bit. Then I sort of fell into a conversation with Andy and we ended up talking non-stop for about an hour and a half before I had to rush to an appointment. Among other things, I spoke with him about the fragrance industry's relationship with their consumers; the influence of Luca Turin's book (Perfumes: The A-Z Guide) in general and on his line specifically; the necessity of samples; the booming Italian niche fragrance market; and about his experience becoming a perfumer without having any formal training (his advice to me was to mix a little rose and sandalwood and see what happens). One thing that stuck out: I asked him which of his perfumes he fancied the most and that prompted a whole discussion about the process of creating fragrances and ever-evolving tastes. I used the analogy of an artist looking back at his older paintings, which he found fitting. Overall, it was a great experience; he was incredibly engaging and interesting, and he had some fascinating things to say—it was truly an honor to meet him.

This meeting also prompted me to bump a few of his perfumes to the top of my 'To Buy' list. Lonestar Memories is next!

Anyway, exciting stuff, eh? None of my friends are interested in this kind of thing so I haven't really had a chance to tell anyone and the people that I do tell have no idea who Andy Tauer is or why it's "cool" to meet a perfumer. Yay for basenotes!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So I Met Andy Tauer The Other Day...

What a great chance meeting! Sounds like Andy enjoyed it too.

Blog Entries

@ andregooren - from one Andy Tauer Fan to another -

I don't know whether you are aware of his blog: www.tauerperfumes.com/blog where Mr. Tauer freely shares his developments with the readers. After I found this blog, I went backwards into the archives and it took me two days to read all, and after that, I was hooked.

No need to recommend to you the Discovery Set ?

Cheers.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Basenotes Plus

ANDYYYYYYYY!!! How cool was that! Thanks for sharing. My friends wouldn't care less, either, but we sure do here.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

@Ursula One of the first things I did when I got home that night was poke around on his website for more information on the Tableau de Parfums project (which I either had not heard about or had not committed to memory) and that's when I stumbled across his blog. I have read several pages worth already. It's fascinating to get a look inside of the creative process and hear a perfumer talk about perfume from the heart as opposed to merely regurgitating cheap lines from the marketing department. It's a completely unadulterated view into the mind of an artist. And I just ordered the discovery set yesterday. I'll be making my first official Tauer purchase next week!

@ knit at nite So cool, right! Such a nice guy. He is the first (professional) perfumer I have ever met so it was a big deal to me. On the way home I started thinking about micro-celebrity and how odd that whole concept is. Here's this guy who is just renowned, respected, well-known, etc. in one circle yet 99% of people would just walk past him and have no idea who he is. You see that with indie bands too. I suppose he is used to it and, of course, is probably recognized more often than not because of the places he chooses to visit and frequent, but still...weird concept.

What an interesting encounter it must have been! From his blog, he seems a really exceptional person, always so informative.

I gave a donation to the Brian Pera movie, so I am waiting to get the tableau samples sometimes later in the summer. As a part of the contribution, I also get a perfume - I'm still choosing which one. I own AdDM and LM, was thinking to get Incense Rose. I also got a sample set, but for some reason none of the newer set does much for me.

cacio

summer means fireflys

Oh how cool! Andy seems so nice, so genuine. If you are on Facebook, try to befriend him ... He has the coolest posts and always is posting little sketches he does. He's very talented in more than one way!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    What an interesting encounter it must have been! From his blog, he seems a really exceptional person, always so informative.

I gave a donation to the Brian Pera movie, so I am waiting to get the tableau samples sometimes later in the summer. As a part of the contribution, I also get a perfume - I'm still choosing which one. I own AdDM and LM, was thinking to get Incense Rose. I also got a sample set, but for some reason none of the newer set does much for me.

cacio
    Those are the two that I plan on purchasing (LADDM & LM). Our tastes are so similar...it's great! I really enjoyed Incense Rosé and Incense Extrême and I believe I recently tried Orange Star and found it pleasant (can't remember if it was Orange Star, it was something of his and that sounds the most likely. Lately he seems to have veered more toward florals and some lighter fragrances, which I'm sure are great but they're not really for me. By the way, I brought this up a while ago, but I get a definite Coromandel vibe from L'Air du Désert Marocain, at least for the first 20 or so minutes. Also, on the subject of Tauers, I have always felt there was a ceratin kinship between Patchouli 24 by Le Labo and Lonestar Memories.

Thanks for sharing your story.
    I met Andy at an event at that perfume store MiN a couple of months back, he's a fascinating guy. He sprayed some of his Miriam perfume (an old school aldehydic wonder) on a scent strip for me. I can't wait to see Brian Pera's film.

Patch 24 and Lonestar memories certainly both fall under the category of "explosion at chemical factory".

The latest perfumes are actually quite strong too. To my nose, orange star and rose chypree are dominated by a dry, flinty, spicy Tauerade that's almost overwhelming. And the supposed lily of the valley, Carrillon pour un ange, is definitely not cherubic.

cacio

Always great to hear about members meeting the people whose stuff we so freely discuss and wear. It adds another dimension to the whole experience for me, especially if you get on a roll talking about the process and individual works. Andy Tauer seems like such an open and approachable guy - nice one.

Blog Entries

It is strange about the Tauer scents that I have tried: L'air du desert marocain, Orange Star, Incense Rose, Une Rose Chypree, Une Rose Vermeille, Eau d'Epices ... all of them have a strength that I was not used to ... I would recognize them as "Tauers" by their particularity of which I am immensely fond of. It seems like "the real thing" or "you get what you see" or something wholesome ... I can't explain it. Maybe they just go well with my skin, at least the above-mentioned ones.

I have heard disgusted comments about Lone Star Memories. Perhaps the leather note was too strong for that member.

As far as Miriam, there could be a new classic in the making. It has many followers already, by word of mouth.

What I like about "tauerville" is that - at this scale of manufacture - Mr. Tauer is not hampered by corporate restrictions and can let flow his genius imagination and create scents in peace.

Wow, I am so envious of you! Andy is one of my perfume heros. I fell in love with his line a couple of years ago and wear Lonestar Memories fairly regularly - among other things. Besides simply loving his creations, he truly IS the nicest and most genuine person I've ever met (only through emails), which only makes me like the product more. He seems to be quite fond of Joshua Tree National Park and I've been tempted to make a cross country drive but something about that is just inappropriate so I sit here and simply admire someone who inspires folks all over the world through his perfumes and his personality. And I put my collection of Tauer (there's a lot more than just LM) right up next to my Guerlain!
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

What a wonderful encounter!

What a good story! He seems like a genuinely nice and interesting guy and his perfumes are quite special (I finally got my LADDM last week).

He's a refreshing contrast to some of the pompousness and self-importance that thrives in the perfume world, for example the Clive Christian weirdness that people were posting about recently!

Quote Originally Posted by andregooren View Post
    On Thursday afternoon, Andy Tauer and Brian Pera just happened to be checking out the local perfume shop that I frequent. I recognized Andy Tauer immediately but was in a state of disbelief for a few minutes.
    Jeeze, you must have stopped by just after I left, because I met the both of them there on Thursday too !

I was there visiting Kat, to show her some of the peonies I had hybridized (maybe you saw them in that vase by the check-out counter ?) and absolutely could not believe my eyes when I recognized the couple of somewhat scruffy looking fellows who were in there to be Andy and Brian. They were interested in my peony work, so we talked about that for a while, and then we must have spent an hour and a half just talking and sniffing. The nicest of fellows to be sure.

I'm not sure if you got the same impression that I did, but it seemed that they were not there to promote their line, but more just as tourists who were checking the area out. Which made talking with them all the more casual.

It was funny, because when I got back to my sister's house, I wrote a PM to our fellow Portland member Akahina, and he mentioned that he had been only a couple of blocks away at the Fred Meyer at the time.

As you said, it's difficult to convey to non-frag friends just how exciting an experience like this was, but it certainly made my trip to Portland, I must say !

Whew Basenotes : It's a small world for sure.

What a great story! How lucky to have spoken with him...I really admire Andy Tauer, and adore his fragrance concepts. I am a great fan of no.12 Eau D'Epices, and have his discovery sample set. I also read his blogs, and am impressed by his natural, unassuming style. A very nice person, who has created beautiful and unique fragrances!

I have yet to sniff an Andy scent. Really need a discovery set. I think he gave away a few a while back and I didn't win any, bummer!

Awesome that you will able to shoot the breeze with Andy!.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I have yet to sniff an Andy scent. Really need a discovery set. I think he gave away a few a while back and I didn't win any, bummer!

Awesome that you will able to shoot the breeze with Andy!.
    Highly recommended -

http://www.tauerperfumes.com/discovery-set.html

Disclaimer: This User is not affiliated with TAUER PERFUMES.

Thanks for that link Ursula! I have been on that page before. Looking, debating which ones to try...hopefully, before too much longer I will get a set.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I met Andy last year at Scentbar. I'm wasn't very familiar with his frags but he seemed nice enough to walk me through a few.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cbstarker View Post
    Wow, I am so envious of you! Andy is one of my perfume heros. I fell in love with his line a couple of years ago and wear Lonestar Memories fairly regularly - among other things. Besides simply loving his creations, he truly IS the nicest and most genuine person I've ever met (only through emails), which only makes me like the product more. He seems to be quite fond of Joshua Tree National Park and I've been tempted to make a cross country drive but something about that is just inappropriate so I sit here and simply admire someone who inspires folks all over the world through his perfumes and his personality. And I put my collection of Tauer (there's a lot more than just LM) right up next to my Guerlain!
    If you fly out to the Vegas BN meetup in October, J-Tree is just a few hours away by a rental car. It's worth a visit just to take in the desert sights, sounds and smells. I also love to wear Tauer scents in the outdoors out West. It's the perfect place for them. I will always remember wearing Incense Rose in the Red Rocks outside of Vegas. It was like it was made to be worn there.