Code of Conduct

Default Is there any reason that I should not buy Equipage?

I buy very gingerly compared to some on this forum; though I sample a lot, I really only buy one or two each season. I am considering getting Equipage tomorrow, as my Winter fragrance (as it now is where I am). I have tried it twice before. The first time, I was unimpressed, for it struck me as an anisic, somewhat superior Reve d'Or. The second time, more recently, I was rather impressed and little intrigued, as though I was smelling another composition entirely. The floral heart of carnation, jasmine and a few things I couldn't identify showed through clearly. The mentholated effect is a strange one, for I am only familiar with it in fragrances from the 20s and 30s - but here it seems to come from pine. Or camphor? And what a remarkable rosewood opening! I missed that altogether the first time. I also got some remarkable compliments - one girl whom I had only asked for directions buried her face in my neck and smiled at me impishly. I can't understand why, for it doesn't strike me as an alluring fragrance, but rather an interesting one. In short, I think there are some complex things going on in Equipage that I have not understood yet and I usually cannot resist investigating mysteries of this kind.

But is there any good reason that I should not get it? For example, is the vintage formulation greatly (rather than just somewhat) superior? Or is there something else in the same genre that I should investigate before I do? Any recommendations from those familiar with this fragrance and its context would be appreciated.

Default Re: Is there any reason that I should not buy Equipage?

Hi Merely,

It took me a few wearings to understand this fragrance. I wasn't smitten at first but then I wore it in the cooler weather here and it took flight. To be perfectly honest I get a 'ginger cookie' vibe from this classic. I do only have the vintage and have not tried the newer scent so I cannot help there. I agree that this does not strike as an alluring fragrance but people have commented how alluring it is on me, not that this has swayed my opinion greatly, but I'm falling in love with Equipage slowly but surely. So I say 'Get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'. It is a must in any man's wardrobe IMO.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there any reason that I should not buy Equipage?
    No. The current formulation is a good as it gets (I have a recent bottle with the standard shape that Hermes is now using for all their fragrances in the masculine line, and I own a mini of vintage Equipage but it has turned a bit watery).

Equipage is way understated, nothing really comes close to it, Guerlain Derby maybe but it is much more expensive.
    Last edited by Reminiscent; 20th May 2012 at 06:32 PM.

Buy it!!! don't hesitate. Equipage is THE masterpiece of the art of perfumery. it's my signature scent since 35 years and i wish it will still be around for many years. last week i was in vienna for recharging my niche perfumes and i ended buying 3 bottles of equipage at the Hermes boutique.

IMO NO. Go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for no. Pity to miss out on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's on my "to buy" list. I'm just waiting to buy it at a moment when I'm really craving it.

I already own Derby, but I think there is enough difference to justify it. I also tend to think that Equipage is more versatile, and more easily wearable in today's fashion universe - at least here in the States.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I quite enjoy Equipage (and own it) but, if this is supposed to be the only fragrance you're buyng for the next season, I would go for Derby. Yes, it's expensier, but there's absolutely no match.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Thank you all for your thoughts. I bought it this morning, and am fairly pleased with the purchase. Ins discreet sillage strikes me as being in the vein of Monsieur de Givenchy, which I love, but more suitable for Winter. Despite that, it feels a bit denser, or 'richer', than it should be for what one is smelling; like hefting a pair of gloves, and finding them unexpectedly heavy. I rarely receive compliments on fragrance, but I was offered the following imaginative one from a perfect stranger an hour into wearing it: "You remind me of a character in a novel I haven't read yet." I cannot say exactly what she meant, or why she put it so, but I assume that Equipage did not detract from this impression. I felt a tad too awkward to ask.

I admire its complexity so far. I have worn it three times so far, and read it differently on each occasion. The first time, I misinterpreted it as anisic tea-rose; the second time, as an attractive opening of rose-wood, followed by a cold and lofty carnation/jasmine; this third time, however, the rosewood whirled by almost too fast for me to notice it, quickly sinking into a very long, discreet drydown of the same floral heart I noted before, only without its edges or the same degree of coldness. It seemed more smooth and lush. It shall be fun to reason out how all this works, and what unnoticed aspects remain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

"This fragrance reminds me of a scent I have not bought yet" ... as a play of words on that lady's compliment. If you constantly get compliments, then this is IT: Your Winter signature scent. Enjoy.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

No•

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with Equipage enough to comment on whether the fragrance is worth purchasing or not, but personally I find fragrances that are "interesting" to be much more worth the purchase than those that merely "smell good". Those that only smell good get boring quick because once you figure them out, a good amount of the intrigue of wearing them is gone.

However those that are interesting and challenge my thinking - especially if it's something that sometimes I like and sometimes I don't - those are the ones I find myself reaching for often just out of curiosity to see if I'll like it more or less than last time.

Burberry Touch is a good example for me because sometimes I wear that and I hate it and other times I wear it and I love it, but out of curiosity I keep wearing it because it forces me to think much moreso than other frags about what is it that I'm not liking and what is it that I am. For this alone Equipage may be worth the purchase because it gives you further time and now the incentive to investigate these mysteries as you put it because you have put your money down

Post Thanks / Like

No. Go for it. It`s the best male scent from Hermès. Period!