Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Roadster or Heeley Menthe Fraiche

Mint. Help me decide.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cartier Roadster or Heeley Menthe Fraiche

Not sure about the Heeley, but a warning on Roadster. It has a great mint-n-wood combo, but I find that after one day, it just feels a bit synthetic, and I almost never want to wear it two days in a row. I don't think I could use it in my main rotation.

The part behind the mint reminds me in some ways of Banana Republic Black Walnut, and the red-bottle Givenchy Pour Homme. That same sort of fresh, clean, transparent, woody thing.

Roadster, no question.

HEELEY! come on now....Roadster isn't even close. Geranium Pour Monsieur is another one to consider.

Geranium PM is a very nice scent. Lil pricey....

Heeley Menthe Fraiche

I really like Roadster. Classy work scent for me. Like it better than Geranium PM.

Have not tried Heeley but once researched it since it gets consistently good reviews. As I recall it was expensive.

Creed Selection Verte is liked by some but I didn't like it.

Roadster is good stuff, certainly more natural smelling than something like Lacoste Booster, although it does have a bit of a scratchy woody-drydown late in the show. Heeleys is higher fidelity but for the budget Roadster works well.
    -

I never got wood from Roadster but rather vetiver. It's a full-fledged frag, whereas the HMF has more of a short-lasting soliflore quality to me. Roaster is good enough for my mint frag needs, and I enjoy it for hours.

I wanted to like Roadster but the back end is a bit mundane - feels cheap, frankly. Haven't tried the Heeley. Geranium Pour Monsieur is my go to for mint and occasionally Herba Fresca (also from Ms. Laurent - Roadster). Nicolai Pour Homme & C&S Oxford & Cambridge (minty lavender).

I love Heeley Menthe Fraiche because it's a mint fragrance up top with a Silver Mountain Water heart and drydown, but it's not nearly as good as Lush Dirty. Dirty is a clean herbal/spearmint fragrance that in my opinion is fantastic. It's a high quality fragrance where the mint last for well over 6 hours which is unheard of and the scent itself last over 12 hours which is also unheard of for a fresh fragrance. Can't recommend this enough for people who are looking for mint fragrance.

Basenotes Junkie

Neither Roadster of Menthe Fraiche. Roadster is all about wood with a tiny bit of mint for about 3 minutes. Menthe Fraiche is good and minty for a little while then it is all about Yerba Mate...besides the whole frag is gone within an hour of applying. If you want awesome mint go for Herba Fresca as has been mentioned...it's fantastic and it's the green leaf mint, I love it!! And I also highly recommend Lush's Dirty also. There is something amazing about it and it is mint from start to finish and the longevity is great on this one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Roadster is good stuff ....
    I agree.

Albeit Menthe Fraiche by Heeley is one of the best, mint-based scents, I am also cognizant of the price point, and the lack of any meaningful projection or longevity with regard to this fragrance.

It depends on how you like your mint. Menthe Fraiche offers straight mint while Roadster has mint in the mix with other notes so the mint is not that visible.

Both have flaws in my eyes.

Menthe Fraiche is refreshing but it is too simple and short-lasting for the high price tag. It feels like something created by L'occitain and I'm not saying that L'occitain is low quality or bad. L'occitain is a nice and affordable all natural niche house. What I mean is that Menthe Fraiche feels like something you would pay $50 retail for

Roadster is well-crafted and elegant but the mint is blended with other notes so well that I cannot consider this is a mint focus fragrance. The drydown turns salty/bad on my skin which means it is not a fragrance that agrees on all skin chemistry and not a good blind buy.

Bottom line is you should test them first and see which one you like and which price you're willing to pay for

Menthe Fraiche without a doubt. I get great longevity and projection from this natural smelling mint fragrance. Excellent tea note as well.

Heeley Menthe Fraiche

Sound Scents

Heeley Menthe Fraiche is my reference mint scent... It is also my choice.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I haven't smelled Heeley MF, but Roadster is good schtuff. It lasts 10-12 hours and the mint note is very well done.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    ...a warning on Roadster. It has a great mint-n-wood combo, but I find that after one day, it just feels a bit synthetic, and I almost never want to wear it two days in a row.
    Yep....and that's exactly why I swapped my bottle right away. Menthe Fraiche is pretty good indeed but somewhat I never pulled the trigger on a full bottle, which I happened to do for both Guerlain Herba Fresca and Geranium Pour Monsieur...I guess this says pretty much all...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Not really a fan of either. I'm one who tends to prefer the candy/toothpaste type mint over the fresh herbal variety. Also, I prefer sweeter spearmint over peppermint. With that said, I prefer the mint note in YSL's Live Jazz over Roadster or Menthe Fraiche. (I haven't tried Dirty or Mentafollia, but plan on getting samples soon). I guess with mint, it all depends on what type of mint you prefer & if you prefer it as the dominant note or just a supporting element. I would be interested in people's opinions on the best fragrance with a dominant, sweet, candy/toothpaste type mint note though. Would Lush Dirty or Guerlain's Mentfollia lean more in that direction?

Sur la Plage

Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Menthe Moderne
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Menthe Moderne
    Joe,
    How would this hold up in Summer heat? Would it get cloying?
    Neal

Kind of just realized as I am sitting here with my Menthe Fraiche that what I am looking for is Peppermint, not Spearmint. I had posted a thread a while back with this inquiry and can no longer find it. So with that said...Peppermint recommendations? Is Guerlain Herba Fresca peppermint?

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Kind of just realized as I am sitting here with my Menthe Fraiche that what I am looking for is Peppermint, not Spearmint. I had posted a thread a while back with this inquiry and can no longer find it. So with that said...Peppermint recommendations? Is Guerlain Herba Fresca peppermint?
    Now your talking toothpaste or chewing gum because peppermint has a sweetness to it. Lacoste Booster is the only fragrance I have or have smelled that has a lot of peppermint and or Eucalyptus. Plus it has a great soapy drydown. Inexpensive, but fits the bill.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    I would be interested in people's opinions on the best fragrance with a dominant, sweet, candy/toothpaste type mint note though. Would Lush Dirty or Guerlain's Mentfollia lean more in that direction?
    Yes, Lush's Dirty would lean more toward the direction of candy/toothpaste. It's awesome. I love mint in any form so I'll take it where I can get it. Mentafollia has some great mint but to me it is more of a tea scent than a mint scent, though mint is a strong player in this one...the mint in Mantafollia is a less sweet mint so I guess it would lean toward toothpaste but the tea note is so strong that it sweetens the fragrance but not the mint per say, if that makes sense..all the same it's a great fragrance also.

And for what your asking about the best dominant, sweet, candy/toothpaste type of mint, I would definitely say that Lush's Dirty would fit the bill. I have tried just about every mint frag out there and Dirty is definitely the best frag for what you are looking for, in my opinion.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Joe,
    How would this hold up in Summer heat? Would it get cloying?
    Neal
    I think it has a nice cooling effect - so would be perfect.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    Roadster, no question.
    +1.

Heeley if it werent for the poor longevity .....

Is Lacoste Booster at all similar to C&S Oxford and Cambridge?

Sampled Roadster again the other day and I turned on this one. While longevity was great, the mint was fleeting and the dry down was a cheapened Pasha that I didn't like at all.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Heeley Menthe Fraiche without hesitation.

Check out Phaedon's "Noire Marine". Nothing "oceanic" about it.
    The Egyptian peppermint is so fresh and bracing, balanced by some tobacco and resin.
    My motto for life: "If you have to choose, choose BOTH."