Code of Conduct

Default More sprays = increased projection?

I've got Polo Black and Lacoste Elegance, two scents that I absolutely love. Unfortunately, the projection on them seem to be quite poor.

Is increase the projection by spraying more a popular practice?

(side not: how many sprays of Polo Black/Lacoste Elegance do you guys use?)

Default Re: More sprays = increased projection?

Quote Originally Posted by heyguys View Post
    I've got Polo Black and Lacoste Elegance, two scents that I absolutely love. Unfortunately, the projection on them seem to be quite poor.

Is increase the projection by spraying more a popular practice?

(side not: how many sprays of Polo Black/Lacoste Elegance do you guys use?)
    I'd say that this true in most, but not all cases. You'll have to experiment yourself as your skin chemistry and environment will be different to everyone else. However, as a general rule, I'd say the more you use, the more it will project and probably the longer it will last. Be careful though as this may not be a good thing; for instance you may get prolonged top-notes that become quite cloying and overbearing for you and others around you.

How much do you spray usually? Spray some more but no way more than 6 IMO. It'll going to give you and everybody near you a bad result.
    " In a world of 1s and 0s...are you a zero, or The One? "

Three is my spraying max whether the projection is above normal or not.

Yes the more you spray the more projection it will yield.

for swap/sale:

Works for me.

Yes.

Dependent

Works for me too. But just be a little more careful when spraying more than usual
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Dependent

The long answer imo is the more you spray, the denser the projection, and the greater the perceived projection and longevity, since it's the same molecules, but there are just more of them and therefore they're more easily detected.

I layer sprays on top of each other to prolong the longevity and get better projection - so YES!

I always use minimum 8 sprays and up to 15-18 sprays depending on juice and for how long I need it to work (I often work for 12+ hours in a row, so need good longevity)

You simply spray 2-3 on top of each other directly - and in my view this gives you better longevity.

They call me the stinking cologne guy (probably) - of course I wish I could get by with 3-4 sprays, but this does not work for me........no longevity, so I choose to stink for 1-2 hours in order to get solid 8-10 hours longevity, sorry coworkers and neighbours

Reapplying a fragrance from a decant is not an option for me...........
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Generally yes, but not always. Ck Be for example, even with 25 sprays dont projects that much, but lasted a solid 7 hours (versus 2 hours with 7 sprays)

More sprays for me is the only way people will smell me. My dry skin is a sponge...

Quote Originally Posted by heyguys View Post
    ............Unfortunately, the projection...............
    You don't need more "projection".
    Last edited by pluran; 21st May 2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: clarifying his "projection" needs

As a general rule, I'd say yes, but apart from the increased number of sprays, there are also other factors to be taken into consideration, like: application points, skin chemistry, even surrounding weather/climate conditions etc.

Spray it on your clothes.

Banned

The short answer would be yes. If you wish to increase your scent cloud to a certain extent, then by all means, do so. But, be forewarned that the longevity will not be increased materially, merely your scent cloud.

And, see below ↓↓↓ for sage advice.

Quote Originally Posted by teemas View Post
    .... just be a little more careful when spraying more than usual

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    You don't need more "projection".
    And why exactly is this?

Yes. This always works for me when I need a little more longevity. When it wears off on my skin it stays for hours longer on my shirt. When people get close they can still smell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Spray it on your clothes.
    twitter.com/_notufatjesus

6 sprays isn't a whole lot if you do 2 on the neck, 2 on the chest, and 2 on the arms or wrists. When you start spraying 4 on the neck, a couple on the chest and stomach, and on the arms your probably better off buying a body spray. More sprays does mean more projection, but it can also ruin the overall smell of the fragrance on your skin.

I usually do 6-8 sprays. One on each arm, one on each pulse point on either side of the neck, one on the back of the neck and two or three on the chest.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

You should be careful. But I do have that problem with PB. I'll probably do around 5 sprays. I wish it wasn't so mild of a scent - this stuff is great.

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    The long answer imo is the more you spray, the denser the projection, and the greater the perceived projection and longevity, since it's the same molecules, but there are just more of them and therefore they're more easily detected.
    This man speaketh the truth! You can't change the distance a fragrance projects bc that is dependent on its intrinsic properties for a given temperature. However, spraying more increases the density of the trail/sillage thereby giving you the perception of a fuller smell. This means up close, the scent is stronger but it may not project much further than it did with one squirt. If you want a STRONG fragrance, buy the STRONG fragrances; there are no tricks or cheat secrets.
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Versace Man by Versace
    Iceberg The Fragrance by Iceberg
    Amber Intense by Prada
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Burberry London
    Lanvin Avant Garde

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    this covers all you need to know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OlfactoryExperience View Post
    If you want a STRONG fragrance, buy the STRONG fragrances
    that's right!

very interesting comments, thank you all...

I own Polo Black and have learned that I need to cake it on. I own the aftershave balm as well, so if I'm going to wear Black, I'll use the balm, then a shot on each wrist + a couple on my chest. Seems to work for me.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

The same goes for Polo double Black. I really like the fragrance, but longevity & projection are quite poor on my skin. It's tough balance, though, because over-applying on black or DB to me can become cloying pretty quickly. I tend to stick with 2-4 sprays for almost all of my frags, otherwise any of them can start to become cloying to me. I've also learned my skin doesn't hold fragrance very well for the most part, so I tend to gravitate toward stronger frags in general.

Going back to the polo frags, though, funny thing is, I have a friend that wears polo black & it smells great on him, projects very well for quite a while & he only needs a couple sprays. Man, I wish my skin held fragrances that well...

Do moisturizers actually increase projection too?

Quote Originally Posted by kocy View Post
    Do moisturizers actually increase projection too?
    It just helps with longevity
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Hold the bottle closer to your skin.

The best way to increase the projection is by spraying the perfume on your pulse and apply a moisturizer right on the perfume. Massage it gently until both sinks into the skin. Again spray another layer of perfume right above the moisturizer. This would provide projection and longivity all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    Hold the bottle closer to your skin.
    Interesting advice, I'll try this. I have Dolce & Gabbana - The One with the same issue.. it just dies off so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in California View Post
    Interesting advice, I'll try this. I have Dolce & Gabbana - The One with the same issue.. it just dies off so quickly.
    This fragrance is known for this... Spraying more/differently won't help out a whole lot.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    More sprays for me is the only way people will smell me. My dry skin is a sponge...
    Agreed... If you tend to have dry skin you have to spray more to get the desired strength. Everyone here praises Le male as a projection monster and that it last 12+ Hrs on them. Well on me it last a measley 3-4 hrs mark and thats it. If I sprayed more it might have lasted longer but hey thats just a general rule.

The number of sprays does increase projection but only as long as the fragrance actually lasts.

I have a 3-5 spray maximum with all of my fragrances.

Depends on the fragrance. For instance, I would spray 6 shots of AdG but spray once with Montale's Black Aoud.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I usually carry a small atomizer with me and spray myself throughout the day when it comes to weaker fragrances such as D&G The One.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    This fragrance is known for this... Spraying more/differently won't help out a whole lot.
    Sadly, this is entirely true. D&G really needs to step up and make The One last longer...

OP, it will either increase projection or become cloying, so just be careful

I'm rethinking my overspraying habit: yesterday a visitor stank up my office terribly with what I suspect was Allure Homme Édition Blanche. He'd clearly overdone the whole thing and transformed a perfectly decent cologne into chemical warfare. I'm going to go down to two double-taps max with most juices...I think.

Quote Originally Posted by renperd View Post
    I'm rethinking my overspraying habit: yesterday a visitor stank up my office terribly with what I suspect was Allure Homme Édition Blanche. He'd clearly overdone the whole thing and transformed a perfectly decent cologne into chemical warfare. I'm going to go down to two double-taps max with most juices...I think.
    Be careful to think he was wearing an Eau de toilette. Depending where you live some people you come across as strong maybe wearing a Perfume body oil. They come across as overly strong and very cloying. Just a thought.

Polo Black isn't THAT weak to warrant bathing in a bottle. It gives a good 6 hours from 4-5 sprays which is more than acceptable. Yes, spraying more equals more projection and longevity. Just like adding more sugar to your tea makes it sweeter. But you do reach a certain point where the returns become deminished.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

If you want a STRONG fragrance, buy the STRONG fragrances; there are no tricks or cheat secrets.
    This...no matter what you do 99cents will never be a dollar.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

Spraying more just makes you think that you're projecting further away. It's not like adding more sugar to tea at all. The truth is, the smell immediately around you is more dense in the smell = those close to you will notice better.
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Versace Man by Versace
    Iceberg The Fragrance by Iceberg
    Amber Intense by Prada
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Burberry London
    Lanvin Avant Garde

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Basenotes Plus

Spraying more just makes you think that you're projecting further away. It's not like adding more sugar to tea at all. The truth is, the smell immediately around you is more dense in the smell = those close to you will notice better.
    You've heard of "that cologne guy", right? He gets that label because he sprays it too many times, hence more sprays equals more projection.

Basenotes Plus

I think it really depends on the juice...you spray Montales Black Aoud 6 times on your skin you better have a respirator handy. If I need some additionally longevity or projection, I typically will hit my clothes a bit. That normally does the trick...Im not interested in leaving a scent trail for my future generations! lol
    I was born to shoot guns and smell good doin it!

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg