Code of Conduct

Default Spicy, uplifting, light cologne for men?

Hi, I'm pretty new to cologne's... I'm looking for suggestions to add a certain scent to my collection... I find a lot of the cologne's on the market that are labelled "spicy" to actually be sweet. I'm starting to detest all of these sweet cologne's designed for men! Sweet is for Perfume and for women in my opinion. I find opium by ysl to be slightly spicy but quite sweet and citrusy as well. I've tried YSL homme libre and find it too sweet as well. Even Fahrenheit and Hot Water are kind of sweet to me. Now with that in mind, I'm also looking for uplifting and light. The closest things to this scent I want, are Terre D'hermes and Dirty English (but they're a little too heavy)... any suggestions for light, uplifting, and spicy without a dash of sweetness or powder?
    Thanks! This is my first post! =)

Banned

Default Re: Spicy, uplifting, light cologne for men?

Try:

Story by Paul Smith - One is initially treated to a blast of a lemony and slightly peppery, citric accord. The herbal and faintly woody aspects of ivy leaf intrude upon and commingle with this sparkling citrus, providing a crisp, leafy opening, which saunters to the awaiting middle. Here, in the heart, a floral potion from the sweet jasmine and cardboard-like mustiness of rose leaf tempers the jarring opening, and transitions to the welcoming base. An altering melange of grass-like and clean vetiver, white musk, with its laundered-linen illusion, as well as a rugged, mineral amber coalesce. With an errant metallic and faintly minty something fluttering about, the dry woodiness of cedar squires the cleanly mix to a refreshing drydown. This light and fresh composition has good projection and longevity, and will bloom in the spring, summer and fall. A very nice fragrance which can be had rather inexpensively.

&

Cartier Declaration is by the same perfumer as TdeH and quite similar but lighter. Much as I like TdeH, I'm starting to like Declaration more.

Bleu de Chanel comes to mind

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Bleu de Chanel comes to mind
    I agree.

Perhaps Spicebomb.

Some people dont think so but I get spicy out of 360Red. I picked up a 6.7oz for something like 30 bucks, so it wont break the bank. Polo Black is okay, but poor longevity

Basenotes Member

Welcome to Basenotes!

Hmmm...Spicy, light & uplifting: I'll echo Hermes Voyage. It was suggested in your other thread & I tested it yesterday. It moves a little soapy (not a bad thing) but remains nice, light & clean smelling. I thought the silver clasp on the bottle was a little clunky.

Like yourself, I am not drawn to overly sweet fragrances. Especially as the temperature rises, sweet seems to be the opposite of what I desire in a fragrance.
    That said, I think it's useful to remember that sweetness is subjective and that there's a continuum to this idea. For example, in celebration of summer (& my general lack of responsibility) I am frequently wearing Creed's Virgin Island Water. I'd say this has a sweetness to it, but it's cut by the lime component. In a beverage analogy, think how lemonade or limeade may be sweet yet still taste refreshing due to the sour citrus.
    Along the same idea, I try and avoid the idea of masculine and feminine as clear boundaries in fragrance. There may certainly be fragrances that you associate more clearly with one gender, but don't be trapped by this either/or way of thinking. You'll limit your choices based on how things are marketed instead if how they smell to you.
    Why just yesterday I had to bravely cross the M/F demarcation line in the store to try the greenest, boldest scent offered...
    Anyway, keep on smelling & good luck in finding a great frag that suits you!
    "To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower..." - William Blake

Allure Homme

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes! Try Lacoste (Original). Look at the pyramid -- Citrus, Spicy, Sandalwood. The scent is refreshing, clean, and yet, masculine. Lacoste has a solid longevity on me with a good projection.